Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Baal posted:

To make doing post game content a lot less meticulous or at least mitigating that as much as they can

By "there" I mean "in the post game". Let me do it before I've completed the game so I can see all the affinity stuff!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Safety Scissors posted:

I'm surprised how much of a focus people are putting on missions. The game is way better if you just focus on the planet and see what it has to offer. Look at it this way, "you're stuck on a different planet." There's no need to completely ignore that in favor of horrible anime tropes. The story would have been better if it turned out the Ganglion wanted to kill humans because animes are bad and ruin everything they touch. Then you would be like "Yeah, I can see that. They certainly made this game worse."

This works for a while but eventually you realize the planet has nothing to offer except pretty scenery and cool enemy models that are frequently recycled between zones. The only flavor or lore or content at all comes from missions which are varying degrees of terrible. Even the good sidequests are plagued with slow as hell stilted cutscenes and janky mission requirements where you have to run to this exact spot with these exact party members, which takes away a lot of the organic "you're out there exploring this world!" feeling.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

I believe the support missions were like the fashion gear in the Japanese version: You could unlock them through DLC if you bought it, otherwise they unlocked after the final mission. Which explains why there are all those low level missions that you'd otherwise have no reason to ever do because if you're tough enough to beat the last boss why would you need to grind level 10 missions?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Tender Bender posted:

This works for a while but eventually you realize the planet has nothing to offer except pretty scenery and cool enemy models that are frequently recycled between zones. The only flavor or lore or content at all comes from missions which are varying degrees of terrible. Even the good sidequests are plagued with slow as hell stilted cutscenes and janky mission requirements where you have to run to this exact spot with these exact party members, which takes away a lot of the organic "you're out there exploring this world!" feeling.
Even with that, this game felt like a better hiking simulator than a lot of the walking simulators out there just from smart map design and a good eye toward vistas. Side quests are necessarily anime melodrama so I can understand being a bit down on those even if its better anime melodrama than what's in the main story. But there's a ton of flavor and lore in the collectopedia and bestiary, its kind of staggering how much ecology and archaeology is stuffed in something that's entirely an appendix.

The_Final_Stand
Nov 2, 2013

So cute and cuddly
I'm at (final boss (?)) Vita, and he's kicking my rear end.

It invariably goes like this: I cut him down to half health on his first phase easily, maybe losing a teammate's Skell. His second phase goes about the same, until he throws up his shield at like 1/5 health left. I kill the shield drone, again, with ease, then he spawns more minions and TPKs me.

It's possible I'm not highly levelled enough? I'm at 44, Elma and Lin are at 42, and L is much lower down at 35.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

The_Final_Stand posted:

It invariably goes like this: I cut him down to half health on his first phase easily, maybe losing a teammate's Skell. His second phase goes about the same, until he throws up his shield at like 1/5 health left. I kill the shield drone, again, with ease, then he spawns more minions and TPKs me.

It's possible I'm not highly levelled enough? I'm at 44, Elma and Lin are at 42, and L is much lower down at 35.

The Time Attack version of the Vita fight requires you be at level 50 and doesn't let you go higher than level 55, so maybe consider getting to 50 at the very least. You can also get a level 50 Skell then and that'll make a world of difference.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Tender Bender posted:

Yea, it's a very wide planet but incredibly shallow. There really aren't even that many enemy models! Enemies shooting through walls and things also makes it feel a lot less "real" and it's never clear which places are only available for people who can fly. I eventually stopped exploring after getting frustrated trying to reach certain probes.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

The_Final_Stand posted:

Unfortunately for you that's not the final boss. There's an on foot final boss following the Vita battle, and it will turn your party into sludge at the levels you're at. Level up some more, and get a level 50 skell

Mea Tulpa
Sep 4, 2006

The_Final_Stand posted:

I was around lv 50 but it's probably possible at your level. Assuming your whole party has lv 30 skells, try getting a couple G-busters/Phoenixes from the Puges at Sylvalum's HIlal Fortress and then make a few Mechanoid Slayer XX augments for your main's skell. With one lv 50 skell those ended the fight quickly, and should still work fine in a lv 30.

The actual final boss has a fuel drain attack that will force you to go on foot if it hits. If you have a good infinite overdrive build with the Ghostwalker art you can wipe him out without much trouble.

Safety Scissors
Feb 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

The_Final_Stand posted:

My main char was level 50, and I had a 50 mech, but my Elma and Lin were probably 42 to 44 when I beat the game. I also used L and he was probably 39-41. Are your mechs equipped with beam sabers? That would be my number one recommendation. I didn't use a single augment, but if you build one or two mechanoid slayer XX that should make up for the difference of not having one level 50 mech. The key is to burst down the shield then the mech. Ignore the orbs. My first try, I lost at this part because I spent too much time killing them. You'll probably lose a mech or two, but it's not a big deal.

U-DO Burger posted:

Unfortunately for you that's not the final boss. There's an on foot final boss following the Vita battle, and it will turn your party into sludge at the levels you're at. Level up some more, and get a level 50 skell

I completely disagree, and I had no troubles here. The only thing that stuck out about this fight to me is that no one ever came close to dying. I'm surprised people are recommending any sort of builds for him, until this point I thought he was more of a placeholder to round out the story

Moxie
Aug 2, 2003

Safety Scissors posted:

I completely disagree, and I had no troubles here. The only thing that stuck out about this fight to me is that no one ever came close to dying. I'm surprised people are recommending any sort of builds for him, until this point I thought he was more of a placeholder to round out the story

He lasted longer than Xenoblade's final boss. Or maybe I just had to press more buttons. I'm not sure what level Shulk and Co were, but 100% Debuff Resist was pretty much an invitation to stop paying attention to any non-optional fight.

Mea Tulpa
Sep 4, 2006

If you were farming debuff resist gems in the original Xenoblade, you were probably way overleveled for the final boss.

Moxie
Aug 2, 2003

Fourth Wall posted:

If you were farming debuff resist gems in the original Xenoblade, you were probably way overleveled for the final boss.

Once those devilsaurs started going down, man I couldn't stop. Thanks Melia/Riki. I wasn't overleveled when I started :(

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

When I got the flight unit I just ended up farming Joker to get everyone to 60 in like 20 minutes, and I don't regret it.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
Phoenix and an E-scythe made those last (and most other) fights easy as hell.

The_Final_Stand
Nov 2, 2013

So cute and cuddly
gently caress.

Having just levelled up to 50, and brought a Verus, and equipped it with the best kit I can buy/have scavenged, the game proceeds to crash and throw me back some hours.

Why is there no autosave?! WHYYYYY!!!!!!

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
Is there a trick to getting the A-HAB autonomous AI unit collectible is Sylvalum? I can't find it anywhere near the two sites the wiki says they're located.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Louisgod posted:

Is there a trick to getting the A-HAB autonomous AI unit collectible is Sylvalum? I can't find it anywhere near the two sites the wiki says they're located.

It's the rarest item in both the zones it's found in, so just gotta be patient and keep trying.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
Well, it was a lot of work, but I can now murder Pharsis regularly. Now just to get the reflect augments and I can move on to trying to kill Telethia again.

Mea Tulpa
Sep 4, 2006

Louisgod posted:

Pretty sure I found it in Sylvalum waters to the west of the continent.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Louisgod posted:

It's very rare. I toodled up and down the stretch of ground east of the Delusian mountains by the coast, that had a good mix for me of pickups versus guys who would eat me. Other suggested areas involved too much dodging... is it Xe-doms?

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
Thanks y'all, I spent 30 minutes trying for it and gave up. God forbid Maurice just give me a few or something, that dick.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Louisgod posted:

Thanks y'all, I spent 30 minutes trying for it and gave up. God forbid Maurice just give me a few or something, that dick.

I drove around the sandsea for about an hour before I got it. There's a similar one in Noctilium that's just as annoying for Definian Downfall!

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Just fly around the ocean in the northeast of Sylvalum. Just make sure you stay in the Sylvalum waters, because the area is close to the boundary of the Cauldros waters.

Safety Scissors
Feb 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I finally made an infinite overdrive "build." Not really sure if two pieces of armor, a weapon, and an augment is a build, but the results are pretty good. I'm using a dual guns/knife executioner set up. This guy talks about it it at the end of this video, but it basically blows blossom dance out of the water.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bXu5GUVhRU

Because I don't have any damage and use a party, the major adjustment I made over him is using smooth recovery. That is a bonkers skill. It gives one overdrive counter per person healed, and it has an almost instant animation. If it reaches the next cooldown you can instantly use it again. You also extend overdrive when you use green skills and double the hits from the next art. Tonight I'll try using repair over a knife damage skill. It should make the infinite overdrive trivial and give me the ability to remove debuffs.

The other advantage is that you get full specs which is probably the best buff in the game. I made it through the entire story portion no problem as psycorruptor due to that skill and healing.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
I keep hearing about some horrific ice cream cake quest but I've yet to find it. Somewhere in Sylvalum near the lake? Is it gated behind a certain chapter or sidequest? I've just done Chapter 10.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

It's at a battle camp to the west of the Sylvalum lake, around all the jagged crystals sticking out of the ground and horse-enemies. It's called "Predator and Prey"

TurnipFritter fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Feb 9, 2016

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Aww yeah, Gradivus down. He isn't the tyrant of that segment hex like I thought, but still, he's dead.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

Ometeotl posted:

Aww yeah, Gradivus down. He isn't the tyrant of that segment hex like I thought, but still, he's dead.

Pretty sure the tyrant for that hex is either a thalus on a rock head pointed towards the sea, or an Orc Serv near the mountain that you need to wake up.

Also: TELL ME YOUR SECERETS! I have no idea how to take that guy down in any reasonable amount of time.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Yeah, I immediately looked up that tyrant and slaughtered it after it didn't proc upon killing Gradivus.

Anyway, my strategy was to pump my ground gear and Ares 90 with as much Evasion as I could, helped further by that one galactic knight skill. I think I was at 523 or so in total, so almost nothing actually hit me. I also added a Fuel Efficiency XX on my ground gear and loaded my Skells with as many Theroid Slayers as I could fit with augments to prevent Flinch, Blaze and Topple on others. Though, Flinch Resort of 100% only blocks the pausing it causes, not the loss of GP and I was still afflicted with Blaze even though my resistance should have been 100%, but whatever. Last but not least, I had an Aug that healed by Skell 20% when entering overdrive.

EDIT: if you want, I can snap a couple screenshots of the build when I get home tonight.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
Chapter 10's boss fight is monumentally stupid and the game's targeting system is hot trash.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
DOUBLE POST

So I just hit level 50 and have $11m in sweet NLA money burning in my pocket, what's the formula to build a hulking gently caress-off machine with minimal mind numbing grinding? Also keep in mind I have access to one super weapon and it's probably a piece of poo poo and something I don't have all the resources for.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Louisgod posted:

DOUBLE POST

So I just hit level 50 and have $11m in sweet NLA money burning in my pocket, what's the formula to build a hulking gently caress-off machine with minimal mind numbing grinding? Also keep in mind I have access to one super weapon and it's probably a piece of poo poo and something I don't have all the resources for.

Actually the Hexad Partican's pretty boss, even the freebie L30 version, it's just that the party AI never loving fire the thing.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

Louisgod posted:

DOUBLE POST

Do you like Guns? Take a Masterma and add guns. Recommended is to get a couple discbomb launchers with missile mag augs, which can often match the damage of your arts, obtained from Milsaadi Savages found near one of the first turns on the way up Mount M'gando. This will only take you a couple minutes probably. Its also a good base for the missile build of instantly destroying all the limbs on any enemy ever.

Do you like Melee? Amdusius, add Melee weapons liberally. Keep the Scythe or swap it for a G-Buster. Don't be like me and try to make it a gun user.

I think the armor they come with also boosts a single element each, so you may want to stick with that, or spend more to get new armor from the store which gives boosts to two elements.

In either case you should add a bunch of enemy exploit augs for whatever you want to fight, or just add some of each. Also recommended are as many position above augs as your frame can support. it only takes supple leather (IIRC) and can give you a 50% boost for each one in nearly any battle.

There, your quick guide to level 50 skells. The more advanced guide is mostly only for level 60s, and require a lot of work to make really awesome.

Hexad Partican is not amazing. It might do a lot of damage but it takes up four goddamn slots, not really worth it.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
NICE, thank you! Going the melee route and wanted to make sure dropping the $5m on Amdusius level 50 wasn't stupid.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

Louisgod posted:

NICE, thank you! Going the melee route and wanted to make sure dropping the $5m on Amdusius level 50 wasn't stupid.

Level 50 skells will do you until you hit level 60 and beat the game. The Excavator you get from Alexa's missions can be thought of as a level 55 skell more than a level 60 one. And all the level 60 ones don't cost money anyways, so all you have to spend it on now is Skells and possibly C&C armour for your teammates so you can get better/more loot.

Skell combat outside of the superbosses and grinding Zero for tickets really just boil down to adding more high numbers, its mostly just the postgame where you actually have to think about how to use your skell best.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ashsaber posted:

Do you like Guns? Take a Masterma and add guns. Recommended is to get a couple discbomb launchers with missile mag augs, which can often match the damage of your arts, obtained from Milsaadi Savages found near one of the first turns on the way up Mount M'gando. This will only take you a couple minutes probably. Its also a good base for the missile build of instantly destroying all the limbs on any enemy ever.

Do you like Melee? Amdusius, add Melee weapons liberally. Keep the Scythe or swap it for a G-Buster. Don't be like me and try to make it a gun user.

I think the armor they come with also boosts a single element each, so you may want to stick with that, or spend more to get new armor from the store which gives boosts to two elements.

In either case you should add a bunch of enemy exploit augs for whatever you want to fight, or just add some of each. Also recommended are as many position above augs as your frame can support. it only takes supple leather (IIRC) and can give you a 50% boost for each one in nearly any battle.

There, your quick guide to level 50 skells. The more advanced guide is mostly only for level 60s, and require a lot of work to make really awesome.

Hexad Partican is not amazing. It might do a lot of damage but it takes up four goddamn slots, not really worth it.

The Amdusia's Boost Element is Thermal. Stick an Interplanetary Phoenix on it and go nuts :unsmigghh:.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
Speaking of, I easily farmed a Phoenix and G2 from the Prones in Sylvalum, is there a trick to getting Intergalactic variants or is it luck?

E: Is the G2-Buster or G-Buster better? Regular G-Buster has more Force..

Louisgod fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Feb 10, 2016

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

Louisgod posted:

Speaking of, I easily farmed a Phoenix and G2 from the Prones in Sylvalum, is there a trick to getting Intergalactic variants or is it luck?

E: Is the G2-Buster or G-Buster better? Regular G-Buster has more Force..

Treasure sensor gear on your NPCs. The G2 Buster is an AOE in front what hits twice, so situationaly more useful than the G Buster.Great for wiping out hordes of enemies in front of you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ashsaber posted:

Treasure sensor gear on your NPCs. The G2 Buster is an AOE in front what hits twice, so situationaly more useful than the G Buster.Great for wiping out hordes of enemies in front of you.

G-Buster's better for big single targets though, because it's really good at inflicting Stagger.

• Locked thread