Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

The Duggler posted:

How have you guys liked Crashlands? I'm playing it but it's been tutorializing for a long time now and I'm losing interest

It's pretty enjoyable, but I've been playing mostly on Steam. I think I would crossplay more if I had a tablet. My finger seems to get in the way of seeing where I'm going even though I'm on a Note.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

Serious Frolicking posted:

as this thread has so amply demonstrated with the star trek discussion, we are completely the target audience.

I stopped playing because of the 25 character limit. I can't delete keiko and leave O'brien all alone : (

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

OxMan posted:

I stopped playing because of the 25 character limit. I can't delete keiko and leave O'brien all alone : (

True, he might be happy for half a second if Keiko was gone. That would likely cause reality to collapse.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

bunky posted:

It's pretty enjoyable, but I've been playing mostly on Steam. I think I would crossplay more if I had a tablet. My finger seems to get in the way of seeing where I'm going even though I'm on a Note.

Yeah, I used phone for low level mook farming, gathering materials and fishing mostly, it would become too hard/frustrating on challenge or insane.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

as this thread has so amply demonstrated with the star trek discussion, we are completely the target audience.

Is there a way to get around the daily spending limit? It's telling me I can't buy any more.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

OxMan posted:

I got up to 35 max somehow, I don't know. At some point after I bitched about the victory choice bug they not only gave me the other choice I wanted but I suddenly had like 1000 more dilithium and VIP 3. Maybe that increased the cap. I had even stopped logging in to get my daily dilithium from the monthly card.

It is still not a good game but at least I only spent surveybux on it.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Hey at least this thread wasn't full of people who sideloaded the game while it was still in limited release beta and immediately started dropping money like with Star Trek. I'm not sure if that means Avengers is better or worse than Trek though.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Len posted:

Hey at least this thread wasn't full of people who sideloaded the game while it was still in limited release beta and immediately started dropping money like with Star Trek. I'm not sure if that means Avengers is better or worse than Trek though.
It's better by default, this Trek is poop. There's not even an excuse for it because there are several other Trek games, even the Match 3 one would be better

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
Since dragon coins no longer exists, are there any other coin dozer games of note, I find that style of play super engaging/satisfying for some reason.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Does anyone know if Soda Dungeon supports any kind of backup/sync? Even just Helium would be sufficient.

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

The Duggler posted:

How have you guys liked Crashlands? I'm playing it but it's been tutorializing for a long time now and I'm losing interest

Uninstalled it a week ago, got really really boring and grindy.

EzEight
Jan 21, 2014
I expected an open and free experience. Instead the tutorial/ story locks and forces you to grind stuff to reach the next tier of gear.

5hrs in and I still haven't unlocked the stupid fishing rod.

Edit: Just get minecraft.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Knifegrab posted:

Since dragon coins no longer exists, are there any other coin dozer games of note, I find that style of play super engaging/satisfying for some reason.

None that I've found, sadly. I also found dropping coins strangely enjoyable. But they ruined that game for me when they started with the 'here is an unskippable video ad out of nowhere' BS. Sad, because I was perfectly fine with clicking on their 'watch this video to earn energy' or whatever similar mechanic they were using before. But yeah, they got greedy and dumb and ruined their own game, and then it faded into cancellation. Since then all the other coin dozer games I've seen appear to just be mindless score games without the external structure of collect-a-thon fantasy monster battling or anything else to give them meta-game context and replayability.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Final Fantasy 9 is now available. Regular price is $16.99 USD. It will be on sale for 20% off ($13.60 USD) from Feb. 10 through Feb. 21.

Kheldarn fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Feb 9, 2016

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
I get that these are huge games, but SqEnix charging that much for mobile games is still insane to me. I'd pay $5 for a mobile Final Fantasy or Chrono Trigger or something. $17 is way too high.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

So, I just used my remaining Google balance to buy GTA: Chinatown Wars. I LOVED this game on DS, but did I just make a horrible mistake? Going to be playing it on a Nexus 4.

EzEight
Jan 21, 2014
I see that they added 7 bonus features such as fast forward, infinite gil what else? Why couldn't they just tell us in the description.

I'm not dropping real life money to satisfy a goddamned curiosity.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Apparently, $17 is the normal price, and the sale price starts tomorrow. I've update my post to reflect that.

Also, after some quick browsing of Reddit, here's some info I came away with:

Screenshot of trying to impress the Nobels

An hour and a half stream of the game in German, iOS version
http://www.twitch.tv/domikron/v/42810359

Requires 4GB of installed space and 8GB of free space to download and install.

And someone said, "Yeah, judjing by the trailer, the battles are still 15 fps.".

Kheldarn fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Feb 9, 2016

Deep Winter
Mar 26, 2010

New Leaf posted:

I get that these are huge games, but SqEnix charging that much for mobile games is still insane to me. I'd pay $5 for a mobile Final Fantasy or Chrono Trigger or something. $17 is way too high.

On the other end, I think that "this game should be cheap because it's a phone game" is hilarious. People are playing mobile games more than console or pc, and you take a beloved console game, port it to mobile, add new features, and you want it to be $5. Ahahahhah.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Pretty sure you could find actual disks of these games for 10bux or less. I think that's how much they cost on PSN.

Deep Winter
Mar 26, 2010

twistedmentat posted:

Pretty sure you could find actual disks of these games for 10bux or less. I think that's how much they cost on PSN.

Absolutely correct! But now that new man hours were spent porting, optimizing, and adding new features, the price rises. This is basic economics.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Deep Winter posted:

Absolutely correct! But now that new man hours were spent porting, optimizing, and adding new features, the price rises. This is basic economics.

New features. In a FF mobile port. Nice one.

Paladinus fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Feb 9, 2016

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.
Considering people in this thread were dropping $50+ in bad game Star Trek Timelines it's a little strange to see complaining about an actual game that's a known quantity costing less than $20

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Geektox posted:

Considering people in this thread were dropping $50+ in bad game Star Trek Timelines it's a little strange to see complaining about an actual game that's a known quantity costing less than $20

Yeah, but people who put more than :tenbux: into freemium games are insane.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
I put $40 or so into Timelines because I had played the game already and wanted more. Granted, it isn't great, but I got a few weeks of play out of it. $17 for something that may suck rear end as a port is a much bigger gamble in my opinion.

Waynebo
May 18, 2004

Look at that subtle off-white coloring.
The tasteful thickness of it.
Oh my god. It even has a watermark.
let's get some things straight alright buddy star trek timelines is free but if you want to make progress you have to put in a few thousand dollars see it's different

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

New Leaf posted:

I put $40 or so into Timelines because I had played the game already and wanted more. Granted, it isn't great, but I got a few weeks of play out of it. $17 for something that may suck rear end as a port is a much bigger gamble in my opinion.

Look man, I'm not against paying for F2P games, I've dropped a buncha cash on PAD and Future Fight and Summoners War and Hearthstone and

But a bad port is something you can determine from reviews and you even have a refund option if it's too bad to handle. The game has been out for more than a decade and you know if the actual game play appeals to you or not. JRPGs aren't for everybody but saying buying one is a bigger gamble than what amounts to actual gambling for characters is insane.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Deep Winter posted:

man hours were spent porting, optimizing, and adding new features, the price rises. This is basic economics.

yes, squeenix spends oodles of time making sure their apps work well on android. lmao

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

Malek posted:

Uninstalled it a week ago, got really really boring and grindy.

I regret buying it, I like what its doing but not how its going about it

fluppet
Feb 10, 2009
So anyone else having google maps start asking the questions that usually come from rewards and not get any funbux?

Sjonkel
Jan 31, 2012
I've had more fun than I thought I would with SW: Galaxy of Heroes lately. So that made we wonder if there are other games out there I should try? Basically turn-based games with good production value, some competitiveness, and the possibility to have an ok progression without spending thousands of dollars.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
Summoners War. Has all that and unlike a lot of F2P games, you actually get more of the premium currency as you progress, instead of it dropping off like a rock and forcing you to pay if you want to keep having fun.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Is Summoners War still unusable on American cell service? I tried playing it a couple years ago, but the game would lag out and complain about my connection unless I was on wi-fi.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Lutha Mahtin posted:

Is Summoners War still unusable on American cell service? I tried playing it a couple years ago, but the game would lag out and complain about my connection unless I was on wi-fi.

It always worked fine for me, but I'm on Verizon.

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
Ys Chronicles II, a classic JRPG port that isn't Final Fantasy 9, has eased its way onto the Play Store.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

fluppet posted:

So anyone else having google maps start asking the questions that usually come from rewards and not get any funbux?

I have not but I rarely use Google Maps. Though it does make sense because the whole point of the questions from Rewards is to help improve their GPS tracking for stores and stuff for use in Google Maps and other apps like that.

Can you just decline to answer them on there?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Deep Winter posted:

On the other end, I think that "this game should be cheap because it's a phone game" is hilarious. People are playing mobile games more than console or pc, and you take a beloved console game, port it to mobile, add new features, and you want it to be $5. Ahahahhah.

lol, I have the loving discs to this game in my closet right now. I could just rip them and play it on epsxe and be well within my legal rights. why would I pay them $17 for it? Like $8, max, is what I'd pay for a port of a game that can be emulated with full performance from a rip of the discs I literally own.

And let's be honest, who's buying a port of a PSX FF game that doesn't already have the original sitting around somewhere to be ripped? I doubt anyone who's not nostalgic for it would be playing a decade-old squaresoft game instead of something new.

EzEight
Jan 21, 2014
What are the 7 boosters in FF9?

No encounter, should make Excalibur 2 runs available to everyone.

Infinite gil is great for beginners.

What are the remaining 5?

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

Those boosters sound horrible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...

Lutha Mahtin posted:

Never had that happen or heard of it. There was an issue where T-mobile refused to connect to the company for awhile which is why I quit a bit after launch but that was fixed a long time ago.