Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

The real solution to the rMut problem is to remove the malmutate ability and give those enemies Irradiate so characters have to deal with even more irresistible damage that can instantly make a game unwinnable, but also get the ability to avoid it.

...and to give the people who like saying "just walk away" something to feel smug about.

Also because Trog desperately needs to be buffed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

World Famous W posted:

Also, Traps & Doors was the worst skill and I am glad it is dead. I do miss disarming arrow/needle traps early game for a few extra ammunition though.
I miss the titles you could get from it & stabbing skill.

The level 27 stabbing title was 'Politician'.

VVV Oh is that where it went. I heard somewhere that the title went to Dith, but whoever said that was a filthy liar.

Darox fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Feb 5, 2016

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...
You can still get Politician. It's for Short Blades now.

Mystery Prize
Nov 7, 2010
Sometimes being malmutated is outright unavoidable. I autoexplored into a Neqoxec that immediately gave me blurry vision 1 before I had a turn to react, and that is really, really loving stupid.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

apple posted:

Back then it was much easier to make it harder on yourself by not doing annoying stuff like dropping potions so they don't shatter to cold attacks, dropping scrolls so they don't burn to fire attacks, making (and managing) stashes because weight limits forced you to shuffle items around, picking up weapons so the enemy doesn't use it, etc. Not knowing the minimum amount of a stat needed to avoid being put instantly into stat death was also a common killer, but it was prevented by... knowing the magic number you need for your lowest stat.
Speaking for myself I never ever bothered with paying attention to keeping the amount of stats to prevent stat death and never once died because of it. Maybe I was lucky but I have a sneaking suspicion, based on the small number of kinda rare monsters that drained int, that it was one of those things people make a much bigger deal over than it actually was.

I don't miss having arguments about how item destruction totally makes crawl a better game, you guys, it's tactical and interesting to walk back to doors/stairs and drop all your scrolls on the ground whenever you see a mottled dragon, and then pick them back up again once it's dead

Internet Kraken posted:

VVV Cool, another pointless nerf because devs can't come up with ways to improve spells instead of removing them. That's a bunch of AC lost for statue form users.
stoneskin was a dumbass spell and I will not mourn its passing

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Feb 5, 2016

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

IronicDongz posted:

Speaking for myself I never ever bothered with paying attention to keeping the amount of stats to prevent stat death and never once died because of it. Maybe I was lucky but I have a sneaking suspicion, based on the small number of kinda rare monsters that drained int, that it was one of those things people make a much bigger deal over than it actually was.

I have had three notable stat deaths. A deep elf who instantly died in hive because they wore-id'ed a -6 ring of strength, a troll who got dexkilled by that lesser demon that drains dex on hit, and a minotaur who got slammed by mummy curses and lost his brain, didn't have any restore stats or royal jelly and ran out of breath before he could even reach the tomb exit.

Even though instantly dying to a ring is kinda funny with hindsight, I'm glad stat death is no longer a thing. I have dropped below 0 str/int many times since it was removed.

ThermosAquaticus
Nov 9, 2013
Did the demonspawn bonus with demon weapons disappear with the rest of the racial bonuses to equipment?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
The way I see it, the quality of life changes don't make the game easier or harder. Except the corrosion change, the old way was a lot less dangerous. The big things are the addition of gargoyles, vine stalkers, maybe formicids, definitely Ashenzari, that all make for pretty powerful characters. Balancing that stuff out is all the little nerfs and the big XP nerf from a while back.

rj54x
Sep 16, 2007
The "Double Melee Damage" thing a while back significantly decreased difficulty for a while.

I still didn't ascend anybody while that was active :fail:

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

rj54x posted:

The "Double Melee Damage" thing a while back significantly decreased difficulty for a while.

I still didn't ascend anybody while that was active :fail:

I may have abused that accidentally with an already stacked Demonspawn that just sliced and diced his way through zig after zig. :black101:

I think the first quality of life change that I was immensely grateful for was the changes to piety and unless I'm misremembering from 10+ years ago, how you had hit "P" to be basically in prayer mode so that the poo poo you did actually got you points from your god for doing it.

And no one has mentioned starting off with a boot knife rather than having to pick up a dagger on Floor 1 to cut up a tasty rat and finding it's a cursed -2 one that you're stuck with unless you just do the smart thing and restart!

After that the corrosion and item weight were huge.

Still mad about how nothing has been done about rMut/malmutate. It's undoubtedly the most frustrating part of crawl at the moment and is actually making me not want to play.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
My first and only streak was during the double damage bug. I feel like I need asterisks on my player page, like Tom Brady.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

FulsomFrank posted:

I think the first quality of life change that I was immensely grateful for was the changes to piety and unless I'm misremembering from 10+ years ago, how you had hit "P" to be basically in prayer mode so that the poo poo you did actually got you points from your god for doing it.

And no one has mentioned starting off with a boot knife rather than having to pick up a dagger on Floor 1 to cut up a tasty rat and finding it's a cursed -2 one that you're stuck with unless you just do the smart thing and restart!

No, you're right about having to be essentially Zin reciting to have kills count for gods that cared about that sort of thing. Nemelex had a little sacrificial altar you carried around so you could sacrifice items to them for the decks instead of having to go back to a real altar.

As for the second thing, the inverse could be true and having a cursed hammer you picked up hoping it would be an upgrade to your current lovely club prevented you entirely from cutting up floor food. Get unlucky and you could potentially starve yourself to death before finding prepared food or a scroll of remove curse.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Replace Malmutate with a Bolt of Corruption that does minor to moderate damage, causes contam, and has a chance to corrupt with temporary mutations like those rear end in a top hat stars in the Abyss. Make high contam a bit more likely to malmutate, and specifically much more likely to cement a level of a temporary mutation and render it permanent. Better not go carelessly spamming Haste and cBlink around them Orbs of Fire!

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Or just bring back Clarity, Stasis, and rMut. Swappable resists are not a bad thing. Maybe move some other rings to the amulet slot to encourage more swapping.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Honestly just straight up replace malmut with bolt of contamination, one for one. Orbs of fire and pan lords can send you straight to yellow if they roll well, everything else sends you to grey on the first cast. Neqoxecs usually require three casts to yellow you, but can do it in two if lucky.

Also, replace shining eyes with wretched stars, they even fit with slime's theme reasonably well.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Replace Shining Eyes with more Acid Blobs. Also replace the Slime walls with Acid Blobs. The jellies and slime creatures too.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Another possible solution would be to replace Malmutate with a spell/ranged version of the phantasmal warrior effect. In all the places that Malmutate is utilized, halving MR would be a much greater tactical effect against the player than mutations could be without resorting to giving high level mutations all the time.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat
So, was playing the latest trunk build last night to get a feel of the new wands, and Pakellas. Not sure I made the correct choice supercharging my wand of acid. Think it might have been a better idea to supercharge the iron rod instead.

That said, I'm really, really pleased with the acid wand. An acid charge/corrosion followed by an iron shot seems to kill almost anything. The only thing that survived that combination was Saint Roka, though I did die right before Vaults, so it might lose effectiveness. Will need to try again, because I'd like to get both acid and iceblast in one run, but pretty pleased with this.

Matlock Birthmark fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Feb 5, 2016

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Angry Diplomat posted:

Replace Malmutate with a Bolt of Corruption that does minor to moderate damage, causes contam, and has a chance to corrupt with temporary mutations like those rear end in a top hat stars in the Abyss. Make high contam a bit more likely to malmutate, and specifically much more likely to cement a level of a temporary mutation and render it permanent. Better not go carelessly spamming Haste and cBlink around them Orbs of Fire!

This is a Very Good Idea. I like it because A) it's an attack that can be dodged/deflected (if that's what you're intending with the bolt descriptor) B) if you get hit with it it it doesn't punish you immediately per se but makes things worse and worse, compounding player failure to get out of the situation. But it also gives you a buffer to deal with it as opposed to turning a corner and getting a lovely look from a shining eye and ending up with teleportitis.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

FulsomFrank posted:

This is a Very Good Idea. I like it because A) it's an attack that can be dodged/deflected (if that's what you're intending with the bolt descriptor)

Yeah, the idea was that it shouldn't be an instant temporary day-ruiner from anywhere in sight (Wretched Stars already do that; no need to step on their toes), but it should be really hard to avoid if you're loitering around in view of its caster, since it can penetrate other creatures to strike you and its casters probably won't be shy about blasting it through their buddies (who wouldn't care about most of its effects anyway). But, by the same token, a huge mob of demons isn't usually going to be capable of dumping egregious amounts of contam and corruption all over you every round, because most of their bolts will peter out before punching through the 200 Executioners exfoliating your eyeballs.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

ThermosAquaticus posted:

Did the demonspawn bonus with demon weapons disappear with the rest of the racial bonuses to equipment?

I believe so. It's not around these days, in any case.

WereVolvo
Jan 12, 2011
"Fun" is not a design goal.

Angry Diplomat posted:

200 Executioners exfoliating your eyeballs.

New/next thread title found. Laughed hard at the mental images this conjured up.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
So, after an unusually productive trip to an ice cave, this is what I have for weapons:

I'm currently at 16 polearms, which crosstrains up to 11 axes. Should I switch to axes since I have the exec axe all lined up for endgame, and have a pretty decent intermediate weapon? I have rC+ from a mutation so the rC- on the axe isn't too dangerous.

cheetah7071 fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Feb 5, 2016

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

cheetah7071 posted:

So, after an unusually productive trip to an ice cave, this is what I have for weapons:

I'm currently at 16 polearms, which crosstrains up to 11 axes. Should I switch to axes since I have the exec axe all lined up for endgame, and have a pretty decent intermediate weapon? I have rC+ from a mutation so the rC- ont he axe isn't too dangerous.

A demon trident of freezing is good enough to beat the game, and you've already finished the training for it. Instead of training Axes, you can be training spells or defenses to not die.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID

quote:

You impale the seven-headed hydra!!
The seven-headed hydra is heavily wounded.

Man, I got this, I've taken a bunch down already and one more swing with this awesome GSC and it's paste!

quote:

You barely miss the seven-headed hydra. You headbutt the seven-headed hydra.
The seven-headed hydra is severely wounded.
The seven-headed hydra bites you!
* * * LOW HITPOINT WARNING * * *
The seven-headed hydra bites you.
You die...

:stare:

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
still had one bite left in him too

apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders

IronicDongz posted:

It's bound to happen at some point, usually reserved for worse-case scenario INT drain attacks or cursed stat rings so it's not terribly common. Getting to the minimum "safe" level for a stat was a pretty small investment and it lets you play more "loose" and take more risks. Of course, if RNG treated you right you can just fall back on restore abilities or royal jellies, but that's still dangerous if you have to fight with the near-stat death debuff.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Suggestions that involve replacing malmut with contam aren't that good, contam is an awful mechanic.

Floodkiller posted:

Another possible solution would be to replace Malmutate with a spell/ranged version of the phantasmal warrior effect. In all the places that Malmutate is utilized, halving MR would be a much greater tactical effect against the player than mutations could be without resorting to giving high level mutations all the time.
This on the other hand is a good one.

Did you know Cacodemons have hexes? I never remember because by the time I am fighting them in Pan they can never affect me.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Darox posted:

Suggestions that involve replacing malmut with contam aren't that good, contam is an awful mechanic.

This on the other hand is a good one.

Did you know Cacodemons have hexes? I never remember because by the time I am fighting them in Pan they can never affect me.

I'm too busy dodging their mutations to worry about their hexes but I can't say I've ever noticed it.

The variation on contam that is being proposed is that if it hits high enough levels you'll get temporary bad ones a la wretched stars and if you keep that level contam up there's a chance those lovely temporary mutations can become lovely permanent ones. Instead of regular contamination which just fucks you over with a perma-malmutate (and/or stat drop? I cannot recall) after sufficient build up.

Why do you dislike contamination as a mechanic though? Doesn't it encourage people not control blinking all over the place and casting haste willy-nilly?

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Apport: the Orb of Zot
The orb shrieks as your magic touches it!
Yoink! You pull the item towards yourself.
You see here the Orb of Zot.
More changes in trunk: Xom finished scooping back up all the chesspieces from the last time it played chess (i.e. they're removed), all the rods of destruction got destroyed, rods of the swarm are mercifully no more , and death cobs were changed to no longer hunger you to death (they now drain speed like wraiths and death scarabs do; said drain speed effect has also been changed to work on hit period but not do any additional damage, so they're now terrifying in a different way).

Also potions of poison were removed and replaced with the previously removed potion of degeneration, which was made nastier (now 1-3 points in all stats rather than just 1-4 in a single stat). At least stat drain recovery was made easier early on so the effects of accidentally drinking one aren't as brutal?

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

FulsomFrank posted:

The variation on contam that is being proposed is that if it hits high enough levels you'll get temporary bad ones a la wretched stars and if you keep that level contam up there's a chance those lovely temporary mutations can become lovely permanent ones.

I kind of like the sound of that, it gives you just the right amount of leeway where you can make decisions about if you think the incoming mutations are bad enough to quaff a cancelation potion over.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

the Orb of Zot posted:

More changes in trunk: Xom finished scooping back up all the chesspieces from the last time it played chess (i.e. they're removed), all the rods of destruction got destroyed, rods of the swarm are mercifully no more , and death cobs were changed to no longer hunger you to death (they now drain speed like wraiths and death scarabs do; said drain speed effect has also been changed to work on hit period but not do any additional damage, so they're now terrifying in a different way).

Also potions of poison were removed and replaced with the previously removed potion of degeneration, which was made nastier (now 1-3 points in all stats rather than just 1-4 in a single stat). At least stat drain recovery was made easier early on so the effects of accidentally drinking one aren't as brutal?
these are some goodass changes

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

FulsomFrank posted:

I'm too busy dodging their mutations to worry about their hexes but I can't say I've ever noticed it.

The variation on contam that is being proposed is that if it hits high enough levels you'll get temporary bad ones a la wretched stars and if you keep that level contam up there's a chance those lovely temporary mutations can become lovely permanent ones. Instead of regular contamination which just fucks you over with a perma-malmutate (and/or stat drop? I cannot recall) after sufficient build up.

Why do you dislike contamination as a mechanic though? Doesn't it encourage people not control blinking all over the place and casting haste willy-nilly?
It only does so in the weakest way possible. Haste and CBlink work just as well as ever when you are heavily contaminated, it only provides a long term disadvantage. But if you are doing the orb run, zigs, or even just regular extended (aka places where you are most likely to hit this cap through necessity) the downsides are almost totally negligible. You're either about to win or you can almost certainly just chug a curemut to clear it if it's a problem, so it doesn't really prevent you from abusing them you are in a pinch.

On the flip side it's another thing that you have to deal with by sitting in a corner and mashing '5' constantly if you're using invis or haste to prevent those emergencies, and the most fun thing in crawl is definitely waiting for your character to be usable again.

apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders

the Orb of Zot posted:

:swoon:

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Is RegenMP a new base amulet type?

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Whoops, mp...

Ya it's new. Need to be at full mana for it to start working.

Mystery Prize
Nov 7, 2010
I lost internet during a game on CZSO and now my account is stuck in a game and I can't see a way to quit out of it or rejoin it :(

Is there someone I can talk to about resetting it? I can't find an IRC or anything.

Edit: Nevermind, waiting about a half an hour appears to have fixed it.

Mystery Prize fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Feb 6, 2016

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Just had my first ever orb run death. That was super weird; I had the easiest V:5, depths, and zot I've ever had and then suddenly the game generates the nastiest pan lords I've ever seen and I start rolling poorly on my skyhigh defenses (50 AC, 20 EV, 36 SH). It's my own drat fault, just like all lategae deaths are (I forgot glaciate slowed your movement speed, and I should have quaffed haste the instant I saw a pan lord just in case it was a nasty one), but it still feels bad.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

FulsomFrank posted:

Starving to death because you equipped a cursed whip in the beginning of the game was great.

the Orb of Zot posted:

More changes in trunk: Xom finished scooping back up all the chesspieces from the last time it played chess (i.e. they're removed), all the rods of destruction got destroyed, rods of the swarm are mercifully no more
I could never get the Chesspieces to work out well for me so ok with that. Rods of Swarm were nice at high evoc but I won't particularity miss them, along with the destruction. Better odds of Acquirement giving me a shotgun or ignition rod is always good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice
I liked using Rods of the Swarm to create chaff as a DD of Pakellas. Plus wasps could paralyze and bee poison was great in Spider.

Boo.

• Locked thread