Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Why is Hook & Slice so bad?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Get Innocuous! posted:

Guard Dog + Dodge stacking is a really effective way of dealing with a lot of tough enemies (treebranch guy, the prophet boss) and Hound's Harry is murder against that one four-part boss that is constantly morphing. If you pick him for straight up damage you're going to be disappointed.
Dodge tanking is nice but requires some pretty specific circumstances which really only appear in the two examples you cited. Making things dead without risking an attack is better than trying to dodge one, and in most cases where you can't kill fast the HM is better off Blackjacking than using Guard Dog in case the enemy uses something that can target more than just the first two positions (giants' spores, Skull Toss, Ground Pound, Pig Spear etc.). You could alternate Blackjack and Guard Dog every other turn against a giant, but how many turns do you need to kill one?

Jackard posted:

Is it possible to backup your saves?
You have to make a copy of the save folder. Where that is depends on where you got it. Steam it's just somewhere in the userdata folder under whatever number is assigned to Darkest Dungeon, GOG and other versions I don't know.

Mzbundifund posted:

To make it easier to pick the good Bounty Hunter skills.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Mzbundifund posted:

Cause his direct damage skills have big bonuses in easy to meet conditions and his bleed doesn't. The only advantage the bleed has is that it can hit the 4th rank which is nothing special at all. Just flashbang them instead in almost all cases - which incidentally is one of the best stuns in the game before trinkets.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
It's there to basically justify his hook weapon since it and Come Hither are the only ones that really make use of it conceptually. But both hook skills are really bad. Like Rascyc said, if he gets shuffled to position 4 (the only place he can't do a 100% damage attack) just use Flashbang or Mark For Death.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Mzbundifund posted:

Because generally speaking, the back two row enemies have low to no PROT which is when bleed and blight are most useful. And back row enemies want to be bursted down quickly, so they don't stress/shuffle your party. And Finish Him can already hit the third row. And Flashbang hits either the third or the fourth row and stuns and shuffles. AND even in the specific case of having a high PROT unstunnable enemy in the back two rows (I guess maybe a swinetaur with multiple stun resist buff stacks) you still have a better way of dealing with him in your PROT debuffing mark.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Barely scraped by the champion necromancer with arbalest-occultist-BH-crusader. Summoning a bone champion is not cool. Also the occultist had some very powerful heals from time to time but a vestal would have been better in every encounter. Too bad my only level 6 vestal has the perfect set of flaws to make ruins a death sentence.

kickascii
Mar 30, 2010
So I'm looking through for the next mission, and the only good one is the tier2 Siren. I've never once had a problem with a Siren fight so I bring 3 level 4's and a level 5: Hellion, Bounty Hunter, Graverobber, and Vestal.

I'm cruising through and get to the next to last room, camp and do all offensive buffs, right before I open the door to the siren I drink my 4 holy waters

and the Siren is not there. Hmm. I end up slogging through every single room, I have to manually dig through 2 walls (used a shovel on a chest earlier, whoops) and now my torch is going to be low for the last room, which is annoying because my Hellion is wearing a Sun Cloak.

On the last hallway I get into a fight and the big crab crits an arterial pinch on my bounty hunter as its last move. What I should have done is drag out and heal him a bit, because that bleed gets him all the way to deaths door right before I'm about to walk into the final room. I eat my last 3 food and consider just abandoning the fight. I've never done it without holy water buff before. But, 2 of my 4 guys have the 33% debuff resist form pools, and the Siren is a joke, I'm sure I'll be fine right?

I don't get to move first and stun her, she immediately charms my Vestal, so no heals for my Bounty hunter. I'm plugging away and she steals my Graverobber next. The Graverobber proceeds to hit my Bountyhunter down to death's door and plague him, I have no antivenom, and my Vestal is stunned from just coming back over. So my Bountyhunter needs to win at least 1 Deaths door roll anddddddd he's dead.

Siren gets a lot more interesting when your team is Vestal, Graverobber and Hellion, your Hellion is Masochostic and won't take heals, and the Siren is still at 60% life. The Graverobber spends most of the time as a traitor, stunned behind friendly and enemy lines. My Vestal is next to go to Death's Door and gets charmed. In a total clutch move, The Vestal heals herself up while on the enemy team while my Hellion and Graverobber drop elbows, the Siren finally dies when I only have a couple of turns left.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Overconfidence is a slow and insidious killer.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

You know you can remove/equip trinkets during a run right? Just not in combat. You could have just removed your hellion's sun cloak.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Same goes for skills, change them between fights. There was a guy posting earlier about how he had forgotten to bring the right skills to his run.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Finally got the time to play some more yesterday and holy poo poo Leper hits like a loving truck now

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

yo man-at-arms

i... have some bad news for you

Just because his right eye doesn't work doesn't mean he can't close it. :colbert:

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Do dog attacks count as ranged for the purposes of quirks/trinkets/what have you?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

AnonSpore posted:

Do dog attacks count as ranged for the purposes of quirks/trinkets/what have you?

Yep, the attacks say so in the tooltip.

Unerring Man with Dog is amazing.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

AnonSpore posted:

All HM skills are Ranged except for Blackjack. Likewise all Leper and Hellion skills are Melee (except the buffs/heals), and all Arbalest skills are Ranged. I think other classes all have at least some mix (Zealous Accusation is the Crusader's only Ranged attack, but he has one).

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

AnonSpore posted:

he fires his dog at people

protip: mix the dog with the matchman's fuse to dim the pain of houndmasters being not quite so awesome late game

e: three consecutive ghouls have hurled nine skulls in a row at my plague doctor. presumably it'd stop being so stressful after like the first five

Inexplicable Humblebrag fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Feb 8, 2016

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Alright. Finished the champion bosses, and made it to the darkest dungeon. Really don't like the mechanics behind not being to able use the same party/leaving someone behind if you have to abandon. I understand they want a risk associated, but punishing failure with having to grind entire new parties/heroes out from level 1 is terrible gameplay design. I honestly can't think of a more tedious gameplay mechanic. Gonna put it down till they sort that out.

Megasabin fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Feb 8, 2016

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

Took down the Hag! After looking up what licentious meant, I come to appreciate (or be horrified) by the Ancestors eclectic taste in women. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbQ3nOyakIc Next up is the dumb Swing King. The true power behind the throne... Wilbur.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

AnonSpore posted:

I'm watching a dude stream and on his first turn against 4 enemies (two thin skeletons, two skeleton crossbowmen), he has his plague doctor heal his half-health vestal for 3 health.

It's a champion dungeon and all his dudes are level 6. Evidently this game is not as hard as it appears if guys who make decisions like that can make it this far. :psyduck:

The jump from veteran to champion is even more horrible than the jump from apprentice to veteran, for me at least. I don't know how people do it. The first fight in, an enemy group will critically hit one of my front characters twice and put them near death. Okay game, what do you want me to do? Have two Vestals in my party?

I haven't had a run as bad as this guys yet, but I'm sure I will: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7ms_A7mU8U

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I had a run where I got crit six times in a row right out the gate, sometimes the dice just decide to gently caress you completely

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014

Captain Invictus posted:

I had a run where I got crit six times in a row right out the gate, sometimes the dice just decide to gently caress you completely

Counterpoint: You are Captain Invictus.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
and you are not Down Jacket Fetish, so stop trying to be him

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
So I enter a long veteran Weald dungeon, and notice more or less immediately that I've brought everything but shovels again. Ok, maybe I can use scouting to avoid a couple of barriers. That curio battle room? Not worth it. I go all the way through the dungeon and things are largely ok, although there are a couple barriers. I find a secret room early, so I'm overflowing with loot, as usual.

I get to the very end, and discard all my food and torches for a pretty impressive haul. Wait a second, "abandon quest"? WTF? Oh, "complete all room battles" :suicide:. I can't believe how bad I am at this game sometimes.

kickascii
Mar 30, 2010

Node posted:

The jump from veteran to champion is even more horrible than the jump from apprentice to veteran, for me at least. I don't know how people do it. The first fight in, an enemy group will critically hit one of my front characters twice and put them near death. Okay game, what do you want me to do? Have two Vestals in my party?

I haven't had a run as bad as this guys yet, but I'm sure I will: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7ms_A7mU8U

Watched the video, will have to start watching your stream. Yawp is the most powerful thing you can do with a Hellion, would have saved you in that fight. If you get marked you can't risk the one guy hitting you, you could have stunned him and killed him before he could have attacked. Also not a fan of the R1 Highwayman

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Megasabin posted:

Alright. Finished the champion bosses, and made it to the darkest dungeon. Really don't like the mechanics behind not being to able use the same party/leaving someone behind if you have to abandon. I understand they want a risk associated, but punishing failure with having to grind entire new parties/heroes out from level 1 is terrible gameplay design. I honestly can't think of a more tedious gameplay mechanic. Gonna put it down till they sort that out.

Grinding new parties/heroes has been the punishment for failure since the very first dungeon. Unless you count abandoning I guess. But a party wipe is a party wipe whether or not it's in the DD. I wouldn't count on them "sorting it out" either.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
They've said a number of times that the way the DD is structured has been their intention and plan since the start of development. They want it to be this way, including the Never Again thing and the retreat penalty.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

People only refuse to return if you beat a given mission, not if you flee, right?

IAmUnaware
Jan 31, 2012
Correct. Party members who successfully flee from a DD mission can be sent back in later.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Megasabin posted:

If its any consolation the gameplay of the end dungeon is the same as the gameplay of levelling up a new party, so youre not really missing much since im assuming you dont actually like the way the game plays anyway.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

kickascii posted:

Watched the video, will have to start watching your stream. Yawp is the most powerful thing you can do with a Hellion, would have saved you in that fight. If you get marked you can't risk the one guy hitting you, you could have stunned him and killed him before he could have attacked. Also not a fan of the R1 Highwayman
He's not Baertaffy.

Speaking of, is Baertaffy the one who also does the insane FTL runs where he never pauses for any reason, does everything realtime? There was an amazing streamer who did that, I watched one run where he got terrible luck with the worst ship(one of the Slug alts iirc) and still beat it somehow. Dude was a miracle worker with FTL. Had a voice like Baer's too I think.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

kickascii posted:

That is not me, I do not stream, and generally find those people insufferable.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Captain Invictus posted:

and you are not Down Jacket Fetish, so stop trying to be him

lol

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
So I've got three level 0-2 dudes and my roster's full.

Are they just doomed to be newbies forever unless I take them on higher-ranked missions? Seems like a deathwish for a Crusader or a Leper.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Captain Invictus posted:

So I've got three level 0-2 dudes and my roster's full.

Are they just doomed to be newbies forever unless I take them on higher-ranked missions? Seems like a deathwish for a Crusader or a Leper.

Take them one at a time on short vet runs with a decked out level 4 party, keep them in the back even if they dont work well there. Give them +hp and +prot trinkets. Use maa or hm to guard them if you need to.

The MAA with that rank4 shield he gets and a +hp/+prot trinket is pretty good at carrying low levels through short runs too, always guard the low level guy then you can equip him with extra damage trinkets instead of defensive ones.

Or make an attempt at the DD with a lvl6 crew.

Kly fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Feb 9, 2016

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yeah, the remaining veterans I have aren't really up for frontlining, so I'll wait until some dudes no doubt die in the DD.

Also, went to start a Swine God run and a fun thing happened, wherein the game crashed and when I reloaded it it ate the money I had put towards supplies and booted me back to the hamlet. Good times

edit: are you only able to acquire one of each of the Ancestral trinkets? I've gotten the pen, painting, coat and signet ring, and none of them have since shown up as rewards.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Feb 9, 2016

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Youre guaranteed to clear up at least one spot on your roster if you attempt the DD, win or lose.

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009

Captain Invictus posted:

Also, went to start a Swine God run and a fun thing happened, wherein the game crashed and when I reloaded it it ate the money I had put towards supplies and booted me back to the hamlet. Good times

edit: are you only able to acquire one of each of the Ancestral trinkets? I've gotten the pen, painting, coat and signet ring, and none of them have since shown up as rewards.
I've had that crash bug a couple of times. It's pretty annoying, especially when you're not swimming in endgame cash.

The ancestor's items are unique in that you can only get one at a time. If you lose one you can get it back, though. I have all but one of the long champion ancestral rewards, so some missions show up without a trinket reward now. I also have a few shamblers left to kill, which is apparently worlds easier in apprentice dungeons, since I killed that dude with two level 0s and nobody even died.

Honestly, the second darkest dungeon level went more smoothly than the first. I'm pretty sure that for the shuffling horror I just picked out a team of dudes who would be useful despite any shuffling (HW-Jest-Hound-BH), so it was a pretty weak party that almost got its poo poo pushed in entirely. For the second I chose the biggest pile of shitwreckers I could, and they wrecked poo poo with only moderate trouble (Arb-Occ-MaA-Hellion). The most trouble was actually in the first, left templar+2polyps fight, since the polyps shuffled my party and after the pushes my occultist was on the front lines. He was specced out to stab things, but my arbalest was the only one who could take people off of deaths door. The double templar fight was pretty straightforward in comparison. I stumbled into the first fight without knowing where it was, so I was initially worried about a lack of camp buffs. In the end, I used camping for a mix of healing, mortality debuff removal, stress relief, and only a little buffing and things were fine.

FreeKillB fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Feb 9, 2016

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Kly posted:

If its any consolation the gameplay of the end dungeon is the same as the gameplay of levelling up a new party, so youre not really missing much since im assuming you dont actually like the way the game plays anyway.

Actually you're wrong. It is not. The end dungeon has enemies and bosses I have not seen, and story I have not experienced. These two characteristics make it desirable to play. I enjoyed the way the game plays immensely while experiencing the content the first time around. Apprentice and Veteran dungeons no longer offer anything exciting that makes me voluntarily want to revisit them. Thus being forced to do so is unappealing, and makes me not excited to play this game I was previously enjoying. This may very well be with the creators intended, a la the opening screen, but I personally do not find this game design approach clever. You can find a way to make a game challenging and full of risk without the punishment of tedium.

Megasabin fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Feb 9, 2016

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
Speaking of Jesters, what is the standard way of using them? I don't like them because I don't really get them. You can have them sit in position 3, sing songs or hack with his sickle, or you can have him have a position changer + finale. What skill setup works well with a Jester, and in what type of dungeon?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
It's kind of the same thing I explained to someone earlier about why starting a new file is undesirable: Nobody wants to go through upgrading the Hamlet again, and nobody wants to have to sleepwalk through the first two dungeon tiers again. Once you have the upgrades to get guys prepped and the gold to spend on them, there's no appeal to doing non-Champion-tier stuff. It's too easy if you understand the game at all (which you should by the time you're at the DD) and the resources you've built up allow you to take another crack at what you're doing at present... you just can't, because heroes always come in at lv0. Short of NG+ or a run where you're deliberately speeding through there's no appeal to it, and in a NG+ or speedrun-style playthrough odds are you're not upgrading everything anyway, just the things you actually need. That's fine and all but there's a reason NG+ is its own mode. And you have to get through the whole game anyway to reach that point, which includes the Darkest Dungeon itself, so getting stymied there sucks if you're going in blind and taking significant losses.

Causing even up to half of newbies on the coach to be leveled up already after clearing boss tiers would fix this. Clear all Apprentice-tier bosses, all lv0s start instead at lv1. Clear all Veteran-tier bosses, they all start at lv3 except maybe 2-3 lv1s (in case you want/need to do Apprentice runs). Clear all Champion-tier bosses and you start getting lv5s, with 2-3 lv3s and 2-3 lv1s. It'd cut down on a lot of the trouble. You'd still have to pay to outfit those guys and they would generally not have desirable Quirks, but it'd take a lot less effort to get them up to speed.