Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Bluedeanie posted:

Beastmaster is pretty bad too.

Beastmaster is probably the worst and least functional spec in the game so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

On the flipside, Paladins, who were quite ranger-like in 3e, are actually mostly pretty cool and well-designed in 5e. An Oath of the Ancients Paladin make a quite acceptable nature-themed warrior, and you can Ask Your GM to see if they'll even let you take the Two-Weapon Fighting style if you really want it.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
It's not like the designers didn't have roughly a decade of inspiration to draw from with regards to how "player+pet" mechanics are supposed to work.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
TBF 4e's answer to "Player+pet" was 'loving don't." due to the way the action economy was balanced. And that's basically the problem. They only way to balance the ranger is to let it be overpowered when it can bring both itself and its pet to bear on a target, because that's not going to happen all the time and when it doesn't the ranger is going to be worse than if he had taken one of the other ranger options.

opulent fountain
Aug 13, 2007

It's weird how Rangers just don't really get anything good. Favored Enemy could easily add their Wisdom modifier to damage. They could be given an ability that gives them free surprise rounds. It's crazy that it takes your actual attack action to make your pet attack. With that kind of drawback, the rangers shouldn't have to take an archetype to get a pet!

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
The alternative I had in mind was that you could probably manipulate the numbers enough that Ranger+pet attacking a single target works out to roughly the same DPR as a Fighter by himself, similar to how a WoW Hunter needs his pet to be hitting the boss for max DPS (and granting of course that there's now a pet-less Hunter build for when pets aren't desired for whatever reason).

I mean, they made it work as far as a Warlock's Eldritch Blast is roughly the same as a martial's auto-attack, and in fact gets its fourth attack earlier than a Fighter does.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010
Make the pet attack when the ranger attacks, period. What's the worst that happens, it ends up better than the fighter in terms of attacks?

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Abstract the pet.

You have a pet. An animal companion. A cool dog or ocelot or something that is your buddy.

At the start of any given round, decide if your pet is going to do one of these things that scale with your level:

Protect you (AC bonus).
Aid you (attack/damage bonus).
Give you a bonus/extra/in-additon low damage range attack within 30' or something
Do a roleplaying thing that doesn't need no goddamn rules.

Also once per encounter 2 fights short rest it can give you or an ally advantage on one attack or save.

Pets don't take damage and can't be killed unless you also make up a rule about killing/breaking other people's class features, the details of which would be up to the individual DM.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Feb 8, 2016

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

I don't think you need to even do anything that screwy with it. Make your companion fight as your bonus action instead of your attack action. Roll for its hp when you level just like you roll for yours. If you want to get really crazy, set up a chart where its AC and damage output scale by a set fraction every 3-5 levels or so, or just let the Ranger adopt a monster of a higher CR at certain interval levels. This coupled with the wisdom mod added to attack roles against favored enemies that was just suggested and Ranger is significantly improved without completely changing its role, like the new ranger guidelines they just put out that make Rangers weird MonkRogues.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...
Yeah, it strikes me as odd that the Favoured Enemy/Terrain stuff is just bonuses to skill checks, and not to combat. Like, 5e sets baselines in terms of attack bonus, so apparently no class can have a situational +math to their attack, above and beyond that? (unless it's from Archery Fighting Style, of course :downs:)

Reznor
Jan 15, 2006

Hot dinosnail action.

Bluedeanie posted:

Beastmaster is pretty bad too. You get an animal companion with a DC of 1/4 or less, but you can only order it to do attacks as your action, so by the time you get to like level 4 you're already beyond a point where you'd ever want to use your animal companion because your own attack is more valuable and you're way less vulnerable against the monsters you're fighting at that point than your Giant Honey Badger or whatever.

That's a mess. There is no way any of the playtest DMS let that go RAW.

Reznor fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Feb 8, 2016

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

AlphaDog posted:

Abstract the pet.
This is the least intrusive thing to do when theres a group of players that dont have two characters to run.

I admit Im one of those people that gets annoyed at the "pet players" who want to spend a lot of time talking about what their dog is doing, and their bird is doing and their horse is doing, moreso when Im GMing and they want me to spend half the session running a parallel game for their pretend pets.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

FRINGE posted:

This is the least intrusive thing to do when theres a group of players that dont have two characters to run.

I admit Im one of those people that gets annoyed at the "pet players" who want to spend a lot of time talking about what their dog is doing, and their bird is doing and their horse is doing, moreso when Im GMing and they want me to spend half the session running a parallel game for their pretend pets.

I think the obvious answer here is to make the entire party have pets so you can have the occasional Legion of Super-Pets B-side adventure.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

FRINGE posted:

Yes - the pet shouldn't mechanically be an individual character any more than the wizard's spells or the thief's abilities are an individual character.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Roadie posted:

I think the obvious answer here is to make the entire party have pets so you can have the occasional Legion of Super-Pets B-side adventure.
If everyone is on board and agreed ahead of time sure!

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Kurieg posted:

TBF 4e's answer to "Player+pet" was 'loving don't." due to the way the action economy was balanced. And that's basically the problem. They only way to balance the ranger is to let it be overpowered when it can bring both itself and its pet to bear on a target, because that's not going to happen all the time and when it doesn't the ranger is going to be worse than if he had taken one of the other ranger options.
4e's answer to player+pet was (eventually) the Fey Beast Tamer theme. There was also the sentinel druid I guess but I've never seen it played and have no idea how its companion works.

a harpy posted:

It's weird how Rangers just don't really get anything good. Favored Enemy could easily add their Wisdom modifier to damage.
Adding wisdom to the attack or damage roll against a favoured enemy is their level 20 class capstone. They can do it once per round, and only on their turn.

gently caress rangers.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
The only right and just thing to do with a pet is have it get killed

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

The Crotch posted:

There was also the sentinel druid I guess but I've never seen it played and have no idea how its companion works.

Not well. Instead of encounter powers, Sentinels can do a basic attack and also make their pet do a basic attack. They never get any decent leader dailies, either. It was Mike Mearls' first step in throwing out everything sensible from 4e.

At least you can hybrid Shaman/Sentinel, with Fey Beast Tamer and druid summoning dailies to have an entire party just for you.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
At our game rangers pets just get to attack along with the player. It's not game breaking or anything.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
So dndclassics.com isn't its own separate site anymore: that URL just redirects you into dmsguild.com. Rabble rabble change is bad because I couldn't give a poo poo about 3rd-party stuff for 5th Edition unless I'm getting it word-of-mouth.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
So what I'm hearing is don't make my next PC a Ranger - make them a Druid?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Anything without nine levels of spells is starting with a serious handicap.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

CobiWann posted:

So what I'm hearing is don't make my next PC a Ranger - make them a Druid?

I am playing an incredibly homebrewed ranger equivalent that fixes a lot of problems, so if your DM is ok with you doing so, that's an option to consider. Otherwise Ranger is not completely useless (so long as you avoid Beastmaster), but know that whatever flavor of Ranger you want to build, there is another class build that can do those key things you want to focus on better.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Sage Genesis posted:

Followed by Goldpieces, Fireball, You're Only Raised Twice, and Dungeons Are Forever.

Edit:

The franchise really started to suck with On Elminster's Secret Service, if you ask me.

For me, the franchise didn't really tank until "Crit and Let Die". "The Orc with the Golden Club" wasn't bad though…

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

The rebooted franchise was okay, but it took a serious downturn with Featherfall.

Power Player
Oct 2, 2006

GOD SPEED YOU! HUNGRY MEXICAN
http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/2016-february-survey

quote:

However, the really interesting piece comes down to the overall reaction to prestige classes.

We’re definitely seeing mixed responses to the concept. Of those of you who played third edition D&D, nearly 90% of you used prestige classes. However, overall support for them fell short of those marks. Just short of 60% of players want to use them in fifth edition. It’s interesting to see that while prestige classes saw a lot of use, many players didn’t particularly like the concept. It’s definitely something for us to consider as we examine the concept for fifth edition.

Please God no.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

CobiWann posted:

For me, the franchise didn't really tank until "Crit and Let Die". "The Orc with the Golden Club" wasn't bad though…

I thought "A View to a Crit" was So Bad It's Good myself.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
All I'm saying is, Flaming Sphere is a better pet than a rangers pet. If the pretty could move and attack as your bonus action, that would be cool. Especially if they had other buffs/abilities they got as they leveled up.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

So we continue our journey to '3.5, but lazier'.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
"90% of you used prestige classes" :psyduck:

Who the gently caress actually got to a point in a campaign where they could prestige? All my campaigns always seem to end right before (or after, in one case) my PC could prestige.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Who the gently caress actually got to a point in a campaign where they could prestige? All my campaigns always seem to end right before (or after, in one case) my PC could prestige.

So you stopped all your 3.5 campaigns before like level 6?

Andrast fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Feb 8, 2016

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

The only base classes that didn't want to prestige as soon as possible were wizards and druids and most times even they could find something that they wanted, most people had their prestige class picked out since level 1 so they could plan their feats accordingly. I've never not been in a 3.5 game where someone was in a prestige class at some point.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

1st level 3.5 is for idiots and morons, 4-6th is the best starting level IMO.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Power Player posted:

Please God no.

"Of those of you who played third edition D&D..."

Reading between the lines here:

Those of you who didn't play third edition D&D can go gently caress yourselves "ask your DM."

Edit: the D&D team's answers become so much better if you just replace all instances of "ask your DM" with "go gently caress yourself".

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Andrast posted:

So you stopped all your 3.5 campaigns stopped before like level 6?

It seems to be a common phenomenon that 3.5 games last about 5 levels before everyone re-rolls/plays something else.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
What's interesting is that they consider Prestige Classes as a feature in and of itself, rather than the concept of "increased class abilities within a specialization" as whole, which has gone through several different forms, such as the Paladin / Avenger in RC, the High Level Campaigns splatbook in AD&D 2e, and Paragon and Epic classes in 4e.

Can I invoke the phrase "cargo cult design" here as correct usage?

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
"We had a system that gave way, WAY more power to PCs, yet required inordinate amounts of planning and was generally super irritating to use while being so good it was mandatory - and yet you didn't all love it??? What gives, players?"

gradenko_2000 posted:

What's interesting is that they consider Prestige Classes as a feature in and of itself, rather than the concept of "increased class abilities within a specialization" as whole, which has gone through several different forms, such as the Paladin / Avenger in RC, the High Level Campaigns splatbook in AD&D 2e, and Paragon and Epic classes in 4e.

This is the very epitome of cargo cult design. They dunno why PrCs were used or what they were meant to do, only that third edition had 'em, so by god we need them too.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

gradenko_2000 posted:

Those aren't the same things, though. Some prestige classes were basically just specializations, yes, but plenty of others went on complete tangents to base classes (warshaper, cabinet trickster, etc), a fair number were about mashing together the traits of multiple classes (arcane hierophant, eldritch disciple, etc), and some did just plain wacky stuff with the mechanics that wouldn't have fit a base class at all (war hulk, survivor).

Prestige classes sprawl over a lot more territory than "specialization within existing classes".

ProfessorCirno posted:

"We had a system that gave way, WAY more power to PCs, yet required inordinate amounts of planning and was generally super irritating to use while being so good it was mandatory - and yet you didn't all love it??? What gives, players?"

As somebody who enjoyed the minigame of 3.5 character building, I totally loved having all the weird-shaped Lego pieces that were the many, many prestige classes and trying to make unique stuff out of combining them.

Karatela
Sep 11, 2001

Clickzorz!!!

Grimey Drawer
Going back over it all, and the latest survey for these 'kits'... Is it just me, or isn't this just basically already archetypes 5th has, more or less? Sword is a more gimmicky valor bard, cavalier basically takes the mounted combat feat and triples down on it, while doing little to solve the fact that mounted combat is a joke (or that off a mount get hosed), and the scout is pretty much your standard fighter/ranger/rogue mishmash.

Fool admittedly is a bit different, but a good level 3 ability doesn't really cover for the 14th level one being a total case of paying a resource to do better and THEN get hosed at random whim.

Like, I keep asking this and wondering, but, this is even more egregious than usual. What was the point of making this, when the whole gimmick of the original archetypes was to basically be what these kits were?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Roadie posted:

As somebody who enjoyed the minigame of 3.5 character building, I totally loved having all the weird-shaped Lego pieces that were the many, many prestige classes and trying to make unique stuff out of combining them.

Same here, but it makes the barrier to entry for creating a new character that much higher. It also creates huge disparities in optimization between someone who makes a fighter by taking fighter 20 'cause they want to hit stuff vs. someone who makes a chaingun tripper or an ubercharger.