Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Dr_Amazing posted:

Trigger warnings are fine. 99% of the time they were on blogs for rape survivors or people who might appreciate advance warning of some types of content. Then other people saw them and said "I've never felt bad after reading about something!! What a dumb idea!"

Started off with a genuine desire to not give people panic attacks

Now we're here.

The cutest trigger warning I've ever seen on tumblr was people putting them on food because it was Ramadan at the time. :3:

RareAcumen has a new favorite as of 01:19 on Feb 7, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?
Less cute was the backlash of that where people said it was offensive to tag food for Ramadan as it implied that Muslims didn't have the restraint to not eat food if they saw photos of it.
Tumblr! :argh:

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Thin Privilege posted:

Yeah in the right context they're good. But these days for every 1 situation where it's warranted there's like 5,000 posts where it's like TW: phone! "I texted Max today!" TW: eating disorder "I ate food today!"

E: :corsair:

Is this really a thing people do? I'm not a tumblr person, but I think I've only ever come across like 4 trigger warnings in my life and they were all in places that made sense.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I appreciate it when people warn me about true stories wherein a pet gets abused or killed. I wouldn't say it's a trigger,, but it's the sort of thing that I'll randomly think about days, weeks or months later and upset myself over. :(

When I was in middle school, I was telling some kid how good my sister was at gymnastics before her back surgery. Another girl informed me that couldn't possibly be true since gymnasts are very tall and my sister was only 5'1". I would have chalked it up to an honest mistake if she hadn't interjected herself into the conversation to call me a liar.

Flyball
Apr 17, 2003

Roro posted:

There are definitely some people on there that take it way too far. I'm sure I've seen a tw for glitter.
I can see Rock and Roll, Part 2 being a trigger for certain people.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
I heard a teen at Sonic say this:

"If it wasn't for Green Day, we wouldn't have Avenged Sevenfold"

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

Dr_Amazing posted:

Is this really a thing people do? I'm not a tumblr person, but I think I've only ever come across like 4 trigger warnings in my life and they were all in places that made sense.

I'm pretty sure people mostly see them when they go looking for them in order to get mad about them. Or they see them reposted in other places by people who did just that, and see it enough to think it's more than kids and shut ins on a few random blogs.

VoteTedJameson
Jan 10, 2014

And stack the four!
"I wear a size 13 shoe, but only a size 9.5 boot"

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

why did the pomegranate picture get posted in three threads at once? it's not a new find.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

LOVE LOVE SKELETON posted:

why did the pomegranate picture get posted in three threads at once? it's not a new find.

PYF

Xythe
Aug 4, 2010

Stop getting mad at video games. No stop insulting his mother what is wrong with you.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Das Boo posted:

I appreciate it when people warn me about true stories wherein a pet gets abused or killed. I wouldn't say it's a trigger,, but it's the sort of thing that I'll randomly think about days, weeks or months later and upset myself over. :(

When I was in middle school, I was telling some kid how good my sister was at gymnastics before her back surgery. Another girl informed me that couldn't possibly be true since gymnasts are very tall and my sister was only 5'1". I would have chalked it up to an honest mistake if she hadn't interjected herself into the conversation to call me a liar.

I had some random girl on campus tell me I was lying about having been to France because it doesn't touch the Mediterranean. American education system at work right there.

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

This isn't Middle Earth, Quentin. There aren't enough noble quests to go around.

Len posted:

I had some random girl on campus tell me I was lying about having been to France because it doesn't touch the Mediterranean. American education system at work right there.

Heh, I had something similar happen when I spoke of being on the beach in Tel Aviv. He said that the no Middle Eastern countries are in Europe, so they can't touch the Mediterranean Sea :smuggo:

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
One time I was in line on a busy day at an icecream place. There were some teens behind me chatting, and one girl pipes up with "Man, if I were a boy, I'd have no reason to use toilet paper ever again..."

I'm just standing with my back to her all :stonklol:

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy

Choco1980 posted:

One time I was in line on a busy day at an icecream place. There were some teens behind me chatting, and one girl pipes up with "Man, if I were a boy, I'd have no reason to use toilet paper ever again..."

Makes you wonder how long it's been.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Who needs a bidet when you have a built in hose?

Pannus
Mar 14, 2004

Sentient Data posted:

Who needs a bidet when you have a built in hose?

this isn't the lifehacks thread

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

Choco1980 posted:

Maybe she just has great bowel control and only does it before showering? Oh who am I kidding, it's a swamp down there. :gonk:

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Dr_Amazing posted:

I think I've heard 50 people bitch about trigger warnings for every trigger warning I've actually seen. But then I don't hang out in PTSD/rape/whatever survivor forums or tumblr.

AbysmalPeptoBismol
Feb 5, 2016

Nausea, heartburn, indigestion, upset stomach, diarrhea!

Intoluene posted:

Maybe she just has great bowel control and only does it before showering? Oh who am I kidding, it's a swamp down there. :gonk:

imagine placing a Baby Ruth candy bar in your pocket prior to a couple mile hike. In August. In Alabama.
Now imagine reaching into said pocket.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

AbysmalPeptoBismol posted:

imagine placing a Baby Ruth candy bar in your pocket prior to a couple mile hike. In August. In Alabama.

Goddamn

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

A thing on Tumblr is an addon called Tumblr Savior where you can blacklist posts that contain a certain word, for example "homestuck", so if you ask someone to please tag your ____ posts it doesn't necessarily mean "this traumatizes me" but more like "I want to not see this thing so please tag it because I think it's dumb or it pisses me off or you post about it fifty times a day" instead.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Mouse Dresser posted:

Heh, I had something similar happen when I spoke of being on the beach in Tel Aviv. He said that the no Middle Eastern countries are in Europe, so they can't touch the Mediterranean Sea :smuggo:

With this and the other post, I don't understand. Why is it important to touch the Mediterranean Sea? What is the point? :psyduck:

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

AbysmalPeptoBismol posted:

Somehow, the fact that I don't know what a Babe Ruth is isn't necessary for this mental image. :stonklol:

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

With this and the other post, I don't understand. Why is it important to touch the Mediterranean Sea? What is the point? :psyduck:

Most Americans are incredibly dense when it comes to geography, and fail to realize large bodies of water tend to have multiple sides to them. I'm sure most believe that the Mediterranean is bordered by Italy, Greece, and nothing.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Travis343 posted:

A thing on Tumblr is an addon called Tumblr Savior where you can blacklist posts that contain a certain word, for example "homestuck", so if you ask someone to please tag your ____ posts it doesn't necessarily mean "this traumatizes me" but more like "I want to not see this thing so please tag it because I think it's dumb or it pisses me off or you post about it fifty times a day" instead.

tbf homestuck triggers all right-thinking people.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Intoluene posted:

Somehow, the fact that I don't know what a Babe Ruth is isn't necessary for this mental image. :stonklol:

It's an O'Henry style chocolate bar, except named after a baseball player. Looks like a turd.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Arcsquad12 posted:

It's an O'Henry style chocolate bar, except named after a baseball player. Looks like a turd.

Baby ruth's supposedly not named for babe ruth https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baby_Ruth

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

It's such a bullshit story to save face from litigation.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Benny the Snake posted:

I wanted to answer this question more in-depth here.

I became a Seattle fan not after Super Bowl 48 but Super Bowl 49-after seeing their humiliating defeat against the Patriots because of that terrible play and interception at the last second. It was a heart breaker, but I fell in love with how well they played. It also helps that Seattle is a city where a lot of what I love originated from (Hendrix, Cobain, Pearl Jam, Neuromancer and the Cyberpunk genre, Bill Nye the Science Guy, Starbucks). This was the first football season I've ever followed and following the Hawks was amazing, especially in week 17 when I won a hoodie off a bet-that was the moment where I became both a member and believer of the 12s.

To see Cam Newton run us over in the divisional round was one thing. To see him do so when it was clear that his team was over-depending on him was another. What really made me salty, and boy howdy was I full of :salt:, was the simple fact that he compared himself to Superman. How he kept wearing Superman shirts and also how his home field played the John Williams theme. This became nerd rage, and I wanted to see Batman beat Superman. Russel Wilson wasn't Batman and going into this game I was hoping Peyton would be. It turned out Von Miller was the Dark Knight, as he was sacking and pressuring Cam was glorious. This little internal narrative of mine was helped by the constant ad presence for Batman V Superman.

Congrats, Broncos and Von Miller. Congrats for avenging us. Here's looking forward to my team's 40th season :hawksin:

PS: If you're reading Febreeze, I'd like to see a comic where Cam Newton as Superman has the MVP sack-stripped from him by Von Miller as Batman.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

I was gonna yell at you for not putting that in the Quotes thread but lo and behold!

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Alaois posted:

I was gonna yell at you for not putting that in the Quotes thread but lo and behold!

It qualifies for both threads, I think.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.
"Oh yeah, I'm part Native American too."
"Really, what tribe?"
"Ojibway. Largely Canadian, but my great-grandmother was born on a reservation in the south."
"...but you said Native American."

The woman is really nice but kind of dumb, and the rest of us at the table spent ten minutes gently explaining to her that "Native American" referred to all of the Americas, not just U.S.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Maggie Fletcher posted:

"Oh yeah, I'm part Native American too."
"Really, what tribe?"
"Ojibway. Largely Canadian, but my great-grandmother was born on a reservation in the south."
"...but you said Native American."

The woman is really nice but kind of dumb, and the rest of us at the table spent ten minutes gently explaining to her that "Native American" referred to all of the Americas, not just U.S.

To be fair doesn't Canada refer to them as the First Nations? I've heard Native Canadians thrown around in the past too.

Of course that woman probably wouldn't have known that either

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009

Aesop Poprock posted:

To be fair doesn't Canada refer to them as the First Nations? I've heard Native Canadians thrown around in the past too.

No, she wouldn't have. And being that I'm not Canadian myself, it would have been weird to refer to myself as Native Canadian or First Nations (oh god, doing so would have led to a loooong explanation and a blank stare).

In her defense, she waited around for me to get done with something so we could have dinner and was really hungry, and drinking while she waited to eat. It was just weird that she was the only person at the table to not understand the reference.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Isn't that an 'Oh, Henry' bar?

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Thought of another one (though there's a fair chance this was just a really stupid, unfunny joke):

"How's your week so far?"
"Good. I just started training in krav maga."
"What's that?"
"Israeli street fighting."
"So you're Jewish now?"

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Aesop Poprock posted:

"First Nations" should replace "Native American" altogether, it's much less awkward.

And I can't wait until "Indian" is never used for anything except the country of 1.1 billion in southern Asia.

luloo123
Aug 25, 2008
Said by a college-aged student at a school where I used to teach: "Oh, I never pay to do my laundry. I just wear my clothes in the shower!"

I'd like to think that she was joking, but it's been seven years and I still remember the smell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

Woolie Wool posted:

"First Nations" should replace "Native American" altogether, it's much less awkward.

And I can't wait until "Indian" is never used for anything except the country of 1.1 billion in southern Asia.

Dont quite a few native americans refer to themselves as indian and not really give a poo poo?

• Locked thread