Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

nachos posted:

Every Rubio YES share I own in every market tanked after this debate, lol

Hell yeah!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

Oh my god, the online stream cut off 538 analysis mid-sentence to go back to...Stephanopolous analysis.

Oh no wrong thread, I guess I'll say that now is the time to get undervalued Rubio shares, because he's getting his poo poo wrecked from all sides.

tinstaach has issued a correction as of 04:17 on Feb 7, 2016

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Now I feel like I should have actually watched this debate.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Gyges posted:

This one has been spectacular

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Gyges posted:

Christie spent like 5 minutes steam rolling Rubio over and over again. It was glorious. (Also I dumped my Rubio 2nd shares for a small profit, probably gonna pick them up again for cheaper than I got them originally now.)

Cornflakes
Dec 3, 2006

Do we know who won speaking time yet? I didn't put anything down for it, but I'm curious.

huge pile of hamburger
Nov 4, 2009

CornflakeS.Pecially posted:

Do we know who won speaking time yet? I didn't put anything down for it, but I'm curious.

Rubot

sharkbomb
Feb 9, 2005
I've been sitting on some Rubio.RNom.16 No shares that I bought when I was drunk 3 days before the Iowa caucus... I am obsessing about whether I should unload them now or wait for further Rubio fallout from the debate performance or NH primary.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

So...I think I have a gambling problem :(

huge pile of hamburger
Nov 4, 2009

sharkbomb posted:

I've been sitting on some Rubio.RNom.16 No shares that I bought when I was drunk 3 days before the Iowa caucus... I am obsessing about whether I should unload them now or wait for further Rubio fallout from the debate performance or NH primary.

Right now is the over reaction
Lock in some profits now imo

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Garrand posted:

So...I think I have a gambling problem :(

If you're serious please liquidate all your shares and unsubscribe from this thread. This site definitely isn't for everyone

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

I think I will. I dumped way more of my tax refund into this than I initially intended. Luckily I've made some profit but should probably get out while I'm ahead.

Goodbye thread :sadwave:

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Sold my Trump Yes NH shares @ 84c.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

Vox Nihili posted:

Sold my Trump Yes NH shares @ 84c.

Honestly the polls are showing a likely Trump win, not sure you need to sell at all.

thethreeman
May 10, 2008
Fallen Rib
so my Trump 35% NOs are getting crushed tonight, and I understand why... If he wins NH, I guess the assumption is his national numbers will shoot up. That said, the last two polls since IA had him at 29% and 31%; he's barely above 30% average even IN new hampshire; once bush/christie/kasich(?) drop after NH, I don't think he'll pick up many 2nd choice votes; and despite Rubot's meltdown tonight, I still don't think he's going to disappear as the establishment guy

Shares are sitting there with a huge 57c /67c bid/ask spread. I think I'll hold off on buying more until after my Trump NH YESes pay off though...

Does this seem like easy money to anyone else or am I failing to accept the trumpmentum?

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

JosefStalinator posted:

Honestly the polls are showing a likely Trump win, not sure you need to sell at all.

I think it's 80-90% likely, so I'm happy to get off the train before the last stop.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

JosefStalinator posted:

Also the Trump wins nothing market is in the single digits. That seems like the much better hedge than selling your Trump NH YES shares now.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

thethreeman posted:

so my Trump 35% NOs are getting crushed tonight, and I understand why... If he wins NH, I guess the assumption is his national numbers will shoot up. That said, the last two polls since IA had him at 29% and 31%; he's barely above 30% average even IN new hampshire; once bush/christie/kasich(?) drop after NH, I don't think he'll pick up many 2nd choice votes; and despite Rubot's meltdown tonight, I still don't think he's going to disappear as the establishment guy

I bought a bunch earlier this week but sold them for a small loss before the debate, looks like I got out just in time. They'll probably pay out in the end but it's too uncertain for me

Oiled and Ready
Oct 11, 2004

He wished it could be as respectable and orthodox as spying. But somehow in his hands the traditional tools and attitudes were always employed toward mean ends: cloak for a laundry sack, dagger to peel potatoes, dossiers to fill up dead Sunday afternoons ...

thethreeman posted:

despite Rubot's meltdown tonight, I still don't think he's going to disappear as the establishment guy

How is this an opinion. I know FOX will spin as an early gaffe recovered but HOW. This exchange is most defining since "Senator, you're no Jack Kennedy." do you not realize that an attack ad couldd combine the Morning Joe Santorum clip with this new debate clip? There is absolutely no way he can now get elected because these two things in combination ruined his best argument: that he would beat Hillary in the general election. He literally had no other argument. now that it is clear that he can be completely decimated he is finished.

Im sure it got good ratings too.

Full disclosure, 2 mins after gaffe i bought 112 shares of Rubio no RNOM for 53c, 1000 in Christie for 2c each and Kasich at 6%.

Oiled and Ready has issued a correction as of 10:25 on Feb 7, 2016

Gibberish
Sep 17, 2002

by R. Guyovich
Let the Republicans cannibalize each other

Oiled and Ready
Oct 11, 2004

He wished it could be as respectable and orthodox as spying. But somehow in his hands the traditional tools and attitudes were always employed toward mean ends: cloak for a laundry sack, dagger to peel potatoes, dossiers to fill up dead Sunday afternoons ...

Aliquid posted:

I think Rubio is a good bet for most speaking time since the widest array of candidates will be attacking him at every chance, giving him an opportunity to respond.

This was clearly a good and prescient bet.

But perhaps he should have, you know, actually responded. I'm surprised you still won. He didn't need to be attacked much considering the first one defined the entire race and the storyline of career politicians.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I’ve always thought that Rubio was out of his depth, and this is yet more evidence of that, but I don’t think this in particular is the deathblow. It’s not a “Senator, you’re no Jack Kennedy” or even a “Please proceed, governor” moment.

It’s a fairly long exchange, by 2016 news standards, it has to be watched in its entirety, and it helps if there’s someone confirming that that’s no looped tape, no déjà vu— Rubio really is that robotic.

He’ll be pilloried on shows whose formats allow it, but it’s not a quotable gaffe. His rivals can’t reference it in a “remember that time he praised Obama” kind of way.

As an aside, I really wanted Rubs to win the nomination before breaking down. I’ve always considered him the least dangerous in the general election. Trump defies the known laws of politics, Cruz has animal cunning, and while the others aren’t great politicians, they have a lot more experience than Rubio.

Platystemon has issued a correction as of 14:39 on Feb 7, 2016

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

I'm really tempted to buy up some Rubio YES now that it's falling below 40 but that was some pretty bad debatin

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

Flavahbeast posted:

I'm really tempted to buy up some Rubio YES now that it's falling below 40 but that was some pretty bad debatin

I think the Wall Street term for doing that is "trying to catch a falling knife"

Adar
Jul 27, 2001
If you put me on the spot today:

Rubio 50%
Cruz 30%
!/K/C/F 15% with most of that to Christie
T 5%

If Rubio is 3rd in NH drop that 10% and give it to Cruz. If Rubio is 4th drop him 30% and split it between the non-doctor C's.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
If there was an eligibility contract on Cruz, where would it be trading?

StevePerry
Sep 5, 2003

don't stop believin

Arkane posted:

How would it even resolve?

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Peachstapler posted:

How would it even resolve?

It's a hypothetical!

On a completely different point, it is interesting how "bad" PredictIt is at dealing with favorites. Basically every favorite is bid up way too high, relative to their respective chances. Far too much confidence in the status quo.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Arkane posted:

I'm sure there's just enough people who don't understand how America works to keep it in the low 90s when coupled with the time frame.

Edit: Nope, low to mid 80s. Maybe even in the 70s. I just checked and Biden for the Democratic Nominee is in the low to mid 90s.

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.
I considered putting equal bets on Rubio and Kasich for 2nd seeing as they're both sub 40c but then saw Cruz at 16c- with him only being a few points behind both of them in the polls I feel like it could be a good opportunity for some of you gamblers to get a nice 5:1+ payoff. He's got enough of a chance at second that makes me not want to really hedge between the other two.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Hot take: I think Rubio will still pull off 2nd place by hoovering up the day-of folks who didn't bother watching debates, etc.

thethreeman
May 10, 2008
Fallen Rib

Oiled and Ready posted:

How is this an opinion. I know FOX will spin as an early gaffe recovered but HOW. This exchange is most defining since "Senator, you're no Jack Kennedy." do you not realize that an attack ad couldd combine the Morning Joe Santorum clip with this new debate clip? There is absolutely no way he can now get elected because these two things in combination ruined his best argument: that he would beat Hillary in the general election. He literally had no other argument. now that it is clear that he can be completely decimated he is finished.

Im sure it got good ratings too.

Full disclosure, 2 mins after gaffe i bought 112 shares of Rubio no RNOM for 53c, 1000 in Christie for 2c each and Kasich at 6%.

yeah I quickly sold every rubio YES I had in three different markets, and that was clearly the right call... I really underestimated the media. I'm mostly just rationalizing holding my Trump 35% NOs

Trying to think through fallout from rubio's mess, without having to guess which establishment candidate will make it through:
I just bought a bunch of South Carolina Cruz YESes for 24c, assuming he'll jump if he outperforms NH now...
Rubio 15% NOs are actually pretty interesting in the low 30s, but that's a long contract...
Some of the super tuesday primary markets look interesting if you think rubio looks bad in NH - he's still in the 30s/40s in MA, VT, etc...

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Gyges posted:

I'm sure there's just enough people who don't understand how America works to keep it in the low 90s when coupled with the time frame.

Edit: Nope, low to mid 80s. Maybe even in the 70s. I just checked and Biden for the Democratic Nominee is in the low to mid 90s.

Assuming I know that a judge or judges would decide it, I'd buy him being ruled ineligible anything below 20%. Doesn't seem very cut and dry for him.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Vox Nihili posted:

Hot take: I think Rubio will still pull off 2nd place by hoovering up the day-of folks who didn't bother watching debates, etc.

Alternate theory: Half of New Hampshire goes to a party today to watch commercials, where at least one person will bring up his debate performance.

MisterJed
May 9, 2004

IM DAY DAY IRL posted:

I considered putting equal bets on Rubio and Kasich for 2nd seeing as they're both sub 40c but then saw Cruz at 16c- with him only being a few points behind both of them in the polls I feel like it could be a good opportunity for some of you gamblers to get a nice 5:1+ payoff. He's got enough of a chance at second that makes me not want to really hedge between the other two.

I bought a chunk of Cruz 2nd at 14c earlier today. It's a weird spot but I like it at the price

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

MisterJed posted:

I bought a chunk of Cruz 2nd at 14c earlier today. It's a weird spot but I like it at the price

Cruz 2nd looks like a good bet if you assume Rubio takes a hit and Christie pulls back into the race. If the 4 establishment players finish about even, Cruz could nab 2nd with 17% of the vote or something around there.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

I would note that Rubio crushed his Iowa polling expectations by 6 points. Cruz beat his by 3 1/2 points, but this was expected given his huge GOTV effort and major infrastructure investments. Rubio was widely mocked for his mediocre Iowa campaign.

New Hampshire isn't Iowa, but Rubio might continue to beat his polling numbers if the undecided folks swing his way. The question is how much damage did the debate actually inflict on Rubio?

Cornflakes
Dec 3, 2006

MisterJed posted:

Same, I'm betting on his organization being strong enough to get a solid turnout and overperform. Also maybe another round of dirty tricks?

I bought some Kasich 2nd yesterday at 18c completely on a whim, hoping for something in the debates. Although truthfully I was thinking more that he'd do well, not that Rubio would implode. Just sold at 36c because I'm pessimistic about the guy's chances for 2nd and I can't see the price getting much higher, but I may be really regretting it come Tuesday

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Careful putting money on Cruz. A quote just leaked where he called American troops "psychopaths".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

a cop posted:

Careful putting money on Cruz. A quote just leaked where he called American troops "psychopaths".

I think he thinks a foxhole is a place where you do fights mano-a-mano with the enemy, but it is a bad quote taken out of context.

Any of Cruz/Rubio/Kasich/Bush 2nd under .20 is a good buy imo

• Locked thread