Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FCKGW
May 21, 2006

STAC Goat posted:

Ok, I keep getting tricked by this but not this time. That one HAS to be satire.

Right?

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/norquist-vapes-to-determine-the-next-president/article/2582814

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

MaxxBot posted:

Here's the provision in their penal code.

750.338 Gross indecency; between male persons.
Sec. 338.

Any male person who, in public or in private, commits or is a party to the commission of or procures or attempts to procure the commission by any male person of any act of gross indecency with another male person shall be guilty of a felony, punishable by imprisonment in the state prison for not more than 5 years, or by a fine of not more than $2,500.00, or if such person was at the time of the said offense a sexually delinquent person, may be punishable by imprisonment in the state prison for an indeterminate term, the minimum of which shall be 1 day and the maximum of which shall be life.

Sure, and that should be repealed (it won't). Either way, the bill in questions doesn't deal with that section of the code. This is the section of the code relating to sodomy that the bill amends:

quote:

750.158 Crime against nature or sodomy; penalty.
Sec. 158.

Any person who shall commit the abominable and detestable crime against nature either with mankind or with any animal shall be guilty of a felony, punishable by imprisonment in the state prison not more than 15 years, or if such person was at the time of the said offense a sexually delinquent person, may be punishable by imprisonment in the state prison for an indeterminate term, the minimum of which shall be 1 day and the maximum of which shall be life.

It tacks on a paragraph saying that someone convicted of sodomy cannot have pets for 5 years. But since sodomy between humans cannot be illegal per Lawrence, it can only mean bestiality.

I'm pretty comfortable with what this bill actually does, and since it needs to get past a republican legislature to happen, I wouldn't hold out on it also striking down the part of the code that criminalizes same-sex relations. Republicans are bigots, news at 11.

Kedzie
Dec 13, 2004

they all float down here

zoux posted:

Is anyone else seeing this "Jeb resurgent" narrative developing in the press?

It will be nothing short of a miracle if he actually turns it around from the "please clap" moment to being the nominee. The US electorate has is like a litter of kittens chasing a laser light.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
For reference, Michigan's state senate is 27R-11D

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Kedzie posted:

It will be nothing short of a miracle if he actually turns it around from the "please clap" moment to being the nominee. The US electorate has is like a litter of kittens chasing a laser light.

If Jeb ends up winning the nomination after this insane primary season I will never forgive the US electorate.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

zoux posted:

If Jeb ends up winning the nomination after this insane primary season I will never forgive the US electorate.

Jeb! will be the most important historical example of the sympathy vote.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Why argue about which candidate is going to take us down the blood soaked path to interventionist ruin when we're doing just fine with the current guy, thanks.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
We're going back to war in Libya :toot:

quote:

"I think [administration officials] realize that with an estimated 5,000 members of Daesh there and growing they understand the problem is something that needs to be dealt with," said [Senator Bob] Corker, using the Islamic State's Arabic acronym. "And it’s my hope that they’re getting ready to deal with it in a sufficient manner."

Asked how he knew, the Foreign Relations Committee chairman said: "I have had conversations where, yes, I believe that they’re on the verge of taking action. I just sense that, again, there’s enough concern that with the magnitude, the effect on the country, I just believe that they’re moving toward taking action."

Will the French run out of bombs again? Exciting times ahead.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

zoux posted:

I however, will relish in my posts proclaiming he was going to be the nominee.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Joementum posted:

Someone call the burn ward because Senator Cochran is on fire!

https://twitter.com/SenThadCochran/status/697090927324692480

Last I checked, Debt Mountains were black.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Joementum posted:

We're going back to war in Libya :toot:

Will the French run out of bombs again? Exciting times ahead.

FFS just pop off Assad already

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/PeterHamby/status/697098758539059200/video/1

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Last I checked, Debt Mountains were black crosshatched.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

With Ramirez that's the same thing.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

icantfindaname posted:

FFS just pop off Assad already

What does Assad have to do with Libya?

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Lotka Volterra posted:

What does Assad have to do with Libya?

he's intervening in libya to give the impression he's doing something to fix the middle east, meanwhile the gaping chest wound in iraq/syria is still spraying blood everywhere

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Duke Igthorn posted:

Last I checked, Debt Mountains were black crosshatched. Labeled

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
Are we doing the thing were we're going to assume Politico isn't making poo poo up again, or willfully going along with Coker for page clicks?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Are we doing the thing were we're going to assume Politico isn't making poo poo up again, or willfully going along with Coker for page clicks?

When Politico quotes anonymous sources, it's reasonable to doubt them. When they've got a Senator on record he's either telling the truth or pushing his agenda, which given Corker's position, is also important.

I would not be surprised if Corker and some people in the White House wanted this to happen and some other people in the White House didn't want it to happen and that Obama hasn't decided either way.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Joementum posted:

When Politico quotes anonymous sources, it's reasonable to doubt them. When they've got a Senator on record he's either telling the truth or pushing his agenda, which given Corker's position, is also important.

I would not be surprised if Corker and some people in the White House wanted this to happen and some other people in the White House didn't want it to happen and that Obama hasn't decided either way.

That was my implication.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Marlamaid Swordhand posted:

You should've highlighted the part where Shrekli made a video threatening to edit the rarest Wu-Tang Clan album and remove Ghostface's parts. HE loving THREATENED TO EDIT A WU-TANG FOUNDER'S PARTS OUT.

He done did it.

He hosed wit tha' Wu-Tang Clan. :stare:

That's like, 20 pharaoh's curses in one go.

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

zoux posted:

OTOH, the anti-establishment conservatives would be so pissed that you could possibly see a wave election and Reagan-esque numbers, so shine on, you crazy diamond. :twisted:

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Moktaro posted:

OTOH, the anti-establishment conservatives would be so pissed that you could possibly see a wave election and Reagan-esque numbers, so shine on, you crazy diamond. :twisted:

I feel like Jeb getting the nomination is basically republicansdon'tlearnfromhistory.txt

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Marlamaid Swordhand posted:

You should've highlighted the part where Shrekli made a video threatening to edit the rarest Wu-Tang Clan album and remove Ghostface's parts. HE loving THREATENED TO EDIT A WU-TANG FOUNDER'S PARTS OUT.

That's an excellent way to get beaten in public by Ghost.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

icantfindaname posted:

he's intervening in libya to give the impression he's doing something to fix the middle east, meanwhile the gaping chest wound in iraq/syria is still spraying blood everywhere

Wow, I've really fallen behind on my Middle East news. I thought Assad was still trying to not get murdered by Daesh and rebels in Syria, why would he waste resources on Libya?

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

This probably isn't news for most people, but American life expectancy is still significantly below other countries. The three main contributors to the discrepancy are gun, drug and automotive fatalities. CNN has an ok article:
http://www.cnn.com/2016/02/09/health/american-life-expectancy-shorter-than-europeans/index.html

CNN posted:

The researchers found that men and women in the United States lived 2.2 fewer years than residents in similar countries. American men and women could only look forward to a life expectancy of 76.4 and 81.2 years, respectively, compared with the 78.6 and 83.4 years of their peers abroad.
However, this has not always been the case. "If you go back far enough in the 1980s, we compared much more favorably in life expectancy with other countries, and gradually over time they improved more than the U.S.," Meara said.

The mortality rate is actually increasing for non-hispanic white middle aged Americans, for largely these reasons. Combined with declining median real income it's not an exaggeration to say that life is becoming objectively worse for certain parts of American society. The international comparison makes it clear that this isn't a developmental issue but due to specific US institutions. While the journal article referenced in the story compares US life-expectancy with European countries, it's worth noting that Canadian life expectancy is also 2-3 years higher (Canadians are exactly the same as Americans and everyone who says otherwise is wrong).

I'm not surprised that people whose circumstances are deteriorating largely reject incrementalism in favor of burning the whole establishment down or vague promises to "make everything great again".

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

zoux posted:

Is anyone else seeing this "Jeb resurgent" narrative developing in the press?

Jeb! is the last flavor of the month after Cruz before giving up the nomination to Trump.

Well, I guess there's still Rubio, but he's more of the establishment pick for electability anyways. He's like the Republican Obama candidate, all things considered.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

http://www.everydayshouldbesaturday.com/2016/2/9/10953024/the-gop-field-as-hated-college-football-tropes

left without further comment

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

Nocturtle posted:

This probably isn't news for most people, but American life expectancy is still significantly below other countries. The three main contributors to the discrepancy are gun, drug and automotive fatalities. CNN has an ok article:
http://www.cnn.com/2016/02/09/health/american-life-expectancy-shorter-than-europeans/index.html

The mortality rate is actually increasing for non-hispanic white middle aged Americans, for largely these reasons. Combined with declining median real income it's not an exaggeration to say that life is becoming objectively worse for certain parts of American society. The international comparison makes it clear that this isn't a developmental issue but due to specific US institutions. While the journal article referenced in the story compares US life-expectancy with European countries, it's worth noting that Canadian life expectancy is also 2-3 years higher (Canadians are exactly the same as Americans and everyone who says otherwise is wrong).

I'm not surprised that people whose circumstances are deteriorating largely reject incrementalism in favor of burning the whole establishment down or vague promises to "make everything great again".

I'd like to see it broken down by demographics because my first instinct is to say this is Chicken Little poo poo overall.

Car deaths are probably equal-opportunity. You've probably got a mega-hyped gun and drug death rate among minorities because they're stuck in a pressure cooker of pure poo poo but that's not a new development.

The increase in white male deaths may be a significant increase over previous rates in terms of raw percentage, but still an insignificant fraction of their total population. It's kinda like the "if you own a gun you're 6x more likely to shoot yourself," thing. It's technically true because suicidal gun owners are like 100x more likely to shoot themselves so they bring the average way up, but if you not in that group you're pretty much indistinguishable from the background shooting rate in your own demographic.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

DeusExMachinima posted:

Car deaths are probably equal-opportunity.

I'm no expert, but after some googling this does not appear to be the case. http://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/Pubs/809956.PDF

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Nocturtle posted:

I'm curious as to what "more favorably" actually means (in the context of "in the 80s life was better").

Also, they don't give out exact percentages, but based on this:

eviltastic posted:

I'm no expert, but after some googling this does not appear to be the case. http://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/Pubs/809956.PDF

It seems like the major contributing factor is probably increased reliance on automobiles, which results in a higher amount of automobile fatalities.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
In a 5-4 ruling the Supreme Court just put a hold on Obama's carbon emission rules, as it goes through the Court of Appeals.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

eviltastic posted:

Well that'll teach me to speculate off the cuff. In fact I probably would've been more likely to assume it was higher amongst middle-class whites since they're more likely to be in a car more often. The higher native death rate isn't that surprising though. Largely rural areas requiring car travel + lots of drinking, probably.

ColonelDimak
May 1, 2007

Guardian of the Salsa
I could see middle class whites having lower automobile fatality rates by driving newer vehicles with better safety ratings and features.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

i'm sorry im laughing harder at the nerdy guy whining about being pushed

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

theblackw0lf posted:

In a 5-4 ruling the Supreme Court just put a hold on Obama's carbon emission rules, as it goes through the Court of Appeals.
SCROTUS gonna SCROTUS

I'm not surprised, even though it's ridiculous. Last I checked the Executive is allowed to set those kinds of standards.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

ColonelDimak posted:

I could see middle class whites having lower automobile fatality rates by driving newer vehicles with better safety ratings and features.

Yep. Poor people drive older cars. Also, child safety equipment is $$.

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

theblackw0lf posted:

Seems strange they would step in before the case even makes it out of district court. Maybe that's S.O.P.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I'm going to be a full-time teacher at a summer school type thing for kids who want to be the first in their family to ever go to college. My proposal for cirriculum will be for the kids to design and create a political party and officially file it with the local, state, or federal government. We will do research to create a platform, write arguments for our platform, design a logo and slogan, and other such activities. I might have to make a thread for it if I get approval to do this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

blue squares posted:

I'm going to be a full-time teacher at a summer school type thing for kids who want to be the first in their family to ever go to college. My proposal for cirriculum will be for the kids to design and create a political party and officially file it with the local, state, or federal government. We will do research to create a platform, write arguments for our platform, design a logo and slogan, and other such activities. I might have to make a thread for it if I get approval to do this.

Goons influence ing children is always good.

Also one word, curbs.

• Locked thread