Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

kartikeya posted:

This isn't true, but the reality isn't all that much better. Black people (and other ethnicities) have always been allowed in the LDS church, have been able to be baptized, receive blessings, etc. However, it wasn't until 1978 that black men were allowed to hold the priesthood, which is a big deal (Mormons don't have separate clergy like the Catholic Church, every man of a certain age is allowed to hold the priesthood provided he's living according to church standards). Weirdly enough, when the church was first founded and for some time after, a number of black men did hold the priesthood, but some time after Joseph Smith's death Brigham Young announced it wasn't going to be allowed any more. As far as I know Mormon churches were never segregated (beyond regional racial makeup, as local congregations are organized into 'Wards' or 'Branches' and which one you go to depends on where you live), although it wouldn't surprise me if this happened in certain areas of the South.

Nobody actually cares. This thread is about the Oregon standoff. Make an Ask/Tell or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
To be fair, it is nice to have a rabid Mormon to summon when news slows down. Its more interesting then the thread going back to the FBI too slow argument we've had since this started.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Lord Harbor posted:

I wonder how Tarpman would have felt if he knew that, following his heroic last stand in which he resists the government even unto his last breath, his supporters would all be convincing themselves that he had meekly surrendered.

If he's anything like the rest of them, he'd get kind of sad that his macho fantasies didn't work out, then switch gears and cry that the mean old government would dare shoot him just because he reached for a weapon after spending a month vowing to kill anyone who tried to arrest him.

Also, I would greatly urge that any further religion discussions immediately follow Zaitz's example and instead discuss pie because I'd rather debate the impact of aluminum vs steel pie pans than spend one more second on that can of worms.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

kartikeya posted:

https://twitter.com/jjmacnab/status/696451544506433537

Basically WethePeople.txt. It only refers to the RIGHT kind of people, obviously.

It makes me wonder sometimes if these peoples world views would implode if they knew Rachel Maddow is a gun lover too and probably a better shot than most of them.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Skinty McEdger posted:

It makes me wonder sometimes if these peoples world views would implode if they knew Rachel Maddow is a gun lover too and probably a better shot than most of them.

poo poo, I don't like being around guns in most situations, and I know I'm a better shot than they are.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Captain Monkey posted:

Nobody actually cares. This thread is about the Oregon standoff. Make an Ask/Tell or something.

Posters make a bunch of posts about Mormons that are factually wrong or just blatant hyperbole. This is ok
Poster responds by correcting the misinformation and clearing things up. "No one cares about mormonism, you rabid nut"

when did this become GBS?

Geostomp posted:

If he's anything like the rest of them, he'd get kind of sad that his macho fantasies didn't work out, then switch gears and cry that the mean old government would dare shoot him just because he reached for a weapon after spending a month vowing to kill anyone who tried to arrest him.

I imagine the last few minutes of life he had in him he thought about two things. One the pain, and two, how he hosed up his quick draw

SocketWrench fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Feb 8, 2016

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

kartikeya posted:

https://twitter.com/jjmacnab/status/696451544506433537

Basically WethePeople.txt. It only refers to the RIGHT kind of people, obviously.

It's blatant "They don't have guns, they can't threaten and intimidate us, therefore we don't have to give a gently caress what they say."
Like. . really? guys? You're just sort of embracing the idea that the only reason you're carrying guns is to try and intimidate and terrify people into getting your way? I mean that's the only way I can read this. "They don't have guns therefore they don't matter."

Toasticle
Jul 18, 2003

Hay guys, out this Rape

kartikeya posted:

I recently mentioned Prop 8 being really lovely, but I'll try to elaborate (in a very short sort of way): yeah, it was really loving lovely.
That's splitting hairs. It was lovely, I don't agree with it, a lot of Mormons don't agree with it and also think it was lovely, and the announcement that came out in support of it also acknowledged that a lot of members weren't going to be in support of it and they should make their own political decisions (albeit, with a heavy encouragement toward supporting such measures). There are things my religion/church has done that I don't like, I don't think that's a unique position to be in for anyone in a large organized religion.

How they shuffled their books is irrelevant to the fact that they, as a church, should not be allowed to do so. Preach to your members (as murky as that is) but funding anything political should be not allowed, full stop. And not against you but I seriously doubt wiki is going to have actual insight into church finances, especially one as large as the CoLDS.

quote:

Prop 8 wasn't just a Mormon thing. It was a Catholic thing and also included a great many other denominations. That doesn't excuse the LDS church in any way, but I feel confident that an awful lot of Catholics weren't in support of it either (or, you know, Jews. Or Eastern Orthodox members. Or all evangelicals

I didn't mean to single out Mormons, all kinds of evangelical organizations were involved, I'm just not aware of them dumping as much cash as LDS did, and the fact that they were allowed despite supposedly it being a lose tax exemption thing and nobody even mentioned that happening is what pisses me off. Preach gays are evil, whatever, but you don't get to pour church money into things like prop 8, and my other point was despite how much you may disagree with what they did you can't just divorce yourself from the parts you don't like. Your church did this, you can't say well I didn't support it and have it somehow absolve you. If you are part of an organization that does this kind of poo poo then, however small, you are supporting it. I donate to the aspca, peta can go gently caress themselves with how much they waste on publicity stunts.

And don't take this me attacking you (despite you calling other people assholes), I just don't agree that you can claim you can simultaneously be a member of an organization but only the parts you agree with. If you actively try within the church to get them to stop then I can respect you for that.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

I love that he's uploading videos *during the super bowl*.

Way to read your audience, idiot.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

E-Tank posted:

It's blatant "They don't have guns, they can't threaten and intimidate us, therefore we don't have to give a gently caress what they say."
Like. . really? guys? You're just sort of embracing the idea that the only reason you're carrying guns is to try and intimidate and terrify people into getting your way? I mean that's the only way I can read this. "They don't have guns therefore they don't matter."

It's not really different than what they've been saying since this began. They've been very clear about being crazed gunmen from day one, delusions of heroism notwithstanding.

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

Toasticle posted:

Prop 8 Chat

While it's been brought up, I highly recommend '8', the play about Prop 8.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlUG8F9uVgM

It's hilarious really. It's a dramatic reading by a bunch of famous actors of the court proceedings during Prop 8, and some of the people it would have affected.

It even stars John C. Reilly as the expert witness brought in to talk about how terribad gay parents are. He kills it when he flops on the questioning.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

E-Tank posted:

While it's been brought up, I highly recommend '8', the play about Prop 8.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlUG8F9uVgM

It's hilarious really. It's a dramatic reading by a bunch of famous actors of the court proceedings during Prop 8, and some of the people it would have affected.

It even stars John C. Reilly as the expert witness brought in to talk about how terribad gay parents are. He kills it when he flops on the questioning.

John C' Reilly's part starts around 54 minutes in: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlUG8F9uVgM&t=3240s

Holy poo poo, that thing's cast is packed to the fuckin' gills.

Rick_Hunter fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Feb 8, 2016

kartikeya
Mar 17, 2009

Captain Monkey posted:

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

To be fair, it is nice to have a rabid Mormon to summon when news slows down. Its more interesting then the thread going back to the FBI too slow argument we've had since this started.

SocketWrench posted:

Posters make a bunch of posts about Mormons that are factually wrong or just blatant hyperbole. This is ok
Poster responds by correcting the misinformation and clearing things up. "No one cares about mormonism, you rabid nut"

Pretty much. I'm perfectly happy not to mention anything to do with Mormonism on any thread (it's not exactly fun and games when it comes up), unless it's already being brought up and people are either asking questions which I have the capacity to answer, or posting misinformation, which are both things that people tend to chime in on if they know better on pretty much any topic (it's one of my favorite things in D&D, I actually occasionally learn poo poo).

I'm not sure how knowing about my religion while fully acknowledging its many faults makes me rabid, but you do you, KoL.

Toasticle posted:

How they shuffled their books is irrelevant to the fact that they, as a church, should not be allowed to do so. Preach to your members (as murky as that is) but funding anything political should be not allowed, full stop. And not against you but I seriously doubt wiki is going to have actual insight into church finances, especially one as large as the CoLDS.

I didn't mean to single out Mormons, all kinds of evangelical organizations were involved, I'm just not aware of them dumping as much cash as LDS did, and the fact that they were allowed despite supposedly it being a lose tax exemption thing and nobody even mentioned that happening is what pisses me off. Preach gays are evil, whatever, but you don't get to pour church money into things like prop 8, and my other point was despite how much you may disagree with what they did you can't just divorce yourself from the parts you don't like. Your church did this, you can't say well I didn't support it and have it somehow absolve you. If you are part of an organization that does this kind of poo poo then, however small, you are supporting it. I donate to the aspca, peta can go gently caress themselves with how much they waste on publicity stunts.

And don't take this me attacking you (despite you calling other people assholes), I just don't agree that you can claim you can simultaneously be a member of an organization but only the parts you agree with. If you actively try within the church to get them to stop then I can respect you for that.

I completely agree with you. I didn't mean this to sound like I was trying to defend anything to do with Prop 8, I was simply wondering if actual tithing money was used (as that was the accusation, and I was curious because I didn't know the answer). That said, the Catholic church is having a number of schisms right now because a large, laaaarge number of Catholics don't agree with certain things that Catholic leadership do or say, but they're still Catholics. Religion is messy, organized religion especially so. It's not a club I signed up for where I can just decide to go to the one down the street with lower prices and less junk mail. That may make me a hypocrite or culpable in your eyes, and I get that. It's a valid way to look at it. But it is what it is. As far as my efforts to change things, unfortunately they're pretty limited. I'm disabled, and in a way that severely limits my ability to get out in public at all (as previously mentioned, I'm rarely able to actually attend church because of it, protesting is something I can no longer really do). Maybe that's me being a coward (hell, the disability is partly anxiety related), but again, it is what it is. I'm sorry my church pulled that poo poo, that's about all I can say.

I'm not taking it as an attack, in case I haven't already made that clear. Though, to clarify, the only person I was referring to as an rear end in a top hat was the guy calling everyone in my religion a victim like 'oh you poor dears you just can't make your own decisions'.

Geostomp posted:

Also, I would greatly urge that any further religion discussions immediately follow Zaitz's example and instead discuss pie because I'd rather debate the impact of aluminum vs steel pie pans than spend one more second on that can of worms.

I'm entirely on board with this. If anyone has further questions as relate to this incident they should feel free to ask, but otherwise I'd be over the moon to get back to laughing at idiots and talking about sugary confections.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Cherry pie is superior to apple pie.

kartikeya
Mar 17, 2009

And on topic content:

http://www.oregonlive.com/oregon-standoff/2016/02/refuge_occupier_calls_for_feds.html

quote:

He also asked the feds to leave Oregon voluntarily.

"Get the hell out of Oregon, get the hell out of all the states," Fry said. "I'm tired of you guys."

GET OUT OF ALL THE STATES FBI :frogout:

quote:

After proclaiming his right to prepare for an "onslaught," Fry approached a pickup truck with a U.S. Government license plate and got in.

"I think I'm gonna take it on a little joy ride, you know," Fry said, as he opened the door. "Yeah. Yeah. Let's start this baby up! Now you got another charge on me, FBI, I am driving your vehicle, you see this?"

"Maybe I should do a little donut in this, yeah!," Fry continued.

Fry is such an amazingly stupid man. Although I'm still worried these four are going to go actively suicidal. Right now they just seem to be passively so; expecting to get killed, possibly telling would be rescuers (not that they would have made it in) they didn't want to be rescued, and so on.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF
Most cherry pie has a weird metallic aftertaste, in my experience. Perhaps you've had better cherry pie than I have had.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Butterscotch cinnamon pie is excellent, but it's hard to get the right amount of firmness in the body of the pie.

On the bright side, our long drought is being helped by Mr. Fry, who has a whole new set of videos.

9 in all: format is title: description.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Feb 8, 2016

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

RiotGearEpsilon posted:

Most cherry pie has a weird metallic aftertaste, in my experience. Perhaps you've had better cherry pie than I have had.

Even the sugar-coated little debbie cherry pies don't have a metallic aftertaste. I don't think you're eating cherry pie if you taste something metallic unless cherries make your mouth bleed for some reason.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF

Evil Fluffy posted:

Even the sugar-coated little debbie cherry pies don't have a metallic aftertaste. I don't think you're eating cherry pie if you taste something metallic unless cherries make your mouth bleed for some reason.

Maybe it's like broccoli, where only some people can taste it? Now you've got me curious. I'll try one of those lovely Lil' Debbies sometime in the interest of science.

I'm really curious how this standoff is going to end and I look forward to discovering.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Oh my god that garbage camp.

I would write so many citations if I found a camp like that.

Like oh you're just camping? Cool even if anyone buys that patent horseshit it's still illegal as hell.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Kazak_Hstan posted:

Like oh you're just camping? Cool even if anyone buys that patent horseshit it's still illegal as hell.

Excuse me, it's "Camp Finicum"!

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Evil Fluffy posted:

Cheap canned cherries can cause this.

Perfectly Safe
May 30, 2003

no danger here.

Kazak_Hstan posted:

They're just demonstrating what the whole thing would look like if they ran it.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I really don't want to bring up the Mormon thing, but I can't help but feel some of the history relates here. Wasn't one of the reason for the extreme reaction to Mormons in the upper midwest during their exodus because they'd come into a town, say they're in charge now, and that would cause the locals to take up arms and force them out, then they'd pick up and try it in another town?

It sounds an awful lot like what they tried to do in Burns.

Best pie is Chocolate Mud Pie, followed by lemon meringue pie, then apple.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Best pie is cherry pie, like George Washington and the guy who got us started on pie chat agree.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/pdxphotoggal/status/696420738639638528

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/Rubiconski/status/696518159851847682

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/Rubiconski/status/696513148560343040

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

https://twitter.com/Lizard_of_Ahaz/status/696473979293335553

kartikeya
Mar 17, 2009

twistedmentat posted:

I really don't want to bring up the Mormon thing, but I can't help but feel some of the history relates here. Wasn't one of the reason for the extreme reaction to Mormons in the upper midwest during their exodus because they'd come into a town, say they're in charge now, and that would cause the locals to take up arms and force them out, then they'd pick up and try it in another town?

It sounds an awful lot like what they tried to do in Burns.

Best pie is Chocolate Mud Pie, followed by lemon meringue pie, then apple.

Not exactly, although you've got an idea of what the large amount of trouble was. Essentially Mormons stuck together (new religion and plenty of mob violence will have that effect), and tended to vote as a bloc. Which meant that you'd have a large and rapidly growing population (as Mormons would come from other areas because, again, new religion and lots of mob violence, there was strength and comfort in numbers) move into a county or town that could have a big impact on elections. Couple that with the fact that this was pre-Civil War era Missouri, and a lot of the Mormons moving in from other places were from Northern states and not necessarily slavery friendly. And then add in the whole 'we think your religion is blasphemy' thing. After a few times of being forced out of areas at gunpoint (often losing everything they owned, including their land) and general mob violence that killed a number of people, Mormons started getting defensive. They'd organize militias and sometimes react poorly to political figures that either spoke against them or were rumored to (there's a story at the wikipedia article I linked a page or so back about a bunch of Mormons surrounding a judge's home and demanding he sign a document disavowing any involvement with the mobs or anti-Mormon militias, resulting in him being pretty pissed off). A number of Mormons wanted to actively fight back, and eventually did in some ways. There was a 'compromise' for a bit in which Mormons were considered limited to one Missouri county, but when they started settling outside of that things heated up again and got ugly fast. Rinse and repeat in Illinois once they were forced to leave Missouri under state government threat of being killed to the last man, woman and child. A few of these settlements were built by Mormons (Nauvoo for example, and I believe Far West). They tried petitioning the federal government for help and were pretty much ignored.

I think the closest thing to what you describe was Independence Missouri and the idea church leadership had at the time of building Zion there. It was initially 'hey we'll set up here, things will be great' and kind've ballooned into 'if we're just righteous enough all these people who keep trying to kill us or drive us out will go away and we'll inherit the land' which, you know, wasn't exactly popular among non-Mormons in Missouri. You could probably make the argument that the Mormons settled on native american land and thus stole things that way, but, welp, all of America is culpable there.

TL;DR big, fast growing voting bloc, religious intolerance, defensiveness on the part of all parties involved, mob violence leading to more defensiveness leading to more defensiveness etc etc etc up until the governor of the state wrote a document that straight up said 'get the gently caress out or die'.

My favorite is French Silk pie. I'm not nearly as big a pie enthusiast as my brother was though, but my father carries on the tradition.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Kazak_Hstan posted:

~stewards of the land~

eighty-four merc
Dec 22, 2010

In 2020, we're going to make the end of Fight Club real.
Maybe someone with more legal knowledge can answer this.

Because Fry, the Andersens and Banda are part of the larger conspiracy charge, does that mean every dumbass thing Fry is documenting them doing right now can potentially be used to bury the rest of the Bundy Bunch?

If so, lmfao

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.

Discendo Vox posted:

On the bright side, our long drought is being helped by Mr. Fry, who has a whole new set of videos.

9 in all: format is title: description.

These are incredible, and as I watch them each one is the next best one but I feel that the start of the fifth one, FBI Throwing Tantrums! is just ... I just don't know what to say.

Not only does he describe a bunch of empty bottles (aka trash) placed in front of some angled large logs as a booby trap "if they're come through here we're going to hear them stepping on these", he actually has the presence of mind to deliberately step on them to make an example of the noise that will craftily reveal the FBIs approach to their heavily fortified position.

He then says that what they're doing is fortifying but that he doesn't understand how fortifying is an offence, but because of the <brief foray into gun wank session about the FBIs armoury> that they need to fortify against a superior fire power. It's like every element of this is observed independently of the situation, completely context free, and judged appropriately.

Also, Fatman is really pushing the "We did nothing wrong, we just want to go home" line constantly. I keep feeling like he is going to burst into tears, or that he does this a lot off-camera and summons the composure during a video.

markgreyam fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Feb 8, 2016

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I'm not a law expert or anything, but yeah, putting incriminating evidence on youtube is bad, and doing it while under indictment for conspiracy is bad for everyone involved.

It will probably be a factor in whatever plea deal the Bundys are offered. Not that there's good evidence they'd take one.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

SocketWrench posted:

I imagine the last few minutes of life he had in him he thought about two things. One the pain, and two, how he hosed up his quick draw

Yes, pretty much, perpetuating the idiot derail with your mythology isn't positive. The people who first started it are idiots too, but responding makes it so much worse.

Also, it's 100% pointless to argue about whether one version or the other is legitimate because they're both based on faith not reason and thus can't be objectively judged. Kartikeya could say s/he has the right of it, but objectively kartikeya has as much standing for that being true as Bundy due to the nature of religious knowledge. So who cares?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
So their Internet's not really cut off? Or were they connected for a bit for some reason, and DefendYourBase just used the opportunity to upload a buttload of videos?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

ashpanash posted:

I'm not a law expert or anything, but yeah, putting incriminating evidence on youtube is bad, and doing it while under indictment for conspiracy is bad for everyone involved.

It will probably be a factor in whatever plea deal the Bundys are offered. Not that there's good evidence they'd take one.

Unless the deal is "get your dad where we can arrest his rear end safely" or something similar the Bundy bros aren't getting offered a deal because the prosecution would need to gently caress up on a huge scale to not nail these guys.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

markgreyam posted:

Also, Fatman is really pushing the "We did nothing wrong, we just want to go home" line constantly. I keep feeling like he is going to burst into tears, or that he does this a lot off-camera and summons the composure during a video.

Dude probably does just want to go home. He's just in denial that the good option at this point is to surrender and go to federal prison for a decade.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

Lycus posted:

So their Internet's not really cut off? Or were they connected for a bit for some reason, and DefendYourBase just used the opportunity to upload a buttload of videos?

They found some working phones left behind inside one of the buildings. As far as I know all their personal phones were cut off when the FBI gave them a phone that could only be used to contact them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Hypothetically speaking, what happens if a person trips and falls over one of Fry's oh-so-clever traps? Would that potentially make things worse for Ammon as well?

• Locked thread