Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

In a broader sense, how is this show? I like Cillian Murphy, and crime, but dislike most modern dramatic tv.

I'd like to add a question: how good is Sam Neill in it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
It's good, but if you dislike the general direction of modern dramatic TV then it might not be your jam.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

cat doter posted:

It's good, but if you dislike the general direction of modern dramatic TV then it might not be your jam.

I'll give it a shot, anyway. I didn't realize it was a Steven Knight joint, he's got a decent enough track record.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

In a broader sense, how is this show? I like Cillian Murphy, and crime, but dislike most modern dramatic tv.

Peaky Blinders is absolutely fantastic.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

X-Ray Pecs posted:

I'd like to add a question: how good is Sam Neill in it?

It's his best role in quite some time, he chews the poo poo out of that scenery.

e: meant to edit this into the last post, whoops

Short Penguin
Jun 1, 2010

Parachute posted:

How It's Made
New Yankee Workshop

new yankee workshop is now my sleep show. Thank you.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

I needed stuff to put on in the background, so I watched most of star trek (except the original series and enterprise) over a couple of years. Now I need my background noise sci fi fix so I started Farscape. I know most complaints of the show are about puppets, but I wasn't crazy about much of the first episode. It was just ok. Is it mostly a slog or does it have merits eventually. Note: I don't mind puppets I guess, but I hate Dr Who. I'm worried that it will be like Dr Who.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Power through the first six or so episodes of Farscape. It really does pick up from there. Yes it is a bit rough around the edges but this was a scifi show in the mid-90s that was constantly under budget pressures.

If you are a Trek fan, you absolutely must make it through.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Wiggles Von Huggins posted:

I needed stuff to put on in the background, so I watched most of star trek (except the original series and enterprise) over a couple of years. Now I need my background noise sci fi fix so I started Farscape. I know most complaints of the show are about puppets, but I wasn't crazy about much of the first episode. It was just ok. Is it mostly a slog or does it have merits eventually. Note: I don't mind puppets I guess, but I hate Dr Who. I'm worried that it will be like Dr Who.

I haven't seen all of Farscape, but I believe that there is a great uptick in quality by the second season. Why would someone complain about using puppetry for aliens? I mean it makes a lot more sense than just having a normal looking dude with pointy ears and calling him a "Vulcan."

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

Iron Crowned posted:

I haven't seen all of Farscape, but I believe that there is a great uptick in quality by the second season. Why would someone complain about using puppetry for aliens? I mean it makes a lot more sense than just having a normal looking dude with pointy ears and calling him a "Vulcan."

I don't know but I asked a couple nerds I know and the first thing they mentioned was that there were puppets. I thought they looked fine, but I mean most people only have puppet experience with things like Sesame Street and such.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

I don't know but I asked a couple nerds I know and the first thing they mentioned was that there were puppets. I thought they looked fine, but I mean most people only have puppet experience with things like Sesame Street and such.

Star Wars?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

It's just such a weird thing to not like a show for, especially since they were above par for the time period, and being a TV show.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

Yeah sure Yoda and a few others, but I'm pretty sure puppetry is usually associated with children's things in most peoples' minds. I didn't think I'd wake up today and discuss puppets on the internet but the spice of life etc.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Yeah sure Yoda and a few others, but I'm pretty sure puppetry is usually associated with children's things in most peoples' minds. I didn't think I'd wake up today and discuss puppets on the internet but the spice of life etc.

There are people who have that mindset about animation :negative:

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Iron Crowned posted:

There are people who have that mindset about animation :negative:

As a former animator and a normal person, 99% of animation is garbage for children, or man-children.

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

just a fox like a hundred thousand others
Nap Ghost
Farscape is fun to see all the random Australian actors rotate through. Like half the cast of Fury Road pops up at some point or another.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Jonathan Hardy (Rygel) was in Mad Max. and Virginia Hey (Zhaan) was in Roadwarrior too.

Also Episode 7 (PK Tech Girl) is where they finally start getting their poo poo together.Episode 14 ( Jeremiah Crichton) is the worst of the remaining episodes in Season 1,.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Dr Monkeysee posted:

Farscape is fun to see all the random Australian actors rotate through. Like half the cast of Fury Road pops up at some point or another.

Legitimately my fav sci show other than the Twilight Show. Ends really well too.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

That's a really weird way to think about a staple of special effects in film and television.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Shageletic posted:

Legitimately my fav sci show other than the Twilight Show. Ends really well too.

I miss Farscape. It really did end well.

Also nthing the Peaky Blinders love. Great show.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Where is New Yankee Workshop available online?

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Nolanar posted:

I'm in the market for shows to help calm me down when I'm having a panic attack.

Check out the Moving Art series on Netflix. It is beautiful images of nature with piano music.

They are chill as gently caress. :glomp:

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Schitt's Creek Season 1 is on Prime.

I'm only one episode in but Chris Elliot steals the show.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

A Proper Uppercut posted:

Where is New Yankee Workshop available online?

I think just Youtube currently.

I'd also recommend anyone looking into that (or other similar shows) to check out The Woodwright's Shop that someone mentioned before. I actually used to prefer watching that, it's a totally different perspective seeing all the crafts being done with simple hand tools.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
Woodwright's Shop is 100% better than New Yankee Workshop, and I say this as a lifetime fan of NYW. The Woodwright's Shop is so anarchist and crunchy that it gives me hope for a post-apocalyptic human settlement. The host is also educated as gently caress and talks about 18th-century woodworking books.

P.S., if you have a Roku, you can get the PBS channel which has a bunch of episodes.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

neonnoodle posted:

Woodwright's Shop is 100% better than New Yankee Workshop, and I say this as a lifetime fan of NYW. The Woodwright's Shop is so anarchist and crunchy that it gives me hope for a post-apocalyptic human settlement. The host is also educated as gently caress and talks about 18th-century woodworking books.

P.S., if you have a Roku, you can get the PBS channel which has a bunch of episodes.

Roy makes some awesome poo poo, but there's something hypnotic to me about the combination of Norm's accent and the sound of power tools that I really love.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Nolanar posted:

I'm in the market for shows to help calm me down when I'm having a panic attack.

the great british baking show

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

A MIRACLE posted:

Yep. There's a little stress while that stupid ugly weeaboo is on the show, but that's mostly because you want to punch him.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

A MIRACLE posted:

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

neonnoodle posted:

New Yankee Workshop,

New Yankee Workshop and Frugal Gourmet bring back powerful memories of being bored in the proximity of my grandfather and I love that. I could definitely go to sleep while that damned gourmet made apple brown betty in the middle distance.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Jonathan Hardy (Rygel) was in Mad Max. and Virginia Hey (Zhaan) was in Roadwarrior too.

Also Episode 7 (PK Tech Girl) is where they finally start getting their poo poo together.Episode 14 ( Jeremiah Crichton) is the worst of the remaining episodes in Season 1,.

It's great that Jeremiah Chichton is shown as the 2nd episode sometimes. I wonder how many people got turned of the show from not a great 1st episode and an awful 2nd one.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

mysterious frankie posted:

New Yankee Workshop and Frugal Gourmet bring back powerful memories of being bored in the proximity of my grandfather and I love that. I could definitely go to sleep while that damned gourmet made apple brown betty in the middle distance.

Just don't wiki Frugal Gourmet's host.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
When my Anxiety Disorder was bad I found that nature documentaries were the obvious and best solution.

Also Match Game PM (tons of them are on YouTube)

edit: I guess Mortdecai is streaming on Hulu now. I guess I might as well watch it if for no other reason than I still have no idea what it even is. My vague expectation is that it's Johnny Depp's Master of Disguise

e2: Well, 5 minutes in and that's pretty accurate so far. This is some truly baffling poo poo already.

precision fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Feb 6, 2016

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

precision posted:

When my Anxiety Disorder was bad I found that nature documentaries were the obvious and best solution.

I just followed your recommendation and watched Blackfish. It didn't help.

Skizzzer
Sep 27, 2011
Try Life.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Hannibal Buress' new special Comedy Camisado is pretty great, and it's only an hour long so it's a quick/fun watch.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Hannibal Buress' new special Comedy Camisado is pretty great, and it's only an hour long so it's a quick/fun watch.

It was pretty funny. I've seen clips of him but not a full hour and it was funny. Coulda used some trimming but whatever.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Dr Monkeysee posted:

On a similar note, Ripper Street seems determined to get pretty much every single actor from Game of Thrones to pop up at some point. It's also all-around pretty great.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Just recently discovered that Strangers With Candy is on Hulu. God that's a good show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Veskit posted:

It was pretty funny. I've seen clips of him but not a full hour and it was funny. Coulda used some trimming but whatever.

His other 2 are better and also on Netlfix.