Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I'm been making a few different custom soldiers based off the president elections.

I think the hockey mask is a subtle touch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Advantages to Australia :
Played for 3 hours before work
Should be a fine 30 Celsius today

Cons:
80% of my soldiers are wounded.
Showered with a spider this morning.

Worth it? I think so.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Antti posted:

I'm up to tutorial mission 3 and this is one of the rookies the game randomly spits at me.

GOTY 2016.
well THAT'S going into the OP

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Also some additional Solomon's Wisdom:

Challenge gladly accepted.

Also, being 1 hour away from unlock meself, is there some sort of trick to getting it to unpack BEFORE the release time? Right now it just downloaded the 25GB, I think, but doubt it unpacked it, or maybe it did while I was gone?

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

So yeah, how skippable is the tutorial? Is there any cool story in there that I should have, or can I just jump straight to Ironman and go?

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club
Overwatch bug

Hitting the overwatch hotkey too rapidly will disable overwatch for remaining soldiers until the next turn.

loving Christ, Firaxis. This is some basic poo poo. Already abandoning Ironman.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Hey, for people still looking to get a discount on XCom 2, it's still active via GMG's VIP site: http://www.greenmangaming.com/vip/

No code needed.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

jng2058 posted:

So yeah, how skippable is the tutorial? Is there any cool story in there that I should have, or can I just jump straight to Ironman and go?

had i tried playing with ironman enabled at release my first campaign of EU would have ended in a corrupt savegame in the middle of the temple ship

please don't actually enable ironman at release

Operant
Apr 1, 2010

LET THERE BE NO GENESIS

jng2058 posted:

Probably do it, then restart for your official MAN MODE

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat

CrazyLoon posted:

Challenge gladly accepted.

Also, being 1 hour away from unlock meself, is there some sort of trick to getting it to unpack BEFORE the release time? Right now it just downloaded the 25GB, I think, but doubt it unpacked it, or maybe it did while I was gone?

I don't think you can unpack it before release time.

I'm also curious as to what these "subtle traps" are on the commander difficulty, because I'd like to play on that difficulty but I dislike unforeseeable strategic layer shenanigans.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

So, is anyone making a Goon Character Depository?

Captain Hair
Dec 31, 2007

Of course, that can backfire... some men like their bitches crazy.
I decided rather than unlocking and playing now, that since we can .ini file the game to pull guys from a specific pool first that I'd have a last run through xcom ew and play it "Canon" or kinda how the book had it. So no rushing lasers or Mecs or anything like that, just a quick run on impossible with all the 2nd wave options turned on with the rule being that my campaign ends when I shoot down my second ship. Anyone left alive gets remade in xcom2 to continue the fight.

Lasted till April 4th, lost a lot of good soldiers. Only have 5 guys left alive to import over. What a bloodbath :(

Gems of the campaign included Training roulette sprinter/revive/savour assault "petit" who apparently wanted so badly to become a medic :) and also that I got the van dorn mission and saved him!

Can't wait till tomorrow!

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Antti posted:

I'm up to tutorial mission 3 and this is one of the rookies the game randomly spits at me.

GOTY 2016.

One of my first guys was a Japanese dude who had the same hair and glasses and was also black. He looked pretty drat badass. Also I think like half of my female soldiers are white and bald, seems like maybe a small bug.

For anyone with a lovely laptop wondering about performance: I'm running this on a surface pro 3 that has an Intel HD 4400 in it and while it's certainly not smooth the game is playable in 720p with everything turned off/down. I'd say this is probably the bare minimum that you can actually play it on, anything lower and I imagine the framerate would just be too annoying.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Jack Trades posted:

So, is anyone making a Goon Character Depository?

yes we're working on it

Henry Scorpio
Mar 20, 2006

Maybe it just collapsed on its own?

Deuce posted:

Overwatch bug

Hitting the overwatch hotkey too rapidly will disable overwatch for remaining soldiers until the next turn.

loving Christ, Firaxis. This is some basic poo poo. Already abandoning Ironman.

Beagle does this all the time in his stream and it didn't cause a problem...

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Alright, my entry to the character pool:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9no9c81teawgol9/Jabor.bin?dl=0

Not a spectacularly good likeness, but you know.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Hey, reloading doesn't count as an action, you can reload and shoot in the same turn. Nice.

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer
If you set a soldier pool person as say psionic then make your initial spawn pool only character pool entries, does that mean they will automatically be a psionic?

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
What's the consensus so far, or is everyone too busy playing pretty princess with their soldiers?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

thank mr green man gaming

Bought a second copy because my first, I realized too late, was regular not digital deluxe. Still able to get the discount.

Spare code is going to my fiancee or I'd throw it out for a goon to claim.

I'm loving hype

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Henry Scorpio posted:

It don't happen to everyone all the time, that's what makes it a bug. I definitely got it during my first mission but a quick save/load fixed it, so just do that instead of actually ending your turn. Speaking of which loading a save is super quick which is nice while the game had launch day bugs.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

monster on a stick posted:

What's the consensus so far, or is everyone too busy playing pretty princess with their soldiers?

GAME

GOOD

GOOD

GAME

Innerguard posted:

If you set a soldier pool person as say psionic then make your initial spawn pool only character pool entries, does that mean they will automatically be a psionic?
from what i understand setting a preferred class will make sure your class is what you ask for, yes. though you will still spawn as a rookie unless you demand a specific rank. but if you demand a specific rank you outright won't spawn unless the player has access to that rank through other methods (such as the black market)

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I've had soldiers shoot at different targets than I have had selected. Don't play ironman.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

monster on a stick posted:

3/4 my soldiers died in first mission, 2/4 dead in second mission, and I failed the primary objective

10/10 would xcom again

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Anyone else have graphical stuttering/lag? I can run Witcher 3 at ultra flawlessly but wow some screens here have rough stuttering.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
gently caress, now I have to go to work. See you tonight, XCom.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Grey Fox posted:

Hey, for people still looking to get a discount on XCom 2, it's still active via GMG's VIP site: http://www.greenmangaming.com/vip/

No code needed.

nice!

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat

Pierson posted:

Anyone else have graphical stuttering/lag? I can run Witcher 3 at ultra flawlessly but wow some screens here have rough stuttering.

What resolution?

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Pierson posted:

Yep, really chunky. I turned off three of the options that differ between high and medium without touching texture settings and it seems to have helped a bit.

Also I failed the primary objective of the second mission and it didn't bother to actually tell me that means game over until I finished off the rest of the bad guys :cripes:

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

Henry Scorpio posted:

Well it's easily repeatable for me!

Anybody find an editable text file for names/nicknames? "DefaultNameList" was the file in EU, but the one with XCOM 2 contains no actual name list.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Oh yeah, small note in the personnel files, Lily Shen born 2007, Tygan born 1984, Bradford born 1979, Raymond Shen 1954-????. Vahlen born ????

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Pierson posted:

Yeah I was having some FPS issues, didn't have time to troubleshoot it down to a specific setting this morning though,too busy getting shot by hostiles.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

can you hit export on a rando soldier and add them to your character pool i think that'd be cool and i dont want a million internet males in my gam

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Antti posted:

GOTY 2016.
Game gave me two dudes who looked like that.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Yeah I'm up to my second random person with aviators and the Guile 'do as well. It must be some sort of glitch (the best glitch).

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006

UberJew posted:

had i tried playing with ironman enabled at release my first campaign of EU would have ended in a corrupt savegame in the middle of the temple ship

please don't actually enable ironman at release

Hey buddy! 10 hours down the loving drain!

I can't wait to play in 7 hours!

Literal Nazi Furry
Jan 27, 2008

Swastika - Helvetica - Ikea
Last night I dreamt of Adolf searching for Anne.
I lay on my back
standing alone in the corner watching the girls dance.

I'm on crystal meth.
I piss in my pants.
I can't believe doing ironman on a firaxis game on release ended poorly due to bugs. how could this have happened?!?

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Can whoever did Obama shove him in the goon pool please.

Only one hour :derp:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Can I give a character a beard and mustache at the same time? This is important.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

VDay posted:

It don't happen to everyone all the time, that's what makes it a bug. I definitely got it during my first mission but a quick save/load fixed it, so just do that instead of actually ending your turn. Speaking of which loading a save is super quick which is nice while the game had launch day bugs.

I have had it happen twice already.
To fix it just go into aiming mode once.