Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

yeah disable that too then

in fact permanently disable the secure enclave in the case of any hardware alteration and destroy the data so the fingerprint cannot be recovered, who cares

but why brick the entire loving phone lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug
I'm not sure lately, its gotten to be DRM in everything Apple though, cables, chargers, etc.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

qirex posted:

yeah I guess if you only listen to the mainstream crap streaming services actually have on your 2" bluetooth speaker they're probably pretty needs suiting

oh we're going down that route?

lmao gently caress off - google play has some incredibly deep cuts plus i can upload all my music so i can stream it anywhere

so people who stream music only do so to their shower speaker? and not their cars? or stereo for a party? etc. etc.

lol

get the gently caress outta here with that rhetoric

edit: like anyone who says, "ugh mainstream crap" most likely listens to poo poo that is immensely popula
r

and in the days of the internet, who ISNT super popular aside from things like french bands only put out cassettes

emoji
Jun 4, 2004

It's about controlling the counterfeit parts market and being able to void warranty on units with unauthorized repairs, not the incredibly unlikely conspiracy theory level security concerns.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

yea that's probably better than if someone got a new sensor installed that uploaded all their prints to Russian gangsters

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!

mishaq posted:

yeah disable that too then

in fact permanently disable the secure enclave in the case of any hardware alteration and destroy the data so the fingerprint cannot be recovered, who cares

but why brick the entire loving phone lol

probably already too late by the time you get to the point where the OS can send a delete command and have the fingerprint storage carry that out.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!
there is alwayus android if you would like for your fingerprint data to be compromised for the rest of your life though.

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

theultimo posted:

http://www.macrumors.com/2016/02/05/error-53-home-button-iphone-brick/

Freelance photographer Antonio Olmos is one such affected iPhone 6 user who had his iPhone repaired in Macedonia while working. He said "it worked perfectly" after the repair shop finished fixing the broken screen and home button, but once he updated to iOS 9 he got an "error 53" message and could no longer access any of his personal content on the iPhone. An Apple Store in London was shown the issue, and staff there admitted there was nothing they could do for him besides sell him a new iPhone.

iphone_6_hands
“The whole thing is extraordinary. How can a company deliberately make their own products useless with an upgrade and not warn their own customers about it? Outside of the big industrialized nations, Apple stores are few and far between, and damaged phones can only be brought back to life by small third-party repairers," Olmos said. "I am not even sure these third-party outfits even know this is a potential problem."
Speaking with The Guardian, iFixit's Kyle Wiens said that the issue, while still unclear, appears to be Apple ensuring only genuine components are being used for repairs. Once a third party changes the home button or internal cable, the iPhone checks to be sure that all original components are running the phone, and if there are any discrepancies users face the "error 53" message and can't access their data. Since mentions of "error 53" span a few versions of iOS, it's unclear specifically which software update began the phone-locking error message.

An Apple spokeswoman commented on the issue, referring to protective security features intended to prevent "malicious" third-party components from potentially compromising a user's iPhone as the main reason for the "error 53" message.
“We protect fingerprint data using a secure enclave, which is uniquely paired to the touch ID sensor. When iPhone is serviced by an authorised Apple service provider or Apple retail store for changes that affect the touch ID sensor, the pairing is re-validated. This check ensures the device and the iOS features related to touch ID remain secure. Without this unique pairing, a malicious touch ID sensor could be substituted, thereby gaining access to the secure enclave. When iOS detects that the pairing fails, touch ID, including Apple Pay, is disabled so the device remains secure.”

She adds: “When an iPhone is serviced by an unauthorized repair provider, faulty screens or other invalid components that affect the touch ID sensor could cause the check to fail if the pairing cannot be validated. With a subsequent update or restore, additional security checks result in an ‘error 53’ being displayed … If a customer encounters an unrecoverable error 53, we recommend contacting Apple support.”
Other than that, Apple hasn't commented on the issue or outlined exactly what the company can do for those affected by the iPhone bricking error message. Mentions of "error 53" have been around since at least last April, where some users have encountered the issue in software updates as early as iOS 8.3.

obviously they should drop the Secure Element and store the fingerprints as a BMP so that idiots can use any Shenzhen leftover fingerprint sensor they want

Secure Element and Shenzhen autocapitalize lol

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

from what i'm hearing it sounds like a moral imperative to use android at this point, if you at all value your software freedom

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

carry on then posted:

from what i'm hearing it sounds like a moral imperative to use android at this point, if you at all value your software freedom

apple taking the security of biometric data seriously is cool + good

but i dunno if this is purely that

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!
i'll take it over unsecured BMPs being passed around the OS

emoji
Jun 4, 2004

Stux posted:

there is alwayus android if you would like for your fingerprint data to be compromised for the rest of your life though.

What about the part where you leave that data on literally everything you touch?

mishaq posted:

apple taking the security of biometric data seriously is cool + good

but i dunno if this is purely that

It's not.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!

emoji posted:

What about the part where you leave that data on literally everything you touch?

there s a difference between leaving my fingerprints on things i touch and a device taking a high resolution scan of it and then that getting compromised by malicious parties

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!
also the part where on that device my fingerprint can then give access to my banking, paypal, whatever

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug
Yeah sure disable it yeah if there is an issue

BUT loving BRICKING A PHONE

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!

theultimo posted:

Yeah sure disable it yeah if there is an issue

BUT loving BRICKING A PHONE

all they did was disable it, its just that to effectively disable that part of the phone to the point where it can no longer be compromised the whole phone has to be disabled.

emoji
Jun 4, 2004

Stux posted:

also the part where on that device my fingerprint can then give access to my banking, paypal, whatever

The fingerprint and method in which they represent it is only an iOS construct to unlock some stored tokens you previously generated on that specific device. It has no connection to your actual accounts. AKA it's useless in some third party's hands.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I replaced an integral part of my security architecture with a hacked third party clone, why won't apple support it?

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

lol @ engaging stux

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!

emoji posted:

The fingerprint and method in which they represent it is only an iOS construct to unlock some stored tokens you previously generated on that specific device. It has no connection to your actual accounts. AKA it's useless in some third party's hands.

cool but theyll still have my fingerprint so we're still at "things i never want happening thanks" levels of security issues

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

The Management posted:

I replaced an integral part of my security architecture with a hacked third party clone, why won't apple support it?

I performed a routine part swap on a device I own, and the device destroyed itself because it was designed to eliminate the market for third-party repair shops.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

good. third parties can get hosed.

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug

carry on then posted:

I performed a routine part swap on a device I own, and the device destroyed itself because it was designed to eliminate the market for third-party repair shops.

P much

The conspiracy theories of those parts taking my print s is hilarious

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!

THC posted:

good. third parties can get hosed.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!
also i dont think u can put "fingerprint scanner" in routine part swap

there are plenty of routine part swaps u can do on an iphone yourself or with a third party but i have no idea why u would

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug
Cracked screen repair Apple vs 3rd party is like a 4x difference

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

It is my right, as the owner of a device, to take actions to enhance the functionality of that device without the authorization of the manufacturer. These actions are anti-consumer and anti-poor, pure and simple.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

an IC which is specifically and intentionally programmed to only work with the phone it was made for, and this was publicly stated by the manufacturer. oh you know, just a routine part swap

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

carry on then posted:

It is my right, as the owner of a device, to take actions to enhance the functionality of that device without the authorization of the manufacturer
lol no it is not

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!

theultimo posted:

Cracked screen repair Apple vs 3rd party is like a 4x difference

actually cheaper here than going to the carrier but also i dont trust a third party with that

had to take my mums 6 in for a screen replacement and went to the apple store like a normal person. came back after having lunch and they said they were unable to do the repair as the machine had broken or something idk so instead they just handed over a brand new boxed 6.

thanks apple. thapple.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Stux posted:

works for me with no issues OP sounds like you're loving idiot dumb and bad and should maybe use something more suiting your needs for example a garbage bag or tire fire.

this is needlessly rude. its ok to say you like apple without trying to justify their bad software decisions :wave:

emoji
Jun 4, 2004

The Management posted:

You're smart enough to know it's actually the same parts from the same factories and it's purely serial number based and about eliminating 3rd party repair shops.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

emoji posted:

You're smart enough to know it's actually the same parts from the same factories and it's purely serial number based and about eliminating 3rd party repair shops.

yep, it's definitely apple choosing to take some flak in the media for that sweet 1st party home button repair money.

if they were doing this to kill third parties, they would have just enabled this on new devices and that market would have dried up without any bad press.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
somewhere in Cupertino Tim is pounding on a desk, screaming about why the home button repair profits are down this quarter

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The Office of Personnel Management already lost enough personal info for a security clearance, like 3 years worth of references and past addresses and stuff, on top of my full finger and palm prints, so I'm that one insanely edge case where I don't care about biometric security because everything besides my retina and dickprint has been stolen. FTW.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Please do not enroll your penis in Touch ID.

emoji
Jun 4, 2004

The Management posted:

somewhere in Cupertino Tim is pounding on a desk, screaming about why the home button repair profits are down this quarter

It's about preventing people from swapping third party modified phones for new ones at the Apple Store, which is a real problem. But that can be checked at the store. It doesn't need to brick the existing phone if the user has no intention of returning to the Apple Store.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Stux posted:

actually cheaper here than going to the carrier but also i dont trust a third party with that

had to take my mums 6 in for a screen replacement and went to the apple store like a normal person. came back after having lunch and they said they were unable to do the repair as the machine had broken or something idk so instead they just handed over a brand new boxed 6.

thanks apple. thapple.

so what should someone in a third world country without an apple store do, like new zealand

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
people who buy iphones can pay to replace their bricked phones immediately no problem so it is obviously not a problem

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Larry Parrish posted:

The Office of Personnel Management already lost enough personal info for a security clearance, like 3 years worth of references and past addresses and stuff, on top of my full finger and palm prints, so I'm that one insanely edge case where I don't care about biometric security because everything besides my retina and dickprint has been stolen. FTW.

same

• Locked thread