Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Golden Gate Bride
Oct 23, 2008
knife to meet you

Hob_Gadling posted:

Sure, but the choice was between paying it to the company via increased prices or paying it to the state via increased taxes.
Point is, the 30% increase in pricing goes a bit overboard which raises some doubt where the money is really going.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

throw to first DAMN IT
Apr 10, 2007
This whole thread has been raging at the people who don't want Saracen invasion to their homes

Perhaps you too should be more accepting of their cultures

Hob_Gadling posted:

Sure, but the choice was between paying it to the company via increased prices or paying it to the state via increased taxes. I know you won't be satisfied until your rectum is filled with taxes, so there's nothing to discuss about whether one of those would've been better than other.

Mulli posted:

Point is, the 30% increase in pricing goes a bit overboard which raises some doubt where the money is really going.

Assuming that the increase is honest, state could have easily absorbed the price increase temporarily and spread it over longer time, which would have been less awful for poor customers.

Also, if the company was operating honestly, is there any specific reason they couldn't have released a general plan about where that money is going? "We need xxx euros to cover infrastructure changes A, costing about yyy, and B, costing about zzz, which were mandated by the government" would have taken a lot of heat off them, as opposed to the "eat poo poo peasants" tactic they used.

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

Puistokemisti posted:

"eat poo poo peasants"

I think you mean "maan tapa"

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
The government is going to decide if they're going to allow grocery stores to sell alcohol after 9 PM in the coming weeks. So far the majority of parties is for it.

Just so you know, this is important news in Finland.

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme
That will never go through, the spirit of the prohibition is still too strong in the Finnish consciousness

vuohi
Nov 22, 2004

OhYeah posted:

Yeah that's complete horseshit, isn't it. The "efficiency" comes from screwing over the workers, the environment and pretty much anyone else who isn't a shareholder. I don't give a flying gently caress what some fat corporate rear end in a top hat is making or if his shares just went up by 10%. I do care if our planet will be still here in 20 years time. All essential utilities and transport sector companies should be owned by the public sector. gently caress the profit motive if it comes at the expense of other workers and the environment.

Once again, a great "can't tell if serious or not" moment in the thread timeline.

OhYeah
Jan 20, 2007

1. Currently the most prevalent form of decision-making in the western world

2. While you are correct in saying that the society owns

3. You have not for a second demonstrated here why

4. I love the way that you equate "state" with "bureaucracy". Is that how you really feel about the state

vuohi posted:

Once again, a great "can't tell if serious or not" moment in the thread timeline.

To be honest, I have little hope either way. When our capital's water company got privatized, we got huge price hikes and no increase in quality. They made profits with absolutely insane margins.

Then again, our main energy company is owned by the state and they are loving terrible at making business decisions. Every investment project they've engaged in has ended up being a gently caress-up of massive proportions. I'm talking about hundreds of millions lost with NOTHING to show for it.

As a rule though, I really believe that all essential fields like utilities and transport should be if not owned by the state, then completely controlled by the state. The devil you know, or the devil who has accountability, rather...

vuohi
Nov 22, 2004
That's a little more reasonable for a fellow pessimist and cynic, if you don't define "utilities" very broadly. Speaking of transport, there was discussion just days ago about the situation that the state has driven our railroads into.

The track record for environmentalist issues, which you mentioned, is all around terrible in every single system of ownership until the 70s. Finland used to dump untreated waste water from paper mills straight into rivers, USSR destroyed the Aral sea and much more, and you still can't breathe Chinese air every day if you have lung problems. It is in no way unique for private ownership to treat the environment irresponsibly.

I can agree to not trusting corporations, but it baffles me when people blindly trust the state.

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

vuohi posted:

I can agree to not trusting corporations, but it baffles me when people blindly trust the state.

I sort of agree, but there's a huge difference between the West and the rest of the world. As much as we like to make fun of The Stubb and Incest-Sipilä and the rest of the bunch in this thread, on a global scale Finland is doing extremely well. I mean, it doesn't make everything that's happening in Finland any better, but it extends the graph so that we're pretty much in the top.

throw to first DAMN IT
Apr 10, 2007
This whole thread has been raging at the people who don't want Saracen invasion to their homes

Perhaps you too should be more accepting of their cultures

So Jussi "Hitler"aho is FOR globalization and open borders???

vuohi
Nov 22, 2004

Darkest Auer posted:

I sort of agree, but there's a huge difference between the West and the rest of the world. As much as we like to make fun of The Stubb and Incest-Sipilä and the rest of the bunch in this thread, on a global scale Finland is doing extremely well. I mean, it doesn't make everything that's happening in Finland any better, but it extends the graph so that we're pretty much in the top.

Of course, no disagreements there. I'd go as far as to say that the exact same mechanisms (a functioning civil society, a widespread sense of civic duty, and established methods of voicing grievances) are keeping both our state and our businesses in generally acceptable levels of behaviour. It can be pretty funny when these systems fail, which they sometimes do for various reasons, simple rational ignorance by a majority being my favourite explanation for a lot of things.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
The problem with TTIP is that it gives corporations the power to sue states if they pass laws that are inconvenient. Overall passing it still might be better than not passing it.

It's really funny how Hallo-Aho, who rose into power off the back of his blog, is recommending people don't read "verkkomedia".

vuohi
Nov 22, 2004

doverhog posted:

It's really funny how Hallo-Aho, who rose into power off the back of his blog, is recommending people don't read "verkkomedia".
He doesn't mean "verkkomedia", he means "Verkkomedia", a proper noun. It is/was a site that publishes hard-hitting journalism about chemtrails, vaccinations and anti-Russian plots.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
Ok that makes more sense.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE

vuohi posted:

He doesn't mean "verkkomedia", he means "Verkkomedia", a proper noun. It is/was a site that publishes hard-hitting journalism about chemtrails, vaccinations and anti-Russian plots.

He should have used quotes, or differentiated it more from a common word. What would his language teacher say?

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

doverhog posted:

The problem with TTIP is that it gives corporations the power to sue states if they pass laws that are inconvenient.

"Sue" as in hire a person to make a legally binding decision that's completely out of the normal legal system, and the person hired will not get hired again if they decide against the corporation. It's completely hosed up.

Fushigi Yuugi fansub
Jan 20, 2007

BUTT STUFF

doverhog posted:

The problem with TTIP is that it gives corporations the power to sue states if they pass laws that are inconvenient. Overall passing it still might be better than not passing it.

state doesnt have to care though if somebody sues them. why are african countries and russia for example viewed as risky investments? because they may nationalize private property if that seems like a good thing to do that day and corporations are pretty powerless to do anything about it. okay it's a bit more complicated than that and a slippery slope but the point is state has the monopoly on violence so unless corporations start recruiting their own armies the state can wipe its rear end on any corporation. in principle

Fushigi Yuugi fansub fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Feb 6, 2016

Fish of hemp
Apr 1, 2011

A friendly little mouse!
I mean god drat

http://www.mtv.fi/uutiset/kotimaa/artikkeli/sahkoverkot-ostaneen-mainosvideo-hankimme-monopoleja-ja-nostamme-hintaa/5723276

quote:

Suomen suurimman sähkönjakelijan Carunan toinen pääomistaja on australialainen sijoitusyhtiö First State Investments.

Yhtiön verkkosivuilta löytyvällä mainosvideolla infrastruktuurisijoittamisesta vastaava Peter Meany kertoo luonnollisessa monopoliasemassa oleviin sähköverkkoihin sijoittamisen olevan turvallista, sillä kilpailua ei ole.

– Mietitäänpä vaikkapa koko maan kattavaa sähköverkkoa. Rinnakkaista verkkoa ei koskaan tule, hän lupaa.

Meany lupaa sijoituksille tulevaisuudessa varmaa tuottoa.

– Infrastruktuurin omistaminen mahdollistaa palvelun hinnan nostamisen ajan mittaan.

Company advertises itself to investors that they will buy infrastructure, jack prices up and make killing profits.

Like what the gently caress? How much more blatantly evil can you get? Do they serve meatballs made out of baby seal at company meetings or something?

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE

Fish of hemp posted:

I mean god drat

http://www.mtv.fi/uutiset/kotimaa/artikkeli/sahkoverkot-ostaneen-mainosvideo-hankimme-monopoleja-ja-nostamme-hintaa/5723276

Company advertises itself to investors that they will buy infrastructure, jack prices up and make killing profits.

Like what the gently caress? How much more blatantly evil can you get? Do they serve meatballs made out of baby seal at company meetings or something?

It seems to be a trend nowadays - at least in the Anglo-american sphere - to hire or fund assholes in business, especially in disruptive businesses. (Good example of this: Uber.) I half-expect some kind of global French revolution to happen at some point.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Rexroom posted:

It seems to be a trend nowadays - at least in the Anglo-american sphere - to hire or fund assholes in business, especially in disruptive businesses. (Good example of this: Uber.) I half-expect some kind of global French revolution to happen at some point.

dont hold your breath

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
That's what they'll tell the rich before showing their heads under the surface.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
benis :-DDDDDD

OhYeah
Jan 20, 2007

1. Currently the most prevalent form of decision-making in the western world

2. While you are correct in saying that the society owns

3. You have not for a second demonstrated here why

4. I love the way that you equate "state" with "bureaucracy". Is that how you really feel about the state

vuohi posted:

That's a little more reasonable for a fellow pessimist and cynic, if you don't define "utilities" very broadly. Speaking of transport, there was discussion just days ago about the situation that the state has driven our railroads into.

Speaking of privatisation of rail transport...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2958951/Rail-privatisation-disaster-public-sector-start-running-trains-soon-Labour-reveals.html
http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/aug/22/privatising-railways-disaster-renationalise-labour

When Daily Mail and The Guardian agree on something, you know you done hosed up, son.

Fish of hemp posted:

At one point the Tallinn water company made some crazy profit margin, like 50% of the revenue was profit or something to that regard. I mean the water is safe but it tastes pretty bad, even after all the "investments". Just capitalism.txt.

Geriatric Pirate
Apr 25, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Fish of hemp posted:

I mean god drat

Jesus christ do you guys ever stop :qq:ing about the smallest things? In Finland the maximum profit on the sector is regulated by the government. The same government you want to run the whole thing.

Just FYI, UK rail passenger numbers somehow managed to fall during the 40 year period of government ownership and were still falling until privatization. The UK now has the most rail passengers it has ever had (well above the pre-nationalization peak) and probably the highest rail traffic density in the EU. Oh yeah, and the government isn't bleeding money but selling operating rights for quite a lot.

Nauta posted:

state doesnt have to care though if somebody sues them. why are african countries and russia for example viewed as risky investments? because they may nationalize private property if that seems like a good thing to do that day and corporations are pretty powerless to do anything about it. okay it's a bit more complicated than that and a slippery slope but the point is state has the monopoly on violence so unless corporations start recruiting their own armies the state can wipe its rear end on any corporation. in principle
The punishments are similar to the WTO. The (most extreme) punishment for breaking the rules of the WTO is to be kicked out of the WTO.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE
Like clockwork. You trying to aim for the PR department?

vuohi
Nov 22, 2004
Whatever happened in Britain doesn't change the fact that every single person that I know, who uses and cares about public transport in Finland, praises Onnibus and the real competition that it introduced to the heavily regulated and costly market of long distance public transportation.

It is just absurd that even when 70% of the price of gas in Finland is taxes, it still makes more sense to make a 200-400km trip by car if you have one than to take a train. If there are two people in the car you actually save a lot of money by driving. It is insane that a train from Helsinki to Rovaniemi costs more than the same trip done with a plane.

If you care about public transport, and you pay for your own tickets, you have got to admit that VR is absolutely terrible. The carriages are very nice though.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

vuohi posted:

Whatever happened in Britain doesn't change the fact that every single person that I know, who uses and cares about public transport in Finland, praises Onnibus and the real competition that it introduced to the heavily regulated and costly market of long distance public transportation.

Onnibussi is great, when you only need to travel between bigger cities. If you need to go to perähikiä or more importantly out of there, you're screwed in onni-Finland.

They're basically kermankuorijoita in the necessary public service sector.

vuohi
Nov 22, 2004

adhuin posted:

Onnibussi is great, when you only need to travel between bigger cities. If you need to go to perähikiä or more importantly out of there, you're screwed in onni-Finland.

If you want to subsidize public transport, and often you do, you should do it through taxes and not cross subsidization. The current price system for train/bus tickets is not an acceptable trade-off for having good railway/route network coverage. Public transportation as a whole suffers from it, and car traffic "wins", if anyone does.

Also it is not "skimming" if you actually pass the savings to the consumer.

vuohi fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Feb 7, 2016

vuohi
Nov 22, 2004
Completely unrelated, I checked hs.fi after having been away from home for most of the day, and I am considering that someone may have spiked my food with LSD or something.

Please confirm/disprove my possible delusions. Has someone actually written a whole essay, on the most important daily paper in the country, about something that Susanna Kaukinen said?

http://www.hs.fi/kulttuuri/a1454653716986

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

I dance to the sweet tune of your failure so I'm never gonna stop fucking with you.

Continue to get confused and frustrated with me as I dance to your anger.

As I expect nothing more from ya you stupid runt!

Scottish person here saying that Privatization of the railways was the most stupidest thing to ever happen to our railways. Scotsrail is kind of a different mess but the rest of the UK's railway is basically privatised (And soon the UK will be privatised too)

And here's a thread for all the poo poo why.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3483456

Geriatric Pirate
Apr 25, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rexroom posted:

Like clockwork. You trying to aim for the PR department?

You guys seem pretty fixated on getting at least one angle at this thing where you crying would actually have some merit.

Tax dodging, increasing prices, not investing enough, investing too much, not caring about the environment etc.

But I realized I forgot this post:

Darkest Auer posted:

Out of all the neolib 101 talking points, this is the most retarded. No, when a foreign tax-avoiding corporation buys a national asset, they don't include 60 years of lost-to-the-goverment tax income in the deal.
Yeah, you're right. When doing a 2.55 billion Euro deal on an asset with stable cash flows with no pressure to sell, Fortum and it's advisers were clearly not able to do basic investment valuations and somehow forgot to factor in the tax status of buyers in their asking price. The advisers, who probably netted >e25m on the transaction, forgot to run a competitive process. God drat neolib 101 talking points. Dumb neoliberals don't realize companies are all greedy and in collusion with each other, except for Fortum???????

quote:

30% price increase to something you can't do without is not meaningless. Are you one of those people who have no idea what a carton of milk costs because you have your butlers and servants do all of the shopping for you?
The maximum reported increase in prices (28%) would be the equivalent of 2/3 downtown beers for me. Maybe spend your money on your electricity bill instead of your SA forums avatar next time.

adhuin posted:

Even if we ignore whether we really need regular bus service or trains to the middle of nowhere and vuohi's valid argument that you could just pay buses to stop there instead of forcing them, I refuse to believe that the only reason Onnibus was able to completely shake up transport in Finland was because they decided to stop stopping in the middle of nowhere. They took down prices on every route, they seriously hit the train service, they improved service with WiFi etc.. My guess is that the reasons for their success are a lot more based on how they're not part of the existing "cartel" that divides up routes and kills competition rather than anything else. You introduce one efficient player into a market that's basically been unchanged for ages... The "they're not doing their public service obligation by stopping everywhere" sounds like propaganda from the bus companies and VR who were doing everything wrong but had monopoly power.

Geriatric Pirate fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Feb 7, 2016

Geriatric Pirate
Apr 25, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Extreme0 posted:

Scottish person here saying that Privatization of the railways was the most stupidest thing to ever happen to our railways. Scotsrail is kind of a different mess but the rest of the UK's railway is basically privatised (And soon the UK will be privatised too)

And here's a thread for all the poo poo why.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3483456

It's funny how the communist train guy managed to write an entire essay about how bad privatization is and how prices have risen without ever mentioning passenger numbers (I don't have search for later in the thread though) or that he talks about the only time under government ownership when passenger numbers actually rose as a time when "railways were being strangled by the government".

Well, whatever the case, I'll have to back out of the UK discussion and just stick to the consensus on privatization in general (it makes companies better almost universally, obviously some industries need regulation) instead of this case.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

vuohi posted:

Completely unrelated, I checked hs.fi after having been away from home for most of the day, and I am considering that someone may have spiked my food with LSD or something.

Please confirm/disprove my possible delusions. Has someone actually written a whole essay, on the most important daily paper in the country, about something that Susanna Kaukinen said?

oliko tämä se täti kun pukeutui ikl paitaan

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

Geriatric Pirate posted:

Dumb neoliberals don't realize companies are all greedy and in collusion with each other

Finally we can agree on something.

Geriatric Pirate posted:

Even if we ignore whether we really need regular bus service or trains to the middle of nowhere

Yeah, gently caress those people living outside of kehä 1, they don't deserve public transportation!

Fushigi Yuugi fansub
Jan 20, 2007

BUTT STUFF

Geriatric Pirate posted:

Well, whatever the case, I'll have to back out of the UK discussion and just stick to the consensus on privatization in general (it makes companies better almost universally, obviously some industries need regulation) instead of this case.

lol

vuohi posted:

Fish of hemp
Apr 1, 2011

A friendly little mouse!

Geriatric Pirate posted:

Jesus christ do you guys ever stop :qq:ing about the smallest things?

What did the meatballs taste like?

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Hogge Wild posted:

oliko tämä se täti kun pukeutui ikl paitaan

En tiiä puhutaanko samasta asiasta, mutta Susanna Kaukinen on entinen anarkisti-kommunisti joka viime syksynä keksi kääntyä natsiksi, ja rupesi sitten organiseeraamaan rajat kiinni uunit auki - mielenosoituksia. Susanna Koski, kokoomuksen tämänhetkinen kansanedustaja, kohautti joskus 2013 pukeutumalla Lapuan Liikkeen paitaan.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Rappaport posted:

En tiiä puhutaanko samasta asiasta, mutta Susanna Kaukinen on entinen anarkisti-kommunisti joka viime syksynä keksi kääntyä natsiksi, ja rupesi sitten organiseeraamaan rajat kiinni uunit auki - mielenosoituksia. Susanna Koski, kokoomuksen tämänhetkinen kansanedustaja, kohautti joskus 2013 pukeutumalla Lapuan Liikkeen paitaan.

ok, tästä kaukisesta en ollut kuullutkaan ennen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vuohi
Nov 22, 2004
Susanna Kaukinen on eräänlainen Jouko Piho.