Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Dude McAwesome posted:

american college sounds like a pain in the rear end with all its bullshit electives and clubs/societes. though, that 'social skills for engineers' could certainly be applied worldwide.

"milvets"? lmao. Why don't you join a cool club like surfing or snowboarding or SCUBA or beer club?

I don't think it's a bad idea to force people to take courses in writing, math, history, and science regardless of their area of concentration, but after that it just becomes kind of dumb.

Grad school is great, though, because you're only taking poo poo related to what you're actually doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I still haven't done anything more than get my official CCAF transcripts. I got 10 years to use GI Bill or something. Mostly I just don't want to major in something I'll hate and waste my bennies like Blue Squares

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
English classes are definitely a case of "too little, too late" for a large majority of college students.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Things every major should be forced to take:

An economy class more advanced than Econ 101 (no "market of rational actors in a frictionless economy" poo poo)

English classes that focus on writing

A statistics course

A modern world history course (Start it in like, 1945 I guess?)

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Most helpful classes I took were the following:

research writing
writing for PR & advertising
copywriting
excel/pivot table stuff
a math course

Go figure that being able to manipulate data, solve simple problems, and clearly write would be the most useful poo poo.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
A basic finance class so they can come to the realization of what a giant waste of money it likely was

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

go3 posted:

A basic finance class so they can come to the realization of what a giant waste of money it likely was

someone's waste of money. not mine

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

holocaust bloopers posted:

research writing
copywriting
excel/pivot table stuff
a math course

Go figure that being able to manipulate data, solve simple problems, and clearly write would be the most useful poo poo.

Being able to do basic poo poo in excel is indistinguishable in many workplaces from being a sorcerer. If you have a chance to use bennies to REALLY (and I mean REALLY) learn excel (or better yet SPSS/Stata) you will not regret it.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

TheQuietWilds posted:

Being able to do basic poo poo in excel is indistinguishable in many workplaces from being a sorcerer. If you have a chance to use bennies to REALLY (and I mean REALLY) learn excel (or better yet SPSS/Stata) you will not regret it.

Excel's camera function blows my loving mind.

The Slithery D
Jul 19, 2012

TheQuietWilds posted:

Reminds me, if you're separated or going to in the next 18 months Syracuse offers a bunch of free online certificaiton classes. I've finished Six Sigma Green Belt and am working on my PMP. You have to apply and I think they only accept a cohort once a year (I started last July), check it out.

http://vets.syr.edu/education/employment-programs/

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Excel's camera function blows my loving mind.

Excel has a camera function?! :aaaaa:

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

The Rat posted:

Excel has a camera function?! :aaaaa:

Yes! Enable it through options. Google for the exact method.

I use it for data tables and high/low comparison pulls. All that poo poo gets camera'd to the client-facing excel tab, so whenever I'm providing analysis, I'll just hit refresh on the workbook and everything is all nice and updated.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

research writing
copywriting
excel/pivot table stuff
a math course

Anthropological Research Methods helped me understand why so many of the customers I work with are loving assholes.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

There's a STEM-heavy job fair next Tuesday and all of the major engineering firms all basically say "NO FOREIGNERS WILL BE CONSIDERED AT ALL" :smug: which is hella funny considering 1/2 of all engineering students are either Indian, Saudis, or Vietnamese.

Which makes sense given some of these companies also are in the defense industry.

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Still better than a Ponytar

psydude posted:

I don't think it's a bad idea to force people to take courses in writing, math, history, and science regardless of their area of concentration, but after that it just becomes kind of dumb.

Grad school is great, though, because you're only taking poo poo related to what you're actually doing.

Like holly bloops said, by the time college comes around it's probably too late for writing. But basic macroeconomics and basic finance would be good so that people have a basic understanding of this poo poo, bc it can be tough to penetrate the bullshit when reading/watching the news in those fields.

I'm just glad my bachelor degree (business) has let me take elec eng electives as an undergrad so that I knock a year off grad school.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Remote sensing is cool as hell. I can't track down my :filez: copy of ArcGIS. :saddowns:
Yeah it is. We mostly use ERDAS Imagine for remote sensing stuff, though the department is thinking of moving to ENVI but hasn't had time to modify the curriculum yet. The final project from the last class was pulled from some other institution and used Arc for a lot of the tasks we'd been using ERDAS for, which seemed kind of awkward.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Deathy McDeath posted:

Oh hey, here's a summary of our hilarious vet group

http://columbiaspectator.com/news/2...paign=8e4918fd8

Deathy McDeath posted:

It's actually really fun

this is some shameful poo poo

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

Justin Tyme posted:

There's a STEM-heavy job fair next Tuesday and all of the major engineering firms all basically say "NO FOREIGNERS WILL BE CONSIDERED AT ALL" :smug: which is hella funny considering 1/2 of all engineering students are either Indian, Saudis, or Vietnamese.

Which makes sense given some of these companies also are in the defense industry.

LockMart called me 3 times asking if I had reconsidered going back and finishing my AeroE degree because as a white American studying engineering and with family members who already had clearance I was The Unicorn.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

go3 posted:

LockMart called me 3 times asking if I had reconsidered going back and finishing my AeroE degree because as a white American studying engineering and with family members who already had clearance I was The Unicorn.

You probably make more as an IT guy than they would ever pay you, which I'm guessing is exactly what you told them.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009
I'm sorta surprised by all that drama at Columbia. At Penn the veterans group is like 5 people who send annoying emails but never actually meet up. I'm not sure how Columbia got such a relatively large Vet population - they're similar size/prestige schools, in large NE cities. Penn seems more pre-professional focused, but I would think would be appealing to the GI-bill set.

Like, here's a link to the Penn Veterans association that I found on the student services page:
http://upennveterans.org/

TheQuietWilds fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Feb 5, 2016

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

TheQuietWilds posted:

I'm sorta surprised by all that drama at Columbia. At Penn the veterans group is like 5 people who send annoying emails but never actually meet up. I'm not sure how Columbia got such a relatively large Vet population - they're similar size/prestige schools, in large NE cities. Penn seems more pre-professional focused, but I would think would be appealing to the GI-bill set.

Like, here's a link to the Penn Veterans association that I found on the student services page:
http://upennveterans.org/

We have over 400 undergrad vets. It's a ridiculously big population. Columbia also has a strong pre-professional focus, and I think that it contributes to some of the douchebaggery that goes on. The vet group receives very little money from the school, yet rakes in tons of donor cash. I think our budget last year was in the neighborhood of $65,000, almost all of it from donors. As such, board members are interfacing with important donor companies (Goldman Sachs, Google, Oliver Wyman, etc) on a regular basis, and some of the real ladder-climbers really want that face time with those kinds of companies. That can lead to animosity, and the eventual dysfunctional douchebaggery that we saw here.

Time Crisis Actor fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Feb 5, 2016

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
My college has you beat by about a hundred or so. There is no drama because the vet population doesn't care enough to actively support a student veterans group.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

psydude posted:

You probably make more as an IT guy than they would ever pay you, which I'm guessing is exactly what you told them.

That and I don't have to suffer under LockMart bullshit like half my family does.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
I miss my chance to use nepotism to get an easy job at GE :saddowns:

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

TheQuietWilds posted:

I'm not sure how Columbia got such a relatively large Vet population - they're similar size/prestige schools, in large NE cities.

I don't know the numbers, but veteran status is a HUGE bonus for your application at Columbia on the undergrad and grad side. Columbia also, I believe, is generous with Yellow Ribbon funds. Lastly, we've had several waves of students getting in here, finding the experience positive, and encouraging their friends to follow along ("Dude, if you apply you're gonna get in, and etc. etc.")

A big reason the vet population lags at Ivies and other top schools is folks don't even apply, assuming they'd never get in. and they'd be right, if administrators weren't artificially favoring our backgrounds

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

Deathy McDeath posted:

We have over 400 undergrad vets. It's a ridiculously big population. Columbia also has a strong pre-professional focus, and I think that it contributes to some of the douchebaggery that goes on. The vet group receives very little money from the school, yet rakes in tons of donor cash. I think our budget last year was in the neighborhood of $65,000, almost all of it from donors. As such, board members are interfacing with important donor companies (Goldman Sachs, Google, Oliver Wyman, etc) on a regular basis, and some of the real ladder-climbers really want that face time with those kinds of companies. That can lead to animosity, and the eventual dysfunctional douchebaggery that we saw here.

Bingo, say no more.

Zeris posted:

I don't know the numbers, but veteran status is a HUGE bonus for your application at Columbia on the undergrad and grad side. Columbia also, I believe, is generous with Yellow Ribbon funds. Lastly, we've had several waves of students getting in here, finding the experience positive, and encouraging their friends to follow along ("Dude, if you apply you're gonna get in, and etc. etc.")

A big reason the vet population lags at Ivies and other top schools is folks don't even apply, assuming they'd never get in. and they'd be right, if administrators weren't artificially favoring our backgrounds

I don't know if Penn let me in on the basis of being a Vet or not (I suspect I got some sort of preference), but I've only met two people in the pre-med program who are vets. One was whatever the chairforce version of rent-a-cop is, and she's doing well. The other was a MC Arti Officer who showed up last semester, claimed some sort of high-speed trigger-puller experiences in Afghanistan and proceeded to get wrecked by biochemistry and then get super butthurt about a prior enlisted guy (me) crushing it. I haven't seen him this semester. I imagine more vets would get in if they applied here, since it's not like I'm outrageously overqualified. I had a 3.5ish GPA from my pre-military undergrad studies and a comparably respectable GRE, and probably some good letters of rec. Nothing that screams "Ivy League."

TheQuietWilds fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Feb 5, 2016

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Oh man my highly esteemed private university totally let me in because I was a vet. I am well aware of that.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
gotta hit those LGBTV numbers

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
I THINK THAT "PRIMA DONNA" IS "PRE-MADONNA". I MAY BE ILLITERATE.

go3 posted:

gotta hit those LGBTV numbers

They should put the vet counselor in the LGBT office

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
What the gently caress does the V stand for?

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Booblord Zagats posted:

What the gently caress does the V stand for?

uh veteran duh

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Velociraptor you cis gently caress

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
oh poo poo im sorry i forgot to check my privilege :negative:

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Velociraptor you cis gently caress

Please tell me you have that on your desk in your office or on your wall somewhere

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I keep it at home. Once I get a full-time position, it'll be going up.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Is that last one for real? I mean do you really have to educate engineers in basic social interaction?

Didn't I tell you about the engineers at my school? And that's Yeehaw State University, so it's a low bar.

I'm a weird sophomore but freshman so I'm taking
College algebra (wanted to start fresh with math)
Technical writing
Intro to Mechanical Engineering
Human Communication (required)
World Lit 1600's and up

Algebra and Intro to ME are on campus, the rest are online.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

By office I meant at home on your desk. I'm beaming with pride that you might put it up at your actual job.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

get this so everyone knows where they stand

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
It'll be a fun game to see how I can explain what it is without someone taking me to HR.

• Locked thread