Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lazy Reservist
Nov 30, 2005

FUBIJAR
Gonna leave this here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Abbey Rain does stuff for Mormon Girlz. That's what I know.

So the cultural resources director of one of the state parks was talking to one of my classes last summer about some of the digs he'd done when he was younger. One of them was on some Mormon farmsteads. Basically they dug up a poo poo ton of booze and opiate bottles. The university funding the project had a mostly if not all Mormon leadership that insisted that the final report call these "beverage bottles" because they had no real way of know what was in there. Then he said something along the lined of "Mormon intellectuals, that's a good joke!" Pretty cool guy.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

So it's Scientology with tax-exempt status

And a state.

I was going to mention the single's ward. There's literally a separate church service for single adults, and they can/will transfer you to it.

Edit: V That is seriously loving true.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

KirbyKhan posted:

How nostalgic are you for Mormon butts?

not at all

the crazy was truly crazy

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

KirbyKhan posted:

How nostalgic are you for Mormon butts?

Added flavor: The two year mission isnt entirely paid for by the tithe. You gotta dip into some of your own family cash to get to where you need to serve the lord.

I had a high school class mate who had to go to Peru and pay for his living costs during his mission by working a potato field. Rich Mormons always go to places like Europe, where it's like, how is that not just a 2 year vacation. But who the gently caress cares what Moromons do anyway.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Larry Parrish posted:

I had a high school class mate who had to go to Peru and pay for his living costs during his mission by working a potato field. Rich Mormons always go to places like Europe, where it's like, how is that not just a 2 year vacation. But who the gently caress cares what Moromons do anyway.

I thought missionaries were explicitly forbidden from having jobs and were expected to live off the "generosity" of the local Mormons?

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.

Larry Parrish posted:

That explains the Christmas presents of the Mormon missionaries here in Belgium. I was doing a documentary on them and they were talking about the gifts their relatives back home got. One of their mother's got a brand new Chevy Camaro.
I saw a couple in Indonesia. I thought they'd get some leeway in their costume but nope, they were walking around in clean pressed suits in the middle of the day in an impoverished neighborhood.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

ManMythLegend posted:

I thought missionaries were explicitly forbidden from having jobs and were expected to live off the "generosity" of the local Mormons?

They're also not supposed to drink, but, well...

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

Larry Parrish posted:

The official line is that they all pay the same amount in and it goes into a central pool for everyone to use. Then all the kids go to a central training facility and get divvied out at 'random' by the folks working there who, you guessed it, "pray about it" so their decisions are final and immutable. Really this works out about how you'd think it would, with the heavy hitters in Utah pulling strings to get their kid the cushiest possible mission while someone else's kid gets to to freezing rear end Russia and get kidnapped*.

I used to invite them over to my place in Germany a lot to feed them, generally they're pretty nice kids. They occasionally made a pass to seduce convert me but after a few times they were pretty glad to basically get a night off from recruiting and some free eats. The benefit of having them over every couple weeks or so for pizza is that they never come randomly knocking on your door at 0730 on a Saturday, which is nice by itself.

*My wife bought a Mormon DVD that's supposed to be the story of this, which was directed by a guy who used to be a missionary in her area when she was a teenager. He also plays the lead role, and manages to do terribly at both jobs. His costar does slightly better but the movie still sucked balls. The 'true' story portrayed also changes it to where the heroic young missionaries pray and convert their kidnapper to the LDS church, when in reality he was a former member who dumped them when the church said they wouldn't pay up. They also portray how the church pressured the kid's rich daddy into not paying the ransom, only they show it as the kid's father heroically overcoming a crisis of faith (by leaving his son in the hands of kidnappers because he "prayed about it"). Mormons have their own film industry and it's loving awful.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Wild T posted:

Mormons have their own film industry and it's loving awful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTYEtttwU18

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46PXaJxzuDE

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
Also they still think that black people all are descendants of Cain. That God made them darker so we could tell they are violent by nature, which is why black people couldn't join until the 80s and they were forced to or possibly face loss of tax status.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
My theory: They know it's all a sham. Behind the closed doors they laugh at the religious jokes and enjoy their tax-free society within a society that gives most of them a better chance at getting ahead in life (true or not), AND the rest of society is so weirded out that there's never any questions asked. The mission trips are to let young men get their rocks off with 3rd world prostitutes (or discover they're gay) so those issues don't come up down the road.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Zeris posted:

My theory: They know it's all a sham. Behind the closed doors they laugh at the religious jokes and enjoy their tax-free society within a society that gives most of them a better chance at getting ahead in life (true or not), AND the rest of society is so weirded out that there's never any questions asked. The mission trips are to let young men get their rocks off with 3rd world prostitutes (or discover they're gay) so those issues don't come up down the road.

The higher ups are definitely sure it's a scam, but I'd say very few outside of the big cathedral in SLC know it's a scam. Mormons are notoriously easy to scam, case in point Manti Teo

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lol. Just remembered that Mormon teens are suppsoed to go to some kind of gay church thing at 5 in the morning. Suddenely makes perfect sense why the Mormons in my unit were never bothered about coming into work insanely early or random unit PT sessions.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
My brother converted to Mormonism - or as everyone in my family calls it - the Cult My Brother/Son Joined. Shits like passive-aggression the religion. You know how the worst people about alcohol are former alcoholics and also how obnoxious religious converts are? Well imagine a perineal gently caress up joining a religion in his 30's that hates fun.

Also my dad semi-jokes about putting "don't loving baptize after I die" into his will.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

My brother converted to Mormonism - or as everyone in my family calls it - the Cult My Brother/Son Joined. Shits like passive-aggression the religion. You know how the worst people about alcohol are former alcoholics and also how obnoxious religious converts are? Well imagine a perineal gently caress up joining a religion in his 30's that hates fun.

Also my dad semi-jokes about putting "don't loving baptize after I die" into his will.

One of my brother's friends converted after marrying a Mormon, just because it means he gets a free house when her grandmother dies. But he's half black and claims all he ever does at church after services is manual labor and Home Depot/REI/Wal mart runs for church supplies

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

Well imagine a perineal gently caress

Sounds painful

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Booblord Zagats posted:

Also they still think that black people all are descendants of Cain. That God made them darker so we could tell they are violent by nature, which is why black people couldn't join until the 80s and they were forced to or possibly face loss of tax status.

It's amazing how their prophet (church president) has a miraculous vision whenever the law is going to gently caress them. Same thing happened with polygamy, banning it was one of the conditions of statehood. God's got great timing, I guess. :shrug:

This was a Big Deal in the news when it got out. And I knew a lot of people who genuinely didn't see why anyone would have a problem with it (many people also don't have a problem with the polygamist settlements, either).

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
If a man wants to put up with the bullshit of multiple women he should be entitled to it.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Godholio posted:

It's amazing how their prophet (church president) has a miraculous vision whenever the law is going to gently caress them. Same thing happened with polygamy, banning it was one of the conditions of statehood. God's got great timing, I guess. :shrug:

This was a Big Deal in the news when it got out. And I knew a lot of people who genuinely didn't see why anyone would have a problem with it (many people also don't have a problem with the polygamist settlements, either).

It was probably when they started baptizing jews who died in the holocaust.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
Mormons are kind of interesting to me because my mom was dumb enough to get into the Jehovahs Witnesses before I was born. I was in that dumb poo poo until I was 11. There's a lot of similarities, especially the sudden "revelations" from God to their leaders when it was convenient (or the world failed to come to an end like they've predicted 3-4 times since the early 1900s).

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Mike-o posted:

Mormons are kind of interesting to me because my mom was dumb enough to get into the Jehovahs Witnesses before I was born. I was in that dumb poo poo until I was 11. There's a lot of similarities, especially the sudden "revelations" from God to their leaders when it was convenient (or the world failed to come to an end like they've predicted 3-4 times since the early 1900s).

I always liked how the Popes handled this kinda poo poo from 1800 on "God was loving with us"

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
God is a dumb rear end in a top hat.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Booblord Zagats posted:

I always liked how the Popes handled this kinda poo poo from 1800 on "God was loving with us"

Catholics have an easy out. If the pope makes a policy decision, God makes it be true in Heaven as well.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

Mike-o posted:

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Cojawfee posted:

It was probably when they started baptizing jews who died in the holocaust.

I didn't know this was a thing so I looked it up. Holy poo poo it's really a thing. What the gently caress, Mormons?

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
I've always imagined that if God is real, he'll handle the super churchy folks the same way a celebrity handles crazy fans

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Pesticide20 posted:

I didn't know this was a thing so I looked it up. Holy poo poo it's really a thing. What the gently caress, Mormons?

They baptize dead celebrities, and victims of tragedies. It's really disgusting.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Godholio posted:

They're also not supposed to drink, but, well...

The saying is to never take a single Mormon fishing, because he'll drink all your beer.

The Slithery D
Jul 19, 2012

Mike-o posted:

God is what happens when Ralp is made moderator of the universe.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Is Ralp the child toucher or mega obese one, or is it both

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

maffew buildings posted:

Neither

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

maffew buildings posted:

The child toucher was Aatrek. He was deleted from all the websites he contributes to.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Cojawfee posted:

Catholics have an easy out. If the pope makes a policy decision, God makes it be true in Heaven as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=maqUW3QIByo&t=64s

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Booblord Zagats posted:

Nah, all of Cain's descendants died in the flood. Block people now are descendants of Ham, who was turned black because he's a filthy thief that tried to steal Noah's sacred clothes when Noah got turnt up one night. Black peoples could join before the 80s but they couldn't hold the priesthood which excluded them from ever doing anything that mattered in the church.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

That's actually an Evangelical propaganda film. While accurate I'd say Evangelicals are a bit worse. Now if you want Mormon cinema...

The Slithery D
Jul 19, 2012

So...would?

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Don't Mormons have bunkers full of genealogy records for reasons?

That Mission must be serious business if it was enough for Mitt Romney to avoid going to Vietnam..

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think Mitt Romney has gotten enough flak. Do you know how hard it was for him to go to Stanford and survive off only a trust fund?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Pesticide20 posted:

It's actually quite nice, from inside their world view. If you aren't saved by Jesus, you're going to hell. "But what about all those nice people before Christ, or who were somewhere else?" For most non-universalist Christians, the answer is, "too bad, your fault for being born some other place or time." The Mormons are baptizing whoever they can so they can have the option of not going to hell. (even though they're dead, they have a choice to accept or not accept the baptism - I guess it's something they ask at HEPS)