Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Stringbean posted:

The mech we deserve:

The (I poo poo you not) Axman.
Come on :pgi: get your poo poo together.

Those arms look like they'd be really lovely for swinging an axe with

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

Internet Explorer posted:

Unfortunately, AMS are garbage. Just pick up something with ECM.

AMS's usefulness is directly proportional to how much incoming LRM fire the enemy team is throwing out and how much complementary AMS is on your team. If the enemy has a ton of LRMs and your team has a bunch of AMS on it, congratulations, AMS was guaranteed to have been incredibly useful that round.

ECM is helpful but dedicated long-range/LRM spam teams can and will have lights TAGing, NARCing, and throwing UAVs up. When Polar Highlands had just come out, I converted my NVA-S into a triple AMS SPL boat and made it my mission to hug teammates who had the incoming missile indicator until the brawl started. LRM spam was briefly so popular that I actually put more AMS ammo on because I was running out too early.

The main argument for taking AMS is generally that the opportunity cost is very small on most mechs - sacrificing a heatsink for an AMS and half a ton of ammo is often very doable, and AMS provides overlapping and stacking protection, so the more mechs on your team who bring it, the more protected the team is overall. The main argument against, of course, is that there are many situations where you can simply avoid incoming missiles by taking cover or by breaking line of sight, and there will be plenty of rounds where AMS never actually meaningfully prevents damage to you or your teammates - after all, if nobody on the enemy team brings LRMs or streaks, that AMS tonnage is wasted.

The main problem with AMS is that it can often be difficult to tell how useful AMS really was - there's very little feedback in terms to AMS's effects, which leads a lot of people to conclude it's wasted tonnage. If PGI decided to add a "missiles shot down" counter and/or start offering minor XP/Cbill rewards for shooting down missiles with AMS, I suspect more people would start experimenting with having it and start putting 2 + 2 together in regards to how thoroughly AMS chumps LRM-heavy teams.

high six
Feb 6, 2010

Pattonesque posted:

for real a melee pack with the Axman, Hatchetman, Berserker and ... Scarabus (for a light?) would keep PGI in the black for years

Tabletop-wise, there's a heavy or assault that goes super fast but only has small lasers, mainly made to punch things. Can't remember what it was but it's what I want.

Edit: Found it. Called the Charger (http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Charger). Apparently there's a super kawaii variant with a samurai sword too, so that's even funnier.

high six fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Feb 8, 2016

Marijuana Nihilist
Aug 27, 2015

by Smythe
Packing on triple AMS and ECM is worth it just so you can declare in all chat that their lurms are loving useless, come at me bro

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

hemale in pain posted:

Those arms look like they'd be really lovely for swinging an axe with

This is known as Failing at Forced Perspective.

Super 3
Dec 31, 2007

Sometimes the powers you get are shit.

Marijuana Nihilist posted:

Packing on triple AMS and ECM is worth it just so you can declare in all chat that their lurms are loving useless, come at me bro

Can anything pack triple AMS and ECM?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Super 3 posted:

Kit Fox

Super 3
Dec 31, 2007

I think I'd rather pack a triple AMS nova and hug a HBR buddy all match.

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

Knock downs weren't removed because of Goons <3 Paul. They were removed because they didn't work right and had huge animation and physics glitches that caused major problems with how the game played. The amount of work needed to fix them was huge and there were far more important things to work on back then so it got put in the backlog and has never made its way back out.

Melee is unrelated and was never in the design scope for the game. None of this means that those two things won't make it in at some point but they are not in the active list of things to add to my knowledge.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
It's not like melee has its own phase of the game in Battletech or anything.

Marijuana Nihilist
Aug 27, 2015

by Smythe

Super 3 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNf8nCeDaEE

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007

DiHK posted:

This is known as Failing at Forced Perspective.

I can't tell which leg belongs to which hip in that picture and it's bothering me more than it should

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Drythe posted:

lmao I'm making this

Can someone explain the gimmick? he sneaks up on missile boats and stands on them so his toes break all the missiles as they launch?

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz

Krinkle posted:

Can someone explain the gimmick? he sneaks up on missile boats and stands on them so his toes break all the missiles as they launch?

Triple AMS, lots of ammo and throw in an AMS module why not. The ECM is to help get close to the hapless LRM bot and jump on him unawares.

ZombyDog fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Feb 8, 2016

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I think most people would be happy if "melee" was just a very short range weapon that the Axeman/Hatchetman get access to as something mech-specific, to be fair.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Lemon Curdistan posted:

I think most people would be happy if "melee" was just a very short range weapon that the Axeman/Hatchetman get access to as something mech-specific, to be fair.

Just so. Click a button, play a canned animation. Do damage to something directly in front of you at a very limited range.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Do you guys really want :pgi: throwing in more things they have to "balance"?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Sorry, I will only support melee in MWO if it is in the form of a QTE akin to an intense light-saber battle between Jedi.

Herb Dington
Oct 6, 2013

Supraluminal posted:

On another topic: Granted that Catapults are currently bad robots, does anyone have any K2 builds that they like? I have one sitting around from a mastery pack and given that I have the others all elited I may as well mess with it. About all I can see is to make it into Yet Another LPL Boat, which the Jester is better for anyway. Dual Gauss is now clearly the domain of the Jager. Maybe its only use is as a funsies PPC platform after all.

Boomcat is still somewhat viable.

AC/40, engine, (lasers), blah blah blah. The close positioning of the AC/20s is nice for up-close brawlings, and your arms ears are sacrificial, so that's something.

TeeMerk
Jun 9, 2013
Great Beer can you re post the 3 dad 9 urbie video please?

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

Number19 posted:

Knock downs weren't removed because of Goons <3 Paul. They were removed because they didn't work right and had huge animation and physics glitches that caused major problems with how the game played. The amount of work needed to fix them was huge and there were far more important things to work on back then so it got put in the backlog and has never made its way back out.

Melee is unrelated and was never in the design scope for the game. None of this means that those two things won't make it in at some point but they are not in the active list of things to add to my knowledge.

That might even be the truth. But the fact of the matter is given the timeline, it looks a bit suspicious.

October 13th, 2012 - Paul gets tackled to death by goons.
October 25th, 2012 - Knockdowns removed

Coincidence? Sure, maybe. Knockdowns were buggy as hell and needed to go temporarily for plenty of other reasons, but "temporarily" has turned into more than three years. In that time, collisions between mechs remain very janky and problematic, as rubbing up against other mechs causes weird hitching and apparent teleportation from the perspective of one or both clients. Three years! There's just not a whole lot of faith to spare for PGI given years of past history. Sure, it's fun now, but when's the other shoe going to drop? It's bad enough that clan mechs are receiving even more unnecessary buffs and IS getting nerfs; I'm half expecting IS SRMs to get hit with more ghost heat or some other nerf in February just because close-in brawling is actually fun to play and prevalent right now.

Super 3
Dec 31, 2007

Krinkle posted:

His triple AMS is knocking them down as soon as they leave their launch tubes, he's just standing on them for comedy value. His ECM is making it so he doesn't pop up on their radar.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Olesh posted:

In that time, collisions between mechs remain very janky and problematic, as rubbing up against other mechs causes weird hitching and apparent teleportation from the perspective of one or both clients. Three years! There's just not a whole lot of faith to spare for PGI given years of past history.

There's nothing I love more than slightly scraping my leg on another 'Mech, or, Kerensky forbid, a pebble, and seeing my leg armor go orange.

Such a great and useful mechanic that increases fun!

EDIT: What is great and fun, though, is when I forget my Oxide has no Jump Jets and go flying off the side of Candy Mountain, only to press the spacebar frantically and look on in horror as my already beat up legs explode on impact and I die.

Devorum fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Feb 8, 2016

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

I personally love getting stuck in geometry in a light mech, having the game consider that I'm still gaining momentum during this time, and then lose half of my leg armor when I "land".

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.

sarmhan posted:

If the idea of an ECM spider with a hatchet doesn't sound like the best thing ever, something has to be wrong with you.

It doesn't need the hatchet. I like to imagine that most Spiders feature chest guns because they jump onto bigger 'mechs, use their clawed feet to dig in, their articulated hands to execute melee attacks literally tearing off the armor, and then fire the lasers into internals.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

novaSphere posted:

I personally love getting stuck in geometry in a light mech, having the game consider that I'm still gaining momentum during this time, and then lose half of my leg armor when I "land".

Yesterday I had that happen during an upward jump, and when it "corrected" it slingshotted my Griffin into the air, and I came down on the complete other side of the plateau i was trying to jump on top of (Viridian Bog), in the middle of an enemy lance.

It sucked, but was hilarious at the same time.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Yes. Don't run SRMs without Artemis.

Also, if you're going to put an XL in a 3M, I'd probably do this instead: http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=128&l=4b783ad7fb2326545788513b81004899f669b395

Not running max CT armour on anything is crazy.

You might be able to get rid of the two engine heatsinks for more SRM ammo, depending on how fast you run out of ammo/how fast you feel heat builds up.

If I can only do 81kph in the stock XL engine should I just do something else until I can farm up the 5 million for this larger engine? I don't feel like I can do laps around anything. King Crabs and timberwolves are pivoting on me with ease.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

novaSphere posted:

Like that one spawn point in new Caustic that will snap a Spider's leg off if you happen to get lucky enough to spawn there?

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012

Herb Dington posted:

Boomcat is still somewhat viable.

AC/40, engine, (lasers), blah blah blah. The close positioning of the AC/20s is nice for up-close brawlings, and your arms ears are sacrificial, so that's something.

Might be fun, yeah. Again looks like something the Jager can do a little better in pure min/max terms, but I can see that the K2's layout might be better for face-to-face brawling instead of mid-range/hill-hump ambushes. And I guess being forced to use a STD engine helps there too.

I really hope the Catapult rescale is a) soon and b) effective. I enjoy the Cats and do well enough in them, and they've been a favorite of mine ever since MW2: Mercs, but it rankles a bit to be at a disadvantage for such a dumb reason.

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
In the Star Citizen D&D thread

Devorum posted:

Yesterday I had that happen during an upward jump, and when it "corrected" it slingshotted my Griffin into the air, and I came down on the complete other side of the plateau i was trying to jump on top of (Viridian Bog), in the middle of an enemy lance.

It sucked, but was hilarious at the same time.

This happens on HPG manifold too, when you are trying to JJ onto the wall. I've had it slingshot me straight up, have gone over the wall and have been sent backwards like the hand of god was telling me no.

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012

Krinkle posted:

If I can only do 81kph in the stock XL engine should I just do something else until I can farm up the 5 million for this larger engine? I don't feel like I can do laps around anything. King Crabs and timberwolves are pivoting on me with ease.

Trying to circle enemies to death is rarely a great idea. It basically only works against bad pilots in the slowest assaults. You will have much better results by flanking through cover, attacking from behind, and running the gently caress away as soon as anyone tries to seriously engage you.

I mean, you can and should use agility to outmaneuver opponents in a dogfight when the circumstances allow it, but that almost always means using terrain, jump jets, other players, etc. etc. to keep the opponent from getting a solid bead on you, not just running laps.

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz
Running laps is a fools game and something I keep doing then dying while my target is laughing about scoring a free kill, don't be like me.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

ZombyDog posted:

Running laps is a fools game and something I keep doing then dying while my target is laughing about scoring a free kill, don't be like me.

Being an assault in the racecar around Caustic gives you this slow sinking pit in your stomach. The thought, "I should just turn around and face the music" rising the entire time.

TeeMerk
Jun 9, 2013

Olesh posted:

AMS's usefulness is directly proportional to how much incoming LRM fire the enemy team is throwing out and how much complementary AMS is on your team. If the enemy has a ton of LRMs and your team has a bunch of AMS on it, congratulations, AMS was guaranteed to have been incredibly useful that round.

ECM is helpful but dedicated long-range/LRM spam teams can and will have lights TAGing, NARCing, and throwing UAVs up. When Polar Highlands had just come out, I converted my NVA-S into a triple AMS SPL boat and made it my mission to hug teammates who had the incoming missile indicator until the brawl started. LRM spam was briefly so popular that I actually put more AMS ammo on because I was running out too early.

The main argument for taking AMS is generally that the opportunity cost is very small on most mechs - sacrificing a heatsink for an AMS and half a ton of ammo is often very doable, and AMS provides overlapping and stacking protection, so the more mechs on your team who bring it, the more protected the team is overall. The main argument against, of course, is that there are many situations where you can simply avoid incoming missiles by taking cover or by breaking line of sight, and there will be plenty of rounds where AMS never actually meaningfully prevents damage to you or your teammates - after all, if nobody on the enemy team brings LRMs or streaks, that AMS tonnage is wasted.

The main problem with AMS is that it can often be difficult to tell how useful AMS really was - there's very little feedback in terms to AMS's effects, which leads a lot of people to conclude it's wasted tonnage. If PGI decided to add a "missiles shot down" counter and/or start offering minor XP/Cbill rewards for shooting down missiles with AMS, I suspect more people would start experimenting with having it and start putting 2 + 2 together in regards to how thoroughly AMS chumps LRM-heavy teams.

It might be outdated now but when fighting the clans and streakcrows 12 fsr-9s with dual ams negated a lot of the streak fire, basically with mobility and calling targets to shoot legs you could cripple a team that brought those mechs.

You are right about AMS being situational though.

e: 280 xl 5 mpl 1 jj 2 ams 1 ton ammo and ams mod and mpl range was the build i think.

TeeMerk fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Feb 9, 2016

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe

Internet Explorer posted:

Being an assault in the racecar around Caustic gives you this slow sinking pit in your stomach. The thought, "I should just turn around and face the music" rising the entire time.

As a frequent assault pilot the best method is cutting across the caldera. better to get shot in the side rather than the back

Reztes
Jun 20, 2003

Bait and Swatch posted:

This happens on HPG manifold too, when you are trying to JJ onto the wall. I've had it slingshot me straight up, have gone over the wall and have been sent backwards like the hand of god was telling me no.

Where do you have to jump from to get up on the outer wall again? I remember seeing somebody do it in some video but I can't seem to find it anymore and it sure seems like the perfect place to put a shadow cat or other JJ & ECM mech.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
Any tips on how to get the most out of clan UAC20s?
I dont really get the feeling they do anything but take up weight.
Th spread of 5x4 damage feels way weaker than 20 damage in a single location. I know they got twice range, but with that bulletdrop/projectile speed it fires almost like a mortar.

Just now faced off a timberwolf and pumped 6 rounds of uac20 point blank into his CT, which to my knowledge should amount to roughly 120 damage, and topped off with a 4xmed laser burst before i got melted.
He didnt really seem too concerned.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Th spread of 5x4 damage feels way weaker than 20 damage in a single location. I know they got twice range, but with that bulletdrop/projectile speed it fires almost like a mortar.

Just now faced off a timberwolf and pumped 6 rounds of uac20 point blank into his CT, which to my knowledge should amount to roughly 120 damage, and topped off with a 4xmed laser burst before i got melted.

you arent doing 120 damage with UAC 20. They aren't doing 20 damage per shot.

Clan UAC20 are sucky.

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Clans ACs are a bit worse than IS ACs 1 to 1. But you can generally slap on one more AC than IS mechs without heavy compromise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
that's weird. My connection crashed while we were in the lobby and when I got back on, everyone had gone from the game and mumble :S

• Locked thread