Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

notZaar posted:

Not to mention you could just enlist in the Army then go to college on the taxpayers dime.

:smug: thanks for the tuition guys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

naem
May 29, 2011

Justin Tyme posted:

:smug: thanks for the tuition guys

same

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

i get to thank the government for most of my tuition :D

Horniest Manticore
Nov 23, 2013

Hello, you!
Lipstick Apathy

and you went and spent it on an art degree

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry
A reminder:

naem
May 29, 2011

Horniest Manticore posted:

and you went and spent it on an art degree

Two actually

Horniest Manticore
Nov 23, 2013

Hello, you!
Lipstick Apathy

naem posted:

Two actually

you are a literal aids rapist

naem
May 29, 2011

Horniest Manticore posted:

you are a literal aids rapist

:swoon:

Julien Sorel
Jan 27, 2006

Voted Worst Marksman of 1830
http://www.npr.org/2016/02/08/466033317/car-seat-headrest-tiny-desk-concert

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

give a white person an electric guitar and they form Megadeth
give a white person an acoustic guitar and they play stupid indie-folk bullshit

amusinginquiry
Nov 8, 2009

College Slice
http://youtu.be/PGuXvc8ff0c

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien

-Troika- posted:

heres some cask strength millenial.png:

i'm definitely millenial but you're a loving idiot lol

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

OMFG FURRY posted:

and they would be looking to do the same to us, or itll be like Roadside Picnic and we'll be living near hellholes and cursing the day we ever made contact

they did get free energy out of the bargain, at least

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

notZaar posted:

Not to mention you could just enlist in the Army then go to college on the taxpayers dime.

Probably a good way to get a French job as an aircraft mechanic or something if you were in love with the idea of France

Anyway if your idea of career future sounds like dying to an IED in Mali after getting hazed/buttraped by a Eastern European, then go ahead and join the French Foreign Legion lol.

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
I went to college on lottery money so I'm not gonna complain about the armed forces welfare queens.

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD
Using guitar as drum, without ever learning how to play it as a guitar, but still saying that you play guitar seems to be a thing these days.

Playing guitar is hard so I wish this was around when I was a kid. Impress twice the girls in half the time with your cool bongo drum rolls and you don't really have to do any work.

Every time I go to the guitar store for strings there's a couple of guys in the acoustic room tappa tappin and playing drums on 1000 dollar gibsons and martins and poo poo and guitar store employees staring on in horror, lmao.

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

reallivedinosaur posted:

Using guitar as drum, without ever learning how to play it as a guitar, but still saying that you play guitar seems to be a thing these days.

I've never heard of this and it sounds awful. Do you mean poo poo like this?

I mean later in the video this guy plays the guitar and he does sound good, but I can only imagine how terrible it would be if they couldn't actually play the guitar, but still bought one and used it to "play drums" by tippy tapping on it like that.

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD

KiddieGrinder posted:

I've never heard of this and it sounds awful. Do you mean poo poo like this?

I mean later in the video this guy plays the guitar and he does sound good, but I can only imagine how terrible it would be if they couldn't actually play the guitar, but still bought one and used it to "play drums" by tippy tapping on it like that.

I think what happened is people have seen enough videos like that to think that's legitimate guitar technique, so it's totally ok to walk into a store and start bongoing on expensive things you don't own and that aren't bongos.

I just see them in guitar stores and wonder why anyone has the balls to pick up an instrument worth a few hundred dollars and start hitting it like a chimp. *IN MY DAY* I might strum the strings like an idiot because I didn't really know any chords, but wouldn't even think to sit and slap it.

It's like going into a piano store and kicking a piano and going "oh wow nice sound".

Of course, in heavy metal shredder days of my youth, the same rear end in a top hat would be the guy who picked up the two thousand dollar strat and starts scraping the pick up and down the fretboard and smashing on the whammy bar, and those assholes are still doing that in their 40s and 50s.

Before me I have to imagine the Pete Townshend windmill assholes were doing their thing to douche up guitar stores.

Guitar players have always been douchebags.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

reallivedinosaur posted:

I think what happened is people have seen enough videos like that to think that's legitimate guitar technique, so it's totally ok to walk into a store and start bongoing on expensive things you don't own and that aren't bongos.

I just see them in guitar stores and wonder why anyone has the balls to pick up an instrument worth a few hundred dollars and start hitting it like a chimp. *IN MY DAY* I might strum the strings like an idiot because I didn't really know any chords, but wouldn't even think to sit and slap it.

It's like going into a piano store and kicking a piano and going "oh wow nice sound".

Of course, in heavy metal shredder days of my youth, the same rear end in a top hat would be the guy who picked up the two thousand dollar strat and starts scraping the pick up and down the fretboard and smashing on the whammy bar, and those assholes are still doing that in their 40s and 50s.

Before me I have to imagine the Pete Townshend windmill assholes were doing their thing to douche up guitar stores.

Guitar players have always been douchebags.

My best guitar store story involved me leaving and walking past two employees who were standing by the door. I had on a Mountain Goats shirt that had a picture of the statue of Romulus and Remus suckling from the she-wolf.

The guy on the right pointed at my shirt and said "Hey, Romulus and Remus!" And I smiled and turned and the guy on the left said "Sucking wolf titty!" in the most sleazy, bro-giving-you-a-thumbs-up voice imaginable.

I didn't know how to respond and just left.

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams
To French Foreign Legion goon: Don't.

They used to take anyone, now it's pretty tough to get into. Plus you'll probably die as you become one the most expendable soldiers on the planet, in fact when they send you out on a mission they usually don't plan on a return trip, it's up to you to come back if you survive.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

you should do something more ethical, and safer, like becoming a drug dealer or burglar

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx

reallivedinosaur posted:

Playing guitar is hard so I wish this was around when I was a kid. Impress twice the girls in half the time with your cool bongo drum rolls and you don't really have to do any work.

Every time I go to the guitar store for strings there's a couple of guys in the acoustic room tappa tappin and playing drums on 1000 dollar gibsons and martins and poo poo and guitar store employees staring on in horror, lmao.

flickety-tap-boom guitar is definitely a millennial thing

this beardo made a video which went viral and kicked off the entire gimmicky movement of boring drony percussive guitar playing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ddn4MGaS3N4

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Wicker Man posted:

A reminder:

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-02-09/breastfeeding-mother-has-emotional-encounter-with-melbourne-zoo/7153746

breastfeeding milennial thinks a monkey scopin out her tits is actually proud of her or something :confused:

"I felt so proud and I felt she was proud of me and … I don't know. It was just amazing."

Horniest Manticore
Nov 23, 2013

Hello, you!
Lipstick Apathy

Internaut! posted:

flickety-tap-boom guitar is definitely a millennial thing

this beardo made a video which went viral and kicked off the entire gimmicky movement of boring drony percussive guitar playing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ddn4MGaS3N4

nah, this poo poo's all ani difranco's fault

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO

ghostter posted:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-02-09/breastfeeding-mother-has-emotional-encounter-with-melbourne-zoo/7153746

breastfeeding milennial thinks a monkey scopin out her tits is actually proud of her or something :confused:

"I felt so proud and I felt she was proud of me and … I don't know. It was just amazing."

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Breastfeeding: something to post on Facebook about

speshl guy
Dec 11, 2012
Percussion guitar talk:

People were blown away by it, not because it opened up a whole new realm of possibilities for music and guitar players in general, but because it was a novelty that required an unprecedented amount of practice and personal discipline in order to sustain a melody while forgoing the need for a bassist and a percussionist.

Attention-seeking millennials thought that spending an unholy amount of time practicing an incredibly difficult and niche style of guitar playing would convince people that possessing such an ability would indicate to others that they were good musicians. Unfortunately, unless one actually has an affinity for music and can create songs that are pleasing to others and artistically valid, all of the bells and whistles are rendered meaningless and are in fact a poor substitute for, you know, actually having a bassist and a percussionist.

Musicians like John Butler and Estas Tonne can make it work because they're actually good musicians, not just because they've technically perfected an inherently flamboyant style of guitar playing.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

drat millennials probably can't even play the intro to "Raining Blood"

speshl guy
Dec 11, 2012

symbolic posted:

drat millennials probably can't even play the intro to "Raining Blood"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZ2ucr74YNk

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Just proved his point, good job. :hfive:

Thirsty Girl
Dec 5, 2015

lmbo

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx

speshl guy posted:

Percussion guitar talk:

People were blown away by it, not because it opened up a whole new realm of possibilities for music and guitar players in general, but because it was a novelty that required an unprecedented amount of practice and personal discipline in order to sustain a melody while forgoing the need for a bassist and a percussionist.

Attention-seeking millennials thought that spending an unholy amount of time practicing an incredibly difficult and niche style of guitar playing would convince people that possessing such an ability would indicate to others that they were good musicians. Unfortunately, unless one actually has an affinity for music and can create songs that are pleasing to others and artistically valid, all of the bells and whistles are rendered meaningless and are in fact a poor substitute for, you know, actually having a bassist and a percussionist.

Musicians like John Butler and Estas Tonne can make it work because they're actually good musicians, not just because they've technically perfected an inherently flamboyant style of guitar playing.

the real beginning, by a brilliant musician

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4P9mmZyGb4s

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO
i have to assume that as long as people have been playing resonant stringed instruments, some of them have been drumming on them

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

slapping percussively on an acoustic guitar makes me imagine a dreadlocked hippy making mouth noises too close to my ear

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Rodrigo y Gabriella do the percussive guitar thing on their first album and it's good

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx

nomadologique posted:

i have to assume that as long as people have been playing resonant stringed instruments, some of them have been drumming on them

ya the spanish have been doing it for centuries but the particular combination of percussion, exotic tunings and fretting with both hands began with michael hedges and exploded into millennial consciousness via andy mckee and his 54 million youtube views of that one song alone

Count Freebasie
Jan 12, 2006

Internaut! posted:

the real beginning, by a brilliant musician

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4P9mmZyGb4s

Did he step on a mine in Afghanistan or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flyball
Apr 17, 2003

Count Freebasie posted:

Did he step on a mine in Afghanistan or something?

Car crash

• Locked thread