Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Thump! posted:

Right but didn't you hear, those Mormons are just ~*~Wacky~*~

I dated a mormon chick and her grandparents were incredibly nice to me despite my papism. I did not get to confirm wacky underwear either way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

stubblyhead posted:

He was way better in Sharpe, you should check it out.

I'll try to give it a shot. Though I was referring more to his character trying to act as a badass and derping while trying to receive a shipment or when setting up a simple ambush.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Kazak_Hstan posted:

All religions are fundamentally irrational, all of them have decent and bad people, all of them have reeeeming and ugly parts of their history, it's really not worth slap fighting over.

This is what I wanted to say. If you're going to run around screaming about how Mormons are child-raping cultists, you should start side-eyeing everyone around you who's not an avowed atheist with a Darwin Fish bumper sticker.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

buttcoinbrony posted:

I dated a mormon chick and her grandparents were incredibly nice to me despite my papism. I did not get to confirm wacky underwear either way.

Special underclothes don't start 'till adulthood, no?

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Thump! posted:

Right but didn't you hear, those Mormons are just ~*~Wacky~*~

Wacky is a pretty legitimate criticism of a religion.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Special underclothes don't start 'till adulthood, no?

idk that probably should have been phrased as 'i dated a chick with a heavily mormon family'

gf's underwear was normal butt floss

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
I mean people are pretty okay with most forms of religious display when it doesn't involve injecting the objectively silly tenets into the public discourse.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

SocketWrench posted:

Nah, they'll know it's fake because the actual tarp has his image burned into it like the Shroud of Torin

Jerk :(

Doctor Butts posted:

Shroud of Tarpin: ancient sovcit relic said to have the outline of Finicum kneeling down and surrendering.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

buttcoinbrony posted:

Lavoy Finicum got murdered by the government is a lot easier to rally behind than Lavoy Finicum did what he said he was going to do if the man tried to arrest him.

But the whole basis of their movement is essentially doing what Tarpman did, or at least threatening it. One of them finally goes through with it, and they want to pretend it didn't happen, so that they can be fake mad and threaten to basically do exactly what he did anyway.

ChlamydiaJones
Sep 27, 2002

My Estonian riding instructor told me; "Mine munni ahvi türa imeja", and I live by that every day!
Ramrod XTreme
Every time I read more of the transcript from this guys wake I get more confused, I mean what the hell does this even MEAN??

quote:

There is something more. A word apparting and shall the heart’s tone be silent. Engagements, I’ll beseal you! Fare thee well, fairy well! All I can tell you is this, my sorellies. It’s prayers in layers all the thumping time, begor, the young gloria’s gang voices the old doxologers, in the suburrs of the heavenly gardens, once we shall have passed, after surceases, all serene through neck and necklike Derby and June to our snug eternal retribution’s reward (the scorchhouse). Shunt us! shunt us! shunt us! If you want to be felixed come and be parked. Sacred ease there! Hurricanes in our Cohortyard, no cupahurling nor apuckalips nor no puncheon jodelling nor no nothing. With the Burns which is far better and eve forever your idle be. You will hardly reconnoiter the old wife in the new bustle and the farmer shinner in his latterday paint.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

ToastyPotato posted:

But the whole basis of their movement is essentially doing what Tarpman did, or at least threatening it. One of them finally goes through with it, and they want to pretend it didn't happen, so that they can be fake mad and threaten to basically do exactly what he did anyway.

Yeah that's what I was getting at. It's a lot easier to say tarpman got murdered by the gubbmint so lets be safe and avoid them FBIs.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Les Zaitz should definitely be played by Tommy Lee Jones.

"Les it looks like the ranchers are kicking up again"

Les: *looks down at pie, sighs, gets up from lunch counter*

kartikeya
Mar 17, 2009

Toasticle posted:

Victim I agree but perpetrator, sorry. The LDS spent a fuckton of money to discriminate against gays in California with prop 8. You are a member of that church so by proxy you helped support it. I may disagree with pro-lifers but if you are a member of a group that on the national level supports and promotes the PP video garbage even if your local chapter didn't you are still supporting a massive disgusting lie even if indirectly.

If I'm misinformed I'll retract it but LDS is to the best of my knowledge a single organization so any money you've given them a portion went to discriminating against gays. Even if your local church disagreed it's still part of that organization. Your church may do a poo poo ton of good but it still is part of an organization that spent a huge chunk of cash not doing good work but inserting itself into politics for a disgusting cause. Even if it wasn't prop 8 a church that inserts itself that deeply into politics should lose its tax exempt status. You get that exemption for staying out of politics and I'll be honest it does piss me off that your church gets away with it. Yeah most do it too but not so blatantly and didn't have to worry that the IRS would step in and say no, you don't get to do that and that's just wrong.

As whacky as some Mormon beliefs are I don't really view them as more or less weird than other religions but LDS spent some of your money not helping the poor or other doing good but to push laws that discriminate against gay rights, sorry.

I recently mentioned Prop 8 being really lovely, but I'll try to elaborate (in a very short sort of way): yeah, it was really loving lovely.

I've actually been trying to find out if actual tithing funds were used, but I'm not finding anything concrete. I suspect they were at least used on some of the advertising, but from the Wikipedia entry (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_Proposition_8_%282008%29#Religious_organizations) it seems like most of the funds were from donations. This might seem confusing, but tithing and additional donations are different things, especially when it comes to political uses. That is to say, Mormons are expected to donate 10% of their income to tithing, this goes to general church operating costs, helping the poor, funding church projects such as building temples and meeting halls, etc. There's also 'Fast offerings' which are an optional thing you can offer on the first Sunday of every month in addition to tithing, and you can donate directly to missionary efforts/supporting the missionaries. From this entry, it looks like this was a separate fundraiser, although it was officially supported by church leadership and encouraged (strongly in some cases) by local leadership. Which is basically a lot of words to say my tithing may or may not have been used to actually fund it, but was of course used to support the church that supported it.

That's splitting hairs. It was lovely, I don't agree with it, a lot of Mormons don't agree with it and also think it was lovely, and the announcement that came out in support of it also acknowledged that a lot of members weren't going to be in support of it and they should make their own political decisions (albeit, with a heavy encouragement toward supporting such measures). There are things my religion/church has done that I don't like, I don't think that's a unique position to be in for anyone in a large organized religion.

Prop 8 wasn't just a Mormon thing. It was a Catholic thing and also included a great many other denominations. That doesn't excuse the LDS church in any way, but I feel confident that an awful lot of Catholics weren't in support of it either (or, you know, Jews. Or Eastern Orthodox members. Or all evangelicals).

Armani posted:

Where are people getting this

Kart literally stated they no longer follow the religion and is here to clarify dumb poo poo about it in an effort to not get people steamrolled on harping from exaggerated sources and stories when the religion is already a joke without making up poo poo about it. That poo poo sentence I just typed was more defensive. Then again, I had relatives on those hosed up compounds - the real cult poo poo.

I grew up Mormon. I had a weird church that discouraged actual witnessing and took missionary work as glorified vacations. A big point of contention during Prop 8 was my churches refusal to let children pass out brochures and pamphlets due to my Bishop having a wife who bearded his homosexuality while his best friend Brother Joe lived in their house for the next 25 years. (This always sucked to me - sure, be gay but never act like it/on it). Though that was back in the 2000's, we have opey gay practicing members now.

It's a church that doesn't look the same every ten years (and varies huge on the state, income, and racial communities).

For example: They've (my church) even started preaching something where they acknowledge and accept that in this modern world, you're probably going to have large numbers of the flock bail on religion by the time they're 18-25 so my church offers financial help and family planning for literally apostates. That's huge IMO, helping atheist or non-practicing families get loans and credit together instead of hounding their doorstep for the rest of their lives.

That's my fifty cents on the subject. Ask me about the time a bunch of kids shoved dead mice in my locker in the name of Kolob.

This, though I'm actually still a practicing member (it was someone else who said they were ex-Mormon a while back). I disagree with a lot of stuff, I believe in a lot of stuff. I'm probably not a very good Mormon. I suppose you could argue I'm inactive since I rarely attend church, but that's due to disability rather than desire. But yeah, I'm not here to preach, I'm just here to 'clarify dumb poo poo'. Also to laugh at assholes, make tarp jokes, and listen to crazy people on the internet. I had honestly never even heard of shofars until this event.

I'm also enjoying this Oregonian reporter's deep and unending love of pie:

https://twitter.com/LesZaitz/status/696406042918322178

kartikeya
Mar 17, 2009

ChlamydiaJones posted:

Every time I read more of the transcript from this guys wake I get more confused, I mean what the hell does this even MEAN??

What. What even...is this. It's like words have no meaning. This is a joke, right? They didn't actually say this at his funeral, right?

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Liberal Portland journalist gets delicious pies, patriots get dildos. Thanks Obama.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

ToastyPotato posted:

It's more like they're glad that he stood up to BIG GOV'T, but angry that he actually suffered consequences for it. They're more than happy to come out publicly with the second one, but not the first. They're also more than willing to warp the story so it makes their side look better/more palatable. It's the whole "outer narrative" thing.

Mercury_Storm fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Feb 7, 2016

ChlamydiaJones
Sep 27, 2002

My Estonian riding instructor told me; "Mine munni ahvi türa imeja", and I live by that every day!
Ramrod XTreme
This is an amusing YouTube video; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8dZI_LnZaA

jerry seinfel
Jun 25, 2007

kartikeya posted:

What. What even...is this. It's like words have no meaning. This is a joke, right? They didn't actually say this at his funeral, right?

I think it's a quote from Finnegan's Wake

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums
Don't know if its been posted in here yet but I've been reading the hunting thread in TFR and this movement isn't just some random morons but part of a broader push by corporations to open more land for exploitation.

http://www.backcountryhunters.org/i...ers-and-anglers

So don't be surprised if "the government owns too much dang land" starts being a bigger issue in the future.

ChlamydiaJones
Sep 27, 2002

Ramrod XTreme

hcenvirons posted:

Buzzkill.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Numlock posted:

Don't know if its been posted in here yet but I've been reading the hunting thread in TFR and this movement isn't just some random morons but part of a broader push by corporations to open more land for exploitation.

So don't be surprised if "the government owns too much dang land" starts being a bigger issue in the future.

Yep. MacNabb tweeted photos during the first Bundy Ranch standoff of the exact day when all of their homemade signs were replaced by ones using material from one of the 501c3s pushing for this.

That said, these interests obviously aren't as happy about the refuge standoff- it delegitimizes their cause when the actors are so unhinged.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Discendo Vox posted:

Yep. MacNabb tweeted photos during the first Bundy Ranch standoff of the exact day when all of their homemade signs were replaced by ones using material from one of the 501c3s pushing for this.

That said, these interests obviously aren't as happy about the refuge standoff- it delegitimizes their cause when the actors are so unhinged.

I know it's not what you meant but there's some sort of cosmic irony spiraling toward us like an extinction meteor.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

ChlamydiaJones posted:

hcenvirons posted:

Finnacum's Wake

Rick_Hunter fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Feb 7, 2016

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

SedanChair posted:

Les Zaitz should definitely be played by Tommy Lee Jones.

"Les it looks like the ranchers are kicking up again"

Les: *looks down at pie, sighs, gets up from lunch counter*

YES. This.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

RuanGacho posted:

I know it's not what you meant but there's some sort of cosmic irony spiraling toward us like an extinction meteor.

Yes, thank you for the benefit of the doubt. I meant actors as in "people who do things", not as in "similar hair, they are a crisis---"

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Numlock posted:

It's a very big right wing talking point right now. Mark Levin will go on about how the Federal Govt owns and controls too much of the land, and it should be returned to the states and local governments. Of course, it's easier for big business to control or just bribe some state or local official to do what they want. From the standpoint of guys like the Bundys, its insane to help push this agenda because if they think that dealing with the BLM is tough, wait till they have to negotiate with Archer Daniels Midland and their hired military contractors.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

ChlamydiaJones posted:

Did the person who wrote this just start making up words? I can't figure out what this gibberish is supposed to mean.

Mercury_Storm posted:

It's more like they're glad that he stood up to BIG GOV'T, but angry that he actually suffered consequences for it. They're more than happy to come out publicly with the second one, but not the first. They're also more than willing to warp the story so it makes their side look better/more palatable. It's the whole "outer narrative" thing.

This is true and why they should be regarded as schoolyard bullies mad that they got in trouble for taking the other kid's ball.

Geostomp fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Feb 7, 2016

Beowulfs_Ghost
Nov 6, 2009

radical meme posted:

It's a very big right wing talking point right now. Mark Levin will go on about how the Federal Govt owns and controls too much of the land, and it should be returned to the states and local governments. Of course, it's easier for big business to control or just bribe some state or local official to do what they want. From the standpoint of guys like the Bundys, its insane to help push this agenda because if they think that dealing with the BLM is tough, wait till they have to negotiate with Archer Daniels Midland and their hired military contractors.

Here on the western side of Oregon, Weyerhaeuser bought up a bunch of timberland in and around the BLM and National Forest land. If you want to enter it to go hunting, you have to pay admission.

Another spot in the Coast Range I frequent it now blocked off. To get to the public land, I have to cross though a piece owned by some outfit call Hancock, and they changed their policy to flat out no trespassing.

I think some of the militants were aware of this issue when they announced they wanted the Refuge to be handed straight over to their Public Safety Council. If it went on the auction block, none of the locals or militants would get a piece.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Beowulfs_Ghost posted:

Another spot in the Coast Range I frequent it now blocked off. To get to the public land, I have to cross though a piece owned by some outfit call Hancock, and they changed their policy to flat out no trespassing.

This might not be kosher- it's worth contacting whichever entity controls that land and asking about it.

kartikeya
Mar 17, 2009

https://twitter.com/jjmacnab/status/696451544506433537

Basically WethePeople.txt. It only refers to the RIGHT kind of people, obviously.

Mr. Belding
May 19, 2006
^
|
<- IS LAME-O PHOBE ->
|
V

kartikeya posted:

I recently mentioned Prop 8 being really lovely, but I'll try to elaborate (in a very short sort of way): yeah, it was really loving lovely.

I mean for what it's worth it took well over 100 years for the church to let black people in and they're just a different color. That's way less gross/unholy/anathema than butt stuff.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

buttcoinbrony posted:

Liberal Portland journalist gets delicious pies, patriots get dildos. Thanks Obama.
Dildos can be delicious, just depends on where they've been and preferred tastes. And if the lube is flavored.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

hcenvirons posted:

As read off the cardboard plaque.
Certainly isn't a written copy though as it'd be full of misspellings.

radical meme posted:

It's a very big right wing talking point right now. Mark Levin will go on about how the Federal Govt owns and controls too much of the land, and it should be returned to the states and local governments. Of course, it's easier for big business to control or just bribe some state or local official to do what they want.

Not to mention that not every state has the spare cash flow to upkeep those lands, especially out west where huge swaths of the state are unoccupied.

Beowulfs_Ghost posted:

I think some of the militants were aware of this issue when they announced they wanted the Refuge to be handed straight over to their Public Safety Council. If it went on the auction block, none of the locals or militants would get a piece.

Of course they knew. The end results would be the same (blocked off and unusable by anyone), just made that way by these wack jobs

SocketWrench fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Feb 7, 2016

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Burns Paiutes to Ammon Bundy: You're not the victim

quote:

Members of the Burns Paiute Tribe found it comical and frustrating when Ammon Bundy and his followers seized the Malheur National Wildlife Refuge in the name of ranchers they claimed had lost the land unfairly to the federal government.

The Paiutes, too, had complaints about their treatment by federal land managers. The government seized 1.5 million acres of their people's ancestral homeland in 1879, and members waited nine decades to receive compensation checks for $743.20 each. One person bought a washer-dryer set. Another bought college textbooks and sent in a tuition check. Some paid down bills, bought groceries and banked what was left.

When Bundy's group took over Malheur's headquarters, the gesture galvanized ranchers across the west and inspired an impassioned, sympathetic House floor speech from an Oregon congressman. Paiute tribal member Fred Townsend had been calling federal officials for years to say his people were shortchanged and he could barely get anyone to answer the phone.

Bundy said he wanted the Malheur refuge distributed to ranchers. The Burns Paiutes had roamed its fertile wetlands for millennia before the first cattle arrived there.

That's just the start. The whole article is worth reading.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Feb 7, 2016

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

kartikeya posted:

https://twitter.com/jjmacnab/status/696451544506433537

Basically WethePeople.txt. It only refers to the RIGHT kind of people, obviously.

Dear David Fry,
I am what you would call a liberal. I own guns, I know how to use them and keep them in proper shape and storage. I've also likely gotten more military training than you as I've actually been in reenactment groups that tried to be an exact match to their historical counterparts vs you sitting on your rear end watching another John Wayne movie.
I join the residents of Burns, Harney County, Oregon, and the sane part of the US in saying the following line;
"Shut the gently caress up and get the gently caress out"

Eat poo poo and kill yourself,
SocketWrench

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

buttcoinbrony posted:

I read this as priapism and might owe you significant royaltiies if the screenplay this misunderstanding inspired is optioned.

P.S. I'm glad the dumb mormon derail is done.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Subterfrugal posted:

I read this as priapism and might owe you significant royaltiies if the screenplay this misunderstanding inspired is optioned.
I think Ben Stiller did that one already.

SocketWrench posted:

Dear David Fry,
I am what you would call a liberal. I own guns, I know how to use them and keep them in proper shape and storage. I've also likely gotten more military training than you as I've actually been in reenactment groups that tried to be an exact match to their historical counterparts vs you sitting on your rear end watching another John Wayne movie.
I join the residents of Burns, Harney County, Oregon, and the sane part of the US in saying the following line;
"Shut the gently caress up and get the gently caress out"

Eat poo poo and kill yourself,
SocketWrench

Sorry, couldn't resist.

kartikeya
Mar 17, 2009

Mr. Belding posted:

I mean for what it's worth it took well over 100 years for the church to let black people in and they're just a different color. That's way less gross/unholy/anathema than butt stuff.

This isn't true, but the reality isn't all that much better. Black people (and other ethnicities) have always been allowed in the LDS church, have been able to be baptized, receive blessings, etc. However, it wasn't until 1978 that black men were allowed to hold the priesthood, which is a big deal (Mormons don't have separate clergy like the Catholic Church, every man of a certain age is allowed to hold the priesthood provided he's living according to church standards). Weirdly enough, when the church was first founded and for some time after, a number of black men did hold the priesthood, but some time after Joseph Smith's death Brigham Young announced it wasn't going to be allowed any more. As far as I know Mormon churches were never segregated (beyond regional racial makeup, as local congregations are organized into 'Wards' or 'Branches' and which one you go to depends on where you live), although it wouldn't surprise me if this happened in certain areas of the South.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Discendo Vox posted:

Sorry, couldn't resist

Reminds me of the live action cosplay of Resident Evil in Japan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Harbor
Apr 17, 2005
Bruce Campbell: You've stolen my heart, but you'll never take my freedom
Nap Ghost

ToastyPotato posted:

I wonder how Tarpman would have felt if he knew that, following his heroic last stand in which he resists the government even unto his last breath, his supporters would all be convincing themselves that he had meekly surrendered.

• Locked thread