Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

The only compressor I own is for my airbrush so I don't think I'd get far with that, the hvlp kits look more like it. I'm in the UK as well. Thanks for the answers..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

wormil posted:

How much nail gun will it run? After the kitchen remodel I decided my days of hammer swinging on bigger projects has come to an end.

Most of the nails I fired with it were 8d box nails, for the plywood sheathing, and it'll happily do that for quite some time. I could finish an entire 4'x8' sheet without running out of air, and that's all I really needed. I also did some 16d box nails (framing nails) with it, and it'll do that too though it needs to stop to recharge a lot more often. You only need...I think it was 90-95 PSI? to run the nailer; bigger compressors just give you more time between waiting for the compressor to "refill" itself.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

wormil posted:

How much nail gun will it run? After the kitchen remodel I decided my days of hammer swinging on bigger projects has come to an end.

Also, on the one with accessories it had this note:

Anyone know what that means?

It's a refurb and it wasn't CTC (climatic test chamber) tested like the factory new ones. The counterpart to that in the testing world is a TTC (temperature test chamber).

I wouldn't worry about it unless you live in a swamp.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
Helped a neighbor shovel snow and she tried to pay me. I declined and we got to talking and she mentioned her deceased husband had tools. I asked and she took me into the garage. She has offered to give me this:
http://imgur.com/Ekvzd1W

A Moser safe with combo. She also gave me some ancient pliers, a brace and hand drill that need some TLC.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Mercury Ballistic posted:

Helped a neighbor shovel snow and she tried to pay me. I declined and we got to talking and she mentioned her deceased husband had tools. I asked and she took me into the garage. She has offered to give me this:

A Moser safe with combo. She also gave me some ancient pliers, a brace and hand drill that need some TLC.

Congrats on your new best friend. :hf:

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

Mercury Ballistic posted:

Random trivia: IIRC those are similar (I need to check my Tobias bible) to the ones that Richard Feynman used to crack open while working at the Manhattan project.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Does anyone know what the big differences are between these two Makita sets?

CT225R
XT211

The second one looks better to my eyes and is $10 less. 3 Amp-hour batteries instead of 2, a hammer driver-drill, and an (IMO) easier to transport hard-case instead of soft bag (though the bag probably makes it easier to also transport the charger and batteries?)

Edit: Oh, and then there's this one which looks like the first one only white colored and $20 less?
CT200RW

DrBouvenstein fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Feb 1, 2016

bobua
Mar 23, 2003
I'd trade it all for just a little more.

Maybe this is already well known(about all battery powered 'hammer' drills) but my makita cordless drill, which I love, does not work as a hammer drill in the least, which is to say that no matter how great\small the bit is I couldn't get into concrete, while the actual makita hammer drill drove like butter. Just an fyi if that's a factor for you.

Spindle sander chat. I'm burning through sand paper like toilet paper. The just fall apart after a few uses. Should I be spending more or is this just the way it is?

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius
The CT225R has slightly better (bit smaller, bit lighter, bit more powerful) models of the drills/drivers.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

bobua posted:

Maybe this is already well known(about all battery powered 'hammer' drills) but my makita cordless drill, which I love, does not work as a hammer drill in the least, which is to say that no matter how great\small the bit is I couldn't get into concrete, while the actual makita hammer drill drove like butter. Just an fyi if that's a factor for you.

I don't want to insult your knowledge since I have no idea where it lies, but I have to ask: are you sure the cordless makita driver in question is actually a hammer drill and not an impact driver? Because there's a huuuuuuuuge difference, and would readily explain your experience. :shobon:

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

DrBouvenstein posted:

CT225R
XT211

The second one looks better to my eyes and is $10 less. 3 Amp-hour batteries instead of 2, a hammer driver-drill, and an (IMO) easier to transport hard-case instead of soft bag (though the bag probably makes it easier to also transport the charger and batteries?)

Edit: Oh, and then there's this one which looks like the first one only white colored and $20 less?
CT200RW

The white tools are generally lower-quality and not as rugged.

The difference between the 2 other kits are pretty minor. The hammerdrill is usable in cement, but pales in comparison to a real SDS hammer drill. Even small stones in concrete will stop it dead. However, the CT255R has a more compact drill, but the impact doesn't have the GITD ring on the nose, which is actually useful. The CT kit uses lighter tools, which can be a plus, but the small batteries are a big downside. Basically, the XT is older, heavier tools, and the CT is newer, lighter tools with minor improvements.

Here's the specs for the tools themselves:
CT Kit:
http://makitatools.com/en-us/Modules/Tools/ToolDetails.aspx?Name=XFD10Z
http://makitatools.com/en-us/Modules/Tools/ToolDetails.aspx?Name=XDT11Z

XT Kit:
http://makitatools.com/en-us/Modules/Tools/ToolDetails.aspx?Name=XPH01Z
http://makitatools.com/en-us/Modules/Tools/ToolDetails.aspx?Name=XDT04Z

You'll notice that Makita calls out the older tools with the comparisons to the newer tools. Direct competitors to one another.

If it were me, I'd do the XT211. The bigger batteries are a HUGE difference. I just bought 5AH batteries to avoid swapping so much. Toss the hard case, and get a good-sized bag or a big hard case. I use the duffel that came with my 4-piece kit if I'm carrying a bunch of tools, or a big Pelican case if I need weatherproof/rugged storage. The hard cases are pretty bad, there's barely enough room for the tools with batteries installed, and the charger usually. Maybe that one has some additional storage in the lid, but unless you just need to carry some bits/screws, you'll want more room.

If you can swing it, I'd check out the brushless models. More power, more runtime, and no downsides.

sharkytm fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Feb 1, 2016

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup
That white set looks nearly identical to the drill and driver I have from Makita in 12V.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
Seconding brushless--you get much more battery life and tool longevity. Also nthing makita--I had no idea just how awesome cordless tools could be until I picked up a set. For instance, this cordless shop light is by far and away one of my favorite tools. You never know just how much you need instant portable daylight until you have it.

Regarding the hammer drill, did you set it to the hammer function? In addition to setting the chuck to hammer, there's a button on top that I was completely oblivious to for the longest time. Otherwise, yeah, any hammer drill pales in comparison to a proper sds hammer drill, corded or cordless. It's just a completely different design and bit (grooves in the shank allow it to move up and down). The Makita one works fine for quikrete and brick though, at least in my experience.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Odd question that maybe doesn't have an answer but in my wheeling and dealing with used tools I've been seeing a lot of drill bits with mutilated shanks. Where someone has taken a grinder and mutilated the shank so the bit will no longer center in a chuck. These bits are coming from various sources so it isn't just a fluke or some weirdness from a single place. Why would someone do that? The bits look fine, they don't appear to be burnt and one was a hole saw.

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

Got a picture? They may be grinding them to fit in a Weldon shank holder, which has a setscrew that comes in the side and grips a flat in the shank. Why anyone would do that for a drillbit is beyond me, though.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
Or for use with hole saws, which have a set screwdriver as well.

I've also seen plenty of home attempts at three sided anti spin shanks, with dreadful results.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I'll see if I have any left, but I believe all the mangled ones were thrown into a box and sold by the pound. At first I thought maybe for a set screw, but they were too beat up. Then I thought someone was trying to make a 1/2" shank fit into a 1/4 or 3/8 chuck, but some of them were 1/4 and 3/8 shank. So I have no idea. Other theories were maybe they were bent, or overheated, and someone made sure they couldn't be reused, but they looked fine. If you search on ebay for drill bits by the pound, you'll sometimes be able to see damaged shanks. One was a nice Millers Falls hole saw shank that someone ground into a lopsided hexagon-like shape that wobbled terribly. Shame.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

OSU_Matthew posted:

Seconding brushless--you get much more battery life and tool longevity. Also nthing makita--I had no idea just how awesome cordless tools could be until I picked up a set.

I've considered them, but these are just for home use, and will easily go days, maybe even a couple weeks, without needing to be used. Although it's also the middle of winter, so it's not like I'm going to be doing any projects around the house, and that will change come summer.

I dunno...I know in the grand scheme of things, another $50 to upgrade to brushless isn't much, so maybe I will.

Is this the current go-to for Makita brushless?

And only 2.0Ah batteries, another $50 to get the kit with 4.0Ah batteries., and I also saw a kit with 3.0Ah batteries for $289.

Granted, I've only looked at HD so far, but that's because I've got $100 in HD gift cards waiting to get used...I've got $75 in Lowe's GC, though it looks like Lowe's doesn't carry Makita, but I'm not 100% attached to them, but they seem like a good balance of quality and price.

One Legged Ninja
Sep 19, 2007
Feared by shoe salesmen. Defeated by chest-high walls.
Fun Shoe

wormil posted:

At first I thought maybe for a set screw,

If you have a crappy chuck, as most drills do, and drill into metal, you can spin the bit in the chuck and raise a burr (or three). Maybe it was an attempt to "clean them up."

bobua
Mar 23, 2003
I'd trade it all for just a little more.

Bad Munki posted:

I don't want to insult your knowledge since I have no idea where it lies, but I have to ask: are you sure the cordless makita driver in question is actually a hammer drill and not an impact driver? Because there's a huuuuuuuuge difference, and would readily explain your experience. :shobon:

No worries. I have the impact driver in addition to the drill, which has 3 settings, one being a picture of a hammer, so I assume it's a hammer function.

Deedle
Oct 17, 2011
before you ask, yes I did inform the DMV of my condition and medication, and I passed the medical and psychological evaluation when I got my license. I've passed them every time I have gone to renew my license.

bobua posted:

No worries. I have the impact driver in addition to the drill, which has 3 settings, one being a picture of a hammer, so I assume it's a hammer function.
Hammer drills are largely bullshit and are in no way a substitute for a rotary hammer.

One is a drill that vibrates, the other is a pneumatic hammer that can rotate to auger crap out of the hole it's hammering.

I have a 30 euro cheapo rotary hammer and it runs circles around the most expensive hammer drill money can buy.

My drill has a hammer setting, which is useless for anything harder than a red clay brick. It sort of works for putting up shelves in the shed, but it barely touches the concrete my house is made of.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I drilled five 1/2" by 5" holes in my cement parking pad with a 12v Milwaukee hammer drill. I'm surprised I didn't wreck the thing—parts were too hot to touch at points.

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Radio got his free iPod, did you get yours???
What device do I need that'll tell me how many watts an outlet can handle?

I have a couple of outlets in my kitchen that are the "-| |" style ones that are supposed to indicate they are the 20A outlets, but how do I know for sure that I can plug in a 2000w appliance - a heat stick, in my case - and not have bad results?

Is there a tool that I can insert into the outlet and determine what load it can handle safely?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

wattershed posted:

What device do I need that'll tell me how many watts an outlet can handle?

I have a couple of outlets in my kitchen that are the "-| |" style ones that are supposed to indicate they are the 20A outlets, but how do I know for sure that I can plug in a 2000w appliance - a heat stick, in my case - and not have bad results?

Is there a tool that I can insert into the outlet and determine what load it can handle safely?

Find the breaker for the outlet and make sure it's 20A.

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

DrBouvenstein posted:

Find the breaker for the outlet and make sure it's 20A.

...and that'll be clearly labeled? I'm a bit worried our contractor wouldn't have done that. It's been a few years and only now have I found myself needing an outlet that has to provide 20A. If it's not labeled, is there a no-brainer way to tell if it's what I need?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

wattershed posted:

...and that'll be clearly labeled? I'm a bit worried our contractor wouldn't have done that. It's been a few years and only now have I found myself needing an outlet that has to provide 20A. If it's not labeled, is there a no-brainer way to tell if it's what I need?

The amperage of the breaker will be written on it.

For example, the numbers on the switches in this picture ('15's and '20's):

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

Sorry I'm late, I'm afraid I got lost on the path of life.

wattershed posted:

If your breakers are relatively recent (last 20 years at least), they'll always be labeled with their amperage rating. Now if the paint has worn off...

E,fb - that image is a good example.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

wattershed posted:

Plug it in and run it. If it goes over the rated breaker, it'll throw it.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Mr. Mambold posted:

Unless it's a stab-lok! :science:

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Contractor might have put a bigger breaker on cable not of sufficient size, check the gauge of the wire.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Mr. Mambold posted:

It will throw it after a while not instantly.

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Thank you everyone! I'll check this all when I get home. It's all beer-related so it's very important.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

deimos posted:

It will throw it after a while not instantly.

Actually it will throw it instantly after a while. :colbert:

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Karia posted:

Got a picture? They may be grinding them to fit in a Weldon shank holder, which has a setscrew that comes in the side and grips a flat in the shank. Why anyone would do that for a drillbit is beyond me, though.

This is the only picture I could find. This is only one, the rest were regular drill bits.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.
That looks like a broach. Is the hex a standard wrench size?

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

oxbrain posted:

That looks like a broach. Is the hex a standard wrench size?

It's not standard anything. Someone took an angle grinder to it and ruined the shank. The facets are irregular and it wobbles like crazy if you chuck it in a drill.

The only other explanation I can think of is someone got the bits stuck and grinding seemed like the answer. Or they tried grinding them down to fit a smaller chuck but the bits came from different sources.
:iiam:

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Zhentar posted:

All the cool kids buy the Porter-cable pancake.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Can confirm, I built my workshop with this thing.

I will not be one of the cool kids sadly, happened on a Bostitch combo deal for $98 to my door and decided it was too good to pass up. I actually missed an $88 deal on the same 2 days earlier because I hesitated and someone snagged it while I was scratching my head. When it came up at $98 (97.78) I didn't hesitate. The downside is I got my carts and horses hitched the wrong way around and bought that Shop Fox brad gun a few days earlier, which now I don't need since the Bostitch comes with one.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

DrBouvenstein posted:

CT225R
XT211

CT200RW

If you haven't bought already, there's a one-day sale: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Makita-1...31893/206498074
XT211+Bit set for $149.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
I've finally sold the wife on a router so that I can finish some basic cabinetry we need done. What should I be looking for, in a basic table & router to do really simple rounding of dimensional wood and to mill in a channel for a cap, in a package that can stow on a shelf. I don't need a big fixed table, and I'm on a budget so I won't be getting a Freud or whatever's expensive.

Is there an rpm range I should be looking at? Minimum Hp? I've just used my father in law's router in the past so I don't know a lot about them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
For lack of a better place to post this, I figure here is as good as any spot.

My neighbor is tying to get rid of this old York Safe. She has a combo, and it looks like it has seen some years. It literally weighs a ton as far as I can tell give or take a few hundred pounds. I am not sure if it is either worth something to someone, or worthless and I said I would try to help her out in getting it out of her hair.
Does anyone know if this thing is scrap, valuable, or somewhere in between?

http://imgur.com/a/6Z9K8