Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A SWEATY FATBEARD
Oct 6, 2012

:buddy: GAY 4 ORGANS :buddy:

dustbin posted:

No way, where does a bed supposed to go? Sleep on the hideaway couch?

There is enough room for a generic bed (this is probably why Susan moved the furniture around, only to give up halfway through when her mom broke her hip)

The couch actually unfolds into an ENORMOUS bed for two. Since Mario is very tall at 7ft, this bed is particularly suitable for him. Also, the couch is a lot softer than you'd expect. Awesome kid spent six years sleeping on that couch/bed and I haven't received a single complaint from him. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zymurgy
Feb 16, 2011

So if I picked up and moved to Croatia from the US could I rent your apartment? What are some fun things to do in the neighborhood? How many bomb shelters are nearby?

A SWEATY FATBEARD
Oct 6, 2012

Zymurgy posted:

So if I picked up and moved to Croatia from the US could I rent your apartment?

Provided that the apartment is vacant at the moment, I see no reason why not.

Zymurgy posted:

What are some fun things to do in the neighborhood?

There's a gym, a small stadium and a large shopping mall with a movie theatre. Coincidentally, that's one of my favorite places to dumpster dive and bum cigs. :)

Zymurgy posted:

How many bomb shelters are nearby?

I'm not aware of any in the immediate vicinity, but the tower itself is built to survive a bomb shock wave, the thing is literally built like a bunker. Outside walls are 17cm of serious concrete, and the load bearing walls are even thicker. Good luck if you want to hang a picture on the wall, you need a punching drill just to make a small hole for the anchor w/screw, and even then, the concrete will send sparks flying.

I paid extra for the AC unit which can both cool and heat the air. The building uses steam heating, being hooked up directly to the power plant. I'm not sure about the details, but for the heating season to start, I think the temperature has to be below 10C for three days in a row before they plug in the heating. This means that literally every autumn, you'll be freezing your bollocks off for a few cold days before the power plant hooks you up with steam. I deliberately bought a heating AC so the tenants wouldn't be tempted to use various rinky-dink space heaters or blowers, as these things range from "questionable" all the way to "a spectacular fire hazard."

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
That flat would go for about £500 here.

What sort of industries are in your area? Where do people work?

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

It's a great place to live.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

You're around Zagreb right?

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
After everything that ASF has told you guys about the economic and social climate of Croatia, you want to move there?

steady
Feb 28, 2011
Pillbug
While economically Croatia is in dumps, it has a relaxed, laid-back atmosphere. If nothing else, you could always go sight-seeing.

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

:love::love::love:
Split and the coast in general was very beautiful and I had a good time there but Zagreb was depressing and I can't even remember what we did there. Thankfully, we were only there for like 2 and a half days.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

quote:

...And I don't know why this chair is over here.

I bet I do

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

After everything that ASF has told you guys about the economic and social climate of Croatia, you want to move there?
If someone had a fully remote job I could see it or like an artist paid through online commissions or something.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

ITT goons discover an interest in geo-arbitrage. "You mean I could move to eastern Europe for almost nothing and have a landlord who lives off beer, bread, scrounged cigarettes, and expired meds?!"

This took me a second. Good times.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I'm currently couch surfing at an old East German apartment, and all the kitchen fittings are eerily similar to those in the video.

A SWEATY FATBEARD
Oct 6, 2012

Chas McGill posted:

What sort of industries are in your area? Where do people work?

Today, most people are employed in small businesses and other white collar jobs. Other eastern bloc countries have long since moved on, but Croatia is still stuck in 1990s economic chaos. Heavy industry took a lot of damage, and metalworking, machine building and textile sectors were practically obliterated.
Interestingly, almost the whole railway industry in the former Yugoslavia was located in Croatia - Zagreb has no less than TWO locomotive factories. Another one is located in Slavonski Brod, where among locomotives, they also built T-55 tank clones. We made an absolute fortune building and selling tanks, our biggest customer being the man himself, Saddam Hussein. :D

Zagreb today is a post-industrial hellhole suffering from extreme urban decay. As the town grew in size, old factories - most of which were built before WWII - became engulfed and trapped by newly constructed tenement buildings. The land prices steadily grew - especially during the 90s when they practically skyrocketed - so it was economical to tear down the old factories, fire off a whole army of employees, sell off the land, and then build something else in that plot.
This sort of thing wouldn't fly today in 2016, but I suppose everything was possible in the 1990s, when extreme corruption and sleazy business practices were a norm.

The factories that survived were located on the absolute outskirts of the town where land was dirt cheap. Examples being "Kraš", a chocolate factory, and "Pliva", a pharmaceuticals factory. Azithromycin, one of the most powerful antibiotics we have today, was discovered and developed at Pliva.

HoAssHo posted:

Split and the coast in general was very beautiful and I had a good time there but Zagreb was depressing and I can't even remember what we did there. Thankfully, we were only there for like 2 and a half days.

You are correct, Zagreb has little to nothing to offer, unless you're interested in urban decay and (decaying) brutalist architecture. Every summer I'm seeing foreign tourists walking around with their maps and backpacks and stuff, and literally all of them look lost and disappointed. I always get this urge to apologize to them for coming to Zagreb.

If you ask me, Zagreb is only good to spend a night's rest in a cheap hostel before embarking on a journey to the coast. Zagreb is like a stereotypical annoying water cooler guy who is desperate for 10 minutes of your attention and doesn't realize that he's getting the negative kind of attention. Thus the secondhand shame I feel upon seeing the tourists.

Fruits of the sea posted:

I'm currently couch surfing at an old East German apartment, and all the kitchen fittings are eerily similar to those in the video.

Well there are certain differences in construction quality, but in general terms, commieblocks tend to look the same from Eastern Berlin all the way to Pyongyang, and Zagreb is no exception. Even the trams are the same (Czech-built Tatra T4.)

Gmaz
Apr 3, 2011

New DLC for Aoe2 is out: Dynasties of India

A SWEATY FATBEARD posted:

You are correct, Zagreb has little to nothing to offer, unless you're interested in urban decay and (decaying) brutalist architecture. Every summer I'm seeing foreign tourists walking around with their maps and backpacks and stuff, and literally all of them look lost and disappointed. I always get this urge to apologize to them for coming to Zagreb.
Come on, it's not that bad. Have you not visited the city centre in years?

Although one thing that Croats are the champions of is negative thinking and incessant self criticism. So, eh I'd take what he says with a grain of salt.

A SWEATY FATBEARD
Oct 6, 2012

Gmaz posted:

Come on, it's not that bad. Have you not visited the city centre in years?

Although one thing that Croats are the champions of is negative thinking and incessant self criticism. So, eh I'd take what he says with a grain of salt.

I spent 27 years of my life living next door to the Sheraton Zagreb hotel, and I hightailed it outta there at the first opportunity, in 2013. I know what I'm talking about.
Within a 5 minute walk from the Sheraton hotel, you can see the following:
-Uniformly black buildings from decades upon decades of smog
-Collapsing facades, with bits of masonry falling upon the sidewalks from decades of neglect
-An abandoned construction site with a huge excavated pit, now full of rainwater and a prime breeding spot for a horde of mosquitoes
-In Branimirova street, halfway between Sheraton and the railway station, scaffolding underneath a collapsing balcony. The scaffolding is erected not because the balcony is under repair, but to catch the whole thing when it finally comes tumbling down
-Abandoned mom&pop stores, empty since the advent of large shopping malls
-To add an insult to an injury, all the buildings in that area are caked with a preposterous amount of graffiti.

Since I moved to the suburbs, I feel practically reborn.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
That's interesting, and a shame.

My only knowledge of Croatia outside this thread is football related.

A SWEATY FATBEARD
Oct 6, 2012

Oh, forgot to add one thing, there's a railway depot nearby, where they refuel Diesel locomotives every morning between three and four AM. The stink of diesel fuel and sulfur is nothing short of astounding, especially during the summer.

Gmaz
Apr 3, 2011

New DLC for Aoe2 is out: Dynasties of India
The center and upper city have a nice atmosphere, there's a bunch of parks, abandoned mom&pop stores are now hipster crafty places and graffiti are a pretty normal occurence in many places in the world and contrary to your description it is much much cleaner than even most of the bigger cities in the west. You're looking at it through a very negative lense.

Living in the centre isn't the same as tourists that visit some place, it's not like they'll go actively searching for lovely spots. Hell I wouldn't want to live in the center either, but more because of noise than anything. It's really not nearly as bad as you think, living in some place and the negativity that surrounds you can really make you lose the perspective though, so I understand.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

i watched that video and all I can see is

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Gmaz posted:

You're looking at it through a very negative lense.

Almost like the OP suffers from depression and addiction issues

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

This sort of thing wouldn't fly today in 2016, but I suppose everything was possible in the 1990s, when extreme corruption and sleazy business practices were a norm.

I thought we established that Croatia was one big Ponzi scheme.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
So I wouldn't want to get a job there, but I do have a good amount of $ saved up, and FB here has cheap rent... Are Croatian women attractive? Can I get by speaking only English? :allears:

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

This is really all you need to know about Eastern Europe.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Saros posted:

That's exactly the scene that came to mind when goons started wondering if they should move to Croatia. Even if you could manage to get a residence permit there (you can't just show up and say "this is my new country now" without work lined up), why would you want to?

Zymurgy
Feb 16, 2011

Captain Yossarian posted:

So I wouldn't want to get a job there, but I do have a good amount of $ saved up, and FB here has cheap rent... Are Croatian women attractive? Can I get by speaking only English? :allears:

Why not get a job as a janitor? I hear you can get some swag beer/chocolates.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
hey fatbeard how many square meters is that apartment

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Murphy Brownback posted:

That's exactly the scene that came to mind when goons started wondering if they should move to Croatia. Even if you could manage to get a residence permit there (you can't just show up and say "this is my new country now" without work lined up), why would you want to?

Lowered expectations are a goon's bread and butter.

A SWEATY FATBEARD
Oct 6, 2012

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

hey fatbeard how many square meters is that apartment

Surface area is 24.83m2, but it feels a lot larger.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

ASF is that square footage common in croatian apartments? That's quite small where I live in Canada, though ~100 euros per hundred feet is a pretty reasonable I guess, with the place being furnished.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Saros posted:

I don't get it, they act like it's a comedy but what they show is a documentary?

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

Saros posted:

And funny enough, the guy who talks to the group is Croatian actor Rade Šerbedžija.

steady
Feb 28, 2011
Pillbug
ASF, how many spoiled western goons can you squeeze in 25 square metres? They need to learn how it feels to live in tight spaces.

A SWEATY FATBEARD
Oct 6, 2012

NotAnArtist posted:

ASF is that square footage common in croatian apartments? That's quite small where I live in Canada, though ~100 euros per hundred feet is a pretty reasonable I guess, with the place being furnished.

Studios generally range from 17m2 to 30m2. When I was buying an apartment, I checked out one 21m2 apartment that didn't have a real kitchen (everything was stuffed in the 'lobby') and the bathroom was so small that you had to squeeze in sideways to get to the toilet. The dealbreaker was the fact that the building didn't have a gas installation, so you had to cook with electricity. I love cooking, so an electric stove was a no-go since electricity is prohibitively expensive.

Apartments are generally small in Croatia, because building stuff is expensive. It's easy to build an enormous house in America, but as a rule, they're built out of really lovely materials such as wood, while bricks/cinderblocks are generally reserved only for the foundation.
If you want a lot of space in Croatia, you get a house. These are usually built out of bricks. While it's possible to build large, four bedroom apartments in Croatia - and I know of several apartment blocks with such apartments - the price would've been astronomical, due to sheer amount of concrete and rebar being used.

steady posted:

ASF, how many spoiled western goons can you squeeze in 25 square metres? They need to learn how it feels to live in tight spaces.

Back when my aunts came from Germany, there were three of us squeezed in a 25m2 studio. It was borderline okay, provided that none of you snores loudly.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

It's easy to build an enormous house in America, but as a rule, they're built out of really lovely materials such as wood, while bricks/cinderblocks are generally reserved only for the foundation.
If you want a lot of space in Croatia, you get a house. These are usually built out of bricks.

I grew up in a brick house in cape town. Brick is great. Since I left , in the places I've lived (I live in the USA now) everything is wood apart from city apartment blocks, in my experience. I'm renting a wooden house right now. It's really, really lovely building material. Sound travels through walls really easily. I agree, brick rules.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I like an a town mostly made of granite and it makes everywhere else seem pretty flimsy in comparison, particularly when I'm in the US.

A SWEATY FATBEARD
Oct 6, 2012

redreader posted:

Brick is great.

You'd be surprised, but brick is considered a not particularly good building material in Croatia - as bricks tend to be rather brittle which means that brick houses tend to fare poorly in an earthquake. Last big earthquake took place in 1880, and half the town was completely destroyed, even the medieval cathedral's bell tower came tumbling down. A new church was built in the place where the former church used to stand, and a new cathedral with two bell towers was completed in 1905.

My former tenement building (i.e. the Crackden), which was completed in 1937 used reinforced concrete for the load bearing walls, the bricks were only used for fillings and non-critical inside walls. The floors are cast reinforced concrete, and the funny thing is that the architect presumably wasn't sure how would concrete walls and floors fare in a big earthquake (reinforced concrete was a crazy new thing back in 1937), so he added reinforced concrete support beams below the concrete floors, just to be on a safe side.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

You'd be surprised, but brick is considered a not particularly good building material in Croatia - as bricks tend to be rather brittle which means that brick houses tend to fare poorly in an earthquake.

... That explains all the wooden houses here in California then.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

Every summer I'm seeing foreign tourists walking around with their maps and backpacks and stuff, and literally all of them look lost and disappointed. I always get this urge to apologize to them for coming to Zagreb.

The same thing happened to me while traveling through Poland: some old lady on a bus randomly apologized to us about how depressing Poland is. I guarantee tourists have a better opinion of Croatia than you do.

The neighboring town where I grew up had a rule that all buildings (maybe just the commercial ones?) had to be brick, but I never noticed the difference. I guess building materials are more important in areas that have natural disasters. Do earthquakes happen a lot there? Or just bombings?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

Here's the subbed video!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMNLfotyA8o

At 200€ for this, the apartment is a complete steal.

I myself are living in a very similar studio. Surface area is 24.83m2, but it feels a lot larger.

I guess I speak more Croatian than I thought. "Thermostat," "couch," "internet." I tried to learn a few real Croatian words from gbut, but mostly he and his wife just laughed at me. I guess my Slovenian blood didn't come with the Eastern European Dialect gene.

That place is both much nicer, and a little more cramped, than I was imagining. That stove looks dope. The toilet is in an inconvenient place, though*. Where did the money come from to "rebuild" the bathroom, and how could you afford to buy that television so recently?

I love cooking, so an electric stove was a no-go since electricity is prohibitively expensive.

How expensive is "prohibitively" expensive?

* I don't mean "the bathroom"; that part is OK.