Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Other than that, you should watch Turn-A Gundam, since it's hands-down the single best Gundam show.

Eh, that's very debatable. There's like four or five series I'd put above it pretty easily.

It's good though and worth a watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I think what we all can agree with is that neither he nor anyone should ever watch Age.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I don't really mind Age so much. Last quarter of the show is pretty crap though, and it doesn't really do enough with its core premise.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Don't watch Reconguista. Seriously. I could tell you why it's badGod awful, but folks here get angry about it.

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Other than that, you should watch Turn-A Gundam, since it's hands-down the single best Gundam show.
Not even close. It's not bad, but people oversell it too often.

Reconguista and Turn A have little in common other than having Gundam on the box with one being an insult.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Reconguista is really good. The plot moves a little fast, and a lot of the exposition is done via casual dialogue, so it can be a little hard to follow along if you aren't paying close attention. But it's got great robots and action, really good characters, and a good story. Definitely one of the best Gundam shows, IMO

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Turn-A and G-Reco are definitely among my top Gundam series list.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Their pacing is different, but both Turn-A and G-Reco deal with pretty similar ideas about civilizations that have forgotten war getting ready to start another one, previous societies that have destroyed themselves through war, a more relaxed tone compared to other Gundam shows etc.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Turn A and Reconguista share similar themes and tone, which is part of why I like them so much. They're far more optimistic than a lot of other gundam shows

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

oohhboy posted:

Don't watch Reconguista. Seriously. I could tell you why it's badGod awful, but folks here get angry about it.

Not even close. It's not bad, but people oversell it too often.

Reconguista and Turn A have little in common other than having Gundam on the box with one being an insult.

:stare:

drat dude, I don't like them either, but that's being a little harsh. And that's me saying that.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

:stare:

drat dude, I don't like them either, but that's being a little harsh. And that's me saying that.

I can get where he's coming from when people seem to dismiss g-reco's criticism by saying that "well you weren't paying close enough attention.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Monaghan posted:

I can get where he's coming from when people seem to dismiss g-reco's criticism by saying that "well you weren't paying close enough attention.

It's often true, though. Now, the fact that the show expects you to pay this close attention to it is a valid complaint. Show's not perfect. But to say that there weren't overblown inacurrate criticisms of it is equally disingenuous.

It's a good show that not everybody will like because some people will care more about some flaws than others. And that's ok.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Sometimes I wish that Greco was a non-Gundam Tomino show since dang if people don't torture themselves and break their brains going thru a thing they despise for the sake of completion

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Srice posted:

Sometimes I wish that Greco was a non-Gundam Tomino show since dang if people don't torture themselves and break their brains going thru a thing they despise for the sake of completion

I don't know why people feel compelled to watch the entirety of something they're clearly not enjoying, yeah.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Kanos posted:

I don't know why people feel compelled to watch the entirety of something they're clearly not enjoying, yeah.

There's always the slim chance that a later plot development will suddenly make the show enjoyable, I guess. Sunk cost fallacy. :v:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Kanos posted:

Well, I pulled myself through Code Geass, and it wasn't until the season 2 episode 1 nosedive that I was put off the series entirely.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

A lot of people( including myself) are completionist hen it comes to gundam. A lot of people here watched age and destiny after all.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Monaghan posted:

A lot of people( including myself) are completionist hen it comes to gundam. A lot of people here watched age and destiny after all.

We all have to face it at some point.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
So after Char do you guys want me to do Zeon or maybe some other character/faction?

I've sadly not seen SEED/Turn A/Gundam X yet though.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

SeanBeansShako posted:

So after Char do you guys want me to do Zeon or maybe some other character/faction?

By Zeon do you mean OYW Zeon or all of the Zeons through the UC? Either way, I've enjoyed all of your analyses so far so I'd be happy no matter where you went next.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

If I do Zeon, I'll do the same as I did for EF and basically cover Zeon, Axis, Neo-Zeon and The Sleeves.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

SeanBeansShako posted:

Do some Zanscare characters. :unsmigghh:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Darth Walrus posted:

Do some Zanscare characters. :unsmigghh:

Do Zeon then Zanscare.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Harry Ord (from Turn-A) is worth a fashion post all for himself.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
I'd love to see an essay on the Princess outfits throughout Gundam history

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

boom boom boom posted:

I know I could go for a Relena post with all her outfits.

Not Dave
Aug 9, 2009

ATAI SUPER DRY IS
BREWED FROM QUALITY
ENGREDIENTS BY USING
OUR PURE CULTURE
YEAST AND ADVANCED
BREWING TECHNIQUES.
Please tell me I am not the only one that finds IBO incredibly boring for the most part? The characters feel like they barely have anything going for them despite the show actually trying to focus on them instead of wedging in constant fights and the overarching plot feeling nothing special just with gritty modern dressing. At certain points in trying to catch up I had wish I had been watching AGE, because even if AGE is bad at least it was interestingly bad, not just a plod.

I'd by no means call it a bad Gundam, at least not before it finishes and I sit on it for a while (example: I actually hated X when I finished it but I think it's okay now), but I am blown away by the amount of praise it gets.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
Don't let these guys scare you, Destiny is not nearly as bad as they make it out to be.

You should watch Turn-A gundam. It is the best show

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

boom boom boom posted:

despite my intense dislike of lacus, I really did like a lot of her outfits, especially that black ninja thing she was rocking in destiny.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Not Dave posted:

Please tell me I am not the only one that finds IBO incredibly boring for the most part? The characters feel like they barely have anything going for them despite the show actually trying to focus on them instead of wedging in constant fights and the overarching plot feeling nothing special just with gritty modern dressing. At certain points in trying to catch up I had wish I had been watching AGE, because even if AGE is bad at least it was interestingly bad, not just a plod.

I'd by no means call it a bad Gundam, at least not before it finishes and I sit on it for a while (example: I actually hated X when I finished it but I think it's okay now), but I am blown away by the amount of praise it gets.

I won't say that I find it boring but I said in the thread for it that i feel like there's tiers of 'the show gives a poo poo about this character" and the lower the tier the less I care about the characters. I genuinely think Mika is a high point for Gundam protagonists and barring some kind of absurdly awful last-minute failure he's going to be one of my favorites. On the other hand I think it has some of the absolutely lamest villains in a Gundam series and Naze Turbine may be my least favorite Gundam supporting cast member and is only saved from being my least favorite Gundam character by the existence of Kira Yamato.

If all of IBO was an on-point and well-written as Mika then I'd absolutely be on board for the "best Gundam show" point because Mika is really excellent and characters like Biscuit and Atra manage to shine despite being fairly low-key characters. I also think the action (while suffering from TV Animation Budget Syndrome) is reasonably well done and has a good sense of tension and threat but I also haven't found any of it particularly exceptional since it's been Mika clowning on everyone except for the most recent fight.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Feb 9, 2016

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Monaghan posted:

I guess I just don't get that sort of franchise completionism. Gundam shows that aren't direct sequels are only tenuously related to each other, mostly bound by vaguely related protagonist robot designs. They don't even all share the same thematic push; while the original UC series have a pretty clear anti-war theme with a side of older generations making GBS threads on the young, even that's not really a consistent focus across the major series. Just because something is a Gundam show doesn't mean it's worth watching all the way through if you're not deriving enjoyment from it.

Note that it's possible to derive enjoyment from bad shows. I watched GSD through twice(once when it was first airing, once with friends once the HD was coming out) and got enjoyment from it both times even though it's a loving garbage show. If I hadn't been enjoying it I would never have done it.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Feb 10, 2016

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Not Dave posted:

FWIW I found the first cour to be mostly bland, but I'm really enjoying the second cour a lot so far as things have started actually happening.

IBO is a flawed show for sure, though it is beginning to shine for me.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

boom boom boom posted:

Reconguista is really good. The plot moves a little fast, and a lot of the exposition is done via casual dialogue, so it can be a little hard to follow along if you aren't paying close attention. But it's got great robots and action, really good characters, and a good story. Definitely one of the best Gundam shows, IMO

Utter lies.

Paying more attentive makes the show worse as you realise almost nothing about the show works. The action is beam spam and BS rear end pull super powers that are used once and never spoken of again. All the characters are terrible. Katz as much as I hate him has better characterisation than anybody in the Reconguista. Character Development? forget about it. The story disintegrates from episode 1. Others swear there is a payoff, but there is none to be had. Some have even made stuff up in this thread to try and cover for the show. They will claim the characters and world are intentionally unworkable to explain the problems away.

I finished watching Reconguista so to warn others way. If I didn't finish watching it, people would just brush of the criticisms as you didn't watch the show and swear up and down it's a good show with impunity.

People bag on Destiny a lot and I understand, I like the show, but take these numbers with a bit of salt and ask why this is. Destiny on My Anime List and Anime News Network is rated 7.39, 7.409, Reconguista is a 5.96, 5.333 respectively. AGE, a show just about everybody hates is a 6.64, 6.013 as a baseline comparison.

It's well animated though, so it has that going for it. If you like lots of different robots that too.

I am glad they didn't overstuff IBO with robot fights as it lets the characters grow outside of them. Almost all Gundam shows will somehow stick a Robot fight in there to have a robot fight in every episode to the detriment of everything else, some shows hurting from this more than others. The lack of a clear appointed villain does feel like they are leaving people out on something to hate on for being villainous and for somebody for Mika to demolish into chunky salsa down the line.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Delete the don't and that would be cartoon equally vapid. A real high effort reply.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
The Gundam thread

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtI0Aal3C6w&t=64s

will be taking a short break.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
The Gundam thread

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRercuwUQwI

is now open for business.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I might pick Zanscare then. Just for something different.

Flippinlikebirds
Feb 2, 2007
I'm an ideas man Michael. I think I proved that with Fuck Mountain.
Is there any kind of explanation for the different designs in Endless Waltz? Are we watching an alternate universe where all the events of Wing happened, but the Gundams had different designs? Or did the pilots alter the designs after the events of Wing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
So the second Thunderbolt OVA came out in the thread downtime, and it was pretty good. I was impressed with how they managed to compress the relevant emotional, character-based stuff into such little screentime while preserving its glorious melodramatic kick, and they've left themselves with a relatively generous amount of time to cover the remainder of the Thunderbolt Sector arc.

Anyone else given it a watch yet?