Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Cactrot posted:

Was PT:ROE the caw blade one? Because it does seem similar.

Look at you, missing the joke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Niton posted:

Chalice is fine. The problem cards in Eldrazi are Eldrazi Temple, Eye of Ugin, and (arguably) Simian Spirit Guide and Thought-Knot Seer.

I agree; Chalice is only so much better because of the lands enabling it.

I'm still in the camp of "Don't ban SSG" as it would indirectly be banning out Modern Ad Nauseam, but that's JMO.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
I think the clear solution to making modern cool is to print this in Shadows of Innistrad:

Null Trepane {1}

Artifact

Nonbasic lands are Wastes

4 : Destroy Null Trepane and discard a card. Any player may play this ability.

There we go, an incentive to not go dumb as poo poo with your mana and to play some basics.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

rabidsquid posted:

The remaining combo is way too slow. If I was going to try to beat the Eldrazi decks I think I would be on Bogles.

Planning on having the perfect two sideboard cards before they can dump their hand is not remotely realistic

Storm almost is fast enough if not for the whole they'll probably strip you of a card you really need t2.

BizarroAzrael posted:

Someone on Reddit raised an interesting suggestion for a hoser for Eye- Painter's Servant. It was suggested for Affinity sideboards but I've long wanted to brew around it.

to cute imo. Plus gut shot is going to be a weird pet card for a little while. The problem with this deck is how anti-meta do you have to go? Like I guess if we start running that weird Abzan deck that had wilt-leaf and loxodon that was designed to metagame jund

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

jassi007 posted:

Storm almost is fast enough if not for the whole they'll probably strip you of a card you really need t2.

to cute imo. Plus gut shot is going to be a weird pet card for a little while. The problem with this deck is how anti-meta do you have to go? Like I guess if we start running that weird Abzan deck that had wilt-leaf and loxodon that was designed to metagame jund

Gut shot doesn't really deal with a 1/3 although their stack of dismembers and warping wails certainly deal with the soft-as-hell 1/3 that Makes Them Play Their 4/4s On Turn 4.

I feel like Burn with Mark of Mutiny / Act of Treason type effects is going to be pretty good against them? Like, you get basically two turns to hit them hard, then you mark of mutiny their guy and swing them down to single bolt range.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Sigma-X posted:

Gut shot doesn't really deal with a 1/3 although their stack of dismembers and warping wails certainly deal with the soft-as-hell 1/3 that Makes Them Play Their 4/4s On Turn 4.

I feel like Burn with Mark of Mutiny / Act of Treason type effects is going to be pretty good against them? Like, you get basically two turns to hit them hard, then you mark of mutiny their guy and swing them down to single bolt range.

woops, for some reason i thought he was a 1/1.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Sigma-X posted:

This is a good idea, but the best Mark of Mutiny effect in the format is on an Eldrazi :v:

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
They're not banning anything but Eye and Temple, in my opinion. They don't necessarily need to ban both, but they likely will because they don't want to risk but going far enough and having three more months of lovely Modern, and don't want the taboo of an emergency ban if it turns out they need it to save an entire format.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Sigma-X posted:

I think the clear solution to making modern cool is to print this in Shadows of Innistrad:

Null Trepane {1}

Artifact

There we go, an incentive to not go dumb as poo poo with your mana and to play some basics.

The gently caress did eternal formats do to you and why do you hate them?

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

I like how we aren't going to see the actual effects of the Twin ban for months, and quite possibly much longer. I would actually like to see them unban Twin and see how it has virtually no impact on the Eldrazi juggernaut :v:

Speaking of Juggernaut, some pro on twitter said and I totally agree with this, but this Eldrazi deck makes the Ancestral Vision ban look like the old Juggernaut ban.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Hi

I have a modern affinity deck (identical to the one that got 3rd)

how do I sell it, piece by piece or (ideally) all in one go?

Part of me wants to get back into modern but man, getting at least $700 would be rad.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Sigma-X posted:

Null Trepane {1}

Artifact

Yes, this is the way to solve the problem of colorless eldrazi overrunning modern: a card that says decks other than colorless eldrazi, affinity, and burn aren't allowed to cast spells until turn 5.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
e^: it was a joke card but it would be an interesting monkey wrench to the format. Right now the mana in Modern is completely retarded without a wasteland option and wasteland is never going to happen in modern. I think if it was 2 it would still be playable and would force people to fetch basics and not play greedy 3+ mana bases all the time for fringe benefits

Mortimer posted:

Hi

I have a modern affinity deck (identical to the one that got 3rd)

how do I sell it, piece by piece or (ideally) all in one go?

Part of me wants to get back into modern but man, getting at least $700 would be rad.

You will maximize your return by parting it out. It will be faster but you will take probably a 50%+ loss off of tcgplayer low / ebay BIN low by selling the whole deck.

If you don't have a tcgplayer account already then I would not recommend getting one going for selling off one deck.

This leaves a few options:

For reference:
PWE shipping is ~70-80c. A stamp is 49c. Buy a box of envelopes at the dollar tree, they'll compete with the best bulk rates on amazon at 3-4c/envelop. I assume you have hard cases and sleeves already, but if you don't, buy some on amazon if you have prime or check out walmart/target/etc and expect to pay 10c each or 15c each if you're getting piped. PWE can hold two hard cases and about 10 cards before you start running into weight concerns, in which case you can just slap another stamp on it. Hand address the envelopes and you reduce concerns about machine sorting eating your envelope.

Tracking/padded mailer is going to cost about $2.50-$3. it's 50c cheaper to buy tracking labels through paypal here, otherwise add 50c if you want the convenience of going to the post office and not printing labels yourself:
https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_ship-now

and then print them yourself (just tape the sheet of paper to the mailer completely so it can't come off and make sure you're printing it in black ink, that's about as cheap as you can get. I printed one blue once when I ran out of printer ink over the weekend and while it arrived it never got scanned anywhere until dropoff). Mailers can be as cheap as 10c on amazon if you buy in bulk but again the dollar store is probably your best bet, because target/walmart/staples are going to crank this up to like 50c a mailer easy.

FIRST OPTION:
craigslist, facebook, and this very forum: These are easy ways to sell without fees outside of paypal's 3%. You can ask for gift payments/cash through facebook/craigslist, but not through SA. The flip side is people will be looking for 10% off of tcgplayer/ebay minimum, and the total fees for tcgplayer/ebay are ~12-13% (50c+11-12%), so it may be more of a hassle. on SA where you have vetted buyers/sellers and can't use paypal gift, taking the 3% paypal merchant fee (or asking for +3% on top of sale prices) is fine. Outside of that, to avoid scammers, I would ask for paypal gift. If you do paypal merchant, use tracking so they can't gently caress you.

For these formats, I would list the whole decklist and say you're parting it out and ask for offers. After 2-3 days, take the best offers if they compare favorably to ebay/tcgplayer low. You will sell about half of the deck this way and get stuck most likely with a giant pile of the poo poo that everyone has (skirges, darksteel citadels, etc) and have like 10 offers on the ravagers/glimmervoids.

SECOND OPTION:
ebay: post a bunch of ads with a single picture, each one being the deck's playset (ie, if the deck plays 3, list 3x CRAPWAFFLE), as Buy It Nows with 0 shipping. This is where you will move the poo poo that didn't sell. Shipping is retarded, don't bother listing it (and just don't ship outside your country, because international is a whole kettle of expense and scams and poo poo that isn't worth the hassle), because everyone can sort the BINS by cost+shipping lowest, which means that your $60+20 shipping is still going to be lower on the list than the $79.99 FREE SHIPPING guy, so just figure it in and don't bother loving around. Search for the same thing you're selling, find the cheapest listing, copy their general listing information as your template (ie, make sure you're listing set, quantity, card name, magic the gathering, card quality, etc in the listing), and price your poo poo a cent cheaper than their listing and make a sale ASAP. There is no point in loving around with auctions (you make less money unless it's a card that is rare/quality matters like $200+ cards) and grouping cards by playset is going to get you less per card but only require one package for shipping which will save you money on the shipping margins (spending $3 x 4 to sell 4 copies at $10/ea versus spending $3x 1 to sell 4 copies at $35 is still putting you ahead $4) and will save you the hassle of 75 loving orders.

THIRD OPTION:
Take this poo poo to your local store, nicely sorted and with a list of cards you want and a general understanding of what other value cards/easy to move cards there are that are available in the recent sets at the $1/$2/$3/$5 ranges and trade your cards for their cards. Using tcg mid on everything will make cheaper cards worth more proportionately than expensive cards, so use that when trading up and use tcg low when trading down and possibly look for additional value as they're turning their tiny chaff into big easy to move cards. Don't expect gains of more than 15%-20% tops and you won't be taking so much value that people will not want to trade with you in the future. Trading used to be fun for me but now as I'm older and have less time I don't like binder grinding like this and just prefer the cash game, especially since I like to turn my cards into non-cards a lot more now.

Oh, and of course, before you begin, don't forget to make a :

to the #mtgfinance gods

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

BizarroAzrael posted:

I would have liked BW/Heartless Eldrazi to have had more of a change to shine. Any chance it's Mimic or Seer that catches the ban and those flavours could get a shot at a big-name event?

Maybe Seer but the winning deck shows that Eye/Temple are powerful enough to make a top-tier deck out of limited fodder. If anything eats a ban then 99% chance it's one of the lands.

Edit: Or maybe chalice

little munchkin fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Feb 8, 2016

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

BJPaskoff posted:

They're not banning anything but Eye and Temple, in my opinion. They don't necessarily need to ban both, but they likely will because they don't want to risk but going far enough and having three more months of lovely Modern, and don't want the taboo of an emergency ban if it turns out they need it to save an entire format.

Eye is fine. Temple isn't.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Sigma-X posted:

FIRST OPTION:
craigslist, facebook, and this very forum: These are easy ways to sell without fees outside of paypal's 3%. You can ask for gift payments/cash through facebook/craigslist, but not through SA. The flip side is people will be looking for 10% off of tcgplayer/ebay minimum, and the total fees for tcgplayer/ebay are ~12-13% (50c+11-12%), so it may be more of a hassle. on SA where you have vetted buyers/sellers and can't use paypal gift, taking the 3% paypal merchant fee (or asking for +3% on top of sale prices) is fine. Outside of that, to avoid scammers, I would ask for paypal gift. If you do paypal merchant, use tracking so they can't gently caress you.

For reference, GWallet (US only as far as I am aware) is google's attempt to take a cut of the PayPal market and has no fees. It's getting pretty popular in the buying/selling thread here.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

mcmagic posted:

Eye of Ugin can be worth 5 mana by itself* on turn 3.

*Okay this does require an Urborg otherwise it's only worth 4 mana

edit: Both lands are required for the t2 kill but Eye can cast 6 mana worth of dudes on turn 1.

rabidsquid fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Feb 8, 2016

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

mcmagic posted:

Eye is most certainly not fine. It is 1000% more broken than Temple.

Temple can never make more than 2 mana a turn. Eye technically makes 2 mana for each spell you cast in these decks.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Chalice has had a healthy place in Modern as a hate/sideboard card for basically as long as Modern has existed.

Eye of Ugin has done nothing in Modern until it suddenly became able to pay for 4 mana in a single turn.

I dunno, I think I might be able to guess which is going to eat the ban.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Seriously Eye + SSG + Urborg lets you cast two four drops on turn 3 on the play. And again, it also allows you to play out three two drops on the first turn.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

rabidsquid posted:

Eye of Ugin can be worth 5 mana by itself* on turn 3.

*Okay this does require an Urborg otherwise it's only worth 4 mana

edit: Both lands are required for the t2 kill but Eye can cast 6 mana worth of dudes on turn 1.

Yeah but it's legendary and doesn't tap for mana by itself. It at least has some cost to playing it and isn't a straight up sol ring.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Eye of Ugin has done nothing in Modern until it suddenly became able to pay for 4 mana in a single turn.

That's not true, it was an integral part of one of the format's tier 1.5 decks, RG Tron.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Chalice has had a healthy place in Modern as a hate/sideboard card for basically as long as Modern has existed.

I dunno, I think I might be able to guess which is going to eat the ban.

Eye is a significant part of why Tron has such a good long game.

Anyone who thinks Chalice should/will be banned has no idea what they're talking about.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Even if banning Eye somehow totally killed RG Tron you could transition over to Blue Tron and Treasure Mage can do a shabby impersonation.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Chamale posted:

That's not true, it was an integral part of one of the format's tier 1.5 decks, RG Tron.

Okay, fair enough. Still, Eye of Ugin isn't going to stop being ridiculous just because Chalice goes away, but get rid of Eye of Ugin and Chalice goes back to where it was before.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

rabidsquid posted:

Even if banning Eye somehow totally killed RG Tron you could transition over to Blue Tron and Treasure Mage can do a shabby impersonation.

This is the world I want to live in.

mcmagic posted:

Yeah but it's legendary and doesn't tap for mana by itself. It at least has some cost to playing it and isn't a straight up sol ring.

6 mana worth of creatures on turn 1 is fine. 2 mana worth of creatures on turn 1? Way too good

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

mcmagic posted:

I'm pretty sure that if Eye of Ugin straight up said "DISCARD A CARD WHEN YOU PLAY THIS", the Eldrazi deck would play like eight. It's a super Medallion and that makes risking having an extra copy waiting in hand for when the first gets Ghost Quartered or Fulminatored a perfectly acceptable risk.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
So did they announce anything about the supplemental product for this year

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

suicidesteve posted:

This is the world I want to live in.

I love both Treasure and Trinket Mage so I think Mono Blue Tron is way more fun. Plus you can play with Platinum Angel and Sundering Titan! It's a really delightful deck full of goofy cards I thoroughly enjoy.

Plus I ran a goofy rear end variant win con sideboard Blighted Agent/Contagion Engine for value.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
After the last two blocks have introduced huge (if fleeting) shifts to eternal format metagames, maybe Wizards will start playtesting with eternal formats in mind! :shepface:

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Literally The Worst posted:

So did they announce anything about the supplemental product for this year

They didn't announce poo poo except for some changes to the World Magic Cup, which they flubbed hard twice.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

suicidesteve posted:

Eye is a significant part of why Tron has such a good long game.
Maybe more tron players will use the mindslaver lock like I do now that there's a land slot for academy ruins. Talk about lategame: the full on crucible, 2x academy, expedition map, mindslaver package is extremely resilient.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Star Man posted:

Look at you, missing the joke.

I saw that, but was hoping for more cleverness than I found :shrug:

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Well if a ban happens, I hope it doesn't hit both eye and temple then. I think the deck should still be allowed to exist in some form. Kill one of the lands and make heartless eldrazi the go to option.

Played against a rw lockdown deck online complete with main deck blood moons, leylines, bridges and wraths. Guess people are already starting to brew some type of answers.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

C-Euro posted:

After the last two blocks have introduced huge (if fleeting) shifts to eternal format metagames, maybe Wizards will start playtesting with eternal formats in mind! :shepface:
I mean the vast majority of players at the PT didn't notice this one, I doubt WotC's much smaller internal testing unit would have flagged it as broken.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Hellsau posted:

They didn't announce poo poo except for some changes to the World Magic Cup, which they flubbed hard twice.

Fantastic

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Weren't the four maindeck chalices more of a PT thing; the deck being able to capitalize on the element of surprise fully because the deck itself was new?

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

It's also the expected matchups- If you think the field is going to be heavily in on affinity, burn, and infect, chalice is an amazing tool to beat them. CFB correctly predicted that the (non-eldrazi) field would be dominated by these decks.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

sarmhan posted:

It's also the expected matchups- If you think the field is going to be heavily in on affinity, burn, and infect, chalice is an amazing tool to beat them. CFB correctly predicted that the (non-eldrazi) field would be dominated by these decks.

And maybe (capital M maybe) undervalued their own deck's strength. Lots of differences, of course, and not trying to imply too much, but Tao's maindeck is much more focused on its own gameplan instead of getting fancy with screwing their opponents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anglachel
May 28, 2012

mcmagic posted:

No it's better than Sol Ring, it basically says "Tap for 2 mana, untap this everytime you play an eldrazi spell". If you get Urborg into play it's literally Eldrazi Workshops. And the 4 of isn't even a detriment cause your opponent is gonna try to kill it asap so replacements are a good thing, unless they are on the blood moon plan which means they are okay in multiples for a different reason.

That said just banning Temple might be enough to slow down the deck that it's just a tier 1/1.5 deck instead of walking all over modern as is currently. I mean when people are seriously talking about a deck being ported into Legacy with the addition of like 10 cards (4 wastelands, 4 ancient tombs, and a couple of city of traitors) you know you have a busted rear end deck. Play testing is already showing it beats the poo poo out of miracles (though legacy has more sideboard options to address this deck).

That said what will get banned will depend a lot on how prevalent the deck is. If it stays at this win rate it's gonna get a multi card ban, if it gets slightly less better it's either gonna lose Eye or Temple (maybe both but Simian gets spared).

anglachel fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Feb 8, 2016

• Locked thread