Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BRBPR
Jul 20, 2001

Showed this to the wife who is in marketing and public relations to see what she thought. She just giggled and said she loves it and has been randomly shouting PUPPY MONKEY BABY all evening. smh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I think that PuppyMonkeyBaby is supposed to be so bad that people talk about it.

It seems to be working.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

yotoc posted:

Showed this to the wife who is in marketing and public relations to see what she thought. She just giggled and said she loves it and has been randomly shouting PUPPY MONKEY BABY all evening. smh

I'm more interested in what college age chavs think about it than what 25-30 year old office working ladies think.

Mountain Dew obviously wasn't.

AgentF
May 11, 2009
People need to realise that just because we're talking about it doesn't mean that the advertising has "worked". I think the measure of success of the advertising campaign isn't actually the amount of attention it receives, but rather a resultant increase in sales of the product.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
For example, I'm the ideal secondary target for the ad - I literally have no idea what you're talking about with the monkey thing, but the reference has no information at all so any word of mouth exposure to me is completely worthless. At least with other intentionally bad ads the product is usually baked into it (annoying phone number jingles, apply this glue stick to your head, etc), but this is just an example of poor execution

BRBPR
Jul 20, 2001

Choco1980 posted:

I'm more interested in what college age chavs think about it than what 25-30 year old office working ladies think.

I know, but now she'll be more inclined to stock this where those college kids can get it? She works in university food service.

FROOOOOOOOG
Jan 28, 2009

AgentF posted:

People need to realise that just because we're talking about it doesn't mean that the advertising has "worked". I think the measure of success of the advertising campaign isn't actually the amount of attention it receives, but rather a resultant increase in sales of the product.

The Big Ad is a great example of this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GY6uJlI-t14

Got a huge amount of attention, won a whole bunch of awards, viewed so many times.... didn't sell much more product.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

yotoc posted:

Sever. SEVER.

AgentF
May 11, 2009

yotoc posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMN8REGJXaA

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

Platystemon posted:

I think that PuppyMonkeyBaby is supposed to be so bad that people talk about it.

It seems to be working.

I haven't seen the commercial and have no idea what the product they're offering is. Sure people are talking about the ad, but it doesn't seem to be effective.

I watched so many commercials growing up that I can still hum the Extra sugar free gum jingle off the top of me head, or the old Kit Kat theme. Maybe songs are more effective on me :haw:

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Many months from now, you'll have zero or barely any recollection of that monkey baby bullshit. But when presented with a row of unknown drinks on the shelf, the one depicted in the commercial, will give you a vague feeling of familiarity. You won't know where, how or why. But the chance of you picking it out of the bunch is undeniably huge.

Go ahead and tell us just how cool you are for totally going against advertising and such. But entire institutes filled with brilliant highly paid researchers have figured it out long ago. And products get sold.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Nitrox posted:

Many months from now, you'll have zero or barely any recollection of that monkey baby bullshit. But when presented with a row of unknown drinks on the shelf, the one depicted in the commercial, will give you a vague feeling of familiarity. You won't know where, how or why. But the chance of you picking it out of the bunch is undeniably huge.

Go ahead and tell us just how cool you are for totally going against advertising and such. But entire institutes filled with brilliant highly paid researchers have figured it out long ago. And products get sold.

Shhh, just let the weekly "advertising doesn't work on me/why don't they just stop making ads and save the money since they're already so popular/there is such thing as bad publicity" cycle play out,

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
To be sure building brand awareness is 90% of advertising. But there are caveats. You want brand associations in people's minds to be positive (Buzz cola is the best!) or at least neutral (Buzz cola is a brand of cola that I can buy). Negative associations can be bad, as can ads that don't really build up an association with the product itself.

I remember there was a Miller Lite campaign featuring "Miller Lite ads by Dick", which were just these goofy little comedy spots, sometimes funny by commercial standards, that didn't really say anything about the beer- and this campaign was ultimately considered a failure because people weren't making that link.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

Sleeveless posted:

Shhh, just let the weekly "advertising doesn't work on me/why don't they just stop making ads and save the money since they're already so popular/there is such thing as bad publicity" cycle play out,

It's really interesting to me how the nature of advertising has changed. Used to be that a catchy jingle was all you needed. These days people have the option to skip through commercials, so one way to get around that is to generate buzz about the commercial.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Nitrox posted:

Sleeveless posted:

Yes we know you're the cleverest 9th graders in the room.

Sentient Data posted:

For example, I'm the ideal secondary target for the ad - I literally have no idea what you're talking about with the monkey thing, but the reference has no information at all so any word of mouth exposure to me is completely worthless. At least with other intentionally bad ads the product is usually baked into it (annoying phone number jingles, apply this glue stick to your head, etc), but this is just an example of poor execution

I'm reminded of those creepy talking baby ads from 5-10 years ago--the ones where babies talked like adults about their finances. I still don't remember what the hell they were selling but I remember the creepy factor. Novelty factor doesn't mean nearly as much as this thread seems to think it does if the product isn't 210% clear:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQhwNtY3N2k

This is considered one of the most memorable commercials ever made and yet 9/10 people watching would tell you it's for spaghetti sauce on a first watch. Therefore it is largely considered a failure.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

mind the walrus posted:

Yes we know you're the cleverest 9th graders in the room.

I'm reminded of those creepy talking baby ads from 5-10 years ago--the ones where babies talked like adults about their finances. I still don't remember what the hell they were selling but I remember the creepy factor. Novelty factor doesn't mean nearly as much as this thread seems to think it does if the product isn't 210% clear:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQhwNtY3N2k

This is considered one of the most memorable commercials ever made and yet 9/10 people watching would tell you it's for spaghetti sauce on a first watch. Therefore it is largely considered a failure.

I'm not going to sit there and try to change anyone's mind, go buck wild feeling smugly superior to all that ineffective advertising.

But just for a quick moment, if you were to start playing stock market online, what's the first investment firm that comes to mind? Whatever your answer is, etrade is what overwhelming number of people select. On fact, the first and second results for "talking babies ad", and there are hundreds, is in fact etrade. If none of the above applies to you, it has enough of the effect, that you can use it as an example in the conversation years later. That ad was so effective on every level, it's loving bonkers.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Nitrox posted:

I'm not going to sit there and try to change anyone's mind, go buck wild feeling smugly superior to all that ineffective advertising.

The only person who is trying to be smugly superior here is you.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Andrast posted:

oh yeah, totally. I'm the one and only.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

it's a two-headed ourobourous of smug superiority, really

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Andrast posted:

Bingo. I don't disagree with a word of what he's saying as much as saying "well you're talking about so it worked" is the most basic poo poo anyone even tangentially involved in marketing can say. There is literally no reason to resort to that phrase unless you're actively trying to be the smuggest, most arrogant prick in the room. Going by other threads I've seen him post in that seems to be an accurate assessment of his character, and I say that as someone who doesn't feel superior to that assessment. Pompous jackoffs can spot our own.

The only part I quibble on is that word-of-mouth isn't the only metric by which advertising success can be derived. It's a large portion, to be sure, but at the end of the day if your ad can be repurposed for literally any other product to the same effect then your ad is probably not all that great. The worst part is that by deliberately focusing on this terrible ad in particular I can't judge its efficacy to myself as I've focused on it far, far more than the average consumer ever will.

Nitrox posted:

oh yeah, totally. I'm the one and only.

You're pretty bad dude.

Alaois posted:

it's a two-headed ourobourous of smug superiority, really

Now that you're here it's really a party. Do you get text alerts whenever there's a chance to drop white noise in a thread where someone is being pretentious or is it more of a natural radar sense?

mind the walrus has a new favorite as of 17:46 on Feb 7, 2016

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Choco1980 posted:

It's wacky and random humor which is what the target audience finds funny, directly after movie references they recognize.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

Nitrox posted:

Ummm... Yes, we will? The whole point of the conversation isn't "advertising doesn't work on me :smuggo:", it's "that particular ad was a failure due to its horrible execution". Again, I don't even know what the product is at all other than the new information that you gave that it's probably some kind of alcohol. How the hell can it be effective if no information about anything gets passed along?

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

mind the walrus posted:

You're pretty bad dude.
I'll tone it down, sorry.

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS

Nitrox posted:

Did anyone else read this in Derren Brown's voice? It wouldn't shock me to find out he's a goon.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Sentient Data posted:

Ummm... Yes, we will? The whole point of the conversation isn't "advertising doesn't work on me :smuggo:", it's "that particular ad was a failure due to its horrible execution". Again, I don't even know what the product is at all other than the new information that you gave that it's probably some kind of alcohol. How the hell can it be effective if no information about anything gets passed along?

The ad sucks but it literally says "Dew, Juice, Caffiene - 3 awesome things combined". You're just being obtuse.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Karma Monkey posted:

Did anyone else read this in Derren Brown's voice? It wouldn't shock me to find out he's a goon.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZyQjr1YL0zg

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

AgentF posted:

The Enrique joke was never funny and certainly isn't now

enrique is the best joke in the sub.

honorable mention to walla

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

RagnarokAngel posted:

The ad sucks but it literally says "Dew, Juice, Caffiene - 3 awesome things combined". You're just being obtuse.

Okay, so now I'm assuming it's a mountain dew variant finally. I'm not being obtuse, I literally haven't seen the ad, and the conversation was about word of mouth. My point is that said word of mouth is completely useless on its own

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Maxwell Lord posted:

To be sure building brand awareness is 90% of advertising. But there are caveats. You want brand associations in people's minds to be positive (Buzz cola is the best!) or at least neutral (Buzz cola is a brand of cola that I can buy). Negative associations can be bad, as can ads that don't really build up an association with the product itself.

I remember there was a Miller Lite campaign featuring "Miller Lite ads by Dick", which were just these goofy little comedy spots, sometimes funny by commercial standards, that didn't really say anything about the beer- and this campaign was ultimately considered a failure because people weren't making that link.

The part of the equation you're missing is the target demographic. Sometimes (caveat: not always. Bad ads exist.) a strangely-presented or bad ad seems that way becuase the ad is not trying to speak to you.

So sure, there are a bunch of young men featured in the commercial, but know who devours that "lolrandom" poo poo? 10-13 year old boys. If Mountain Dew succeeds in becoming "a thing" with boys that age through "puppymonkeybaby," then when those boys start having disposable income and telling you what they'll be doing to your mother on XBox Live, Mountain Dew has a leg up.

Nobody in this thread was going to buy that product no matter how it was presented.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I actively avoid Mountain Dew because of The Simpsons. I vaguely remember trying it one time and not hating it but in my mind it's always linked with crab juice so I will never knowingly purchase it again. Sucks for the ad guys.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Mu Zeta posted:

I actively avoid Mountain Dew because of The Simpsons. I vaguely remember trying it one time and not hating it but in my mind it's always linked with crab juice so I will never knowingly purchase it again. Sucks for the ad guys.

I'm always interested in the effect where an ad is effective but in the opposite direction. Mountain Dew, for instance. I don't like the demographic that they advertise to so I avoid it. Likewise Apple products and their marketing have warped into something I dislike and don't want to be associated with. I know I'm not alone in this as marketing does work and works on everyone, but I wonder what that is called and if advertisers take this effect into account.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Sentient Data posted:

(annoying phone number jingles,

Eight-seven-SEV-en
Three-nine-threeee
Four, four, four, ei-ght!

I think it was a credit score service but all I remember is the obnoxious commercial and a guy trying to rap and a bunch of women dressed up like mermaids at the poolside.

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

This isn't Middle Earth, Quentin. There aren't enough noble quests to go around.

Mu Zeta posted:

In the new season of the podcast Serial, Bowe Bergdahl talks about how all of the Taliban guys drank Mountain Dew all of the time. :thumbsup: Winning endorsement, Mountain Dew!

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Whatever happened to the freecreditreport.com songs?

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Len posted:

Whatever happened to the freecreditreport.com songs?

They stopped pushing that jingle when people caught on that the service wasn't actually free

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...
On the topic of ads that negatively impact product image, there are two I can think of immediately: The General insurance and Education Connection. I really don't understand what The General is trying to achieve. I would never, ever, ever use their product simply because of those amazingly bad commercials.

Education Connection's god awful song that says nothing to me beyond "We are a lovely joke and prey on those ignorant of how the education system functions": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYS5NtRXlZQ

sweeperbravo posted:

Eight-seven-SEV-en
Three-nine-threeee
Four, four, four, ei-ght!

I think it was a credit score service but all I remember is the obnoxious commercial and a guy trying to rap and a bunch of women dressed up like mermaids at the poolside.

two-eight-one, three-three-oh, eight-zero-zero-fo', that's the number you can hit me on, when you call, ask for MIKE JONES.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Nitrox posted:

This would be more credible if it were supported with evidence.

Primetime
Jul 3, 2009

Retro Access posted:

Watch the "orapup" commercial.

It's supposed to be an ad for a dog toothbrush, instead it's an ad about reasons to be glad you have cats, not dogs.

At some point a dog literally eats poo poo out of a dirty nappy and that doesn't have remotely the effect on me that all the spine shuddering sounds have.

Ugh, I just watched this commercial, even though it's clearly just ground beef in a diaper, why show that for an uncomfortable 10 seconds? I'm now convinced any slurping noise is the biggest disincentive for buying a product

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Nitrox posted:

Hold on hold on, I know the institute you're talking about-

The Puppetmaster Institute of Social Experiments, right? I know their motto by heart: "We meant to do that, and you all fell for it."

Seriously dude, stop pretending that advertisers know what the gently caress they're doing. This is the age of the internet. Advertising is a terrified and limping profession that refuses to understand that people don't do things the old way anymore. I know that you've watched Mad Men and can probably recite a bunch of Don Draper speeches by heart but that doesn't make you an expert.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
people ornery af on today, the holiest of sundays.