Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

people have been saying kasich is the candidate taking new hampshire the most seriously for a while, also implying that new hampshirites like being treated like they're the only one

it'll be interesting to see what the polls say! it'll be interesting to see who overperforms the polls, and who underperforms! interesting things will be interesting!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thethreeman
May 10, 2008
Fallen Rib

Boosted_C5 posted:

Yessssssss.

What a roller coaster of emotion. Top of the world, to the gutter, and back to the top of the world.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE let the trends continue and let BOTH Rubio AND Cruz end up finishing behind all 3 governors.

Trump will have a sizeable delegate lead after NH. He will easily win SC and increase that lead if he can label Cruz as one-and-done based on a piss poor NH showing. With a SC and NH victory he will easily win NV. Then he will STEAMROLL through the SEC states on Super Tuesday.

What is cruz even doing these days? Is he wasting time in NH? Shouldn't he be doing nonstop rallies in SC and downplaying expectations in NH?

Boosted_C5
Feb 16, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 years!
Grimey Drawer

Oiled and Ready posted:

Kasich was one of the Republican leaders to support a last-minute deal with President Bill Clinton to pass the Federal Assault Weapons Ban."

gently caress this rear end-hole.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

Cygna
Mar 6, 2009

The ghost of a god is no man.

Patter Song posted:

Fun note: New Hampshire has a 10% threshold for getting delegates. Any candidate below that gets 0. Just something to file away and remember Tuesday.

So when a certain portion of the field fails to hit the viability threshold, what does that mean for the delegates? Do an equal percentage of them remain unassigned until the convention, or are they allotted proportionally to those who did meet the threshold? I know this has been discussed before but I can never remember crazy primary rules

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
So Colbert isn't talking about politics at all. So much for that possible exposure.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Ratspeaker posted:

So when a certain portion of the field fails to hit the viability threshold, what does that mean for the delegates? Do an equal percentage of them remain unassigned until the convention, or are they allotted proportionally to those who did meet the threshold?

They go to the guy who comes in first.

So if, say, you have candidate A with 50%, candidate B with 45%, and candidate C with 5%.

New Hampshire has 20 delegates, so:

Candidate A gets 50% * 20 = 10
Candidate B gets 45% * 20 = 9

There's one delegate left over, who goes to candidate A.

It's weird. (And rules are different from state to state.)

SNAKES N CAKES
Sep 6, 2005

DAVID GAIDER
Lead Writer

thethreeman posted:

What is cruz even doing these days? Is he wasting time in NH? Shouldn't he be doing nonstop rallies in SC and downplaying expectations in NH?

quote:

MANCHESTER, New Hampshire — When Eric Eastman learned that Rand Paul was leaving the race, he went through the “five stages of grief.”

“At the time on that morning on Wednesday, I wasn’t looking for my next date, I just wasn’t,” said Eastman, a New Hampshire state representative from Nashua, on Friday. “I was hurting.”

But Eastman, unlike some other Paul loyalists here, was willing to move in a different direction: toward Ted Cruz.

So he went to a Cruz rally in Nashua earlier this week and asked to meet with the senator. He was brought on to Cruz’s bus, which then started rolling to Portsmouth (an hour away) while Eastman questioned Cruz on medicaid expansion, telling him that if Cruz could stand up against it, he could offer his support and try to recruit others as well — a very “Washingtonian offer,” Eastman said.

Eastman endorsed Cruz the next night at a rally in Salem. He acknowledged that Cruz wasn’t his first choice and quoted the Rolling Stones’ “You Can’t Always Get What You Want” during his endorsement speech, though he also said Cruz’s worldview was a “close cousin” ideologically to the Paulian camp.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/rosiegray/ted-cruz-woos-new-hampshire-libertarians-with-mixed-results

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
So what happens if no candidate has the delegates and we have a brokered convention?

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Mordiceius posted:

So what happens if no candidate has the delegates and we have a brokered convention?

Oiled and Ready
Oct 11, 2004

He wished it could be as respectable and orthodox as spying. But somehow in his hands the traditional tools and attitudes were always employed toward mean ends: cloak for a laundry sack, dagger to peel potatoes, dossiers to fill up dead Sunday afternoons ...

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

So Colbert isn't talking about politics at all. So much for that possible exposure.

What else does Megyn have to talk about though?

Oiled and Ready
Oct 11, 2004

He wished it could be as respectable and orthodox as spying. But somehow in his hands the traditional tools and attitudes were always employed toward mean ends: cloak for a laundry sack, dagger to peel potatoes, dossiers to fill up dead Sunday afternoons ...

Goddamnit you're right they'll force through the Romnibus

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Mordiceius posted:

Whatever it is I hope blood is spilled.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Oiled and Ready posted:

What else does Megyn have to talk about though?
She'll talk Trump, but no way is she touching Rubio.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
What's the Kasich path to the nomination, even if he outperforms in NH? He's pretty much DOA in the South, right?

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Oiled and Ready posted:

Goddamnit you're right they'll force through the Romnibus

He keeps trying to sap support for Bernie in the dem thread, he'll finally have the match up he wanted.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
If this process did end up with someone literally no one voted for who was a two-term presidential loser being the GOP nominee, voter enthusiasm on that side would be so low the GOP would be risking a landslide.

SNAKES N CAKES
Sep 6, 2005

DAVID GAIDER
Lead Writer

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

What's the Kasich path to the nomination, even if he outperforms in NH? He's pretty much DOA in the South, right?

Establishment choice at brokered convention.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

i guess in theory he could win a ton of moderate northern states, but you identify the biggest problem - the SEC roadblock on super tuesday

it might be the convention - if he's got a competitive number of delegates and they're deadlocked through a few ballots he might be able to win over some of the other establishment candidates' delegates by making the electability argument

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

that petition would probably get a lot more traction if the person who made it bothered to capitalize it properly (ironic i know)

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Also, if by some miracle of god, Trump did get the 1200 delegates, they can't really make him nominee, can they?

sharkbomb
Feb 9, 2005

babypolis posted:

that petition would probably get a lot more traction if the person who made it bothered to capitalize it properly (ironic i know)

You sound like a really fun person. Just sign the petition:

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/dispel-fiction-barack-obama-doesnt-know-what-hes-doing-he-knows-exactly-what-hes-doing

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Mordiceius posted:

Also, if by some miracle of god, Trump did get the 1200 delegates, they can't really make him nominee, can they?

i dont think they could do much to stop them, the delegate rules are arcane as gently caress and vary by state but i think the rnc changed the rules to stop such ratfuckery after last cycle

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Montasque posted:

If this is how NH shakes out it will cause an absolute poo poo storm moving forward.Basically no real winnowing until Nevada and possibly Super Tuesday.
I think if Christie's numbers were that low in a state that he's bet the farm on, he'd drop out. He said in that interview he thinks that there could be "four or five" viable tickets coming out of New Hampshire, and if he was at the bottom of the four "establishment" candidates, he'd leave.
Christie is a lot of things, but I don't think he's delusional like Fiorina, or running for President as a grift like Carson.
That said, Jeb beating Rubio in New Hampshire (or anywhere) would lead to chaos in that wing of the party whether or not Christie stayed in.

There is no plausible path to victory for Kasich, but the least implausible involves Christie dropping out before Super Tuesday and endorsing him.

sharkbomb
Feb 9, 2005
I can't even begin to fathom how this race is going to pan out if Kasich snags a strong 2nd place in NH. It seems like we'll be guaranteed at least a couple more months of a hilarious primary, that's all I can predict.

Since this morning I've been thinking more and more "Maybe it will be Jeb," which goes to show how weird the state of the race is. Tuesday's voting can't come soon enough - I hope we get a solidly chaotic result instead of just Rubio over-performing again for no particular reason.

Edit to add: I made a big bet against Jeb back in October so I usually keep tabs on what the betting markets think of him. He did better today than at any time since then, even hitting 10 cents at some point.

sharkbomb fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Feb 8, 2016

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

babypolis posted:

i dont think they could do much to stop them, the delegate rules are arcane as gently caress and vary by state but i think the rnc changed the rules to stop such ratfuckery after last cycle

Yeah, the RNC's hands are pretty much tied. Whoever comes out of the primary process is the nominee.

RNC Rule 16 a) i posted:

Any statewide presidential preference vote that permits a choice among candidates for the Republican nomination for President of the United States in a primary, caucuses, or a state convention must be used to allocate and bind the state’s delegation to the national convention in either a proportional or winner-take-all manner, except for delegates and alternate delegates who appear on a ballot in a statewide election and are elected directly by primary voters.

RNC Rule 12 posted:

The Republican National Committee may, by three-fourths (3/4) vote of its entire membership, amend Rule Nos. 1-11 and 13-25. Any such amendment shall be considered by the Republican National Committee only if it was passed by a majority vote of the Standing Committee on Rules after having been submitted in writing at least ten (10) days in advance of its consideration by the Republican National Committee and shall take effect thirty (30) days after adoption. No such amendment shall be adopted after September 30, 2014.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

sharkbomb posted:

I can't even begin to fathom how this race is going to pan out if Kasich snags a strong 2nd place in NH. It seems like we'll be guaranteed at least a couple more months of a hilarious primary, that's all I can predict.

Since this morning I've been thinking more and more "Maybe it will be Jeb," which goes to show how weird the state of the race is. Tuesday's voting can't come soon enough - I hope we get a solidly chaotic result instead of just Rubio over-performing again for no particular reason.

its gonna be an absolute bloodbath going into super tuesday. and trump is surely going to come up with some amazing bullshit to grab the spotlight again, he cant let everyone else fight among themselves forever. laying low until nh is a good choice, but after that hes going to come back swinging

Oiled and Ready
Oct 11, 2004

sharkbomb posted:

Edit to add: I made a big bet against Jeb back in October so I usually keep tabs on what the betting markets think of him. He did better today than at any time since then, even hitting 10 cents at some point.

After what Trump has done to Jeb I cant help but think that between two choices that will both bring national embarrassment, Republican voters will pick the Trump kind of embarrassment.

Pretty loving smart of him to continue to rip Jeb relentlessly even when he posed no threat for months.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Joementum posted:

Here's a thing that exists that you probably shouldn't click on at work, even though there's nothing explicit.

:nws: http://tedcruz.lgbt/

Trevor Moore is so awesome. :swoon:

StevePerry
Sep 5, 2003

don't stop believin

He is this primary's Huntsman.

Oiled and Ready
Oct 11, 2004

Kelly on now.

TwinsensRevenge
Aug 13, 2013

I wonder what his response will be to this.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Mordiceius posted:

If they didn't, it would mean... *pulls you in close, looks around wild-eyed for eavesdroppers, whispers so quietly that you have to strain to hear even with my mouth an inch from your ear* ... he was treated unfairly.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven
Let's dispel this fiction that Marco Rubio doesn't know what he's doing. He knows exactly what he's doing. He's trying to dispel this fiction that Barack Obama doesn't know what he's doing. He know's exactly what he's doing

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.

Oiled and Ready posted:

Uh i agree? Wouldn't obama owning him wih the deniability it was the will of the people be hilarious?

Yeah, sorry, I mistook the tone of your post.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Barack Obama knows what he is doing at all times. he knows this because he knows what he isn't doing. By subtracting what he is doing from what he isn't, or what he is not doing from what he is doing (whichever is greater), he obtains a difference, or deviation. The guidance subsystem uses deviations to generate corrective commands to drive Barack Obama from what he is doing to what he hasn't done yet, and arriving at a position where he wasn't doing, he now is. Consequently, what he is doing, is now what he wasn't doing, and he follows that the doing that he was, is now the doing that he isn't.

In the event that the position that he is in is not the position that he wasn't, the system has acquired a variation, the variation being the difference between what Barack Obama is doing and what he wasn't. If variation is considered to be a significant factor, he too may be corrected by the GEA. However, Barack Obama must also know what he was doing.

Barack Obama guidance teleprompter scenario works as follows. Because a variation has modified some of the information Barack Obama has obtained, he is not sure just what he is doing. However, he is sure what he is not doing, within reason, and he knows what he was doing. He now subtracts where he should be from where he wasn't, or vice-versa, and by differentiating this from the algebraic sum of what he shouldn't be doing, and what he is, he is able to obtain the deviation and its variation error, which is called rubio.

Vile
Aug 28, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Not surprised

http://newswithviews.com/NWV-News/news494.htm

$10 million book deal for Megyn Kelly

BIG PUFFY NIPS
Mar 7, 2007

College Slice

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Barack Obama knows what he is doing at all times. he knows this because he knows what he isn't doing. By subtracting what he is doing from what he isn't, or what he is not doing from what he is doing (whichever is greater), he obtains a difference, or deviation. The guidance subsystem uses deviations to generate corrective commands to drive Barack Obama from what he is doing to what he hasn't done yet, and arriving at a position where he wasn't doing, he now is. Consequently, what he is doing, is now what he wasn't doing, and he follows that the doing that he was, is now the doing that he isn't.

In the event that the position that he is in is not the position that he wasn't, the system has acquired a variation, the variation being the difference between what Barack Obama is doing and what he wasn't. If variation is considered to be a significant factor, he too may be corrected by the GEA. However, Barack Obama must also know what he was doing.

Barack Obama guidance teleprompter scenario works as follows. Because a variation has modified some of the information Barack Obama has obtained, he is not sure just what he is doing. However, he is sure what he is not doing, within reason, and he knows what he was doing. He now subtracts where he should be from where he wasn't, or vice-versa, and by differentiating this from the algebraic sum of what he shouldn't be doing, and what he is, he is able to obtain the deviation and its variation error, which is called rubio.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Oiled and Ready posted:

loving MEGYN KELLY IS ON COLBERT

MUST WATCH EVENT DUDES

Is she bleeding out of her eyes or her nose or whatever?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

My fave: https://vine.co/v/iOTvvP1I110

• Locked thread