Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

bull3964 posted:

It's not a time thing, it's a probability thing. With that density, it is very probable to have an unrecoverable read error on at least one sector during the rebuild. If could take 30 days or 5 minutes, it doesn't matter. The math doesn't work out in favor of a successful rebuild
A read error or two is the least of the worries. If your adapter only dedicates 30% of its CPU time to rebuild operations in order to maintain disk performance, you're a whole lot more likely to be pooched by a second drive failure in the year and a half it takes for that array to rebuild at that rate. If the timing is increased you reduce that risk by a hair. And also just think of the constant stream of pee that would be coming out of you during the rebuild. The faster it goes, the drier your pants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

DigitalRaven posted:

Both sides are lazy, is the problem. Facilities manager neither changed our office door lock nor collected the keys from the previous occupants after we moved in; it took three years badgering him before that changed. Occy Health, on the other hand, play "do the online posture training and risk assessment thing that takes five hours because it's full of lovely animations and achingly slow scrolling, then we'll tell you it's up to local Facilities" game.

Couple of years ago one of our sub-companies had to pay out the rear end for someone's workers compensation all because they ignored a request for chairs. As in tens of thousands of dollars all from trying to save 500.

In a not really related to work, I ordered a new graphics card for my HTPC to replace its out of date card, and the new card is just over a inch longer which puts the 6pin power connector directly under the drive bay. Go me.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Knowing business, they'd rather take the risk of you going on worker's comp than pay for some little thing like that.

Plus that means they don't have to take their eyes of Facebook and ESPN for the 10 minutes it would take to order you the chair.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

xzzy posted:

Pfft, 12. Try 60. :buddy:

(everything unproducible is on tape, spinning disk is just cache for faster access)
So when your array shits the bed, how fast is tape going to be?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

DigitalRaven posted:

So now I get to play Catch-22 in the hopes of getting something that isn't a £30 piece of poo poo and maybe not being in pain when I'm in the office. Tempted to just buy a decent chair off eBay and give my boss the bill.
Go see a doctor who can recommend you what kind of back support you need. Get it in writing and take that to your boss.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

CitizenKain posted:

Couple of years ago one of our sub-companies had to pay out the rear end for someone's workers compensation all because they ignored a request for chairs. As in tens of thousands of dollars all from trying to save 500.

In a not really related to work, I ordered a new graphics card for my HTPC to replace its out of date card, and the new card is just over a inch longer which puts the 6pin power connector directly under the drive bay. Go me.

Yep I had that problem when I built my gaming system (vid card too long). Rather than the easy route (buy new case and repurpose the older one), I took everything out and dremmel'd the gently caress out of that drive cage.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Got a new server!

Had to use the old drives with over 50,000 hours on them, with no offsite backup solution. :magical:
Don't worry, ask me about it in May! Says the boss.

Well I sure as gently caress hope our ancient non-enterprise drives work until then!

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
Cripes, I mean it took everything going to poo poo to have approval for buying a new server, but I couldn't imagine not being allowed to order new drives for it.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Super Slash posted:

Cripes, I mean it took everything going to poo poo to have approval for buying a new server, but I couldn't imagine not being allowed to order new drives for it.

Don't worry, 800$ for a SAN setup was too much! Ask again in May! :v:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Just because poor office planning has placed me in the same part of the landscape as the helpdesk guys doesn't mean you can bother me and refuse to leave when they're not available. They have a helpdesk phone hunt group precisely for this reason.

I don't care that your kids hosed up your mobile mail. Take your phone and stick it where the sun don't shine (and your kids can't find it). :mad:

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Collateral Damage posted:

Just because poor office planning has placed me in the same part of the landscape as the helpdesk guys doesn't mean you can bother me and refuse to leave when they're not available. They have a helpdesk phone hunt group precisely for this reason.

I don't care that your kids hosed up your mobile mail. Take your phone and stick it where the sun don't shine (and your kids can't find it). :mad:

I had a sales guy at my consulting company come in with his laptop all loaded up with malware, and he wanted me to fix it. The problem ended up being some network scanning tool he installed, it was supposed to run a Daemon that checked your home network for health, but it also had a built in firewall and all that. Numerous times I cleaned it all up, and I kept telling him to stop installing all his own programs, like Minecraft, Worlds of Warcraft, these firewalls and antivirus stuff. I couldn't take away his admin access, for reasons.

One time he came in with his laptop all garbaged up and complained to my boss that all this stuff was on his home PC, so why didn't it mess it up. My boss didn't take my side and threw me under the bus.

Later, I told the sales man that if he installed anything other that what he specifically needed, I'd take his computer and turn into a glorified word processor.

He was fired a week later because sales is a revolving door.

Second anecdote:

The tech desk area had a small office to the back corner that was for a salesman. The guy that went back there always got fired with in a month. We hung an exit sign above the door, and whenever a sales guy got moved to it, he'd ask us about the sign. We'd say "oh you'll find out."

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Skandranon posted:

That sounds insane. Backblaze only does 3 mirrors by 15xZ arrays (I think). Is this just a backup array that is barely referred to?

Well they claim they use it full bore 24/7, but it's probably more like 75% of the advertised maximum throughput. It's high energy physics analysis, and the disks feed a batch cluster. Jobs are typically waiting for subsets of the data to copy to the batch node, and that's the least efficient part of the chain.

Don't get me wrong, keeping it all going isn't easy.. swapping out disks is basically a full time job. But like I said previously in ~10 years I can't recall losing a single array to disk failures. And I'm not saying there's no risk and everyone should abandon best practice.. just that losing an array during a rebuild is extremely rare.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

My new coworker who has been here full-time for just under two weeks now is probably getting written up today for being a dumb rear end!

And I finally convinced our Finance department to replace a decrepit printer at one of our sites. Gave them the pricing info and they decided they would rather buy than lease!!!! but....but...that's how we got into this mess in the first place whyyyy

:suicide:

Salesman for said printer also decided to just show up unannounced at my office today. Yeah that ain't cool bro and please stop trying to high-five me.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
Sales Guy: "Hey Mogomra, I have a really simple request for you. I just need you to figure out how many Twitter followers were exposed to this set of tweets."

Ok, so there are 456 unique users I need to get a list of followers for.

poo poo pissing me off: Twitter rate limits their endpoints to 15 or 30 calls per 15 minute interval. Cool, thanks.

I can't believe I've been reduced to complaining about Twitter of all things. :negative:

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

There's tools for that, you know.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Skandranon posted:

That sounds insane. Backblaze only does 3 mirrors by 15xZ arrays (I think). Is this just a backup array that is barely referred to?

That's how they did it at first:

Now they do things quite differently with their 'vault' design:

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Mogomra posted:

Sales Guy: "Hey Mogomra, I have a really simple request for you. I just need you to figure out how many Twitter followers were exposed to this set of tweets."

Ok, so there are 456 unique users I need to get a list of followers for.

poo poo pissing me off: Twitter rate limits their endpoints to 15 or 30 calls per 15 minute interval. Cool, thanks.

I can't believe I've been reduced to complaining about Twitter of all things. :negative:
https://analytics.twitter.com/user/[your twitter username]/tweets

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

Jeoh posted:

There's tools for that, you know.

Thanks for this. If there are other tools for this stuff that I don't know about, I'm all ears.

As it is, I can't figure out how analytics.twitter.com would help me run the report I ran, but I'm not sure I'm not just social media retarded.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Doesn't the 'impressions' number on the Tweet tell you what you're after?

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

Thanks Ants posted:

Doesn't the 'impressions' number on the Tweet tell you what you're after?

Yeah, but I'd need to go to each individual user's analytics page and manually search for that tweet. I think the data there is good, but doing that 456 times defeats the purpose. At that point, I might as well just wait a few hours and get the data from the API with the rate limiting.

Mogomra fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Feb 9, 2016

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Ah I misunderstood, I thought you were trying to find out who saw a set of Tweets from your own feed.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
Welp I am :yotj: this year, no doubt in my mind. Working as Help Desk Manager for my department, have improved the department pretty drastically, people are a lot happier with us lately, etc.

Just had my annual evaluation - exemplary in every single category. Best evaluation he's ever given. Nope, no raise, but you can change the title in your email signature to take out the meaningless "Assistant" in front of your current title if you want! Also, that new pretend email signature title will ironically match a position that HR has listed as paying $20k more than you make now.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Last week I requested a meeting with my boss to go over something for Legal.

I asked him on Tuesday. I asked him again on Friday. I asked him yesterday.

Today, Legal gets grumpy because I don't have this thing done yet. I've got a C-level asking about it. I finally just corner my boss, and that's when I get the lecture.

It's his favorite lecture. The one about "owning your mistakes" and "driving things to completion".

gently caress you. I've been waiting on you. I can't make you do anything. I've reminded you three goddamned times in the last five business days. You knew about this! We talked about this! WHY THE gently caress IS YOUR LACK OF RESPONSIBILITY MY GODDAMNED PROBLEM?

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

Welp I am :yotj: this year, no doubt in my mind. Working as Help Desk Manager for my department, have improved the department pretty drastically, people are a lot happier with us lately, etc.

Just had my annual evaluation - exemplary in every single category. Best evaluation he's ever given. Nope, no raise, but you can change the title in your email signature to take out the meaningless "Assistant" in front of your current title if you want! Also, that new pretend email signature title will ironically match a position that HR has listed as paying $20k more than you make now.

That's totally a coincidence! I was about to unironically apply for that very position! What are the odds?

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

That's totally a coincidence! I was about to unironically apply for that very position! What are the odds?

Yeah, I wish. To be more clear, I meant that HR has a list of classified positions and their compensation ranges. So there's no current open "Help Desk Manager" position posted, but were one to be posted, it would pay the $20k+ what I currently make.

Will be fighting for a raise but I don't know how much energy I'll want to expend in it, versus :yotj:'ing. I plan on the latter happening regardless after this.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

Will be fighting for a raise but I don't know how much energy I'll want to expend in it, versus :yotj:'ing. I plan on the latter happening regardless after this.

This is where I am at right now. I loving hate my current job but I can pretty much sail through it which means I'm not stressed to gently caress so when I get home I can have a nice calm job search and work on some certs.

I weighed up the effort required to improve things where I am vs. just leaving to do something else, and the :yotj: option came out way ahead.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

ConfusedUs posted:

gently caress you. I've been waiting on you. I can't make you do anything. I've reminded you three goddamned times in the last five business days. You knew about this! We talked about this! WHY THE gently caress IS YOUR LACK OF RESPONSIBILITY MY GODDAMNED PROBLEM?

I unno man. Did you tell him this or just meekly accept the bollocking?

Have some spine. You saw how much good it did Larch.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Johnny Aztec posted:

I unno man. Did you tell him this or just meekly accept the bollocking?

Have some spine. You saw how much good it did Larch.

Yeah, we've talked about it. He always just doubles down on the bullshit. I had to go to a goddamned C-level a year ago or so to get something overturned in one of my quarterly reviews, because he would not update it.

I think he literally believes what he's saying.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

ConfusedUs posted:

Yeah, we've talked about it. He always just doubles down on the bullshit. I had to go to a goddamned C-level a year ago or so to get something overturned in one of my quarterly reviews, because he would not update it.

Why not just call the meeting and if he doesn't show up, oh well I guess you get to make the calls? Drive things to completion, as it were. Make him redundant and then get him fired.

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009

Thanks Ants posted:

This is where I am at right now. I loving hate my current job but I can pretty much sail through it which means I'm not stressed to gently caress so when I get home I can have a nice calm job search and work on some certs.

This is me. Last year it was "you're awesome, so let's give you a raise, but first jerk you around for 6 months", and then it was their lack of planning/caring causing my caseload to go up to 4 times what it was. At a certain point I was thinking 'what the hell is wrong with these people. I support their biggest customer, who loves me and tells my executives how great I am and... NOW WAIT A MINUTE, our biggest customer loves me, why the hell am I stressing myself out. What are they gonna do, fire me?" And so I raised some polite hell, and they made some changes and my workload is less through a combination of other people taking some of it and me not going out looking for work. I have a lot more free time and really should be getting certs etc, but I am burnt out as hell and am enjoying the time spent relaxing and studying non computer stuff.

But :yotj: will probably have to happen somehow. I'm bored, and I just saw on the news that people quitting their jobs voluntarily is the highest it's been in 9 years, so stuff is starting to move.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

ConfusedUs posted:

Yeah, sorry. I know. I follow the thread. I was mostly being a bit tounge-in-cheek.

also loving love your A/V

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

baquerd posted:

Why not just call the meeting and if he doesn't show up, oh well I guess you get to make the calls? Drive things to completion, as it were. Make him redundant and then get him fired.

I usually do, these days, but this involved a Legal issue so there's no room for gently caress ups.

Johnny Aztec posted:

Yeah, sorry. I know. I follow the thread. I was mostly being a bit tounge-in-cheek.

also loving love your A/V

It's cool. No need to apologize.

I love my avatar too. Some guy made it for me in GBS like five or six years ago. I wish I could remember who it was.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
So we have had some emails come in that are pretty good phishing attempts. Our response? Flagging every e-mail that comes from outside the company with an identifier in the subject line, like [EXTERNAL]. Holy loving poo poo.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

AlternateAccount posted:

So we have had some emails come in that are pretty good phishing attempts. Our response? Flagging every e-mail that comes from outside the company with an identifier in the subject line, like [EXTERNAL]. Holy loving poo poo.

:stonklol:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Wonder what the conversation will be like when the office imbecile gets their account owned anyways.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

go3 posted:

never in my life did i think i'd read that.

re: sonicwall

we have a shitton of them in the wild. home, small office and medium office and cant recall any major issues. like other poster said, just make sure you read the fine print on service throughput.

What's wrong with the Fortigate UI? Its easy to navigate, presents info well, doesn't bug out, doesn't need some stupid version of IE or Java.

Granted, I do most stuff in the CLI because I am dumb and stubborn, but I use it.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

ConfusedUs posted:

Last week I requested a meeting with my boss to go over something for Legal.

I asked him on Tuesday. I asked him again on Friday. I asked him yesterday.

Today, Legal gets grumpy because I don't have this thing done yet. I've got a C-level asking about it. I finally just corner my boss, and that's when I get the lecture.

It's his favorite lecture. The one about "owning your mistakes" and "driving things to completion".

Sounds like someone has read the Oz Principle. It is a great book for management to read(and then force their employees to read) because it forces all responsibility to the lowest level. Its all about being accountable and "taking responsibility" for everything, everything is your fault, nothing is the fault of the company or management.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

xzzy posted:

Wonder what the conversation will be like when the office imbecile gets their account owned anyways.

But we've REACTED and created a RESPONSE.

Meanwhile I am broken recording as hard as I can: "End users cannot be expected to make a determination as to the legitimacy of a message that requests sensitive data. We will have failures, regardless of how much additional information we provide them. The users can be expected to know the value of certain types of data, and therefore know what safeguards must be taken to protect it regardless of the veracity of the request."

But no, we don't want to discuss human and culture issues. Let's gently caress with Exchange and the e-mail filter some more.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

We have two identical Kyocera printers. One was a backup of some sort, but now we want to print certain documents in another part of the building, so dumb AS/400 guy got it out and was setting it up to print to it.

Well, a certain printout works but another printout type doesn't work. It just prints like half a page of black toner. So he's going through the printers checking the settings. BY USING THE CONTROL PANEL ON THE PRINTER ITSELF. He's running back and forth through the building for 2 hours matching up settings.

My helpdesk guy (recently turned 'system analyst') informs him the printer has a web interface....so he starts comparing the settings on the printers side by side. After like a half hour he says "the only ifference is the one printer has security on it"

I go over and look and see that he's on one printer's web interface in https the other is http. I told him that has poo poo to do with how it prints and showed him how to turn 'security' on for the other printer. I go to lunch.

When I return he's sitting there grinning, telling me that 'turning on security fixed it'. I told him that setting only affects the web interface and won't change how it prints. "Well it must have..."

So I had him go in to the interface, shut SSL off, and then try printing again. Works fine.

"Uhh...must have been some other setting I changed."

Welp, glad you know what you did and can document it. Moron.

As a bonus my helpdesk guy got him to repeat "Server Security Legend" on the phone with the printer company rep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mewse
May 2, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

As a bonus my helpdesk guy got him to repeat "Server Security Legend" on the phone with the printer company rep.

LOL