Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

seiferguy posted:

Yeah, pretty much this. CT has fantastic music (FF3 was quite underrated), excellent glamours (Amon's set for bards and the Demon Healing set in particular), and has a variety of colors instead of Void Ark's brown and purple. The fights are enjoyable and people won't wipe easily because mechanically it's not too difficult.

I will look forward to the day that I don't have to run Void Ark at least once a week.

edit: the only trial roulette I've abandoned has been Bismarck because pubbies can't do the DPS check (usually because they've fallen off and died).

It's rough because the snake-killing phase is abnormally long in duration for a DPS check so the whole time you're doing it you're doubting yourself like "has this gone on too long, or is it always this long" and then you wipe with like 5% health left and your vote abandon gets declined and then you have to wait 30 minutes to do something else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eldritch BiLast
Jul 7, 2009

Pummel Sylvanas
Melee Range
Instant

Kwyndig posted:

Ultros can at least be done with less than a full party of competent people. Bismark is just a nightmare when it shows up on trial roulette. I've only managed to complete that trial twice, since it manages to combine all the worst aspects of Leviathan (slams), Titan (an arena you can fall off of that tries to make you), and Steps (dragonkillers) with an additional gently caress you to ranged DPS by making you stand on the shell or do no damage..

Is it really that bad? Every time it's come up, I've completed it without issue.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Xenoletum posted:

Is it really that bad? Every time it's come up, I've completed it without issue.

Get the right (wrong) group of people, i.e. ranged DPS that won't jump on Bismarck's back (despite being told to), two honest healers that won't DPS, people standing on the edge that actually get knocked off by the Vanu's small knockback technique, and yeah you can fail it. Most times I get it, it's usually 1 wipe, a "hey we did this wrong, do this instead" and it's fixed.

I still don't get why people drop Ultros since that's super easy. 1 DPS can not do the mechanics and you can still clear Typhon's stacks.

Burn My Dread
Feb 23, 2007

Tear up your fear, the end is coming near, spit it out like a spear, I'll burn your dread
Last week I got a Bismarck trial roulette that wiped on the first phase, before the Carapace was even dead.

Sometimes the stars align and DF just finds a way to surprise you even more than usual.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Everything in trial roulette can basically be saved by one good player in each role. My theory is it's far enough into the gear cycle that good DPS players now do their roulettes as healer/tank for fast queues. :v:

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Super Space Jam 64 posted:

I am a WHM that has beaten everything in the game. This is what I have used for the last two years:

(It's hard to see, but cleric stance is mapped to tilda; also the screenshot is a little old, I keep Stone II on 5 for 50 synced stuff and Stone I on 6 for A3S)

Note that this layout assumes you're using ESDF to control movement instead of WASD; I forced myself to learn to use ESDF for movement early on in this game, this makes it easier to access a bunch of keys and I was able to map all important instant-cast skills to buttons or modifier combinations I can easily press while still moving in nearly any direction.

Another upside to this setup is it uses no special mouse buttons. All the keys are standard on any keyboard, even ones without a numpad, such that I feel right at home on whatever laptop or desktop I play the game on. I'm even able to play somewhat competently using a laptop nub or touchpad as a mouse since I only use the mouse for camera control.

The big downside, of course, is learning to use ESDF. It took me roughly a month to get used to it, and during that time I was functionally useless in most fights that involved movement. I'm glad I did in the end, though.

Dumb question, but when I see peoples' keymaps with only four movement keys, I always wonder how they get by without strafing. Maybe I'm over-reliant on it? That being said I'm excited to try this ESDF business out.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Archyduke posted:

Dumb question, but when I see peoples' keymaps with only four movement keys, I always wonder how they get by without strafing. Maybe I'm over-reliant on it? That being said I'm excited to try this ESDF business out.

Usually A and D or S and F would be re-bound to strafe, and all turning is done with the mouse.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

Archyduke posted:

I have A and D as turn, but the game turns these keys into strafing when you hold the right mouse button down.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Ainsley McTree posted:

I need some pretty princess advice. What would you wear if you wanted to dress up a dragoon as a Landsknecht?

I've got it mostly figured out. The "acton" variety of chestpieces works pretty well for the top (but I'm open to other ideas) and the holy rainbow pants from heavensward seem to function for the leg piece (but again, I'm open to improvements).

The hat's bugging me, though. There's a few things that come close, but nothing is quite right. Most of the headgear that's available to dragoons is of the "we put a feather in it" variety, but I need something that has like, five feathers in it. Bard quality poofiness. The onion helm would be close, but I don't even know how to get it. Some of the flowery capeline hats on the MB come close, but they're almost too poofy, if that's even possible.

Where can I find some poofy dragoon hats? Bards have all the good glamour.

I had a Landsknecht-inspired glamour for a while:

You can't really see them, but the pants were those stripey rainbow heavensward leveling pants, and I believe the shoes were the patrician's shoes or something like that. The hat is one of the Maelstrom hats, but I'm pretty sure there's others than use the same model.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

ilifinicus posted:

I have A and D as turn, but the game turns these keys into strafing when you hold the right mouse button down.

Well, this is a game-changer. Thank you.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
So what are some really great side quests that I shouldn't miss, in terms of story, lore characterization or writing?

Already heard that the Hildebrand quests are pretty fantastic.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
The greatest story never told.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Empress Theonora posted:

I had a Landsknecht-inspired glamour for a while:

You can't really see them, but the pants were those stripey rainbow heavensward leveling pants, and I believe the shoes were the patrician's shoes or something like that. The hat is one of the Maelstrom hats, but I'm pretty sure there's others than use the same model.

Yeah, that looks like pretty much what I had in mind. The hat looks like it's about as good as I'm gonna get--I'd forgotten about the GC vendors, thanks for that tip.

I've discovered that my hair clips through the back of that chestpiece pretty badly though, so that's annoying.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

theblackw0lf posted:

So what are some really great side quests that I shouldn't miss, in terms of story, lore characterization or writing?

Postmoogle quests, Tam-Tara hard mode.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

theblackw0lf posted:

The DRK quests are pretty fantastic from 30-50 and the level 60 quest has a pretty :stare: moment too. Bahamut coil is pretty good, and on the plus side you'll have a lot of people willing to run through coil with you for poetics and the (mostly) fun fights.

Ryanbomber
Sep 27, 2004

seiferguy posted:

I still don't get why people drop Ultros since that's super easy. 1 DPS can not do the mechanics and you can still clear Typhon's stacks.

I'm lucky if I can get more than one DPS who CAN actually get full stacks with imp.

The fight's still pretty easy because you can cheese the knockback even if DPS screw it up by jumping out of the arena early, and jumping back in after Typhon casts it. If you're fast enough the fight doesn't wipe.

ArashiKurobara
Mar 22, 2013

Ainsley McTree posted:

Yeah, that looks like pretty much what I had in mind. The hat looks like it's about as good as I'm gonna get--I'd forgotten about the GC vendors, thanks for that tip.

Velveteen Beret is a crafting hat (stats-wise, it is all-class wearable) with that model that's dyeable, that'd be a good one to grab if you're looking at that one. Best other option I can find digging through my copy of Eorzea Collection is Felt Cavalier's Hat, I think - the hat shape isn't right at all but its feather is nice and big.

EDIT: Scratch that, Woolen Beret and Felt Beret have bigger feathers than Velveteen. Same deal otherwise.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Ryanbomber posted:

I'm lucky if I can get more than one DPS who CAN actually get full stacks with imp.

The fight's still pretty easy because you can cheese the knockback even if DPS screw it up by jumping out of the arena early, and jumping back in after Typhon casts it. If you're fast enough the fight doesn't wipe.

This. I don't ever do the fight normally anymore, I just go in fully expecting people to fail stacks. It's a nice surprise when I find that I jumped out of the arena needlessly.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

vOv posted:

Postmoogle quests, Tam-Tara hard mode.

Postmoogle quests are good because it has you talking to a lot of minor/inconsequential/job quest characters you might have missed that fleshes out the world a decent bit.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Ryanbomber posted:

My usual strategy is to stick a triangle on the head of whoever's tanking Ultros and tell the DPS to "stack on the triangle" instead of "stack in front of Ultros". It tends to work better. When it doesn't, it's because the DPS took too long to notice that they got imped (or didn't understand the mechanic at all), or because they thought they knew better and weren't actually trying to stack on the triangle.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Something of note for the frequent LotA runners out there, platinals are no longer a mechanic that you have to deal with. OTs still need to grab them to keep healers from getting munched and pulling them away is helpful, but killing them or keeping them separate is not. Everyone just needs to stay on the center platform while the healers do a few aoe heals. They won't hit all at the same time and it isn't too hard at all to heal through. The dragon dies too fast without holding back massive DPS to even worry about the mechanics. Just make sure to explain that ahead of time to people if you're in a mixed group.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

theblackw0lf posted:

It's not a great quest or anything, but I chuckled a few times at the level 47 quest in the far southeast of... Southern? Thanalan, SE from the Forgotten Springs teleport, that also gives you a Cactuar minion :kimchi:

e: and right after I post I remember The Greatest Story Never Told, which is right by the Horizon telepoint (between it and the Waking Sands) and is one of the few quests that doesn't give you red circles and arrows in the quest log.

bleuraindrops
Jun 22, 2011

Belzac posted:

I'm pretty sure the snakes do not have a knock back, I think you're thinking of the vanus who might have a knockback but you got to be real dumb to get hit by them and the knock back is very minor from what I recall.

The only people I've seen get knocked off are tanks. I also never understand why the tanks never stack the vanus.

For people that want to run towers, Reddit has been organizing weekly tower runs Sunday afternoon/evenings. Just queue up 4 EST (different start time for Chaos). I'm always busy so never got to queue myself but people say it's successful.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Skaw posted:

Postmoogle quests are good because it has you talking to a lot of minor/inconsequential/job quest characters you might have missed that fleshes out the world a decent bit.

The postmoogle quests are almost all good bits of world building. Several of them do require you to have done some other quest as a prerequisite though so if he stops handing out quests you may want to look up a guide to see what you'll need to continue.

Before those quests I never even realized Ratata existed. She's usually hiding behind a rock when she isn't buried in coeruls.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

theblackw0lf posted:

You have to put in quite a bit of time (and long runs through the Sylphlands that make me want to kill myself) doing the dailies but the beastmen tribes have some good story to them. My personal favourite is Sahagin but they all have their charms, and the capstone questline you get for maxing reputation with all 5 of the ARR tribes is something to behold.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I never have understood why WASD is the default for movement keys anyway.

Was it really just W=walk like I've always suspected?

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

ActionZero posted:

You have to put in quite a bit of time (and long runs through the Sylphlands that make me want to kill myself) doing the dailies but the beastmen tribes have some good story to them. My personal favourite is Sahagin but they all have their charms, and the capstone questline you get for maxing reputation with all 5 of the ARR tribes is something to behold.

Yea I like the Sahigan storyline so far. Only frustrating thing is you're limited to the amount of quests you can do each day.

I really don't understand the rationale behind that decision.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
Pretty standard time based content gating, to give people reasons to log in on a regular basis instead of poopsocking it for two days to complete the whole chain.

It used to be 6 beast men quests per day in total instead of the 12 it is now.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
The capstone of the Vanu tribe is literally Bring It On: Eorzea Edition.

I haven't touched Amal'jaa or Slyph quests yet. Sahagin is annoying enough with how long it takes to get from Aleport to the quest giver. 3.2 should make it easier for beast tribe quests since they're supposedly fixing how often beast tribe related FATEs respawn.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

a kitten posted:

It's on the side.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum

seiferguy posted:

3.2 should make it easier for beast tribe quests since they're supposedly fixing how often beast tribe related FATEs respawn.

What, again? That would be, what, the third or fourth time they're going to "fix" this issue?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I suspect each fix was only applied to Sharknado

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Xenoveritas posted:

What, again? That would be, what, the third or fourth time they're going to "fix" this issue?

The kobold FATEs aren't bad at all and most of the sahagin FATEs are manageable. It's really just the top end FATEs for sylphs and amalja'a that can go literally 45+ minutes between appearances that are the ballbusters. As long as those get some love I figure it'll mostly be settled.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

a kitten posted:

it's the only region of the keyboard that you can press keys down on without having a nub (F and J) underneath a finger while also maintaining comfort (and not stretching your arm across half your body)

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

Thundarr posted:

The kobold FATEs aren't bad at all and most of the sahagin FATEs are manageable. It's really just the top end FATEs for sylphs and amalja'a that can go literally 45+ minutes between appearances that are the ballbusters. As long as those get some love I figure it'll mostly be settled.

Boar Wars is literally Satan. I honestly recommend getting Soundwire and just use your phone to listen for the fate start sound while you do housework or something. Also do the fates if they're up even if you don't need them for the day just to bank the turn in items.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

It's a shame my schedule hasn't afforded me being able to join the reddit LotA runs. I really want to try to get a full set of the WoL tank gear.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Man, is it worth risking LLR for post-50 classes, or should I just burn them on my sub-50s and go for HW dungeons post-50? The levelling roulette bonus doesn't make much of a dent when you're like mid-50s.

In other news I'm sick of the Aery.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

ApplesandOranges posted:

Man, is it worth risking LLR for post-50 classes, or should I just burn them on my sub-50s and go for HW dungeons post-50? The levelling roulette bonus doesn't make much of a dent when you're like mid-50s.

In other news I'm sick of the Aery.
When you're sick of dungeons, join someone's crystal party and get some quick EXP that way. If you have a 60, make sure to grab the quest so you can be working toward relic, too!

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

LLDR is incredibly good xp and goes very fast even in the worst runs generally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
At least a good third of the Sahagin quests are just boats from their camp. Sylph are still the irritating beastman quest champions.

• Locked thread