Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
You can, in fact, donate to the government, but you don't get to decide where it goes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

That's been one of the most frustrating aspects of this whole standoff. The militia and their supporters continue to talk about how they haven't done any harm during their occupation choosing to be willfully ignorant of thousands upon thousands of dollars worth of damage they have done. Further afield the economy of Burns has been affected by this as well, a significant number of firms have only been doing half days during the occupation and schools have been closed for long stretches.

This is going to take a not insignificant amount of time for the area to recover, but the occupiers don't give two shits.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Skinty McEdger posted:

The militia and their supporters continue to talk about how they haven't done any harm during their occupation choosing to be willfully ignorant of thousands upon thousands of dollars worth of damage they have done. ...

Look, you can't start an armed insurrection begin the second American Revolution make an omelette without disrupting the lives of those around you cracking a few eggs, right?

Beowulfs_Ghost
Nov 6, 2009

Skinty McEdger posted:

Further afield the economy of Burns has been affected by this as well, a significant number of firms have only been doing half days during the occupation and schools have been closed for long stretches.

The refuge headquarters is a diaaster. But I bet that all in all, the town of Burns hasn't seen this kind of money pour in in a long time. All these protesters, press, and law enforcement buying food and fuel and renting hotel rooms.

I'm sure the locals would be happier if all this "tourism" money was from a county fair or a rodeo, and not from the spectacle of gun toting scofflaws. But when all is said and done, the feds will be footing the bill to clean up the refuge, and the local businesses are setting records for hotel occupancy and snack sale.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Imagine what the toilets are like

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
I really hope a lot of these "protesters" or co-conspirators get their property taken from them to help foot the Burns bill. It'll probably be the first taxes any of them have payed in a long while if not ever.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Beowulfs_Ghost posted:

The refuge headquarters is a diaaster. But I bet that all in all, the town of Burns hasn't seen this kind of money pour in in a long time. All these protesters, press, and law enforcement buying food and fuel and renting hotel rooms.

I'm sure the locals would be happier if all this "tourism" money was from a county fair or a rodeo, and not from the spectacle of gun toting scofflaws. But when all is said and done, the feds will be footing the bill to clean up the refuge, and the local businesses are setting records for hotel occupancy and snack sale.

The local press have had a few articles up talking about the effects on the local economy. You're right in so much as they haven't had this number of people in the town in forever, but the actual industries and businesses that support the town aren't tourist driven and have been hit by the lost man hours and the disruption to the town. The tourism aspect is great for the hotels and diners, but wider afield iits had negative knock on effects.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Crabtree posted:

I really hope a lot of these "protesters" or co-conspirators get their property taken from them to help foot the Burns bill. It'll probably be the first taxes any of them have payed in a long while if not ever.

Supposedly a lot of loose guns were left behind at the refuge for some reason. They can have an auction!

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.
Obligatory joke about a dildo-tarp-and-gun gift shop, insert here.

I can understand Fry, though. Just like for the people who joined ISIS, he's having the time of his life right now. The minute of fame, more or less. Even if he did not go to prison (won't happen, but assuming a hypothetical), what awaits him in his life outside the refuge? Being a complete no one. It's also like all those people suiciding themselves because they see no future except debt, chronic pain, and more of the same.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Space Skeleton posted:

Supposedly a lot of loose guns were left behind at the refuge for some reason. They can have an auction!

They probably will. With any luck the guns will show up at the next crazy militant take over, much like the auctioned bitcoins that still keep giving.

FetusSlapper
Jan 6, 2005

by exmarx

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Imagine what the toilets are like

Yeah that septic tank is probably gonna need to be dug up.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

Does the refuge have showers?

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Space Skeleton posted:

Eh, they'll likely be taken as evidence. then held in storage for a while till everything settles, then destroyed. Doubly so if there's any illegal modifications made

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Skinty McEdger posted:

Does the refuge have showers?

Yeah, they mentioned it once back before it was camp bluetarp

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

SocketWrench posted:

Eh, they'll likely be taken as evidence. then held in storage for a while till everything settles, then destroyed. Doubly so if there's any illegal modifications made

Good thing santilli was videotaping everything, they might be able to pick out who owns some of the illegally-modified guns and possibly charge them.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

meristem posted:

BRB, putting in an NEA grant request.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

FAUXTON posted:

Their episode on the Fenian Brotherhood is magical.

their irish voices are the best. "aint it a thirst"

their iraq war one is great and depressing, because you could see that everything could have gone alright if the bush admin had actualy listened to the cia/anyone and not hired retards and shills.

meristem posted:

I can understand Fry, though. Just like for the people who joined ISIS, he's having the time of his life right now. The minute of fame, more or less. Even if he did not go to prison (won't happen, but assuming a hypothetical), what awaits him in his life outside the refuge? Being a complete no one. It's also like all those people suiciding themselves because they see no future except debt, chronic pain, and more of the same.

pretty much. he is the dumb disenfranchised 20 somthing year old who terrorists/cults/whoever like to pick up.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Dapper_Swindler posted:

their irish voices are the best. "aint it a thirst"

Cloauuevers.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Skinty McEdger posted:

That's been one of the most frustrating aspects of this whole standoff. The militia and their supporters continue to talk about how they haven't done any harm during their occupation choosing to be willfully ignorant of thousands upon thousands of dollars worth of damage they have done. Further afield the economy of Burns has been affected by this as well, a significant number of firms have only been doing half days during the occupation and schools have been closed for long stretches.

This is going to take a not insignificant amount of time for the area to recover, but the occupiers don't give two shits.

Their whole philosophy is just an excuse for them to act like selfish jackasses while getting to feel self-righteous. At no point has caring about outsiders as anything other than potential supporters ever entered their minds. They just don't want to be introspective enough to become self aware and lose the empowered thrill by realizing how terrible they are.

For all their ridiculous "non-violent" gun-toting approach, I'm sure that they'd have some way to justify themselves as innocent even if they had gotten around to shooting someone.

ChlamydiaJones
Sep 27, 2002

My Estonian riding instructor told me; "Mine munni ahvi türa imeja", and I live by that every day!
Ramrod XTreme

Crabtree posted:

I truly hope that this cost is spread across every single person that participated in this insurrectionist bullshit; http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2016/01/12/3738570/the-true-victim-of-the-bundy-occupation-is-taxpayers/

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
https://twitter.com/Patztense/status/696855971386302468

But how can you fit more unemployed sovcits in a trailer park?

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May

Knight posted:

No hotheads but they want to make a stand against the federal government? Does not compute.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Talmonis posted:

The Rube had me laughing so hard my coworkers had to investigate to see if I was ok.

My favorite dollops are the ones that basically prove that rules are the only reasons we don't behave like insane animals and when rules cease to be enforced, the inevitable happens

Basically 10 cent beer night and the ford pinto are the best ones

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

I think that's just how SovCits offer to split a rental? :psyduck:

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

Okay I take it back, the people of Burns just need to make sure they have a handful of people walking round every day in jackets that say "FBI" and get those sweet sweet Sov Cit tourist dollars.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Dapper_Swindler posted:

their irish voices are the best. "aint I got a thirst"

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Skinty McEdger posted:

It's not even that they don't care, it's just that they're so self absorbed they think that this isn't their fault, it's the FBI's.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Kro-Bar posted:

No hotheads but they want to make a stand against the federal government? Does not compute.

Makes perfect sense. They want to be able to claim making stand and bluster it all up like before, but not have the one or two psychos that's ready to actually follow through. These people just have a cowardly spoiled child mentality.

VotGs
Dec 15, 2003

Don't mind me.
There are several organizations in and around Burns that have been supporting the Refuge.

Friends of Malheur is one: http://www.malheurfriends.org/ This is an all around non-profit that assists Refuge projects, and gathers volunteers to help with the big projects that just need manpower. It's referenced directly on the fed website about Malheur, so is probably the best choice.

Malheur Field Station: http://www.malheurfieldstation.com/ This is a group that runs a bunch of buildings down the way from the actual Refuge HQ, where they bunk researchers and students who come out during the summers.

Supporting either of those will get money directly where it needs to go, I think.

kartikeya
Mar 17, 2009

meristem posted:

While I get your assessment of Fry, I'm not sure I'm seeing the connection between 'doesn't want to give up their internet attention' and 'can't see a way to continue living that isn't full of one sort of intolerable pain or another'.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

so wait is Cliven heading north now?

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

Knight posted:

Is an RV park different than a trailer park?

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit

Armyman25 posted:

Is an RV park different than a trailer park?

RV parks are more like campgrounds for RVs. So its a trailer park but the trailers actually move sometimes.

Winter Stormer
Oct 17, 2012

Kro-Bar posted:

Maybe they should picket the RV park for not billing itself as the Gateway to the Harney County Resource Center.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

kartikeya posted:

While I get your assessment of Fry, I'm not sure I'm seeing the connection between 'doesn't want to give up their internet attention' and 'can't see a way to continue living that isn't full of one sort of intolerable pain or another'.

Because the moment he stops living the sovcit dream, he's going to prison for a long time, and he knows it. Even if he doesn't, by all accounts his life was (self-sabotaged) kinda lovely and aimless, and for probably the first time in his life he's someone that matters, albeit in a pretty hosed-up way. For someone with that kind of validation issue, going back is like taking a deep breath and then being forced back onto a ventilator.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

InterFaced posted:

RV parks are more like campgrounds for RVs. So its a trailer park but the trailers actually move sometimes.
Yeah, they'll look similar to trailer parks, in that they have a bunch of cement plats with water, sewer, and electrical hookups for people in motorhomes and camping trailers travelling cross-country. They're not intended to be permanent living sites, but some people do it. They also usually have things like a laundromat and small grocery store on-site. KOA is probably the most common national chain.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

No Butt Stuff posted:

so wait is Cliven heading north now?

Apparently. And bringing these with him

While grabbing that image I discovered that she believes cancer is a fungus

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

SocketWrench posted:

I know you meant guns, but now I'm trying to imagine dildos with illegal modifications.

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

SocketWrench posted:

I'd be highly surprised if one of the ex-occupiers doesn't come forward asking for his gun back. "Yes, mr. FBI agent, that one. The desert camo one with the folding stock and illegal full-auto modification. You can tell it's mine because it has 'this machine kills niggers' engraved on the side. Can I have it back...? why are you handcuffing me?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

As a Millennial I posted:

Apparently. And bringing these with him

While grabbing that image I discovered that she believes cancer is a fungus

Other choice quote from the article, "If these young, hot little girls on campus have a firearm, I wonder how many men will want to assault them."

:stare:

• Locked thread