Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
solo CW report -- did 2300 damage in a defense on Sulfurous Rift against clans, they brought down Omega with a minute left 'cause our pubbies decided not to go to Omega, the whole objective of the whole thing

after the game I was like "my dudes we could have won that, don't give up next time"

pubbie: yeah right *disconnects*

he did 153 damage

who are these people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
bads.

they are bads.

Endbuster
Jan 7, 2013

There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.

Pattonesque posted:

solo CW report -- did 2300 damage in a defense on Sulfurous Rift against clans, they brought down Omega with a minute left 'cause our pubbies decided not to go to Omega, the whole objective of the whole thing

after the game I was like "my dudes we could have won that, don't give up next time"

he did 153 damage

who are these people

If you're asking yourself this question often, you might wanna get out while you are ahead.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Endbuster posted:

If you're asking yourself this question often, you might wanna get out while you are ahead.

what's weird is that the very next game I dropped against a 12-man and we won

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
In the Star Citizen D&D thread

Reztes posted:

Where do you have to jump from to get up on the outer wall again? I remember seeing somebody do it in some video but I can't seem to find it anymore and it sure seems like the perfect place to put a shadow cat or other JJ & ECM mech.

There's places near the exits to the center where almost any mech with jump jets can get up. They are to the sides of the doorways. In the shadowcat, I can just get close to the bottom of a wall, hit MASC and then jumpets to face plant the wall while moving up to teach the top. This is when that slingshot bug happens, as when I hit the edge it will launch me in random directions sometimes. Straight up is the most common.

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

Pattonesque posted:

he did 153 damage

who are these people

I barely broke 1200 damage. I got abandoned by the team in my atlas, but I cored one out if the 5 attacking me. In the first push I got two fast kills in my thunderbolt though. Then I realized only 2 of us were pushing. Good times. That Rick guy knew what he was doing at least.

And now I just dropped in a match with 8 pubbies. This gon be good.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

The Repo Man posted:

I barely broke 1200 damage. I got abandoned by the team in my atlas, but I cored one out if the 5 attacking me. In the first push I got two fast kills in my thunderbolt though. Then I realized only 2 of us were pushing. Good times. That Rick guy knew what he was doing at least.

And now I just dropped in a match with 8 pubbies. This gon be good.

godspeed my man

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

Pattonesque posted:

godspeed my man

The 4 of us in units did 5-10 kills each. The pubbies hugged the gate and 4 made it with 3 mech left until the round ended. I'm dead inside. We lost 38-36, no o-gens destroyed.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Marijuana Nihilist posted:

Packing on triple AMS and ECM is worth it just so you can declare in all chat that their lurms are loving useless, come at me bro

you don't need AMS or ECM to declare lurms loving useless

Tujague
May 8, 2007

by LadyAmbien
I bought a crabbe during the seafood sale, and it's p good. It's the 27SL. Be advised that the stock fit has ferro armor but not endo structure :psyduck: so it took more cash than I anticipated to get it fit the way I want (2 LPLs, 3MLs, jump jets, full armor). The stock XL engine does make it more fragile, but I feel like I get cored more often than I lose a side torso and that I was going to get wasted anyway in those situations. It works great for chasing squirrels, and if I am patient and choose the right time to go apeshit I can cause a lot of trouble and die gloriously and sometimes scoop some butt meat. Heat is manageable as long as you don't alpha a lot. Definitely a good replacement for that competent-but-boring laser centurion.

So, now I have: 1 ECM raven with a ML/SRM mix, my crab (EL CANGREJO DE MUERTE), a stormcrow with a mix of SRM6 and SSRM6 that I call the sneezecrow, and a jaguar with UAC5s over small lasers. All pretty fun, easy-to-use idiot-proof mechs. I'm having a hard time deciding what heavy or assault to stick in my fifth mech bay, I kind of want something with mobility and deal-closing power. Once again I wish you could save a loadout on a chassis and swap with the push of a button like any number of other games.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Drakes posted:

Clans ACs are a bit worse than IS ACs 1 to 1. But you can generally slap on one more AC than IS mechs without heavy compromise.

The reduced tonnage for clans means more ammo and an easier time building a mech.

I do like that thumping sound effect when an IS cannon shell hits home though :allears:

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz
With my jumpy crab I went with the 2 LPL 3SPL build someone mentioned earlier, with XL300 and a single jumpjet, endo, ferro max armour. It's either a ninja on maps like Caldera where you can break line of sight below easily and really wreck buttes, or it dies super fast because I always gotta get myself in stupid situations. You go from a 5 kill streak to being the first guy to die several matches in a row.

Tujague
May 8, 2007

by LadyAmbien
That sounds like an intense build. One jump jet, so you can just slide up hills and stuff?

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

ZombyDog posted:

You go from a 5 kill streak to being the first guy to die several matches in a row.

This is me in every mech

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

In smurfy's MWO reference why does it give you two top speeds? One in blue, one higher in green? The one in blue seems to be the one I see? What is the green one?

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.

Krinkle posted:

In smurfy's MWO reference why does it give you two top speeds? One in blue, one higher in green? The one in blue seems to be the one I see? What is the green one?

That's how fast you'll go once you get a second tier upgrade for your mech that gives you a slight speed boost. You get access to the second tier of upgrades by getting all of the first tier of upgrades for three variants of that mech.

Pooncha
Feb 15, 2014

Making the impossible possumable
Blue is post-Speed Tweak top speed.

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz

Tujague posted:

That sounds like an intense build. One jump jet, so you can just slide up hills and stuff?
1 Jump jet is enough to get over most of the obstacles around the Caldera, onto the lower raised ponds in Bog, over the buildings in River City as well as skiing up Canyons and the back end of Candy Mountain. Also one jump jet is enough for you to do a quick hop, rotate your lower half 90 degrees and change forward direction once your feet hit the ground.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

TeeMerk posted:

Great Beer can you re post the 3 dad 9 urbie video please?

A little late because I spent my day off playing xcom 2. :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdQgTCKISyI

Pooncha
Feb 15, 2014

Making the impossible possumable
That video is a thing of beauty. :allears:

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

Willfrey posted:

you arent doing 120 damage with UAC 20. They aren't doing 20 damage per shot.

Clan UAC20 are sucky.

I know theyre not throwing 5 shells at 20 damage each, but they are doing 20 damage per shot (activation), which is 5 shells for 4 damage each.
I shot 6 times for 120 and a 4x8 from the lasers and he didnt die.

Is there any way, modules, certain mechs, that make clan any of the Clan-ACs worthwhile?

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Grinded all day, got my new engine, can't wait to try it out. Finally got the completed build. I'm zipping along. Waiting for the enemy to show themselves. Someone is spotted across town. I do jump jets and run out exactly on a fence on a ledge such that one leg is over the fence, one leg is not, I never recharge my jump jets because I've never touched ground, and I'm not allowed to walk in any direction or reorient my legs at all. And while the griffin has an impressive rotation angle, I by five degrees cannot even cover the tunnel they are coming from. People take pot shots at me but are too afraid to come at me directly because "why isn't he moving? What does he know that we don't know?" three minutes later I die.

That loving sucked.

I wanted to get a screenshot of it but the f3 thing would only take a picture of my back for some reason, after it was clear that nobody could bump me loose and I was a worthless scarecrow pointed the wrong way.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe

Yolomon Wayne posted:

I know theyre not throwing 5 shells at 20 damage each, but they are doing 20 damage per shot (activation), which is 5 shells for 4 damage each.
I shot 6 times for 120 and a 4x8 from the lasers and he didnt die.

Is there any way, modules, certain mechs, that make clan any of the Clan-ACs worthwhile?

Clan AC20's are to be avoided. even running twin ac20s on the dire sucks because ghost heat is pretty nasty on them. Twin UAC10's work on ebon jags or hunchie iic's.

double or triple uac5's are ok on most mechs that can fit them.

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

In pairing luxury automobiles with large predatory felines we have achieved reality ahead of schedule.

Willfrey posted:

Clan AC20's are to be avoided. even running twin ac20s on the dire sucks because ghost heat is pretty nasty on them. Twin UAC10's work on ebon jags or hunchie iic's.

double or triple uac5's are ok on most mechs that can fit them.

This.

Edit: my most successful EBJ build is 2xUAC10s and 5xERSMLs, and I have run almost everything imaginable on that frame aside from 3xUAC5s+whatever which I need to try next.

Sharks Dont Sleep fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Feb 9, 2016

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
So apparently Amazon bought the cryengine some time ago and has released a no liscence, no royalty version of it called lumberyard. Seeing as how it's actually being supported, it's already better than whatever version of the Cry engine MWO uses. I wonder how much asset interoperability exists between them.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Great Beer posted:

A little late because I spent my day off playing xcom 2. :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdQgTCKISyI

Oh my god. Forget Marauders, I want Urbies.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Sharks Dont Sleep posted:

This.

Edit: my most successful EBJ build is 2xUAC10s and 5xERSMLs, and I have run almost everything imaginable on that frame aside from 3xUAC5s+whatever which I need to try next.

As EBJs are the next project i am working on (2 more for basics and eliting my first) this is greatly appreciated.
I was worried i had to run a troll 4xLRM20 build.
Not that i have any AC10s though, but i might bite down and buy 2.

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
I don't know how to run my TBR-S. I went with 4x ASRM6 and a couple MLas, but I feel like my HBK-IIC does that better. Now I'm running a EBJ like build with 2x CUAC10 and MLas. Or I could make a Laservomit build. I dunno :(

crowbb
Feb 25, 2013
Slippery Tilde

Krinkle posted:

Grinded all day, got my new engine, can't wait to try it out. Finally got the completed build. I'm zipping along. Waiting for the enemy to show themselves. Someone is spotted across town. I do jump jets and run out exactly on a fence on a ledge such that one leg is over the fence, one leg is not, I never recharge my jump jets because I've never touched ground, and I'm not allowed to walk in any direction or reorient my legs at all. And while the griffin has an impressive rotation angle, I by five degrees cannot even cover the tunnel they are coming from. People take pot shots at me but are too afraid to come at me directly because "why isn't he moving? What does he know that we don't know?" three minutes later I die.

That loving sucked.

I wanted to get a screenshot of it but the f3 thing would only take a picture of my back for some reason, after it was clear that nobody could bump me loose and I was a worthless scarecrow pointed the wrong way.

This has happened to me several times, always while jump jetting around. I'll get stuck in place like a leg is caught in the scenery. I can hit jump jets but it does nothing and I can't move. It seems like I can rotate much further than usual when this happens but being rooted I am generally not around long.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

The Repo Man posted:

The 4 of us in units did 5-10 kills each. The pubbies hugged the gate and 4 made it with 3 mech left until the round ended. I'm dead inside. We lost 38-36, no o-gens destroyed.

oh dear :(

on the plus side what I found out is that the BLR-1S with four ER Large lasers can basically shut down a corridor against clans all by itself. I chilled in the left-hand tunnel leading out of Sulfurous' spawn on defense and did 1900 damage by just firing at any clanner that poked his head out while trying to deal with the rest of the team.

912m range is a hell of a thing.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Stringbean posted:

I don't know how to run my TBR-S. I went with 4x ASRM6 and a couple MLas, but I feel like my HBK-IIC does that better. Now I'm running a EBJ like build with 2x CUAC10 and MLas. Or I could make a Laservomit build. I dunno :(

This is my favourite of the timberwolves: TBR-C

Though it ends up crit locked, the precision means a bit of patience and you can always take apart another mech before it can deal damage in kind.

Alternately, this version TBR-C should kill things faster, but in reality it's a wash. The upcoming TC buffs might make it more noticeably powerful, though.

Super 3
Dec 31, 2007

Sometimes the powers you get are shit.

A.o.D. posted:

So apparently Amazon bought the cryengine some time ago and has released a no liscence, no royalty version of it called lumberyard. Seeing as how it's actually being supported, it's already better than whatever version of the Cry engine MWO uses. I wonder how much asset interoperability exists between them.

I just saw this and was reading up on it, but remember hope is the first step on the path to despair.

A Curvy Goonette
Jul 3, 2007

"Anyone who enjoys MWO is a shitty player. You have to hate it in order to be pro like me."

I'm actually just very good at curb stomping randoms on a team. :ssh:

EoRaptor posted:

Though it ends up crit locked, the precision means a bit of patience and you can always take apart another mech before it can deal damage in kind.

Alternately, this version TBR-C should kill things faster, but in reality it's a wash. The upcoming TC buffs might make it more noticeably powerful, though.

uhhh

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010

EoRaptor posted:

I took the omnipod direction, but replaced the 3x MPL that are on the torso and replaced them with 2x LPL to give me some extra range. It runs a smidgen hot, but if you just use the MPL when anything is within range it isn't too bad to handle.

Its kinda like a HBK-IIC-A but on a heavy with no high placed hardpoints. It's nifty, but I may just return to the SRM6 brawler... but boy howdy do I like Lasers.

e: Also with the TBC-S chassis you have a JJ in the Torso. It throws off that build.
VVVV I figured as much. I love omnipod mechs, because there's just so much to work with VVVV

Stringbean fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Feb 9, 2016

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Ahh, missed the specific -S request. I actually used the SRM+ML build for that, but a laser vomit mech is possible there too
TBR-S

As is a ballistic version
TBR-S

Oh, and an asymmetric version: TBR-S if you are used to twisting.

But not much is going to beat the SRM variant if you are using the -S CT

EoRaptor fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Feb 9, 2016

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

ZombyDog posted:

With my jumpy crab I went with the 2 LPL 3SPL build someone mentioned earlier, with XL300 and a single jumpjet, endo, ferro max armour. It's either a ninja on maps like Caldera where you can break line of sight below easily and really wreck buttes, or it dies super fast because I always gotta get myself in stupid situations. You go from a 5 kill streak to being the first guy to die several matches in a row.

Yeah, that sounds about right for a jumpy crab. It's my current favorite mech and it can really dish out some damage if used right. I use all five jump jets though. They really make a big difference and you can get some real height. You have to sacrifice a couple of heat sinks, but it's worth it.

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
Yeah gently caress it, I'm going back to the SRM brawler. I appreciate the builds. But I'm just a sucker for SRM and this thing was built for it.

I did do some finagling with the left torso and arm though. I don't think I need 5 JJ. 3 will suffice.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Olesh posted:

if PGI decided to add a "missiles shot down" counter and/or start offering minor XP/Cbill rewards for shooting down missiles with AMS, I suspect more people would start experimenting with having it and start putting 2 + 2 together in regards to how thoroughly AMS chumps LRM-heavy teams.

Do this. I've never used AMS. But even a minor c-bill/xp thing would make me throw it on.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Is the matchmaker hosed or something, im waiting 5-7 minutes to get a match with any tonnage today...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Is the matchmaker hosed or something, im waiting 5-7 minutes to get a match with any tonnage today...

http://mwomercs.com/forums/topic/189117-population-estimate-of-mechwarrior-online/

• Locked thread