Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

genesplicer posted:

Long, long ago, in 1976, I was part of my high school's crack computer team. Our school didn't actually have a computer. We had a teletype machine and a 300 baud modem. With this, we connected to the MIT mainframe and assisted seniors in finding colleges that had the progams they were interested in taking. During downtime, I figured out something. We used numerical codes to navigate, so I decided to see what other codes would do. After finding very little of interest, I managed to stumble upon the complete list of codes.

With this I was able to enter into parts of the server I was not authorized to enter. I managed to figure out a few passwords (not nearly as secure as they are today) and accessed even more. About this time, we had to do a report on some topic in biology. I decided to wow my teacher, and do my report on genetic engineering. This was a new technology (the first experiments had been done in 1973), and MIT was at the forefront. Since I had access to their primitive email system, I sent a few messages to the grad students asking questions. Eventually they figured out I was not an MIT student and questioned me. I explained what I had done, and the students approached a professor. They gave me limited access to their mainframe, in exchange for me not trying to crack the system any further. Quite a coup for a freshman high school kid.

The professor set up my account, with the tounge-in-cheek name "Genesplicer" (actually, it was "gensplcr", because login names were all 8 characters)

So, in December of this year, I will haved used the name "genesplicer" on various websites, etc, on the ARPANET, BBSs and the Internet, for 40 years.

holy poo poo thats like a super hero origin story

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)

genesplicer posted:

Long, long ago, in 1976, I was part of my high school's crack computer team. Our school didn't actually have a computer. We had a teletype machine and a 300 baud modem. With this, we connected to the MIT mainframe and assisted seniors in finding colleges that had the progams they were interested in taking. During downtime, I figured out something. We used numerical codes to navigate, so I decided to see what other codes would do. After finding very little of interest, I managed to stumble upon the complete list of codes.

With this I was able to enter into parts of the server I was not authorized to enter. I managed to figure out a few passwords (not nearly as secure as they are today) and accessed even more. About this time, we had to do a report on some topic in biology. I decided to wow my teacher, and do my report on genetic engineering. This was a new technology (the first experiments had been done in 1973), and MIT was at the forefront. Since I had access to their primitive email system, I sent a few messages to the grad students asking questions. Eventually they figured out I was not an MIT student and questioned me. I explained what I had done, and the students approached a professor. They gave me limited access to their mainframe, in exchange for me not trying to crack the system any further. Quite a coup for a freshman high school kid.

The professor set up my account, with the tounge-in-cheek name "Genesplicer" (actually, it was "gensplcr", because login names were all 8 characters)

So, in December of this year, I will haved used the name "genesplicer" on various websites, etc, on the ARPANET, BBSs and the Internet, for 40 years.

thats cool as gently caress

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
hah, recalled it correctly

have you ever played d&d or other nerd games

NurhacisUrn
Jul 18, 2013

All I can think about is your wife and a horse.
We are working on some SERIOUS SHIT in here.

Luvcow posted:

holy poo poo thats like a super hero origin story

Agreed. Thanks for sharing that with us Gene.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
tahts a cool story.

u guy ever heard of the birthday boys? watched episode 1 last night, its pretty funny show

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

im lowtaxs alt, ama

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Ratjaculation posted:

im lowtaxs alt, ama

have u heard of the birthday boys??

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

have u heard of the birthday boys??

no, but remember my asian wife? i think she was the second or third one

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

genesplicer posted:

I hope you got at least a B for that.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Ratjaculation posted:

no, but remember my asian wife? i think she was the second or third one

someone made a good post about how u send alimony payments to mainland china, is it true? y/n

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

genesplicer posted:

:)

Life is funny.

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam

Hogge Wild posted:

hah, recalled it correctly

have you ever played d&d or other nerd games

Yes. I was even a dungeon master. Of course, when we started playing, there was just Dungeons and Dragons (AD&D was released during my sophomore year).

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring
no races just classes

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
what's the coolest machine you have built

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

Can you dm me playing hot dog Sam the rogue please

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam

Hogge Wild posted:

We used to have a yorkie who slept in our bed. Because he had such short legs, he had difficulty getting on the bed on his own. I built a ramp for him, so he could climb onto the bed himself. Yay for small dogs! Unfortunately, he'd always get down in the middle of the night, run to the dog door, go outside and pee. When he came back, he could not see the ramp clearly, so he would sit at the bottom of the ramp and whine until I picked him up and dropped him on the bed.

Finally I got tired of this, so I used an Arduino unit, ran a bunch of LEDs on the ramp, with a proximity detector. When the dog would come to the base of the ramp, the LEDs lit up, and the short-legged bastard could see where to run to get back on the bed. It worked great! For about 2 months, then he had a stroke and died. (Unrelated)

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Hogge Wild posted:

probly a lil quadcopter that goes super fast but makes me look like a pedophile when i fly it in the park

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
lmao j/k the coolest machine i ever built is my scale model evangelion unit 00, unit 01, and unit 02

AbbadonOfHell
Jul 16, 2004
You know I would try to think of something funny to put here but ill just pass on that and threaten people with a + 2 board with a nail in it.
I bet Genesplicer knows how to hit armor class 0. One of the few from that nerd breed left.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

genesplicer posted:

We used to have a yorkie who slept in our bed. Because he had such short legs, he had difficulty getting on the bed on his own. I built a ramp for him, so he could climb onto the bed himself. Yay for small dogs! Unfortunately, he'd always get down in the middle of the night, run to the dog door, go outside and pee. When he came back, he could not see the ramp clearly, so he would sit at the bottom of the ramp and whine until I picked him up and dropped him on the bed.

Finally I got tired of this, so I used an Arduino unit, ran a bunch of LEDs on the ramp, with a proximity detector. When the dog would come to the base of the ramp, the LEDs lit up, and the short-legged bastard could see where to run to get back on the bed. It worked great! For about 2 months, then he had a stroke and died. (Unrelated)

That was a really sweet story until the end :(

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
if all town hall meetings had stories like this I'd probably go once or twice

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

AbbadonOfHell posted:

I bet Genesplicer knows how to hit armor class 0. One of the few from that nerd breed left.

thac0 :smith:

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
Why is Buttwizard so drat lazy? And why doesn't he post in GBS?

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

Hogge Wild posted:

Why is Buttwizard so drat lazy? And why doesn't he post in GBS?

New Zealand

he's a really cool guy tho

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer

genesplicer posted:

A modern classic.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

AbbadonOfHell posted:

oh THAC0 was in Baldur's Gate you drama queen

gnarlyhotep posted:

New Zealand

he's a really cool guy tho

that's hardly an excuse, BARON'S CYBER SKULL is a New Zealander too and I see him all the time :colbert:

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
I don't like the Mom jokes

Shaquin
May 12, 2007
All the template bad gbs post jokes are bad. The mom one especially tho

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

Shaquin posted:

All the template bad gbs post jokes are bad. The mom one especially tho

The gamefaqs spinoff luelinks " ETI " is good. So is "planets dyin cloud"

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

AWSBM can you please do something about the Moridin920 thing

he's gone pissed off a FYAD mod but he's too darn proud to start up a new account and too stupid to just stop posting on these here forums

i know he's not much but he's one of ours

please talk some sense into FYAD

god bless

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

Gilganixon posted:

AWSBM can you please do something about the Moridin920 thing

he's gone pissed off a FYAD mod but he's too darn proud to start up a new account and too stupid to just stop posting on these here forums

i know he's not much but he's one of ours

please talk some sense into FYAD

god bless

Hes a goober

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over

Isaac posted:

The gamefaqs spinoff luelinks " ETI " is good. So is "planets dyin cloud"

i never clicked on that thread is there a fast 'splain why it is funny

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

mclast posted:

i never clicked on that thread is there a fast 'splain why it is funny

Yeah

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over
drat help me out isaac, three sentences what was that thread about

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

mclast posted:

drat help me out isaac, three sentences what was that thread about

the gamefaqs spinoff luelinks "ETI"

Shaquin
May 12, 2007
I think that works better without the context because it is a good mish mash of goofy words

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
The honest truth is theres no story as far as o know. Its just the words.

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over
yahh i googled that and clicked the first link and then my brain started leaking thru my ears. i should have never come here

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over
that's cool. how's pecky becky

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

mclast posted:

that's cool. how's pecky becky

Ive feeding her calf pellets and shes getting bigger and more healthy looking than any bird around. Still retarded and not laying many eggs bit lookin good.

• Locked thread