Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Kenshin posted:

No kidding. I might go ahead and pick one up then, I almost grabbed one off Amazon a few days ago just for this purpose.

Has anyone in the thread actually used one for this? Is it that good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

i love the timers so far but the missions where the timer description says something along the lines of "turns remaining before you're forced to retreat" should probably not count down until you break concealment imo.

either that or change the description

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
A Smoke Grenade/Mimic Beacon combo would work nicely.
The hologram has a set amount of HP, so giving them a evasion boost works out nicely and extends its longevity!

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

Found something interesting about hacking. The odds of succeeding a hack actually fluctuate every single time you take a shot. So If you see something you really want out of a hack, like say "hacking stat permenantly increases by 20" but there's only a 24 percent chance of getting it, try taking a shot with another soldier first. Then go check the hack again, the odds will have changed slightly. I've seen stuff very within 20 percent, so this hack I wanted I was able to gimmick up to a 40 percent odds of getting instead of a 20 percent odds of getting.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005
Playing my first ever ironman game. It's very hard to get over the losing a dude sulk but it makes every shot so tense.

Only performance issue I have is the audio is out of sync for every movie. Anyone know a fix?

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Holy poo poo this game. I'm well aware of probability biases, but goddamn does it feel like 75% shots fail like 50% of the time (:psyduck:)

I loooooove the personality the characters have now. Seeing my squad of twitchy and depressed rookies is so neat. RIP twitchy balding Spanish rookie :(

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Anyone figure out the custom weapon stuff yet? Is it locked to a soldier or just bugged I can't get it off one?

gently caress yeah.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
Commander difficulty was kicking my rear end. Everything took 2-3 attacks to kill. Melee kept missing at 88% hit chance. Every mission is a bunch of heavily injured people and occasionally death. Then I researched mag weapon and the game just turned into easy mode (and I guess my A-team came online at the exact same time). Did the black site and another mission without a scratch. Really loving the game so far except the load time.

Makes me kind of want to restart a run and just rush mag weapon instead of wasting time on autopsy (especially since you can do them for free after awhile). I know doing autopsy wasn't a great idea, but I wanted to learn about the new aliens :(

pedro0930 fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Feb 6, 2016

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Mukaikubo posted:

I love so much about this game, but there's some... weird decisions going on, mostly about difficulty, that I just don't understand.

Don't take the "cheating" talk too seriously, that's just a shorthand for situational bonuses the game uses to avoid crushing you. Xcom people call it that because a) we're masochists so any help the game hands out feels wrong, and b) some of the same tricks were used in Xcom 1 in the form of hidden bonuses to dice rolls.

But it's all just balance decisions. It's cheating in the same way that the AI is "cheating" because it knows where you are at all times. They're computer games.

And on your original point, I don't think the game is too easy at all. I bet most of the people playing Impossible are getting wrecked pretty frequently. But see the point about being masochists. Personally, I think it's overall harder than Xcom 1 simply because there isn't an optimal tactical solution like there was in 1.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

idonotlikepeas posted:

Goonpool has now been updated with all the people I received or caught in the thread and was able to import up to this point.

Can we have this link be added to OP or something like that? Maybe with the latest update date too? That would be nice.

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Feb 6, 2016

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Jack Trades posted:

Can we have this link be added to OP or something like that?

Just did! Sorry for the delay, I actually went to work today.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Bleh, doing a LW playthrough before the XCOM2 release was a really dumb idea in hindsight. I find myself just getting annoyed with the game and a little bit bored. A really really REALLY dumb idea.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

ShadowMar posted:

i love the timers so far but the missions where the timer description says something along the lines of "turns remaining before you're forced to retreat" should probably not count down until you break concealment imo.

either that or change the description

Yeah that is one change I would make, it bugs me.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Man squadsight loving sucks now, I gotta get a mod to give my snipers SMGs

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Dongattack posted:

Bleh, doing a LW playthrough before the XCOM2 release was a really dumb idea in hindsight. I find myself just getting annoyed with the game and a little bit bored. A really really REALLY dumb idea.

It's only 200 missions. :downs:

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Dongattack posted:

LW is an awful trudge.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Dongattack posted:

Maybe stop doing that and play XCOM2 instead

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Grapplejack posted:

yeah I think that's going to be my first mod, eliminating the squadsight range penalties.

e: line 1688 of defaultgamecore.ini

still not sure how to properly publish .ini edits :C

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Grapplejack posted:

They just dont keep up with fast paced combat, I guess i should be leveling some as gunslinger.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Tenzarin posted:

They just dont keep up with fast paced combat, I guess i should be leveling some as gunslinger.

Killzone + expanded magazines

That is all.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
What is actually the mechanic whereby researches become instant? What triggers it?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I think these aliens might need some glasses.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Kenshin posted:

Killzone + expanded magazines

That is all.

Killzone dosent work when the rest of the team is like 3 dashes away. Even worse as they have to make it to evac points.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Tenzarin posted:

Killzone dosent work when the rest of the team is like 3 dashes away. Even worse as they have to make it to evac points.
Maybe don't just leave your snipers miles and miles away?

Jaroslav
Dec 31, 2007

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Tenzarin posted:

Get the spider suit and suddently your sniper is an insanely mobile platform of death

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

jBrereton posted:

So in a 8 turn mission, you can move your sniper 4 times and shoot 4 times?

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Tenzarin posted:

My snipers are doing fine early on, you just have to be extra aggressive with them early in a mission so that you don't waste turns moving them up. But they're good concealment breakers because that way you still have all your other troops close to the enemies and able to move/flank. Just getting lightning hands on a 'traditional' sniper gives them enough flexibility that my main sniper currently has the second most kills out of my soldiers behind only my ranger.

Tenzarin posted:

You dash them early on along with the rest of your team, once the fighting starts they stay about a dash away, if that. They do fine, it just takes more precise prep than the EU/EW snipers that you could just leave at the starting location because squadsight was OP as gently caress.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Fister Roboto posted:

So uh is the game supposed to be burning 5 gigs of ram, or is there a memory leak?

Anybody? Trying to figure out if this is just my system or a problem everybody is having.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

jBrereton posted:

Grapplejack posted:

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Tenzarin posted:

If you are leaving your sniper that far behind, try not doing that.

That said Lightning Hands is an amazing ability and I struggle to come up with any reason not to take it instead of the other ability even for a rifle-focused sharpshooter

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Fister Roboto posted:

Anybody? Trying to figure out if this is just my system or a problem everybody is having.

Performance problems are being reported pretty commonly, I didn't see anything specifically about RAM and mine never got up that far but I wouldn't count it out.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

If you want a way to make Snipers useful, use a unit that can remain concealed and have them scout alone. Your Snipers can attack pods/patrols freely as long as no unconcealed units are within line of sight of them and they won't even react, they just keep on patrolling. This is mostly helpful on missions where you don't have a time limit.

I've been speccing all of my snipers for pistols but I still get use out of the rifles between that and camping them in some high-elevation spots.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Tenzarin posted:

I cannot think of a mission where I have ever had every or even most of the members of my squad shoot on average more than half of their turns.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Fister Roboto posted:

I haven't checked to see if it's using a shitload of RAM yet, but XCOM2 has now caused my PC to BSOD three times now. I can play for 1-2 hours before it locks up and crashes the whole thing. It sucks, but the game is good enough that I'm not complaining.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

I don't know what you guys have been doing, my Sniper is amazing. But I'm the guy that leaves no alien in cover really, so they always have a good shot. Best thing is to just stack the bonuses. Get a scope, be on high ground and yeah, with Squadsight's penalty, you shouldn't be on the other side of the map, they should be keeping up with the squad, but when everyone else moves forward to engage the aliens you've just spotted, they should stay right where they are and get a really accurate shot off.

My Commander playthrough is going well, finally got third tier weapons and armour, so I'm back on the curve. Archon's are absolute dicks and should be the main priority to take out. Think I should take two Mimic Beacons on missions, cause Archons and Mutons love getting up close and out of cover to stab those things for 11 crit. Grenadier remains the best class by far, next to shotgun Ranger and my 98 aim Sniper. gently caress your cover aliens.

Also, to anyone struggling, just put the first blacksite off until you have mag weapons, some upgrades and that and maybe even second tier armour. Then you can figure out where the next blacksite is and take that out when the countdown gets low, there will be a small indicator telling you how many pips will be taken off when you complete the mission.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart
Is there a way to dodge the UFO hunting you and avoid Avenger defense? One second it's in other area entirely, the next Avenger is supposedly doing "evasive maneuvers", consisting of standing in place for 24 hours while UFO flies around the globe, then mission starts with completely bullshit number of aliens swarming all over.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Chief Engineer on a Navy ship before she turned 7 :downs:

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

stupidly thought when my "contacts" reached a limit of 3 it meant I couldn't keep doing the contact poo poo required for your first blacksite. so, I had waffled so much time away that the loving Avatar counter already reached 5 lol.

everyone on that blacksite mission proceeded to get killed except the one holding the vial, who sprinted past 2 overwatch guys right next to the evac point and made it out with 1 HP :xcom:

Now i have 4 loving red icon things on the bottom (low on power, soldiers, loving EVERYTHING) so I think I'll do myself a favor and mod in +2 soldiers for squads for now because I already made mistakes. The contacts poo poo was so loving vague that I really am not going to let that screw me over.

Also I get anywhere from like 30-50 FPS but then had like 19fps on the last mission. Even with poo poo turned down, this game sure is optimized poorly.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Waiting for the mod that makes sectoids use psionics by flexing.

Mister Adequate posted:

Chief Engineer on a Navy ship before she turned 7 :downs:

I'll have you know my anime sources say this is perfectly normal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

MinibarMatchman posted:

Also I get anywhere from like 30-50 FPS but then had like 19fps on the last mission. Even with poo poo turned down, this game sure is optimized poorly.

Everything about this game makes it feel like it was pulled out of the oven too soon.