Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Epic High Five posted:

Roll in with an MRAP with a firehose that sprays that expanding riot control foam stuff and just lock everybody in a Styrofoam prison

I think at that point it's more a risk of them shooting each other rather than any LEO or civilian. Fuckers'll just start spraying and praying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Thump! posted:

I'll agree that they should've been clapped up earlier while they were out and about, however this may have been the first opportunity for them to grab the whole bushel at once.

Until the recent arrest, leaders of the organization were not off the compound at the same time, and usually travelled in larger convoys. In particular, though, leaders of the occupiers were usually surrounded by news media and traveled in a convoy with them, effectively using them as cover. At one point Ammon tried to meet with and negotiate with the FBI, but backed out when the FBI refused to let the media accompany him to the meeting. If he had assented, he may have been arrested- although the risk that other militants would have taken this as a show of force is hard to evaluate.

Perfectly Safe
May 30, 2003

no danger here.

Oh my. I'm starting to think that this Ammon Bundy fellow is a bit of a prick.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Yes it is.

You're taking the result, good arrests, and retroactively applying it's success to everything that led up to it, declaring the entirety of the unknow aspects of the FBI operation and declaring it all offsets any downside I can imagine. That's the definition of it.

I don't see the arrests as such, I see them as good arrests that all but ended a situation that was getting more dangerous and disruptive by the day.

I don't proclaim to know the inner workings and tactics nitty gritty of the fbi. You do. My opinions based on what I know and saw.

As for what I would have done? I would have moved on Cliven the first time he threatened gun violence on BLM officials and leveraged all possible pain (which doesn't have to include getting people shot to arrest him) to make it clear you can't threaten federal agents with death in America and then not even see charges as you escalate the situation for 20 years. His sons would have seen that the feds aren't the sovcit fantasy they love, their dad didn't discover the magic words, and they think twice before invading malheur.
How dare I apply success to the events that lead up to said success. Clearly events happen in a vacuum and we should not consider a chain of events when evaluating if a success was real or not.

Also your solution to the situation in Malheur is to time travel to before it happened and lay siege to Cliven Bundy. Also laying siege to him would not have caused violence because reasons.

Exit: You are not arguing I'm good faith, you are just arguing that the situation in Malheur could have been handled better........somehow, but you are not really sure how. You are just insisting that it could have been done better over and over and have not provided any spacific examples of specific actions that could have been taken.

You are also claiming that a remarkably succesful law enforcement operation is just confirmation bias became it disproves your narrative.

I ask again, and urge you to be specific. What could the FBI have done to end the situation in Malheur more quickly? Please don't talk about traveling to the past and shooting Cliven in his crib, once the situation in Malheur started, what should the FBI have done instead of playing the long game?

Prester Jane fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Feb 5, 2016

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Epic High Five posted:

Roll in with an MRAP with a firehose that sprays that expanding riot control foam stuff and just lock everybody in a Styrofoam prison

Ah yes the Hulkbuster route.

size1one
Jun 24, 2008

I don't want a nation just for me, I want a nation for everyone

This lawyer doesn't seem to care about bundy winning his case. Not that he stands a chance anyways. Guess this will help bring in those wingnut welfare dollars though.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
I'm not seeing any refutation there.

And yes, I answered a silly hypothetical with a silly hypothetical. Just because I'm not a FBI director of ops like you doesn't mean I don't get to comment on the matter or have an opinion.

I give the fbi wide berth, and even with that considered, I stand by the assertion that there is a better way to do it than Malhuer. You disagree? Thats ok by me.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Ammon, my retainer for a case of this size is $300,000 so I suggest you start shaking the cash tree vigorously.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
I&S the only options they have when dealing with this bs is to a)kill them all and risk the lives of your agents or b) wait until an opportunity comes up like the entire leadership leaving their defensive position and driving straight into your roadblock.

you are straight up stupid and are really mad about how dumb you are hth. literally putting your fingers in your ears screaming LALALALA like these rednecks do when people who are smarter than them say why their poo poo won't stick. this same stuff has been bought up like 20+ times itt

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Prester Jane posted:

You are also claiming that a remarkably succesful law enforcement operation is just confirmation bias became it disproves your narrative.

Yes I am.

Because I don't agree that it was "remarkably successful", and I would venture to guess the governor of OR and many resident of Burns would agree.

The arrests were, many parts were, as a whole? Imo, nope. We can and should do better and the fact that a paper pushing weedhead doesn't have the exact tactical plan for doing so doesn't mean it doesn't exist or is clearly needed.

There's downsides here, they're real, and they matter. I believe the police and feds are smart enough, equipped enough and capable enough to not let Malheurs go on for that long, escalate so quickly and affect neighboring towns so hard.

And gosh darn it, people like them.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Feb 5, 2016

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Discendo Vox posted:

Until the recent arrest, leaders of the organization were not off the compound at the same time, and usually travelled in larger convoys. In particular, though, leaders of the occupiers were usually surrounded by news media and traveled in a convoy with them, effectively using them as cover. At one point Ammon tried to meet with and negotiate with the FBI, but backed out when the FBI refused to let the media accompany him to the meeting. If he had assented, he may have been arrested- although the risk that other militants would have taken this as a show of force is hard to evaluate.

Yeah, that's the angle I'm figuring. We really don't have all the details on the situation and likely won't for some time until someone releases a book about it or the trial goes public, but odds are this was the first real chance they had to arrest them without the media all over their dicks or 50 other mouthbreathers with ARs.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Yes I am.

Because I don't agree that it was "remarkably successful", and I would venture to guess the governor of OR and many resident of Burns would agree.

The arrests were, many parts were, as a whole? Imo, nope. We can and should do better and the fact that a paper pushing weedhead doesn't have the exact tactical plan for doing so doesn't mean it doesn't exist or is clearly needed.

There's downsides here, they're real, and they matter.

annoying a town of people vs having the people currently protesting coming in and shooting the same town of people cause the big bad gubbament went ham and slaughtered everyone at the refuge going into arrest them. you think the rednecks wouldnt shoot at the fbi leading to a firefight where everyone there dies despite saying however many times thats all they want to do???

poo poo situation but so far this has been the best outcome from a group of armed militants occupying federal land, with confirmed rifles and reports of explosives.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Hahahaha. This motherfucker.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
It doesn't seem all that wild or controversial to suggest the initial reaction to the standoff was a bit of a fumbling "well guys what the gently caress?" followed by the formulation of a pretty good plan. That's about as good as you can hope for in a situation like this.

There will likely be exhaustive inquiries into this, and we will have an opportunity to see what was smart and what was dumb in detail.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Yes I am.

So things should have been done differently, but don't ask you how, you don't know, your not an expert on anything. Funny then that the experts disagree with you and have a track record of success that they can point to.

Edit: Sorry for dragging this out, I'm done with this derail. It has become too circular.

Prester Jane fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Feb 5, 2016

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

annoying a town of people vs having the people currently protesting coming in and shooting the same town of people cause the big bad gubbament went ham and slaughtered everyone at the refuge going into arrest them. you think the rednecks wouldnt shoot at the fbi leading to a firefight where everyone there dies despite saying however many times thats all they want to do???

1) I wonder how many other people here would label all the activity in burns as just an annoyance.

2) cool fan fic, if I was as good at imagination I would write one where Ammon and Co are weiners who cave at the first real show of force, maybe a armored truck? And then walk out peacefully and apologize. Weeeeeeee!

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
I am also fine with leaving this argument at the point where PJ declares herself an expert and casts a pox on all who aren't.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Kazak_Hstan posted:

It doesn't seem all that wild or controversial to suggest the initial reaction to the standoff was a bit of a fumbling "well guys what the gently caress?" followed by the formulation of a pretty good plan. That's about as good as you can hope for in a situation like this.

There will likely be exhaustive inquiries into this, and we will have an opportunity to see what was smart and what was dumb in detail.

Again, it's worth emphasizing that when the militants occupied the compound, there were already a bunch of other sympatheticarmed militia and right-wing protesters in town. There was never an opportunity to stop this early without arresting these people weeks in advance of the original Hammond protest.

Even with the decapitation arrest, we're still in a very unstable situation because there are still a bunch of broadly affiliated militia groups in town.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Above: good point, maybe there was no great option at the time in a situation like that. I still wonder about the continuing tactics after the kickoff.

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

poo poo situation but so far this has been the best outcome from a group of armed militants occupying federal land, with confirmed rifles and reports of explosives.

Can't argue that part.

However I will be willing to bet this happens again this year and the response is better and quicker.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Feb 5, 2016

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I am also fine with leaving this argument at the point where PJ declares herself an expert and casts a pox on all who aren't.

I'm not an expert nor have I claimed to be. The experts are working for the FBI. I'm a crank with an unusual insight that has contributed to the thread. Expert I am not, nor shall I ever be.
Also I have debated with quite a few people itt and not cast a pox upon them.

I have not personally attacked you at any point, I have just stated that you are wrong and explained why I perceive that to be.

Prester Jane fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Feb 5, 2016

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Ok if you're going with the ol appeal to authority can I at least get a name or a link to the person refuting me?

I considered it a personal attack when people were telling me I'm dumb and can't have an opinion because they "spent 15 pages explaining" to my dumb rear end who didn't see the light. If that wasn't what was meant then cest la vie.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Feb 5, 2016

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Prester Jane posted:

I'm not an expert nor have I claimed to be. The experts are working for the FBI. I'm a crank with an unusual insight that has contributed to the thread. Expert I am not, nor shall I ever be.
Also I have debated with quite a few people itt and not cast a pox upon them.

Your contributions have been welcome but seriously you need to get your head out of your rear end a bit if you think that you haven't portrayed yourself as a voice of authority on the matter.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer

quote:

“If they’re going to make up charges and lock us up, I’m not going to worry about it between now and then,” said Willingham. “Because they’re wrong. And what they’re going to do to me is going to be wrong. And every day I’ve got between now and then I can live my life like I’m right.”

quote:

Linnell served as a cook for the militants and took part in the occupation for more than two weeks. She said she’s not worried about being arrested. “I didn’t do anything at all. I mean, what are they going to do? Charge me for being in the kitchen? Are they going to bust me for cooking?”

quote:

Both Blaine and Melissa Cooper have gone silent since the arrests, except when Blaine Cooper called into a conservative talk radio show on Jan. 29. Blaine told the radio host he checks daily to see if a warrant is out for his arrest. “If they tried to do anything to me, I’m going to go the way LaVoy did,” he said on the show.

http://www.opb.org/news/series/burns-oregon-standoff-bundy-militia-news-updates/occupiers-not-in-listed-indictment-could-face-charges-/

I just want to roll up a newspaper and rub their faces in the pee spot on the floor.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Maybe when they get out in 10-15, they'll do some good by protesting the brutality of the prison industrial complex.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
My opinion that they could have done better isn't stemming from me thinking they did an awful job (they didn't). It stems from me thinking that the FBI is better than a 3 week fiasco that prompted the governor of the state to buck them and say "whaaat the fuuuuuuuuck" publicly.

No I don't know exactly what changes, I don't know exactlt what they did, neither does anyone else.

I do know exactly how good the FBI is, and in my opinion, even considering the very very large gap of info that COULD EMPHASIS COULD AS IN NOT "HAS" BUT COULD invalidate my entire thinking....I think they can do it better, yes.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Thump! posted:

I think at that point it's more a risk of them shooting each other rather than any LEO or civilian. Fuckers'll just start spraying and praying.

Ahah! That's where the real cleverness comes in. The secret is to have the MRAP blasting this as it rolls up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Zbi0XmGtMw

The militants will think it's a party bus and they can be immobilized during the ensuing spontaneous dance party

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

quote:

Linnell served as a cook for the militants and took part in the occupation for more than two weeks. She said she’s not worried about being arrested. “I didn’t do anything at all. I mean, what are they going to do? Charge me for being in the kitchen? Are they going to bust me for cooking?”

- someone about to do a fantastic cosplay of Randy Marsh being arrested at little league games.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Ok if you're going with the ol appeal to authority can I at least get a name or a link to the person refuting me?

Time: Why the feds have not ended the Oregon Militia standoff.

quote:

Yet so far there has been little visible law enforcement response. And while that may frustrate or confuse many Americans, it’s probably an indication that law enforcement is handling a delicate situation correctly.

In an armed confrontation with extremists, the first rule is to proceed carefully, according to former federal officials involved in some of the trickiest standoffs in recent memory. “You don’t want to do anything precipitous that would heighten the degree of confrontation,” says Tom Kubic, the former FBI special agent in charge of the bureau’s 1996 standoff with the Montana Freemen, an antigovernment fringe group holed up on a compound from which they’d been legally evicted. “The key is to be very cautious, go slow, and take a look at and understand what is being asked for".

Salon: Sorry liberals, the FBI was right to wait before taking them out.

quote:

Raiding the refuge was always a bad idea. For one thing it would give these wannabe martyrs exactly what they want, an opportunity to get hurt or die at government hands and become fuel for radical right wing propaganda. They even brought children onto the property to raise the stakes. In the past, federal raids under similar circumstances involving children—most notably in Waco—not only resulted in innocent lives being lost, but in providing right wing radicals even more justification to demonize federal authorities.
And while the occupation was disruptive and expensive, it would have been far more costly to give the militia the shootout at the refuge they wanted. These guys bragged about how they anticipated violence. They openly threatened that this would become another Waco. Rushing them at the compound would have caused expensive damage to the building, and possibly a fire if the militiamen made good on these threats. Repairing that would have cost a fortune and kept the refuge employees on leave even longer.

Instead, the feds let the militia get complacent and bored. They let the media attention drift away, forcing the militia to have to take more risks and leave the refuge more to get attention. What looked like federal inattention now looks a whole lot more like it was a trap being set to draw the militia members out.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
To me, whether or not the FBI has handled this 'well' has always been a question of when did they roll the Sovcit sheriff from the other county.
If they got to him early on and had him lure out the bundy bunch for takedown, then bravo and well played. Situation was unfavorable, but at least they had a plan.
If they found out about the meet after the fact, and then scrambled to take advantage then good job capitalizing, but wtf was their game plan? Wait and hope they didn't start shooting or lynching people? There was not even a token effort to contain or even inconvenience these chucklefucks before the decapitation arrest. Again, great if you have a plan but irresponsible otherwise.

Toasticle
Jul 18, 2003

Hay guys, out this Rape

Prester Jane posted:

You have some good an interesting insights but you've defiantly acted as the threads solo expert on how these people think and would act if provoked in ways you think would be bad. I've read you're posts and they are fascinating but you have insight into your personal experiences but seem to think it applies to way more than it does.

You're a great poster, but you have taken on a bit of 'I'm the expert on how these people think' that's been off putting a few times. I'm sure you don't mean to be but you're getting too defensive over stuff that's literally just different opinions.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
I'm not seeing where Tom says this was the quintessential perfect anti RW occupation playbook or that the slow approach justifies letting Burns get messed up and providing sovcits an actual ritual to stave off FBI mages for at least 3 weeks.

I never advocated hastiness.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Toasticle posted:

You have some good an interesting insights but you've defiantly acted as the threads solo expert on how these people think and would act if provoked in ways you think would be bad. I've read you're posts and they are fascinating but you have insight into your personal experiences but seem to think it applies to way more than it does.

You're a great poster, but you have taken on a bit of 'I'm the expert on how these people think' that's been off putting a few times. I'm sure you don't mean to be but you're getting too defensive over stuff that's literally just different opinions.

Doctor Butts posted:

Your contributions have been welcome but seriously you need to get your head out of your rear end a bit if you think that you haven't portrayed yourself as a voice of authority on the matter.

Fair enough, I will keep that in mind and try to tone it down in the future. I genuinely apologize.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

I still think the FBI did the right thing in general with the refuge occupiers specifically. They weren't a threat to the town of Burns, so let them have their little campout and arrest the leaders when they all get into the same 2 vehicles. I'm more worried about the idiots in the town of Burns now. That could end up going horrifically wrong, FBI did right by not giving them any more martyrs than necessary, but the in town situation is way more dangerous than the refuge ever was.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Epic High Five posted:

Ahah! That's where the real cleverness comes in. The secret is to have the MRAP blasting this as it rolls up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Zbi0XmGtMw

The militants will think it's a party bus and they can be immobilized during the ensuing spontaneous dance party

Good god that is the most '90s video I have seen in some time.

I guess it fits considering the rise of militias and poo poo.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.
Santili was just denied bail. The judge was concerned by several of Santili's on-air statements about the number of both registered and unregistered guns he own and apparent threats to federal agents and US Marshals.

hahaha, apparently the prosecutors played audio/video of a 2013 Santilli broadcast in which he stated that he would shoot Hillary Clinton in the genitals.

Fionnoula fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Feb 5, 2016

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Fionnoula posted:

Santili was just denied bail. The judge was concerned by several of Santili's on-air statements about the number of both registered and unregistered guns he own and apparent threats to federal agents and US Marshals.

Just like the overreaching federal government to deny a journalist his freedom just because he threatened to murder federal agents with an unlicensed firearm.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Fionnoula posted:

I like to imagine the judge reading his decision and putting special emphasis on every AND ALSO

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I'm really annoyed that there are still people at the refuge and that sovcit/militia types are still in the town, and very worried that more are on their way.

It feels like the longer they are allowed to cause problems there, the more problems they will cause and it will get harder to get them out.

It seems to me, at least, that the people converging on the town are less concerned about the remaining people at the refuge and more focused on their own overall sovcit cause.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I just genuinely really feel great about the fact that Santelli's being hung by his own youtube channel.

Like, I hope the court just emphasizes that constantly until finally one of them just blurts out "dumbass."

Like "What's your source?" "Its you, dumbass. Lets watch on this phone."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

Isn't he doing 23 a day in the hole? Does he want that to be a full 24?

• Locked thread