Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
In the Star Citizen D&D thread
I wish ammo explosions did AOE damage so I could do suicide runs in light mechs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super 3
Dec 31, 2007

Sometimes the powers you get are shit.

Tujague posted:

We are giving PGI too much money

They are going to start working on a new lovely game or something

I think their current game of reach into the giant bucket of nostalgia mechs, pull one out and get paid is working for them.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

sebmojo posted:

I recorded a game where someone got taken out and dropped an airstrike as they died that obliterated two of their own teammates. it was legit hilarious.

I figure if goons are going to witness me arrive in valhalla it may as well be firsthand :shrug:

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Bait and Swatch posted:

If they did that I would run one gun with an entire mech. Full of ammo screaming witness me

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Bait and Swatch posted:

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=36&l=64e2a38a45737251bee5304295f34a8db68e0671

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
GO BIG OR GO HOME DRAGON SLAYER

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007

A.o.D. posted:

GO BIG OR GO HOME DRAGON SLAYER

RNG Slayer

TheParadigm posted:

On that related note, what are the most useful things out of this list: Seismic, 360 target retention, target decay 2(i already have 1 for some reason), improved gyros, consumable boosts? Any others i've forgotten?

I already have the other big ones like Radar Dep.

Seismic and Radar Dep are the only essential ones. 360 Target retention is useful for two scenarios: You're boating streaks and want to ensure you hold locks on whatever light you're fighting, or you're a light yourself and knifefighting other lights. Target Decay is alright for long range poo poo, and improved gyros is just... eh. The problem with most of the modules is that since you are only able to take a few, it doesn't make sense to buy ones that aren't the best possible option for your mech.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"
How do I avoid the sliding scale for getting the next match when I end up on polar highlands or alpine? I just can't stand playing either of those maps anymore and quitting does not seem to work, will alt-f4 get around it?

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

So how the hell do I join WoL? Everything is struck out in the OP, don't want to gently caress this up too much.

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman

Kilo147 posted:

So how the hell do I join WoL? Everything is struck out in the OP, don't want to gently caress this up too much.

Begging and large cash presents help. Consider that these are all goons and apply a female voice filter in mumble and you'll be set.

Yes, the default text-to-speech voice will work for that.

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

Kilo147 posted:

Say what your in game name is. Anyone from WoL can invite. Or get in the mumble and get in a group and be all "can i get an invite to WoL, my name is pbbbbt." I don't know if they need add you as a friend first or not.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

armchairyoda posted:

Begging and large cash presents help. Consider that these are all goons and apply a female voice filter in mumble and you'll be set.

Yes, the default text-to-speech voice will work for that.

Do you accept sexual favors to get in WoL? I may have Zika. Or Zima. It's 50/50.

The Repo Man posted:

Say what your in game name is. Anyone from WoL can invite. Or get in the mumble and get in a group and be all "can i get an invite to WoL, my name is pbbbbt." I don't know if they need add you as a friend first or not.

In as Kilo147

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Kilo147 posted:

Do you accept sexual favors to get in WoL? I may have Zika. Or Zima. It's 50/50.

In as Kilo147

You have to get on mumble, but we don't care if you have a mic

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Washout posted:

You have to get on mumble, but we don't care if you have a mic

Trying to make it work. I'm doing everything I can, and no luck yet.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Anita Dickinme posted:

If you absolutely must use LRMs, don’t run them on assaults or heavies, because you’re robbing the team of firepower. Don’t run them on lights, because you won’t be able to take enough to make a difference. Don’t run them on most mediums for the same reason. Instead, use them on the Hunchback-4J, which has quirks that let it launch LRM-10s at an absurd rate. This is probably the only “good” LRM ‘mech in the game, because it fires them so quickly that it makes up for the other deficiencies.

Some decent starter builds for the -4J:

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=...6df94ab1f567e29

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=...4bbddfa513a3f72

From the OP or close enough, is this a fun gimmick? I want to be a plucky little gunboat. Also these links don't seem to work anymore.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I'm sure you guys already saw it, but I'm so pumped to get the Kodiak. :dance:

100 tons of ANGRY BEAR coming at you, pubbies!

grissenko
Jan 18, 2006

Oh he's so pringles. Where yo curleh mustache at?!
Fun Shoe
I just got this game and I am having a good time with it. If at all possible, would it be possible to get an invite to GIRL? I am grissenko in MWO (Mr. Freeze on Steam).

I read through the op, and I have been playing with the recommended mechs that I can run trials of right now. I really like the agility of the Raven, but I wish it packed a bit more punch. Is there a mech I should be looking at which is a bit punchier with decent mobility?

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

gently caress you registry error! I've got Mumble working. So, yeah. There's that. Though I was a dumbfuck and joined House Liao. Just broke my contract, though.

So I've got mumble, I've got trial mechs, I've got a laser Crab, I think I'm all ready here.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Would joining GIRL while being terrible and not knowing what the gently caress I'm doing bring dishonor upon GIRL? I want to be a GIRL please invite krinkle8 if it's not a problem that I'm bad.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Krinkle posted:

From the OP or close enough, is this a fun gimmick? I want to be a plucky little gunboat. Also these links don't seem to work anymore.

it's still decent! I dunno why the links don't work, but try this:

HBK-4J (2 LRM10A, 3 ML, TAG)

or maybe this

HBK-4J (2 LRM10A, 5 SL, TAG)

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Krinkle posted:

Would joining GIRL while being terrible and not knowing what the gently caress I'm doing bring dishonor upon GIRL? I want to be a GIRL please invite krinkle8 if it's not a problem that I'm bad.

grissenko posted:

I just got this game and I am having a good time with it. If at all possible, would it be possible to get an invite to GIRL? I am grissenko in MWO (Mr. Freeze on Steam).

I read through the op, and I have been playing with the recommended mechs that I can run trials of right now. I really like the agility of the Raven, but I wish it packed a bit more punch. Is there a mech I should be looking at which is a bit punchier with decent mobility?

sent you guys friend requests -- accept them and I should be able to invite you.

as for a punchy 'mech, I got you covered:

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=291&l=4c8046b09586269a1affa86b6a84ea01c195bd60

the Cheetah is Best Light

Ronin Of Dreams
Oct 9, 2012

Even Death laughs when the nukes begin to rain.

Talmonis posted:

I've mastered my Ebon-Jags out, and the huge CT is absolutely the biggest issue. Aside from that, I eat anything short of a King Crab or Dire Wolf alive in a stand up fight. Last night I kept killing Maulers 1v1 and dying to lights moments later.

I highly recommend building it with 2 large pulses and 6 small pulses. You can peel poo poo apart like a grape with pinpoint accuracy.

Eating Dads in Jags in a slug-fight is one of the most amusing things ever, but the CT really is the weakness. It makes twisting almost counterproductive as it won't bleed damage off the CT easily. Way too easy to correct back onto coring an Ebon-Jag.

I tend to drop one small pulse, myself, but it is a real nice build. The Ebon-Jag has plenty of variety with the omnipod sets tho, so feel free to go SRM heavy or UAC heavy just as easily if they float your boat.

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012
I need to buy a third Raven. I already have a Huginn and a 3L, so it's the 2X or 4X. Both look OK, not a ton to choose between them on really. Maybe 4X for the JJs. Anyone have a strong preference or cool build to share for either of these guys?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

The Repo Man posted:

FACTION PLAY

MEMBER MANAGEMENT (LOL)

INVITE NEW MEMBER OR SOMETHING

you don't need a friend invite first

Krinkle posted:

LOL no just hit ready and shot butts

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Feb 5, 2016

grissenko
Jan 18, 2006

Oh he's so pringles. Where yo curleh mustache at?!
Fun Shoe

Pattonesque posted:

sent you guys friend requests -- accept them and I should be able to invite you.

as for a punchy 'mech, I got you covered:

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=291&l=4c8046b09586269a1affa86b6a84ea01c195bd60

the Cheetah is Best Light

Patton, thank you! I specced out a Cheetah and shot butts and my team actually did something smart and I finally won a game! And oh man, that thing can move! Thanks for the suggestion :D

TeeMerk
Jun 9, 2013

sebmojo posted:

FACTION PLAY

MEMBER MANAGEMENT (LOL)

INVITE NEW MEMBER OR SOMETHING

you don't need a friend invite first

LOL no just hit ready and shot butts

I honestly keep forgetting this myself but to invite members there is no need to go through the friend invite ui thing. Just do this and you can invite anyone. mumble info should be set in motd for both.

Thanks again SebMojo

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost
From what I can tell over half of WoL is still set to J4G SCUM rank, which doesn't have invite privileges.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

grissenko posted:

Patton, thank you! I specced out a Cheetah and shot butts and my team actually did something smart and I finally won a game! And oh man, that thing can move! Thanks for the suggestion :D

NP man. Some folks like to drop a heat sink and add another pulse laser, which gives it a bigger alpha but makes it hotter. YMMV. Make sure you buy two more so you can elite them out -- the speed tweak and extra stuff really helps.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

yeah, got everything I need except an invite and the mumble channel

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Double xp weekends seem pretty pointless when most mechs are so expensive that you'll finish getting basics on one and save up enough xp for the second tier of upgrades long before you can afford two more mechs to actually unlock those upgrades. I guess it means more gxp too but ehhhh.

Endbuster
Jan 7, 2013

There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.

Wafflecopper posted:

Double xp weekends seem pretty pointless when most mechs are so expensive that you'll finish getting basics on one and save up enough xp for the second tier of upgrades long before you can afford two more mechs to actually unlock those upgrades. I guess it means more gxp too but ehhhh.

Bro its more exp so you can convert it to GXP for MC. Duuuuuuuuh.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
So if I was considering spending real money on this game for something what would be the best? Probably not more than fifty bucks, if I do at all, though.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Bait and Swatch posted:

Oh come on, is no one going to touch this? Why can't we talk about how awesome Stackpoling would be in this game?

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?

Wafflecopper posted:

This weekend lined up pretty well after grabbing 3 battlemasters the other week, going to have'em all mastered.

Kinda want a ballistic med/heavy/assault for whatever I grab next, got some phracts but they're kinda hard to do well with sometimes.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Drakes posted:

This weekend lined up pretty well after grabbing 3 battlemasters the other week, going to have'em all mastered.

Kinda want a ballistic med/heavy/assault for whatever I grab next, got some phracts but they're kinda hard to do well with sometimes.

Maulers can do 5 AC/5 or 4 LB-10Xs or equally brutal and silly builds

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
In the Star Citizen D&D thread

Internet Explorer posted:

Oh come on, is no one going to touch this? Why can't we talk about how awesome Stackpoling would be in this game?

I used to use the mech explosions in mech commander to do this. Bring a green pilot and sacrifice them in the hope that their engine exploded itself. Godspeed rooster, you did your final mission well by blowing up that Hollander enough that my commando could kill it.

E: I just remembered I did this to my best friend in mech commander 2. He joined us in some league where teams would set up multiplayer matches as part of a bigger campaign meant to take over a world. Rules and tonnage limits were set and what not. I brought my computer over to his house so we could play over LAN all weekend and practice since we would playing against adults, which was intimidating.

We had some match with equal tonnage going, and he was always clan, so I was of course losing. It was on the map that had those long valleys that broke out into towns with decent sized buildings. I attempted an ambush with a lance and ended up losing horribly, but half through accident and half through intent, I ran my atlas into the middle of his mad cats, causing two to die when its engine exploded. In response, he threw a jar of peanut butter across his room.

Bait and Swatch fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Feb 5, 2016

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Bait and Swatch posted:

Godspeed rooster

You piece of poo poo.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Tujague posted:

We are giving PGI too much money

They are going to start working on a new lovely game or something

I'd be really surprised if there wasn't still some work on transverse happening.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Fil5000 posted:

I'd be really surprised if there wasn't still some work on transverse happening.

To be fair some concept art scribbled on a used Subway napkin would be more than the big Transverse reveal showed us.

Anyway I'm happy for all you Kodiak enthusiasts - really. Now :pgi: where are my fancy pants medium mech phoenix packs because speed (and ECM) is life :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
Sometimes i wish a reactor overload would do AoE.
I want to allahackbar people.

• Locked thread