Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Discount Trombones
Jan 22, 2014

Jerusalem posted:

It's fun to listen to somebody who doesn't so much fight the Meltzer steamroller as apparently be completely unaware of its presence :allears:
It's basically two steamrollers that pass in the night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Discount Trombones posted:

It's basically two steamrollers that pass in the night.

With Bryan Alvarez in the middle trying desperately to close out the show.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

I don't like Jim

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Still coughing and spluttering?

Muddy Burphy
Dec 4, 2010

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frogc00l:

he knows...

yea ok posted:

I don't like Jim

From Virginia > Cornette

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Bryan Alvarez Screams At His Cable Company: The Show

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I liked how right after Corny's demented rant, Dave just goes 'uh I like Lucha Underground'

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
I wonder how Konnan feels about Jim and his thoughts on Lucha Underground. I find it funny that Jim doesn't like Lucha Underground yet his podcast is hosted by the people that help produce that show.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

mariooncrack posted:

I wonder how Konnan feels about Jim and his thoughts on Lucha Underground. I find it funny that Jim doesn't like Lucha Underground yet his podcast is hosted by the people that help produce that show.

He's probably psyched that Jim Cornette is good at getting his podcast attention.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

MassRafTer posted:

He's probably psyched that Jim Cornette is good at getting his podcast attention.

He might even say that...controversy creates cash

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool

Marquis de Pyro posted:

He might even say that...controversy creates cash. Boom.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Jubs posted:

I hope you guys answer all of my previous questions/requests from this thread, no matter how outdated they may be:

1. Who was Paul Heyman's biggest con: 911 or Public Enemy?

Oh definitely 911 out of the two. He was just a big guy with no charisma and a really bad chokeslam.

Public Enemy were terrible but they were legitimately sleazy weird philly guys who got over for that in front of other sleazy weird philly guys

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

One of them was like 40 years old and good at wrestling and the other was really bad, I don't remember which is which.

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

i love it when you call me big poppa
Jim Cornette wants to be the Lucha-hating southern heel in LU so bad.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

DannoMack posted:

Jim Cornette wants to be the Lucha-hating southern heel in LU so bad.

It's important to frame all of his recent outbursts in this context and remember that this has never worked for him. It always gets the thing he hates over but then nobody wants to actually do business with him

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Public Enemy is the bigger con because they lasted longer as an act purely based on the rep Paul built for them, and got contracts with big money companies based on said rep.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

oatgan posted:

It's important to frame all of his recent outbursts in this context and remember that this has never worked for him. It always gets the thing he hates over but then nobody wants to actually do business with him

What exactly does Jim Cornette do now for money? I can't imagine his podcasting job pays the bills, and I remember seeing he's got a relatively nice house. How much money was he making even when he was involved in wrestling or booking?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

He's retired and seems to have a lot of money. I think he made good investments and saved it all. Building a nice house in the middle of nowhere in Tennessee probably didn't cost as much whenever he did it.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
He also sells merchandise on his site, makes fanfest appearances, and works with kayfabe commentaries. I don't think he makes that much money off of that though. He's casually mentioned losing like $100k in the stock market crash in 2008 so probably mostly investments.

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

oatgan posted:

So that's why Islam's the fastest growing religion

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Also he was around for a looooong time in prominent roles when wrestling was very lucrative.

That said, I don't know if he put his own money into Smokey Mountain Wrestling or not, I can imagine that might have made a severe impact on his finances if so.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Luigi Thirty posted:

but seriously i fully understand how he feels, dealing with cable companies is the worst

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Cardboard Box posted:

but seriously i fully understand how he feels, dealing with cable companies is the worst

I just got my friends cable/internet account transferred over to me yesterday cause he's moving out, and I was absolutely shocked at how easy it was. I was expecting fees or some weird safety deposit or something but all I had to do is sign a thing

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Jerusalem posted:

Also he was around for a looooong time in prominent roles when wrestling was very lucrative.

That said, I don't know if he put his own money into Smokey Mountain Wrestling or not, I can imagine that might have made a severe impact on his finances if so.

He had backers for SMW.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Well in that case I have no problem with believing he's probably loaded/set for life.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

oatgan posted:

LU should hire El Presidente Bruce Tharpe for that purpose since he doesn't seem to be doing NJPW any more

cronox2
Jul 24, 2010

woah, you look
REALLY pissed off...
Judging by the people who in my family who were with a cable company that got bought out by Frontier, Frontier is a special brand of incompetent.

BlueArmyMan
Mar 30, 2007
Hooloovoo

Thauros posted:

LU should hire El Presidente Bruce Tharpe for that purpose since he doesn't seem to be doing NJPW any more

I'd like that a whole lot.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Lucha Underground is cool and good and Jim Cornette is a jobbie.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Aesop Poprock posted:

I just got my friends cable/internet account transferred over to me yesterday cause he's moving out, and I was absolutely shocked at how easy it was. I was expecting fees or some weird safety deposit or something but all I had to do is sign a thing
yeah the bit that involves you giving them money is never the hard part

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

St Evan Echoes posted:

yeah the bit that involves you giving them money is never the hard part

Well that's the thing, I expected there to be some ridiculous payment I'd have to make to switch from one name to another even though it was in the same house, or some cancellation fee my roommate would have to pay or whatever. But it was pain free.

Why are we talking about this again am I a middle aged man all of a sudden

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Aesop Poprock posted:

Fully expect you to get doublefucked in a few months when they screw up your billing somehow.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
I did appreciate the reveal after they finished the LU review. Vinny just completely forgetting to watch Raw was pretty great.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
One of Cornette's backers was Rick Rubin. That dude is LOADED.

a retard
Jan 7, 2013

by Lowtax

El Gallinero Gros posted:

One of Cornette's backers was Rick Rubin. That dude is LOADED.

Rubin also only bankrolled SMW under the condition that there had to be a mummy gimmick at some point, I guess because Rubin really wanted to see a wrestling mummy.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

a retard posted:

Rubin also only bankrolled SMW under the condition that there had to be a mummy gimmick at some point, I guess because Rubin really wanted to see a wrestling mummy.

What, the Yeti wasn't enough for him?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Aesop Poprock posted:

What, the Yeti wasn't enough for him?

Bischoff was insistent that there were no mummies.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Luigi Thirty posted:

Chico never realized he was chatting with a bot, either.

*edit*

"I love my bubble!"

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Luigi Thirty posted:

This better get write-ins for feud of the year next year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

a retard posted:

Managed by Jim Mitchell, who threatened to have said mummy force whichever of the R n R express has a lazy eye to give that mummy a winkjob. That is exactly what it sounds like, I'm thinking.

• Locked thread