Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
Holy poo poo I hate that 3D model art work. I honestly don't think I could pledge to it if that's what it will look like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
The art is pretty ugly, but it still sounds significantly like my jam.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Some of you might remember STAR PATROL from last August. The dude previously had a solid rep of turning games around and out in short time. Over the last six months he's been in printer hell getting hosed over again and again. He's basically leading a master class on how to handle a Kickstarter that goes wrong: continued updates with details, tracking numbers for the delayed components as they ship, and pictures when they arrive. He's been through frustration, anger, and resignation; now he's settled in a sort of grim determination to put this game out no matter who says otherwise.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
In the comments for The Walking Dead game, Mantic said that there's gonna be another expansion added to the base pledge. Presumably the Hershel's Farm one. That thing is gonna end up being a really good value

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot

Prefect Six posted:

It's called Ares Project.

I saw this in a shop like four or five years ago and vaguely considered it. Thank you for reminding me of it's existence!

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.
7th Sea second edition is up: https://www.kickstarter.com/project...mpaign=audience

What's the betting it'll be out before Far West?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Flavivirus posted:

What's the betting that the Sun will still rise tomorrow, that gravity won't randomly stop working in the next 60 seconds, and that water is in fact wet?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Flavivirus posted:

7th Sea second edition is up: https://www.kickstarter.com/project...mpaign=audience

Wasn't 7th Sea dumb? I seem to remember something about a stupid metaplot twist or two.

Not that I'm giving Wick money regardless; I'm just wondering.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Evil Mastermind posted:

Wasn't 7th Sea dumb? I seem to remember something about a stupid metaplot twist or two.

ALIENS

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Evil Mastermind posted:

Having a stupid metaplot twist or two is John Wick as gently caress.

(I think it actually happened after he stopped writing for it, jokes aside)

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.

Flavivirus posted:

Well, apparently there's already a backer preview up, so that's a step ahead of Far West already!

Evil Mastermind posted:

Being fair, the metaplot stuff was almost all after Wick wasn't working on the line, but it was very...Wickian, in that there was a whole thing with "Almost every form of magic used by PCs is slowly destroying the world and letting in cthulhoid horrors. Who knows if that's staying given that he's already promised to fix other dumb bits, like "Our game advertising pirates and swashbuckling has no Africa or New World and almost no reason to travel by sea."

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
7th Sea is the one with the incredibly transparent real-world-analogue nations, and eventually the alien metaplot that actually didn't really change anything about the game because no one gave a poo poo about it.

I'm glad that he's still making zero efforts to make his fictional countries anything more than obvious pastiches. No prizes for guessing what the Sarnation Commonwealth is going to be.

unseenlibrarian posted:

Who knows if that's staying given that he's already promised to fix other dumb bits, like "Our game advertising pirates and swashbuckling has no Africa or New World and almost no reason to travel by sea."

The Americas supplement is even part of the KS.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Feb 9, 2016

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

7th Sea had a lot of flaws but the setting worked because of the pastiches, it made for a pretty rich and pulpy world and frankly the original system was the best representation of swashbuckling action (and even actual swordfighting) that I've ever seen. I admit, despite my 7th Sea avatar, that I haven't played it in ages and never actually got to play it much but I'm pretty excited about the notion if only because there's just no other game like it.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

rantmo posted:

7th Sea had a lot of flaws but the setting worked because of the pastiches

You can certainly do a swashbuckling setting without lazily transposing 15-17th century European nations into your game with zero effort made to make them interesting (and zero effort to make sure you're spelling foreign words correctly), though.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
Hey, be fair.

It also lazily transposed 11th century European nations, given the not-Vikings.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

unseenlibrarian posted:

Being fair, the metaplot stuff was almost all after Wick wasn't working on the line, but it was very...Wickian, in that there was a whole thing with "Almost every form of magic used by PCs is slowly destroying the world and letting in cthulhoid horrors.
Yeah, that's pretty Wickian, alright. The only thing missing is the :smuggo:.

In other news, Fate More has less than 48 hours left, but sadly it doesn't look like it's going to hit the $60k mark. Still, it's unlocked goals to make the content of the Atomic Robo RPG and Venture City OGL, so it'll be interesting to see if other games start picking that stuff up.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Flavivirus posted:

So the book is 60 bones and the stretch goals will be paid addons?

Bleh

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

alg posted:

So the book is 60 bones and the stretch goals will be paid addons?

Bleh

Doesn't look like it. It's $40 for the core book and New World supplement as PDFs, PDFs of all stretch goals, and PDFs of all the first edition books. The $60 gets you the core book only in print, but all the same PDFs as the $40 tier.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Though the $40 for PDFs of everything in the KS and every 1st edition book isn't a terrible value.

JesterOfAmerica
Sep 11, 2015
I did a quick back to get the quickstart because I want to see if the system is unbearably wicky

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Lemon Curdistan posted:

You can certainly do a swashbuckling setting without lazily transposing 15-17th century European nations into your game with zero effort made to make them interesting (and zero effort to make sure you're spelling foreign words correctly), though.

That's Wick for ya.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Wick posted:

In most roleplaying games, you start off as a 1st-level loser who’s terrified of the goblin with a broken knife.

Most roleplaying games? Most? :ironicat:

I've backed I think two Wick projects and I can tell you two things - (1) you will get constant WickSpam, and (2) he's actually very professional, and there should be pretty much no problems with fulfillment. Both of those projects (Wicked Fantasy and that weird one where you're a magic item) shipped without any significant hiccups that I can remember.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Doesn't look like it. It's $40 for the core book and New World supplement as PDFs, PDFs of all stretch goals, and PDFs of all the first edition books. The $60 gets you the core book only in print, but all the same PDFs as the $40 tier.

Yeah PDFs aren't much use to me. I'm not familiar with Wick so it's not much of a let down anyway.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

dwarf74 posted:

Oh man, is he going to tell us all about how he's not including alignments next?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I have to say, I'm almost tempted to back this at the $40 level for the 1e PDFs, even though I'm loathe to give Wick any money. :(

dwarf74 posted:

Let's be fair, most people think that most roleplaying games are D&D. :v:

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
What is it about Wick that everyone hates? I thought the original was fairly well liked overall. And I think the whole "gets stronger the more injured you are" thing is super fun and genre savy.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

unseenlibrarian posted:

Oh man, is he going to tell us all about how he's not including alignments next?
In this game you don't need to worry about straitjackets like classes! In fact, the sky's the limit! Want a Dwarf Wizard? You can do that in my fantastic and novel system which uses a d20 for task resolution!

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Hiro Protagonist posted:

What is it about Wick that everyone hates? I thought the original was fairly well liked overall. And I think the whole "gets stronger the more injured you are" thing is super fun and genre savy.

He's the platonic ideal of a condescending semi-literate douche GM.

JesterOfAmerica
Sep 11, 2015
My god this is one the fastest kickstarters I've seen. 7th Sea looks cool despite the Wickisms.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Hiro Protagonist posted:

For the most part, John Wick is a pretty good game designer.

The problem is that he has this whole...persona he dubs "The Wick" that is a total "I'm telling the TRUTH and being REAL sorry you can't handle that" thing. He wrote two books of the douchiest, killer-DM-est, get-your-players-to-lynch-you confrontational GM bullshit with that tone.

http://projects.inklesspen.com/fatal-and-friends/alien-rope-burn/john-wicks-play-dirty/

http://projects.inklesspen.com/fatal-and-friends/alien-rope-burn/john-wicks-play-dirty-2-even-dirtier/

e: there was also that whole "I can't believe people cared more about the premiere of Third Edition D&D than my game that released the same weekend" rant.

Beo
Oct 9, 2007

My friend made a cute little card game https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/115666883/vampsylvania-a-card-and-dice-game-of-cute-cartoon

It's fun has cute art with some funny ways to be a dick to your friends. For 7 bucks you can make your own deck or buy it for 20-25.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Hiro Protagonist posted:

He's got a well-deserved reputation going back to the 90's where he was one of the most 90's-est designers ever, steeped in cynicism and a desire to always be over-the-top. It shows in his settings where pretty much everything sucks all the time, heroes fail, the light in the darkness is only there to be extinguished, and only the anti-hero has the wherewithal to sacrifice his own soul to save the world.

You know. Like everything else in the 90's.

e: But yeah, he has been a decent enough designer and, like I said before, he's more professional than most independent designers in the industry. He'll finish what he promises.

dwarf74 fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Feb 9, 2016

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord

dwarf74 posted:

e: But yeah, he has been a decent enough designer and, like I said before, he's more professional than most independent designers in the industry. He'll finish what he promises.

Whether it's any good is another matter entirely: http://projects.inklesspen.com/fatal-and-friends/tk31/the-aegis-project/

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I hope one of the stretch goals is a rerelease of the card game in LCG format.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Mantic has posted the Walking Dead rules

https://www.manticdigital.com/product/the-walking-dead-all-out-war-playtest-rules/

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

If you're like me and enjoy Sentinels of the Multiverse, they just launched the KS for the final expansion. Add-ons include packs of all the hero variants and a specially designed case that will hold all the cards.

They made $120k in about 45 minutes. :psyduck:

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

dwarf74 posted:

The real issue, at least, it that the original 7th Sea chargen is full of trap options and is pretty badly balanced. So the exultation of "you're a hero!" needs to be more like "you're a hero!... as long as you know Panache owns bones and that the swordsman schools aren't worth the cost."

Maybe the new edition fixes all that, but given Wick's general disdain for rigorous design, I wouldn't expect it.

The setting is neat enough, tho, and $40 for everything is a sweetheart deal.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Evil Mastermind posted:

If you're like me and enjoy Sentinels of the Multiverse, they just launched the KS for the final expansion. Add-ons include packs of all the hero variants and a specially designed case that will hold all the cards.

They made $120k in about 45 minutes. :psyduck:

Can't wait to see the mass dump of every stretch goal they announced.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Wick also plagiarized, and badly, huge chunks of encyclopedia text for the first (and second?) editions of Legend of the Five Rings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
TBF, material in the original L5R is hard to credit, since the 1st edition actually had over a half-dozen authors brought in to "rescue" the early draft Wick put in ( I think a term he used for it was "unpublishable").

2nd edition didn't involve Wick, at least not directly.

• Locked thread