Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
imagine being a labor party shill so boring that not even the auspol thread buys you a custom avatar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serrath
Mar 17, 2005

I have nothing of value to contribute
Ham Wrangler

Laserface posted:

gently caress if only human beings had some kind of overriding free will they could engage to avoid unhealthy behaviour.

I guess? I didn't mean to imply that these genetic factors couldn't be overcome, just that there's a reason why the genetic factors have become an issue in recent history only and only in developed nations. I'm not really wading into the debate about whether or not obesity is preventable but there is good research evidence that obesity has a very large genetic element which really shouldn't be ignored in any discussion about how to intervene

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009

Solemn Sloth posted:

imagine being a labor party shill so boring that not even the auspol thread buys you a custom avatar

Yup. Totally gutted.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Nibbles! posted:

Over abundance of lovely foods mostly. It's pretty hard to overeat on fruit and veg, very easy to do it with simple carbs and fats. If you look at labels when you buy stuff sugar is in pretty much everything processed, and the stuff that proudly displays 'reduced fat' will have a shitload.

Not to mention the extremely disingenuous "average serving" based on what I can only assume is the food intake of ants.

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

make australia great again as well please
Yeah, that's what a big part of the food labelling regulations and such would have addressed. If you read labels get used to using the "per 100g" section rather than the 'per serve' on and you get used to working things out.

Serrath posted:

I guess? I didn't mean to imply that these genetic factors couldn't be overcome, just that there's a reason why the genetic factors have become an issue in recent history only and only in developed nations. I'm not really wading into the debate about whether or not obesity is preventable but there is good research evidence that obesity has a very large genetic element which really shouldn't be ignored in any discussion about how to intervene

Genetics are certainly an element but the psychological factors are probably the largest. Genetics contribute to the effects of overeating.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Solemn Sloth posted:

he's doing his best with the material he has to work with, imo

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
EvilElmo is friendlyjordies

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

Anidav posted:

EvilElmo is friendlyjordies

Nah, Jordies at least comes across as a change from within type (you know the kind). Elmo is just a 'my team wins, who cares about what the game actually means' muppet.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Career politicians are part of an industry not a democracy. Change comes from the outside not the inside.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

~Story time~
For the record I used to be a pretty sedentary person (gaming 5-7hrs a night, no exercise ever, desk job) who has never been into sports or fitness or anything to do with active lifestyles. I was comfortable with my lovely diet and lovely lifestyle because they enabled each other. I don't even know why I did it but I joined a gym about 6 months ago. I hate the idea of gyms and the stereotypes. everything about the 'gym person' image was the exact opposite of what I am. I didn't even want to do it. I didn't want to be muscle-y, I didn't want to lose weight, I didn't want to get sweaty and exert myself.

I went from not even being able to complete a single pushup to doing 60 in a row without much hassle in 6 months. Its a 30min commitment 3 days a week, I barely changed my eating habits (I still eat fast food/get stoned and gorge on 30 McNuggets) and I still dropped a pants size (closing in on two). Admittedly I wasn't obese, but I was basically a skinny fat dude with a pot belly and now I actually have some body definition besides a gut. if I put 100% of my effort behind this poo poo I would probably be one of those 100kg of lean muscle guys ready to king hit dudes in The Cross by now. But I don't really like exerting myself and getting sweaty so I just do what I can (with a weekly PT session to really push me.)

And you know what? I feel better about myself than loving ever. For literally the first time in my 30 years of existing, I can look at myself naked in the mirror and actually feel GOOD about myself. After being picked on for my entire schooling life for being a skinny, pasty four-eyes at schools in The Shire (where if you aren't tanned and surfie you're basically scum), to the point where I tried to kill myself at the age of 12, 13 and 18 (and for unrelated but similar reasons at 25 and 28) that is a massive deal. I still struggle with self confidence because its hard to undo being told you cant/wont achieve anything for most of your childhood by classmates and father, but its starting to come around (with a good psychologist).

Can't afford a gym membership? walk around the loving block. walk up and down your apartment buildings stairs. JUST EAT LESS. no one needs a footlong sandwich, or chips with their hamburger/steak/schnitty. You'll save money by ordering smaller meals too. Self Esteem? 24hr gym. go at 2AM.

Just because you won't progress as quickly as someone who has *good genetics* doesn't mean it's futile. A buddy of mine is Korean, and I can put on muscle twice as quick as him with a fraction of the effort. He still gets to the gym every loving day and works for the small gains he can make. Being genetically predisposed to something doesn't stop the person IF THEY WANT IT ENOUGH. poo poo, it's not even really that easy for me to lose the relatively small amount of fat I have, probably because I am genetically predisposed to having a beer gut like my dad does, and his dad did. I lost my rear end before I lost anything off my belly.

I dont want/expect anyone to feel sorry for me after this post, but its not some massive lifestyle shift to begin being healthy, and I figured I might be a somewhat relatable situation to others in here. Blaming Genetics is just another reason to not try and its a lovely one. If thats your attitude I hope you dont procreate, lest your children be stricken with the same insurmountable struggle of not having a second helping.

Serrath posted:

The most current models hold that you can genetically inherent the propensity to store larger amounts of fat in the presence of over abundant food, not the quality of being obese specifically

Its probably just that processed sugar is in loving ~everything,~ even normally considered healthy foods, and it fucks with your brain and your digestive system/metabolism. The amount of fatties I see drinking a gigantic Boost Juice under the assumption it is good for them is really scary.

Fat free poo poo is loaded with sugar so it tastes good. you would be better off with full fat whatever than with 98% fat free whatever. People tell you to avoid Coke but Lift/Solo/lemonade has like twice the sugar of Coke (which is still bad but its an interesting example) Its sort of not as bad in Australia thanks to not being reliant on High Fructose Corn Syrup as a sweetener but its still pretty loving bad.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
laserface in personal responsibility anecdote shock

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

You should write a book of self discovery and personal triumph.

It'll be a best seller.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Laserface posted:

~Story time~

Congratulations. You hit the lottery. Just because you were lucky enough to have the confluence of hundreds of different factors all coming together at the same time to enable you to make the change that has enriched your life doesn't mean that people who haven't had that luck are deserving of your scorn.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
all that's actually been proven tbh is thatfatkid is a piece of poo poo at any size

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM

Laserface posted:

A plucky tale where a white guy from the Shire succeeds at life using bootstraps

As a white guy from the Shire who spent most of his life surfing I need to cut you down a few pegs or so congrats on moving your life in a positive direction but this is auspol, we don't play nice with others

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Serrath posted:

The most current models hold that you can genetically inherent the propensity to store larger amounts of fat in the presence of over abundant food, not the quality of being obese specifically

Sure, but how much can genetics explain why 35% of the US population is fat while only 10% of the Belgian population is fat for example?

RC Bandit
Sep 7, 2012

Hanson: It's Time

Grimey Drawer
To all fatgoons,

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3758780

Swole yourself today!

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
AABHAAHJSAHAHSAHAHSHBHAHAHAHBHAHAKLALAHAHAHAHAHAH

the#irABC posted:

Greg Hunt wins inaugural Best Minister in the World award at Dubai summit

Federal Environment Minister Greg Hunt has won the inaugural Best Minister in the World award at a summit in Dubai.

The World Government Summit is hosted by the United Arab Emirates and featured a keynote address from American President Barack Obama.

Mr Hunt was in Dubai to receive his award overnight, with the conference leaders saying he had played a crucial role in reducing carbon emissions.

His award was judged on criteria that included innovation, leadership, impact and reputation.

The World Government Summit is dedicated to shaping the future of government through innovation and technology.

World leaders, scientists and media experts are attending the summit which features forums on the future of renewable energy, zombie apocalypse preparedness and the future of money.

Keynote speakers also included Yusuf Islam (formerly Cat Stevens), the former president of Ireland, Mary Robinson, and ocean conservation advocate Lewis Pugh.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Birb Katter posted:

It's okay Birb, I hereby award you the First Annual Montgomery Burns Award for Outstanding Achievement in the Field of Excellent Pavel Posting

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM

Birdstrike posted:

It's okay Birb, I hereby award you the First Annual Montgomery Burns Award for Outstanding Achievement in the Field of Excellent Pavel Posting

It's excellence, not excellent. The excellent award is the Bill and Ted award.

--

ABC has an interactive homeless map thing up

--

Don't play fast and loose with this Pavel at work, you won't win (unless you find out your boss is a Pavel fan too at which point are you hiring?)

:nws: http://40.media.tumblr.com/079f9c7879e690929aff1ac60f761aaf/tumblr_mg4guutdSC1r13tm3o1_1280.jpg :nws:

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Birb Katter posted:

It's excellence, not excellent. The excellent award is the Bill and Ted award.

--

ABC has an interactive homeless map thing up

--

Don't play fast and loose with this Pavel at work, you won't win (unless you find out your boss is a Pavel fan too at which point are you hiring?)

:nws: http://40.media.tumblr.com/079f9c7879e690929aff1ac60f761aaf/tumblr_mg4guutdSC1r13tm3o1_1280.jpg :nws:

'Excellence Pavel Posting' doesn't make sense

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Birb Katter posted:

Hey, the Holden Camira won Car of the Year, so you know, there can be tarnishing here as well.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM

Birdstrike posted:

'Excellence Pavel Posting' doesn't make sense

Who cares about grammar when you have Pavel?

:nws: http://i.imgur.com/oIfWewh.jpg :nws:

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

gay picnic defence posted:

Sure, but how much can genetics explain why 35% of the US population is fat while only 10% of the Belgian population is fat for example?

That's where corn subsidies come in

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth

Frogmanv2 posted:

Congratulations. You hit the lottery. Just because you were lucky enough to have the confluence of hundreds of different factors all coming together at the same time to enable you to make the change that has enriched your life doesn't mean that people who haven't had that luck are deserving of your scorn.

Luck has nothing to do with having the self discipline to not be a fat piece of poo poo that blames their obesity on bullshit.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

thatfatkid posted:

Luck has nothing to do with having the self discipline to not be a fat piece of poo poo that blames their obesity on bullshit.

No, luck has everything to do with it. He was lucky that his brain had the right balance of chemicals streaming through it in order to go to the gym. He was lucky he had the knowledge, experience and money to continue going to the gym.

How exactly did he develop the self discipline required to make these choices? Do you think it just magically happened? Or that there was a long list of events leading up to that decision that all played a part in it?

Serrath
Mar 17, 2005

I have nothing of value to contribute
Ham Wrangler

gay picnic defence posted:

I don't want to keep contributing to a derail but I qualified my statement to include the fact that this genetic variation is seen in environments of calorie excess. This is a spectrum, not an absolute measure; models suggest that the US simply has more excess than Belgium

Obviously there's more to it than that and I'd be the last person to dismiss psychological factors (that may even vary from region to region). My reply was directed more at people who would dismiss the genetic relationship completely

clusterfuck
Feb 6, 2004

Dave from Something Wonky had some chat this week about attitudes to refugees, immigrants and general racism and basically blamed Howard. It got me thinking "yes but" and then I found this 1995 doco about shock jocks that sets the scene of pre Howard attitudes.

pro-click documentary:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9IzkKir6sI

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

I finally caught up with the thread and just want to say Pavel is awesome, thanks Birb!

(Though it's good you started putting them behind links, if I'd started catching up at work instead of home that might have been awkward)

(Also big eyeroll to whoever was going on about how he shouldnt be crossdressing)

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Greg Hunt won an award for being "the best minister in the world"

I have no other words

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

They obviously love Top Gear in Dubai.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?

Laserface posted:

~Story time~
For the record I used to be a pretty sedentary person (gaming 5-7hrs a night, no exercise ever, desk job) who has never been into sports or fitness or anything to do with active lifestyles. I was comfortable with my lovely diet and lovely lifestyle because they enabled each other. I don't even know why I did it but I joined a gym about 6 months ago. I hate the idea of gyms and the stereotypes. everything about the 'gym person' image was the exact opposite of what I am. I didn't even want to do it. I didn't want to be muscle-y, I didn't want to lose weight, I didn't want to get sweaty and exert myself.

I went from not even being able to complete a single pushup to doing 60 in a row without much hassle in 6 months. Its a 30min commitment 3 days a week, I barely changed my eating habits (I still eat fast food/get stoned and gorge on 30 McNuggets) and I still dropped a pants size (closing in on two). Admittedly I wasn't obese, but I was basically a skinny fat dude with a pot belly and now I actually have some body definition besides a gut. if I put 100% of my effort behind this poo poo I would probably be one of those 100kg of lean muscle guys ready to king hit dudes in The Cross by now. But I don't really like exerting myself and getting sweaty so I just do what I can (with a weekly PT session to really push me.)

And you know what? I feel better about myself than loving ever. For literally the first time in my 30 years of existing, I can look at myself naked in the mirror and actually feel GOOD about myself. After being picked on for my entire schooling life for being a skinny, pasty four-eyes at schools in The Shire (where if you aren't tanned and surfie you're basically scum), to the point where I tried to kill myself at the age of 12, 13 and 18 (and for unrelated but similar reasons at 25 and 28) that is a massive deal. I still struggle with self confidence because its hard to undo being told you cant/wont achieve anything for most of your childhood by classmates and father, but its starting to come around (with a good psychologist).

Can't afford a gym membership? walk around the loving block. walk up and down your apartment buildings stairs. JUST EAT LESS. no one needs a footlong sandwich, or chips with their hamburger/steak/schnitty. You'll save money by ordering smaller meals too. Self Esteem? 24hr gym. go at 2AM.

Just because you won't progress as quickly as someone who has *good genetics* doesn't mean it's futile. A buddy of mine is Korean, and I can put on muscle twice as quick as him with a fraction of the effort. He still gets to the gym every loving day and works for the small gains he can make. Being genetically predisposed to something doesn't stop the person IF THEY WANT IT ENOUGH. poo poo, it's not even really that easy for me to lose the relatively small amount of fat I have, probably because I am genetically predisposed to having a beer gut like my dad does, and his dad did. I lost my rear end before I lost anything off my belly.

I dont want/expect anyone to feel sorry for me after this post, but its not some massive lifestyle shift to begin being healthy, and I figured I might be a somewhat relatable situation to others in here. Blaming Genetics is just another reason to not try and its a lovely one. If thats your attitude I hope you dont procreate, lest your children be stricken with the same insurmountable struggle of not having a second helping.

Its probably just that processed sugar is in loving ~everything,~ even normally considered healthy foods, and it fucks with your brain and your digestive system/metabolism. The amount of fatties I see drinking a gigantic Boost Juice under the assumption it is good for them is really scary.

Fat free poo poo is loaded with sugar so it tastes good. you would be better off with full fat whatever than with 98% fat free whatever. People tell you to avoid Coke but Lift/Solo/lemonade has like twice the sugar of Coke (which is still bad but its an interesting example) Its sort of not as bad in Australia thanks to not being reliant on High Fructose Corn Syrup as a sweetener but its still pretty loving bad.

Maybe you should have, I don't know, not tried to kill yourself silly. It's that easy, just PUT down the razor blade. Just lmao off at anyone who is suicidal JUST DONT KILL YOURSELF! DONT PUT THAT NOOSE AROUND YOUR NECK PROBLEM SOLVED

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
The Australian just published a call for a universal basic income trial in Australia. Today is opposite day, I guess.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Amethyst posted:

The Australian just published a call for a universal basic income trial in Australia. Today is opposite day, I guess.

Holy crap, anyone mind doing a copy paste?

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Bifauxnen posted:

Holy crap, anyone mind doing a copy paste?

I've only got the print edition, can't get through the paywall.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

quote:

As we go into the new political year, I am putting out a request to our sitting leaders: the Australian “innovation nation” desperately needs some innovative policy.

Our stagnant political environment has got to respond to a changing economy by looking at radical ideas and trying new things.

I have one such idea. Let’s trial an Australian basic income.

An Aussie version of the universal basic income would be a payment made to every citizen, no matter how rich or poor.

At $1000 a month, it would cover one’s primary needs and create a floor for living standards. It would be netted off from existing government programs such as the pension and Newstart, as well as from the tax deductions ­received by the rich.

Such a program would really make a meaningful difference to the lives of people struggling in the new world of Uber and the changing nature of work.

Growth in the so-called “gig economy” — driven by changes in technology and shifting demand and supply relationships in the ­labour market — means that thinking about unemployment and welfare needs to change.

Employment is becoming ­increasingly unstable, with a growth in casual, part-time or short-term roles.

The ABI would allow everyday people to continue to plan and ­engage with the labour market, to make the economy grow strongly and fairly for decades to come.

Australia needs this because our welfare system is broken. It’s well known that means-testing welfare payments warps the incentive to work.

For every dollar a jobseeker on Newstart earns over $102 a fortnight, they are penalised 50 per cent via reductions in their welfare. Above $252, it is 60c in the dollar.

This is a higher effective rate than that paid by the richest in the land. It’s little wonder that people get stuck on welfare.

While removing the disincentive to work, the ABI also ­allows the unemployed to take risks and engage fully in the fluctuations of the gig economy. It would promote economic dynamism and individual responsibility, and break dependency cycles.

Importantly, with such a program in place, people will be able to start businesses or join start-ups knowing there is a safety net there during the no-income early phase.

The payments allow people to participate with dignity in society. Evidence from Britain is that this radically improves the engagement of those at the bottom of the social ladder and brings people back into employment — it does not get them to sit on the sofa watching television.

This idea has a history of support by some on both the Left and Right and has been gaining traction recently in Canada, Switzerland and The Netherlands.

The biggest splash came from Finland, where a trial is being ­implemented next year.

We cannot wait for the rest of the world to take the lead on this. To begin with, we should trial our own version of the program with a group of 50,000 people in Tasmania or South Australia.

Such a trial would tell us how such a scheme could provide for a uniquely Australian context.

By creating the momentum for change, it would give us a chance to overhaul the Australian concept of welfare.

And it would allow us to show the world we are the innovative nation we claim to be.

The real problem with the ABI is its cost: even on a net basis, the ABI undeniably needs a major increase to tax levels. Where would the money come from?

As I have advocated before, changes to negative gearing, land taxes, superannuation, GST and company tax would all be good places to start.

Australia is one of the world’s wealthiest countries, with some of the lowest rates of taxation. We are in a unique position to try out a truly new idea, and make it our own.

For too long, Australian politics has tinkered with tax and transfers as though our democracy were powerless to make a change.

If the Prime Minister wants an innovative economy, he’s going to need the innovative policy to match.

Mark Carnegie is an investor and founder of MH Carnegie & Co.

I can't help but think a limited trial like that would be so different to a population wide roll out that any conclusions drawn from the trial would be basically meaningless. Should start with the entire state of Tasmania.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

open24hours posted:

Should start with the entire state of Tasmania.
That is an excellent idea.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Wow, that's really nice to see more mainstream coverage. They covered some of the more right wing ways of coming to it pretty well, like removing welfare cliffs.

A nice start to the morning. :unsmith:

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Probably a limited rollout to a combination of swing seats and places where your mates live.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

How much more expensive would it be compared to the current system, anyway? I think we spend around $190b at the moment? $1000/citizen/month works out to roughly $250b, just in the raw payouts, but the lack of means testing and bureaucracy would mean significant savings, right?

• Locked thread