Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

turtlecrunch posted:

http://webm.host/65cf1/vid.webm
Well fine then you dumb game, I didn't want any treasure anyway. I just like destroying physics objects! :owned:

iron arrows aren't much more than wooden ones and they're way more useful!

Alabaster White posted:

The answer is pretty much just :shrug:

oh :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Orv posted:

Ew, do you actually use the item box?

If only you had a pristine inventory like mine!!!

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.

Looper posted:

hi thread, i got this for christmas and have been playing and enjoying it pretty steadily but i have some ~*lore*~ questions

where is brume tower in relation to the iron keep? what is the old iron kingdom, rather

It's one of the various kingdoms that rose and fell upon Drangleic's soil. The King was a reincarnation of Lord Gwyn, and was possessed of a similar hubris. He spurned the Queen of the Peak's advances and entertained a large court of various exotic things and people. His downfall came when a Child of the Dark came and convinced him to consort with demons to build a huge iron castle.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Iceclaw posted:

It's one of the various kingdoms that rose and fell upon Drangleic's soil. The King was a reincarnation of Lord Gwyn, and was possessed of a similar hubris. He spurned the Queen of the Peak's advances and entertained a large court of various exotic things and people. His downfall came when a Child of the Dark came and convinced him to consort with demons to build a huge iron castle.

I thought the king was already dead and gone by the time Nadalia got there, which was why she went kinda ash crazy and Raime was able to squat there without bothering anyone. Gone to Iron Keep, even though Brume Tower looks more like the seat of power for the kingdom

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Looper posted:

hi thread, i got this for christmas and have been playing and enjoying it pretty steadily but i have some ~*lore*~ questions

x
x
x
why is vendrick's gear stashed away in the middle of nowhere in shrine of amana?
x

There's no definite answer, but a convincing one I heard is that they're his throne and his things from when he used to be all human. The maxi-sized pile of royal regalia is piled in a corner in his crypt. He apparently tried to dodge the undead curse by making himself (and Velstadt too, if his fuckhuge size is any indication) into some sort of a human-giant crossbreed using some vaguely defined powers extracted from the throne or the giants themselves (see the huge pile of experimented bodies in Aldia's keep). The curse eats at the human soul, so maybe shoving an immune giant one in its place would work? Except it didn't, dude went full jerky either way and you still score his original soul when he falls. Whatever he did still made him almost indestructible, but the only thing that we know is that you having souls of legit giants bobbing around is enough to break the spell.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Iceclaw posted:

I'd say that's half correct? The child of Dark (Nadalia) showed up after the Old Iron King's rule had passsed. OIK's downfall had nothing to do with her but instead with greed and hedonism eventually rousing the Smelter Demon from the earth, which in turn drowned the castle in fire and lava.

quote:

why is vendrick's gear stashed away in the middle of nowhere in shrine of amana?
Vendrick wasn't just hiding his gear there, but also his soul, to keep it away from Nashandra's influence. (You may note that he doesn't drop anything when killed.) There's a reason why when you find him, he's this crazed and mostly naked hollow. He realized the dangers of the throne, and of a child of Dark in particular manipulating it to their own ends. (This is why the door is locked to hollows, as a fail-safe against creatures with no Fire attempting to break in.)

quote:

how is alsanna still around after giving up her soul?
Most likely for the same reason that Vendrick can give up his soul and still exist. If a human does this sort of thing, they'll go hollow because they've removed all internal fire from themselves and thus have become creatures of Dark. But because Alsanna is already a child of Dark (a fragment of Manus, in particular), diminishing herself to that point doesn't qualitatively change anything about her.Giving away her soul does reduce her powers, but then again she was explicitly using them to cage the raging flame (ie, Fire) of the Old Chaos. And once you've defeated the Burnt Ivory King, that flame is sufficiently quelled that she can still cage what remains of it even with those reduced powers. Or so I'm guessing.

As for the enemy placement, some of that has always been a bit :shrug: in the Souls games, so I wouldn't sweat it too hard.

sex shop clearance rack
Jan 20, 2011
^By that logic, why isn't Velstadt also hollow?

I'm of the opinion that Velstadt isn't even a real person, just a construct of Nashandra. We see another child of Manus summon him out of thin air, and he seems far more intent on keeping Vendrick IN than in keeping others OUT. If this is true, it makes Raime's story even sadder, because he legitimately tried to save Vendrick and failed.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

ACTION AMERICAN posted:

^By that logic, why isn't Velstadt also hollow?

I'm of the opinion that Velstadt isn't even a real person, just a construct of Nashandra. We see another child of Manus summon him out of thin air, and he seems far more intent on keeping Vendrick IN than in keeping others OUT. If this is true, it makes Raime's story even sadder, because he legitimately tried to save Vendrick and failed.
Velstadt still has his soul. His particular deal is just that he's dead (his hammer explicitly states this) in the manner of Gravelord Nito and Grave Warden Agdayne. This in particular is why Elana can "summon" him, because she has some command over necromancy and is thus able to "summon" various undead like Velstadt or the skeletons. As for Velstadt being a construct jailer of Vendrick, the problem with that theory is that Nashandra ultimately wants access to the throne. This is, after all, the reason why she's the original final boss and you find her just outside the kiln used for the First Flame and for the true throne to link the fire/smother it. So if Velstadt is her creation who's jailing Vendrick, why does she need the PC undead to access the throne instead of just grabbing Vendrick far earlier?

sex shop clearance rack
Jan 20, 2011

NGDBSS posted:

Velstadt still has his soul. His particular deal is just that he's dead (his hammer explicitly states this) in the manner of Gravelord Nito and Grave Warden Agdayne. This in particular is why Elana can "summon" him, because she has some command over necromancy and is thus able to "summon" various undead like Velstadt or the skeletons. As for Velstadt being a construct jailer of Vendrick, the problem with that theory is that Nashandra ultimately wants access to the throne. This is, after all, the reason why she's the original final boss and you find her just outside the kiln used for the First Flame and for the true throne to link the fire/smother it. So if Velstadt is her creation who's jailing Vendrick, why does she need the PC undead to access the throne instead of just grabbing Vendrick far earlier?

Huh. I actually like this idea a lot more. He was always one of my favorite NPC's (I have a soft spot for every Souls smashy-paladin character, see my Garl Vinland post last page) and this theory sort of makes him a precursor to BLOODBORNE SPOILERS Martyr Logarius, in the sense that he's transcending death out of a sense of duty.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Obligatum VII posted:

If the armor set is anything to go by, it's actually stupidly fast casting magic. So they'd probably combo a spell into an axe to the face.

They cast the spell by hitting you really fast first

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Looper posted:

why the heck are two giants chilling at the bottom of black gulch?

The Gutter and Black Gulch is the refuge of everyone and everything that's unwanted in Drangleic. Presumably they fled or were chased down their after the war.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

As this game goes on it seems like areas are designed to test my loving patience more than anything. Sure just put 30 loving spellcasters with infinite range in a wide open area filled with deep water! String them along perfectly so that you're always in aggro range of the next caster when you get in range of one of them! Chuck in a poo poo ton of melee motherfuckers and have them hide under the waterline to keep players on their toes!

Like I'm fine with this kind of poo poo so long as it doesn't drag on too long, but it takes like 15 minutes to clear this room a single time if I ignore all the side paths. It's so god damned frustrating because if I make a single mistake I have to do it all over again and then I'm more likely to make a mistake next time etc.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Then you go back to that area after the endgame content but before NG+ and find out that it's still frustrating garbage tier level design with *SLOSH SLOSH SLOSH* sfx drowning out anything running at you.

Frigid Outskirts is still worse somehow.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
i liked shrine of amana and frigid outskirts

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Thievery posted:

According to the tooltips though none of them deal comparative damage, so I've just stuck with the fire sword. It's +8 too so leveling a new weapon is pretty daunting. I did just manage to get a large club up to +8 and it seems like a decent choice though.

Elemental weapons tend to do less damage despite having higher listed attack power. The reason is that elemental defenses cut off a fixed percent of damage that's higher than the flat amount physical defenses cut off. When you infuse a weapon, not only do you transfer some of it's damage to elemental, making it more easily resisted, you lower the physical damage component as well, meaning proportionally more of your damage is being cut off by physical defense. It's wise to infuse a weapon if it already has high elemental damage and you can buff it to increase the damage further, otherwise sticking to the plain version is almost always better. With your stats, a plain longsword is almost certain to be better than a fire longsword. You can go to Macduff and have him remove the fire infusion with a palestone, that way you can get a better weapon without having to re-upgrade.

I wonder if sometimes elemental weapons double dip on defense. For example, a magic pilgrims spontoon with CMW does poo poo damage to darklurker, in spite of the thing's low magic resistance and what should be pretty high magic damage on the spear, but if you use the same spear to shoot it with a sorcery, buffed and on a counter hit, it does massive damage.

Also, do try out other weapons. Greatswords like the claymore are especially nice; it's really obvious that the developers love that particular class of weapon because there is a greatsword for basically every single build.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

sirtommygunn posted:

As this game goes on it seems like areas are designed to test my loving patience more than anything. Sure just put 30 loving spellcasters with infinite range in a wide open area filled with deep water! String them along perfectly so that you're always in aggro range of the next caster when you get in range of one of them! Chuck in a poo poo ton of melee motherfuckers and have them hide under the waterline to keep players on their toes!

Like I'm fine with this kind of poo poo so long as it doesn't drag on too long, but it takes like 15 minutes to clear this room a single time if I ignore all the side paths. It's so god damned frustrating because if I make a single mistake I have to do it all over again and then I'm more likely to make a mistake next time etc.

Balanced somewhat by an extremely easy boss, but still not one of the stronger areas. It doesn't even have any lore context as far as I know, unless someone wants to Vaati up an explanation for me. It's vaguely related to the Crypt and by extension Nito I guess? The whole place seems meant to secure the Demon of Song but he's not really relevant anywhere else. It's like it's own little separate narrative.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Shrine of Amana looks reaaally cool, but turning into sniper city is not. If anything, at least it affirmed my decision to go all rogue-like adventurer by packing a shitload of weapons and tools with me at all times.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Deified Data posted:

Balanced somewhat by an extremely easy boss, but still not one of the stronger areas. It doesn't even have any lore context as far as I know, unless someone wants to Vaati up an explanation for me. It's vaguely related to the Crypt and by extension Nito I guess? The whole place seems meant to secure the Demon of Song but he's not really relevant anywhere else. It's like it's own little separate narrative.

The singing of the maidens in the Shrine of Amana seals the hollows in the Crypt, since hollows become docile when watching the fireflies summoned by the song. The fire temple at the end of Amana is the undead pilgrims' last chance to regain their humanity before sealing themselves in the crypt.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I hate that the Key to the Embedded is so powerful, but you can't take it to NG+

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

I know everyone says not to worry about it, but what should I be putting stat points into earlygame? I'm rocking a rapier right now off starting as a knight and have just got up to the Old Dragonslayer after beating the Pursuer, and holy hell if I want to be wearing the Dragleic set I'd have to dump a hell of a lot of points into just raising my carrying capacity to avoid ending up in the fat-roll zone.
So far at SL 50ish my stats are quite even for a melee guy, and I've been putting some into str in case I find a different weapon I like more, although most other stuff just seems so slow compared to what I'm used to. How far can I continue down this route until I'm hosed and have to reroll with the soul vessel thingy? And so far, all I've found in the way of upgrade materials has been enough titanite to get two weapons to +4, plus a bit of dragonbone that's evidently for something I haven't seen yet.

Also I summoned a guy called "one punch man" to help me kill the dragon, he definitely lived up to his name. A+++ would summon again.

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~
I tried going back to Dark Souls 2 to finish the Old Iron King and Ivory King DLCs after beating Bloodborne right after it came out. Got to a room with like 2 knights, 1 giant dude and 2 archers in it and that was the point where I closed the book on it. But some friends started playing DS2 last week so I decided to again try to progress. Ended up finishing both DLCs and feeling pretty fuckin' satisfied with myself.

This is your frequent reminder that Fume Knight and Hattori Hanzo are pretty amazing bosses, especially the former. Ivory King bosses all sucked except for ice kitty, who looked p cool but was boring.

Elerion
May 31, 2011

Crazy Achmed posted:

I know everyone says not to worry about it, but what should I be putting stat points into earlygame? I'm rocking a rapier right now off starting as a knight and have just got up to the Old Dragonslayer after beating the Pursuer, and holy hell if I want to be wearing the Dragleic set I'd have to dump a hell of a lot of points into just raising my carrying capacity to avoid ending up in the fat-roll zone.
So far at SL 50ish my stats are quite even for a melee guy, and I've been putting some into str in case I find a different weapon I like more, although most other stuff just seems so slow compared to what I'm used to. How far can I continue down this route until I'm hosed and have to reroll with the soul vessel thingy? And so far, all I've found in the way of upgrade materials has been enough titanite to get two weapons to +4, plus a bit of dragonbone that's evidently for something I haven't seen yet.
Super short guide to DS2 stats for a new player:
- Put enough points into STR/DEX to use a basic weapon you like the feel of. Note that you only need half the STR requirement if you are two-handing something. 12str / 12 dex lets you use pretty much anything that drops in the first few hours of the game to try out the moveset. PS: Bring a bow also.
- For armor, just wear what you think is pretty and keeps you under 70% equip weight. It doesn't hurt to have even lower weight, but some extra mitigation can also be nice. It's not a big deal to be honest. Don't upgrade your armor. Don't throw a lot of stat points into VIT to wear heavier armor unless FASHION SOULS. Most of the time you'll get more survivability out of other stats and just not getting hit as much.
- Put your Titanite materials into upgrading that basic weapon you like the feel of. Don't worry, you'll get more titanite. It can be worth being a Bellkeeper for a few hours when you get there if you like PvP. Save your Twinkling Titanite and Petrified Dragonbone for weapons you are sure to use for the rest of the game - those materials are less plentiful.
- Start leveling VIG/END/VIT/ADP/STR/DEX to 20.

At this point, you are level ~80 and can use almost every weapon in the game (two handed for big strength sticks). Your utility stats are at a softcap breakpoint and are sufficient to let you do anything. Do another review of your available weapons and how they feel (don't worry about damage - everything does good damage when fully upgraded). Pick one that feels good. See which stat that weapon scales best with. Level that stat to 40. Max upgrade that weapon.

There, that's your basic universal build completed. At this point, you can decide on your path forward. Want more damage and stay melee? Level both STR/DEX to 40 (unless your weapon doesn't scale at all with either). Want more survivability? Stack Vigor, it scales OK until 50. Want some magic in your life? Level Attunement to 10/12/16/20 (1/2/3/4 slots), then int and/or faith depending on what you want to do.

PS: If your agility is just below 96 or 99, prioritize points in adaptability until you reach those thresholds. They give you more i-frames on your roll, which is good. No need to sperg about getting all the i-frames, though.

If you want to do a different or more specialized build at this point, feel free to blow a soul vessel and respec.

Elerion fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Feb 9, 2016

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

sirtommygunn posted:

Get a bow or some other ranged option and it's not as bad. It sucks if you go melee only, I agree.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
I'm glad no one else does that part in melee, either.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
Ive done it melee only, as ive only played melee characters so far in ds2. It was frustrating.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

I did it melee only on my deathless run because I live on the edge.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Do we have any average notions for how much soul memory people tend to have by point X, Y or Z?

Elerion
May 31, 2011
Roughly 500k by point X. Not sure about Y and Z.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

Elerion posted:

Roughly 500k by point X. Not sure about Y and Z.

Around 4million by Z, plus or minus 3.5million :eng101:

Deified Data posted:

I'm glad no one else does that part in melee, either.

I've tried several times. Only played 2 characters in SotFS so far, but I've tried both melee there. First with the STR/DEX guy, who usually gets chased down by the robed guys, only to be blindsided by the mages.

Then my current failed attempt at pure-magic during NG end-game when I went Ice Sword/Blue Flame. This one is fine if you kite, but if you get caught on any ankle-high ledges, well you're hosed (so screw it, back to ranged).

There is a really good NPC archer by the last hut. Tons of damage, dodges magic, and simply walks straight off of underwater cliffs with panache 99% of the time you summon him...

On my quest to get all of the spells, I'm trying to get level 3 SunBro before going into NG+, and this is proving difficult--Vendrick's blessing means never having to worry about humanity. All of the activity is still Iron Keep and the DLCs, but there seems to be a rash of new players who like going Leeroy Jenkins against the bosses thinking they'll survive more than 2 hits, or that the chaos Loyce Knights won't gangbang them into the grave.

On my final tangent, I learned that you can indeed SunBro into NG+ from NG. My SM keeps climbing from the co-op (too lazy to Agape) and I got roughed up something fierce by an unexpected red Alonne Captain.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

So the uchigatana feels really weird to use. It's a long weapon but I misjudge the reach on it everytime.

Are the other Katana's any different in their moveset or use?

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
Uchi and Maneater have the best moveset imo. For how long it took me for 1 single blacksteel katana to drop I was quite disappointed in its versatility and power. Hilariously I had 3 of them drop for my punchyman in about 20 minutes.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

I guess Hanzo Steel is not for me then. :(

I'm in the Huntsman's Copse currently after doing cleanup in No-Man's Wharf and some other areas. No-Man's Wharf was this weird combination of funny and not-fun. I like the amount of ambushes they had setup that you could spot and ruin for them but the Darkdwellers took an annoying amount of hit to take down. Also the Flexile Sentry loses any intimidation as a boss when you've already fought one before the Last Sinner. Lucatiel just tanked the gently caress outta him while I hammered him down.

So Huntsman's Copse is slow to deal with. There's just so many guys hiding around the place that I pause every few steps, look around and proceed to snipe them with a crossbow to get them over. Also massive amount of blood pools are a good indication to stop a bit and check the area. Got to the Undead Purgatory and the NPC at the front just wrecked me. I guess I'll check out the rest of the area before coming back to him.

Oh also checked out two paths in the Shaded Woods, the winter thing and the one asking for the king's proof. The phantom there was a really cool & clever trap.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

scamtank posted:

Do we have any average notions for how much soul memory people tend to have by point X, Y or Z?

Seems like there are way too many variables for this. Lot of different directions people can go.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Golden Goat posted:

Got to the Undead Purgatory and the NPC at the front just wrecked me. I guess I'll check out the rest of the area before coming back to him.

NPC Black Phantoms in this game cheat like hell, especially that dude. I've had him do a loving 180' tracking jump attack before. Just shoot him with Poison Arrows or lure him out to the bridge, then run past him to get to the fog gate.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Black phantoms can roll out of being poise broken :suicide:

Or at least they can, from my experience

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Darke GBF posted:

This is your frequent reminder that Fume Knight and Hattori Hanzo are pretty amazing bosses, especially the former. Ivory King bosses all sucked except for ice kitty, who looked p cool but was boring.

You dislike Ivory King himself? He was kinda neat although certainly no Sir Alonne.

Golden Goat posted:

I guess Hanzo Steel is not for me then. :(

I'm in the Huntsman's Copse currently after doing cleanup in No-Man's Wharf and some other areas. No-Man's Wharf was this weird combination of funny and not-fun. I like the amount of ambushes they had setup that you could spot and ruin for them but the Darkdwellers took an annoying amount of hit to take down. Also the Flexile Sentry loses any intimidation as a boss when you've already fought one before the Last Sinner. Lucatiel just tanked the gently caress outta him while I hammered him down.

So Huntsman's Copse is slow to deal with. There's just so many guys hiding around the place that I pause every few steps, look around and proceed to snipe them with a crossbow to get them over. Also massive amount of blood pools are a good indication to stop a bit and check the area. Got to the Undead Purgatory and the NPC at the front just wrecked me. I guess I'll check out the rest of the area before coming back to him.

Oh also checked out two paths in the Shaded Woods, the winter thing and the one asking for the king's proof. The phantom there was a really cool & clever trap.
The run to the Purgatory is long and has an optional boss at the end so if you're not feeling up to it you can postpone till later. If you kill that phantom he won't respawn though, at least right now.

HGH fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Feb 9, 2016

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

NPC phantoms sound very unfun. I'll cheap them out with arrows if they're annoying.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
The new Forlorn guy in SOTFS is dumb as hell and probably uses the handle XXSSJsephirothXX in other games.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Knowing their backstory I like that interpretation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sex shop clearance rack
Jan 20, 2011
I never get tired of reposting this in regards to cheating ai: https://youtu.be/BS_EQxK9coE