Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

Laserface posted:

Why does it cost the community anything at all?

Emergency services aren't provided for free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

"I'm an archivist. I'm archiving."
I think this is a good idea if they can make a life jacket that is easy to wear, doesn't limit movement and doesn't look stupid. Rock fishing is one of the most dangerous hobbies anyone can have. 7 deaths a year from maybe 10,000? people who rock fish a year in NSW is ridiculously high.

Edit: Especially if they add pockets etc and make it look like a fishing jacket.

Freudian Slip fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Feb 7, 2016

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe

Laserface posted:

Why does it cost the community anything at all?
Well, at a guess, it is because we have to do a search and rescue operation to recover them if they get washed away. This is hugely expensive.

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth
Please Mr Government Man protect me from myself.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Periphery posted:

Emergency services aren't provided for free.

Why isnt the rescue costs transferred to the victim? thats how they handle out of bounds skiing in Japan and it seems to keep the noobs in check.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

Couldn't we just get DIBP to handle it so it just gets thrown in the 'on water matters' black hole and everyone goes back to happy again?

GrandTheftAutism
Dec 24, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Regarding sanctuary for asylum seekers: I've caught wind of the possibility that the Salvation Army will the doing the same thing in the near future. There'll probably be press releases somewhere but I can't be arsed to google them.

Regarding Centrelink Gestapo: This may shock you, but I think it's actually a good thing. The more people who rort welfare, there less there will be in the welfare kitty for people who genuinely need it: eg. me and some of my local friends. As long as they're not actually doing over-the-top poo poo like taking itemized inventory of our possessions (like that stupid loving right-wing Facebook meme keeps going on about), those who are not declaring income or change of circumstances deserve to be looking over their bloody shoulders because they're selfish pricks.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
maybe getting more gestapo to look at, idk, Apple would be more cost effective than the gestapo interrogating gerhard bloggs

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

Laserface posted:

Why isnt the rescue costs transferred to the victim? thats how they handle out of bounds skiing in Japan and it seems to keep the noobs in check.

It's probably not worth the effort or cost associated with collecting the money or the long term costs of negative societal impacts of dumping a 400k+ cost on someone if they can't easily afford it. A user pays system for emergency services is a loving stupid idea.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

I do a bit of rock fishing and I think making life jackets mandatory misses the point a bit. If the conditions are such that a lifejacket will save your life no one should be on the ledge in the first place. The real issue is a lack of education, a lot of people don't check the wind, tide, swell, and don't think about sensible clothing like board shorts and rock boots. On a hot day no one is going to wear a PFD anyway, plus they're cumbersome and get in the way. Most rock fishing deaths are from Asian communities and their poor English has been cited as a reason they miss out on a lot of the safety messages.

If the conditions don't look like this we turn around and either find somewhere else to fish or go home. This is Wilson's Prom with .4m of swell, outgoing tide and an offshore wind.

Divorced And Curious
Jan 23, 2009

democracy depends on sausage sizzles

ScreamingLlama posted:

Regarding Centrelink Gestapo: This may shock you, but I think it's actually a good thing. The more people who rort welfare, there less there will be in the welfare kitty for people who genuinely need it: eg. me and some of my local friends. As long as they're not actually doing over-the-top poo poo like taking itemized inventory of our possessions (like that stupid loving right-wing Facebook meme keeps going on about), those who are not declaring income or change of circumstances deserve to be looking over their bloody shoulders because they're selfish pricks.

no wonder the democrats died

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

https://www.broadsheet.com.au/sydney/food-and-drink/article/nsw-police-questions-venue-over-wine-list

quote:

Last night Giovanni Paradiso, co-owner of Sydney institutions Fratelli Paradiso and 10 William Street posted a photo on Instagram. It was an image of 10 William Street’s chalkboard wine list, with the caption, “So according to NSW POLICE FORCE our blackboard with what we are pouring by the glass is promoting unsavoury behaviour. SYDNEY WHAT THE gently caress IS HAPPENING.”

This morning, we spoke to 10 William's co-owner, Marco Ambrosino, about what unfolded before the Instagram post last night. “The Rugby Sevens were on and there was a lot of activity in the area. Thousands of people were walking around on the streets and the police were out visiting all the pubs," he explained. "They spent quite some time in the pub next to us, so to show fairness, they popped into the business next to the pub [our restaurant]."

The owners were in the venue last night while the police spoke with 10 Williams' manager on duty outside. While he didn't speak directly with police, Ambrosino says they told 10 Williams' manager there were two concerns: a sign saying “free wine”, which the manager explained was a cheeky refererence to wine without added substances (that is, natural wine), which the restaurant is known for serving.

The second concern was that the blackboard listing wines by the glass was too close to the front of the restaurant, which police explained could be seen to promote heavy drinking, without making clear it was a venue that served food.

“We are a wine bar, so we put our wines by the glass at the front, and hand people a menu when they sit down. We’ve had it like this for six years," Ambrosino told us.

“There’s an undercurrent of disappointment amongst venue owners. There seems to be a real confusion of drinking and dining [and] when you can trade. We’re very, very frustrated. None of us have had any trouble. The police are painting us all with one brush,” says Ambrosino.

GrandTheftAutism
Dec 24, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Birdstrike posted:

maybe getting more gestapo to look at, idk, Apple would be more cost effective than the gestapo interrogating gerhard bloggs

Let's be realistic here, that's never going to happen with the current mob in charge.

SeekOtherCandidate posted:

no wonder the democrats died

ITT people who think welfare rorting and minor party deregistration are in any way related

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Birdstrike posted:

I wonder how quickly this is gonna peter out and disappear into political esoterica once they find out that most of the money that disappears into this is going to Liberal voter demographics.

Like how the Howard government went to great expense to figure out who was scamming welfare, and then quietly dropped it once they found out it was mostly pensioners.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Cleretic posted:

I wonder how quickly this is gonna peter out and disappear into political esoterica once they find out that most of the money that disappears into this is going to Liberal voter demographics.

Like how the Howard government went to great expense to figure out who was scamming welfare, and then quietly dropped it once they found out it was mostly pensioners.

I'm sure they already know how much money is being scammed from centerlink and the kinds of people who are doing it. having private investigators monitoring social media is probably just political theater for angry middle class bogans.

GrandTheftAutism
Dec 24, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
On a side note, I'm OK with Pavel as long as you cut down on the crossdressing shots. Crossdressing is only good when it's convincing IMO.

Perhaps those who don't appreciate Pavel would like some Alexander Skarsgård instead?

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM

ScreamingLlama posted:

Let's be realistic here, that's never going to happen with the current mob in charge.

ITT people who think welfare rorting and minor party deregistration are in any way related

You realise they do this all the time right? Make noise about welfare cheats, make it harder for people to get anywhere and then ignore the report that says old age pensioners are the one doing the rorting because it's about loving over poor people and not about saving money.

If you're happy to go through with this sort of thing though I hope the next round of justifications to gently caress over people who can't afford anything else gets your DSP stripped away from you so this become an accurate portrayal of your life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46Kv4rBJi68

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Once again I remind people that outsourcing enforcement (even at the investigation phase)is a terrible idea in principle. There are privacy concerns, tout law concerns and ultimately people sworn to uphold the law are allowed and encouraged to use discretion at the coal face. If you are being paid for piece work then you have a vested interest in keeping the numbers up. Bailiffs and sheriffs have historically come into regular confrontations with police due to them (Bailiffs) over reaching their allowed authority and it continues to this day. Extending the scope of these stupidities isn't progress.

Even if it was all covered by the right of access to due process via the courts (which it generally isn't) the power disparity between a firm of hired thugs and an individual is too large. gently caress all of this in principle and shame on the government for introducing under the banner of reducing Welfare Fraud.

And a quick reminder of why the ATO doesn't go after multinationals evading millions. The multinationals are prepared to spend at least what they owe in taxes on hiring lawyers and accountants to enable their evasion. To attempt to match this is obviously not a viable strategy for the ATO especially as all the associated costs to the business are a tax deduction. Better to go after a couple of million people over claiming on Monte Carlos.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

ScreamingLlama posted:

On a side note, I'm OK with Pavel as long as you cut down on the crossdressing shots. Crossdressing is only good when it's convincing IMO.

Perhaps those who don't appreciate Pavel would like some Alexander Skarsgård instead?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7RI3M4e6lQ

GrandTheftAutism
Dec 24, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Birb Katter posted:

You realise they do this all the time right? Make noise about welfare cheats, make it harder for people to get anywhere and then ignore the report that says old age pensioners are the one doing the rorting because it's about loving over poor people and not about saving money.

If you're happy to go through with this sort of thing though I hope the next round of justifications to gently caress over people who can't afford anything else gets your DSP stripped away from you so this become an accurate portrayal of your life.

If it was mostly old and disabled people doing the rorting, you'd have a point. But most of the fraud this time around is being done by Newstart recipients.

Besides, I already HAD my DSP denied once, that's why I had to appeal to the AAT, you dumb gently caress. No, the government shouldn't be tightening DSP eligibility, but that's not the point I'm making here; my point is actual fraud to the tune of billions is still going on, it's not just right-wing noise. (I'm not saying they found the best way to go about combating the fraud, either, but I'd like to see you do better.)

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.

ScreamingLlama posted:

If it was mostly old and disabled people doing the rorting, you'd have a point. But most of the fraud this time around is being done by Newstart recipients.

Besides, I already HAD my DSP denied once, that's why I had to appeal to the AAT, you dumb gently caress. No, the government shouldn't be tightening DSP eligibility, but that's not the point I'm making here; my point is actual fraud to the tune of billions is still going on, it's not just right-wing noise. (I'm not saying they found the best way to go about combating the fraud, either, but I'd like to see you do better.)

That is a beautiful collection of anecdotes

sick of Applebees
Nov 7, 2008
*extremely ScreamingLlama voice*
Hi, I'm a Democrat, but I fall right in line when the Liberals say that welfare cheats are around - this is why we can't get back off the ground as a party.
Also I know this talk finished like two days ago, but I have to point out that I think that cross dressing is gross and hideous, unless the person actually hides anything that could mess with my perception of gender!

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM

ScreamingLlama posted:

So you found 3 Murdoch press articles with a single person trumped up as a welfare cheat and one smh article who are amazingly regressive on issues like this as your proof what I said was a lie? This sort of stupidity is why you got knocked back for DSP because it's not about saving money it's about loving you over. You think they wouldn't be shouting report results from the loving rooftops if there was any truth to this whole welfare cheat thing.

And so what if some guy got 12k extra on his dole over a 39 fortnights? Simply removing negative gearing from income not earned for rent of a property would get us more money from Turnbull each year than would get from hundreds of these guys.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM

Ket posted:

Hi, I'm a Democrat, but I fall right in line when the Liberals say that welfare cheats are around - this is why we can't get back off the ground as a party.
Also I know this talk finished like two days ago, but I have to point out that I think that cross dressing is gross and hideous, unless the person actually hides anything that could mess with my perception of gender!

starkebn posted:

More Pavel please

:nws: http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-Xnmz_3mhA-w/UGgS257P6sI/AAAAAAABlUM/UQ5cad8L-nk/s1600/brutos80059_PavelPetel.jpg :nws:

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.
The whole "dole bludgers" beatup is a tactic specifically designed to keep young lower-class people fighting against each other instead of directing their anger at the systemic imbalances and inequalities that make it necessary for people to defraud the welfare system.

hth.

asio
Nov 29, 2008

"Also Sprach Arnold Jacobs: A Developmental Guide for Brass Wind Musicians" refers to the mullet as an important tool for professional cornet playing and box smashing black and blood

ScreamingLlama posted:

Please stop trying to get into politics

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM

Mithranderp posted:

The whole "dole bludgers" beatup is a tactic specifically designed to keep young lower-class people fighting against each other instead of directing their anger at the systemic imbalances and inequalities that make it necessary for people to defraud the welfare system.

hth.

Right on. It sells papers too so people who sell papers have a strong incentive for this ride to never stop.

In addition to this the other little theme going on in here of someone needing to 'pass' some arbitrary bar before it's OK to not conform to your idea gender norms is actually really hosed up.

:nws: http://i.imgur.com/r2PyBgH.jpg :nws:

Divorced And Curious
Jan 23, 2009

democracy depends on sausage sizzles

ScreamingLlama posted:

why don't you attempt to revive a dead political party about it

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

ScreamingLlama posted:

Those handful of newstart frauds is the motivation behind the government tightening DSP eligibility and denying yours, hth.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
SL, I hope you understand when you complain about welfare cheats while you also complain about trouble getting the DSP puts you in about the same basket as this guy. What you're saying is 'sure I deserve it but gently caress those other people'.

:nws: https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/f9/53/87/f953874eb5531d087db5277685ee9f0d.jpg :nws:

fake edit: I would like to see the dems get back on the ballot just to see how hard they tank. That would be kind of fun.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Think you might be overdoing that comparison there a tad.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM

Zenithe posted:

Think you might be overdoing that comparison there a tad.

Different sides of the same basket but still there none the less. It's someone who has a fygm attitude to welfare and society, just one is more amusing than the other.

:nws: https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/50/5a/f9/505af9eeccc4256e123ad2a33a10bba7.jpg :nws:

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

So all selfish people are now in the same basket as militant sovereign citizens.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM

Zenithe posted:

So all selfish people are now in the same basket as militant sovereign citizens.

Birb Katter posted:

Different sides of the same basket but still there none the less. It's someone who has a fygm attitude to welfare and society, just one is more amusing than the other.

:nws: https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/50/5a/f9/505af9eeccc4256e123ad2a33a10bba7.jpg :nws:

Someone sitting at home complaining about their welfare issues while taking the side of the people who want to cut their welfare off is a pretty short bow to draw.

Lets move off Pavel and have some Buck Angel for a bit

:nws: http://i.imgur.com/jPwZSts.jpg :nws:

Ket, I'd like to know if Buck passes well enough as a man or the fact that he still has a vagina means that it's not right?

Birb Katter fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Feb 7, 2016

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Birb Katter posted:

Someone sitting at home complaining about their welfare issues while taking the side of the people who want to cut their welfare off is a pretty short bow to draw.

Hypocritical dick move yes, comparable to supporting violent anti government militia, not really.

Tassies premier has come out saying they will take in refugees too

https://twitter.com/WillHodgman/status/696186534874054657

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I'm proud of you, Bender. Sure, you lost. You lost bad. But the important thing is I beat up someone who hurt my feelings in high school.

ScreamingLlama posted:

I'm not going to complain about Alexander Skarsgard pics, but you know he's cross dressed on the red carpet before, right?

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM

Ket posted:

As just got pointed out to me elsewhere these are not two separate statements so feel free to just replace Ket with Llama when I yell at you about it.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
So largely unrelated to all of this, but I figure you guys might have useful opinions. I'm moving to Melbourne for a job, and as such I've been looking at apartments in the area. The job's in Southbank, so I'm looking there and the immediate surroundings (preferably within reasonable walking distance), so I could use some impressions on the area.

All my family that lives there has been able to tell me is to steer clear of apartments around the Franklin Street area due to recent ugliness about international students, and that South Yarra's a 'yuppie area'--I can't even tell if they think that last one's a good or bad thing. Personally I quite like the latte-sipping hipster crowd, but I feel like some of you would have a much better read on the area than I do.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Vic goverment tries to improve traffic congestion and public transport in victoria by use of elevatoed rail.

Locals... "but what about our property prices :cry:"

"melbourne sky train gets go ahead cranbourne pakenham line posted:

A nine-metre-high elevated track will be built along Melbourne's Cranbourne-Pakenham line to carry a sky train, part of the Victorian Government's effort to combat traffic congestion.

Key points:

Construction on raised train line to start later this year
Residents concerned about safety, financial, lifestyle impacts
Government will not reveal if compensation is an option

As part of the $1.6 billion project being announced today, nine level crossings will be removed along the Cranbourne-Pakenham line, with three sections of the track to be elevated.

The plan, floated earlier this year, will also free up 11 MCGs worth of open space.

The Government said the new track would include barricades to stop train commuters being able to look down into houses and backyards along the route.

"This is going to significantly reduce road congestion. Some of these boom gates are down for up to 87 minutes in every two-hour morning peak period," Public Transport Minister Jacinta Allan said.

"We know it's a significant safety risk and causes great frustration to local motorists."

Construction on the sky train is expected to start this year, but some residents have already voiced their anger.

Karlee Browning said her Carnegie house, which backs onto the line, would be completely overshadowed, and the mother of two was also worried about safety.

"[There's] a very real possibility that there could be a derailment onto my house onto my family," she said.

"It's not just suburban trains, we're talking about freight trains that could weigh up to 80,000 tonnes fully laden.

"We have a roof full of solar panels, and I have not doubt it is going to be a huge overshadowing."

Ms Browning said given the built-up nature of the area, the open spaces touted by the Government would likely become car parks, not open space.
Legal options, compensation 'talked about'

Hundreds of concerned and angry residents attended a community meeting at Murumbeena to discuss the issue.

Ms Browning, who was one of the organisers, said she was also concerned about the effect the sky rail would have on the value of properties and would seek compensation.

"Legal action is something that is being talked about [among residents]," she said.

"I want to be compensated for the value that's being slashed off my house.

"I want to be compensated for the things I've invested in my house like the $6,000 solar panelling that will be rendered unless.

"I want to be compensated for impact on my family, on my security, on my privacy."

I get community consultations a good thing. and if, and this is a big if, it did affect someones sunlight and they have solar panels that's a legit concern, but the house price whining is pretty disgraceful when the governments actually trying to improve the local area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

"I'm an archivist. I'm archiving."

ScreamingLlama posted:

Lol, Birb knows that you have had trouble with your DSP which is why he is having a go at you. Apart from your complete lack of hard evidence, I like how you claim that there is "actual fraud to the tune of billions is still going on"

We only spend 8-9 billion of Newstart a year, which means that you are claiming that about a quarter of all claims are fraudulent.

Actual source for the amount on Newstart

http://www.ncoa.gov.au/report/appendix-vol-1/9-11-unemployment-benefits-minimum-wage.html

• Locked thread