Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Intel&Sebastian posted:

The oregon live story is the first time I've seen non lethal rounds mentioned and that they did fire then at the Lavoy truck.

So basically shawna cox and the 18 year old folk singer think stock SUV's are strong enough to stop a barrage of real bullets? She talks about 5 of them hitting a window and not breaking it but also still talks like it was black hawk down? Idgi.

SUVs are tough American cars that make you invulnerable to the terrifying outside world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Jarmak posted:

I used lasers extensively in the infantry as a force escalation tool. As an aiming tool they are pretty useless (visible lasers anyway, ir at night is a different beast), but there isn't anything better for communicating "I'm going to loving end you if you don't immediately comply" then lighting someone up with a visible laser. So I completely believe that part of the story.

I could see that being useful.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I did a zombie movie a few years ago where he had veterans playing the National Guard soldiers at a checkpoint at the end of the film, with one who served on a checkpoint in Kuwait taking the lead in organizing everything for realism's sake (the director just let them improvise everything since they knew better than him). All of them made sure to bring lasers to aim at the protagonists as they drove up.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Yeah, lasers and lights in general can have a kind of disarming effect. Even professional-grade video cameras (like the kind used on the news) generally have a switch to disable the little red "recording" light because its presence will make some people go completely deer-in-headlights.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

prefect posted:

SUVs are tough American cars that make you invulnerable to the terrifying outside world.

Clearly those Real American Patriots survived because the weaponized cats failed to deploy along with the lasers.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Honestly I think the only reason they work so well is because people believe the Hollywood nonsense, I think it's because when you turn a laser on the person on the other end's thinking goes from "he's threatening me" to "he's preparing to fire".

I've seen many times people completely ignore command's to stop with weapon's pointed at them because (I speculate) they don't feel like it and they think they can get away with it because we generally go out of our way not to shoot people, only to completely lock up their brakes or throw themselves on the ground with their hands up the second someone puts a laser on them.

Jarmak fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Feb 9, 2016

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Jarmak posted:

Honestly I think the only reason they work so well is because people believe the Hollywood nonsense, I think it's because when you turn a laser on the person on the other end's thinking goes from "he's threatening me" to "he's preparing to fire".

I've seen many times people completely ignore command's to stop with weapon's pointed at them because (I speculate) they don't feel like it and they think they can get away with it because we generally go out of our way not to shoot people, only to completely lock up their brakes up or throw themselves on the ground with their hands up the second someone puts a laser on them.

It's remarkable how often people's idea of what happens during an emergency is informed by what they see on TV. Sometimes it's good, like bystanders won't touch people who've been in serious accidents because they know that that can gently caress up someone's spine. Sometimes it's bad, like bystanders won't touch someone who's been in a serious accident even though his car is on fire.

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May
Wait...real life isn't like The Negotiator?

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Zeroisanumber posted:

It's remarkable how often people's idea of what happens during an emergency is informed by what they see on TV.

That goes far far beyond just emergencies. America in particular is absolutely riddled with dumbass "well that's how it is on tv" bullshit. 24 and "interrogation scenes" almost singlehandedly hosed the torture debate for example.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Remember that Oregon State Patrol is who killed Finicum, I don't remember clearly if other agencies were involved in that particular road block. Also they should release a picture of the truck.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
I really enjoy that crazy person David Fry has to keep making youtube videos to explain that his signing a 'talent release' form does not mean he is a crisis actor - a figment of crazy peoples' imagination.

e: three more befendyour base videos up today, fyi. More of the same nonsense.

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May
How is Fry-chan shaving? I was under the impression they had no more running water.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
They're pretty dumb, but they are next to a lake.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Kro-Bar posted:

"You got me."

honest to god this. its just right wing jack off fiction to make themselves sound like heroes.

theflyingorc posted:

Finicum was given so many chances, he really had to fight hard and make a dozen mistakes in order to be

EXECUTED BY THE COPS AS AN INNOCENT MAN

at no point was it unreasonable to think that he didn't know what to do to stay alive, he just didn't want to do it

it's pretty simple if you believe that the evil FBI is trying to murder innocent patriots - you just interpret everything you saw in the worst possible light for the FBI!

its very clear, he is trying to position himself for a quick draw, its why he reaises his hand, then goes for his belt, then raises his hand. he thinks he can trick the cops long enought to pull a han solo.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Intel&Sebastian posted:

That goes far far beyond just emergencies. America in particular is absolutely riddled with dumbass "well that's how it is on tv" bullshit. 24 and "interrogation scenes" almost singlehandedly hosed the torture debate for example.

The CSI effect is the most notable example of this.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Kazak_Hstan posted:

They're pretty dumb, but they are next to a lake.

The lake is over a mile away, more likely they're getting it from a stream.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
"Our demands for the FBI are that they ... start fighting against domestic and foreign terrorists, and right now our country is infiltrated by people who are doing things for selfish reasons"

You don't say

:allears:

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown
By "domestic terrorists" they mean Muslim Americans and BLM (Black Lives Matter, though probably also the BLM)

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Lotka Volterra posted:

Or a well. There's a fire barracks there; they have gasoline to run a generator, they could probably find a mark III pump.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Main Paineframe posted:

One thing to keep in mind when dealing with these guys is that they're dedicated liars who have stated multiple different conflicting objectives, so it's hard to know what the basis of their movement really was. We have to ignore what they said, and instead work based on their actions and known beliefs.

One important aspect of those beliefs, and one that's gotten relatively little coverage, is the fact that the extreme right constantly believes that the government is out to unjustly slaughter massive amounts of white people. Just look at some of the extremist myths that came up over the past decade or so - "Obama's brownshirts", "FEMA death camps", "death panels", and more. Some of them honestly believed that, given the slightest excuse or opportunity, the evil government would roll in and unjustly kill them all for no reason. That's why they didn't really see the self-defense rhetoric as aggressive - at least a few of them honestly believed that if they went in unarmed, law enforcement would be driven by the nefarious government conspiracy to brutally murder them all under false pretexts.

With that in mind, their objective wasn't just to shoot some cops - their objective was to lure the evil government death squads into trying to exterminate them, at which point they would heroically fight off the jackbooted fascist government stormtroopers long enough for the survivors to escape and rally militiamen and patriots all over the country to rise up now that the government's evil plans have been put into action. To us, their self-defense bluster came off as aggressive threats to violently resist arrest, because we're sane people who don't think the President is a foreign Muslim traitor plotting to crush all true patriots, destroy all true American values, and genocide white Christians. But no matter how aggressively they postured and talked, they always expected the police to shoot first, totally unprovoked (at which point they would all quick-draw their guns and shoot three cops each with their super patriot reflexes, just like in action movies and their masturbation fantasies). LaVoy, by trying to run a roadblock and then attempting to pull a gun on the cops, threatens their narrative and worldview.

The reason they're pushing for him to be the unsung hero isn't just because of that, though, it's because the story they're pushing is what they fully expected to happen. They expected the FBI to be a brutal, bloody Gestapo intent on abusing them, not a professional modern law enforcement agency interested mainly in minimizing loss of life and minimizing danger to civilians, to the point where they're honestly shocked that the cops didn't shoot everyone during the arrests. In fact, they're so deep in the crazy that they can't figure out why the cops didn't just shoot everyone. Clearly it can't be because of restraint on the side of the cops, because they believe that the police are positively salivating for opportunities to kill right-wingers. So they conclude that LaVoy's actions must have somehow ruined the government's opportunity to kill the rest of them. How, exactly? They don't actually have a clear answer for that, and if you press them about it they'll just claim that they can't fathom the exact details of those shadowy government murder conspiracies. :tinfoil: This is why their story on LaVoy's death is so disjointed - they need him to have been executed by the dastardly cops, but they also need an explanation for why he was shot but the others weren't, so they make him into a hero who somehow stopped the cops.

Honestly, I don't think the Bundys want the land to go to anyone. They talk about state and local control, but honestly, I think what they really want is for the land to belong to "nobody", so that nobody ends up getting any use out of it...except for the land's neighbors (like the Bundys) who would be able to run rampant over it because the land would have no owner to prevent them from doing so.

Agreed. Finnacum must be the brave martyr or their fantasies don't work.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Kro-Bar posted:

How is Fry-chan shaving? I was under the impression they had no more running water.

Electric razor?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I love thinking about them wasting their bottled drinking water on shaving.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

SubponticatePoster posted:

When they say local they mean, "My buddies around here who think like me." Here in Utah we have a not-insignificant chunk of legislators who do this song and dance all the time; bitching about "local control" but when folks in Salt Lake City want to do something that they don't like, such as a registry for domestic partners pre-SSM they flipped their poo poo and came down hard on the city. We have a lesbian mayor, and SLC itself is a tiny island of blue in a sea of red. If they could figure out how to stop us from voting they would. They gerrymander the gently caress out of Salt Lake county so that we don't have a chance of electing a Dem to the House.

Ironically if the feds gave up control of grazing lands the states would sell them to the highest bidder for the cash influx and then the ranchers couldn't afford the grazing fees because they'd become unsubsidized and they would actually be put out of business instead.

I like that Utah lets me do a straight party vote on the election machine. It makes throwing my vote away in Davis County that much easier.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Just as a headsup folks, DefendYourBase is continuing to release videos. He appears to be working himself up for a full psychotic break- I really can't bear to watch them anymore.

Kro-Bar posted:

You think he's shaving?

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Lotka Volterra posted:

There's water directly in front of the refuge buildings (within 200 feet)

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
According to the last episode of Serial, shaving when its literally the last thing to worry about might actually be the most accurate Army-manning anyone there actually did.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Intel&Sebastian posted:

According to the last episode of Serial, shaving when its literally the last thing to worry about might actually be the most accurate Army-manning anyone there actually did.

This is accurate

kartikeya
Mar 17, 2009

https://twitter.com/WandaKTVZ/status/697153398701862912

:allears:

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I wonder who's the last of the four that thinks channeling Sixta would be a good idea.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

quote:

Two days after Finicum funeral attracts militia members, Kanab hotel maid finds gunshot damage in room

Two days after a funeral for Robert "LaVoy" Finicum attracted men bearing the symbols of well-known militias, a maid working Sunday morning at Kanab's Holiday Inn Express discovered a shattered mirror where a bullet had been fired through a wall.

The shot was not heard by nearby guests or staff and lodged in a headboard, Kanab City Police Chief Tom Cram said.

Guests staying in the two rooms openly carried handguns when they spoke to law enforcement, but all denied firing the shot.

"It was kind of suspicious to us in the fact that everybody claims to not be in the room when it happened," Cram said. He believes it was an accidental discharge.

http://www.sltrib.com/news/3517910-155/two-days-after-finicum-funeral-attracts

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc
well, obviously, that shot came from the FBI, who shot time-bullets at Finicum that landed in the future

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Someone earlier was surprised there hadn't been any accidental discharges from these clowns. Welp.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.

It's obvious that the FBI were just using silencers, that's why no one heard anything and also why the bullet didn't go through multiple walls. It was a subsonic silenced rifle round that was shot at the patriot in the room at the time.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

StandardVC10 posted:

Someone earlier was surprised there hadn't been any accidental discharges from these clowns. Welp.

No true trigger disciple defense is imminent.

Moxie
Aug 2, 2003

StandardVC10 posted:

"You get a bunch of people with guns, things happen," Cram said.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Dapper_Swindler posted:

honest to god this. its just right wing jack off fiction to make themselves sound like heroes.

its very clear, he is trying to position himself for a quick draw, its why he reaises his hand, then goes for his belt, then raises his hand. he thinks he can trick the cops long enought to pull a han solo.

I wonder if he tried to quick draw from his right hip, but he moved the gun to his left hip before driving. A holster on the right hip gets in the way of the seat belt. Safety FirstTM

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Moxie posted:

"You get a bunch of people with guns, things happen," Cram said.

Things called "peace", "utopia"

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

CannonFodder posted:

I wonder if he tried to quick draw from his right hip, but he moved the gun to his left hip before driving. A holster on the right hip gets in the way of the seat belt. Safety FirstTM

He was on video wearing a shoulder holster, so he'd be experienced with drawing. They mentioned the gun being found in a pocket, so I'm guessing he just shoved it in his jacket (maybe he wasn't wearing his rig and decided "gently caress it" and put it in his pocket without bothering to put everything on properly?) and it got stuck or he fumbled.

Edit: The reason he dropped his hands, put them up, then dropped them again was probably just simple uneasiness. It takes a lot of balls (or REALLY severe mental deficiency) to just blindly start drawing a gun when you've got two cops aiming at your face. I think he was just nervous and reconsidered for a second before trying to go along with it.

chitoryu12 fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Feb 10, 2016

size1one
Jun 24, 2008

I don't want a nation just for me, I want a nation for everyone

chitoryu12 posted:

He was on video wearing a shoulder holster, so he'd be experienced with drawing. They mentioned the gun being found in a pocket, so I'm guessing he just shoved it in his jacket (maybe he wasn't wearing his rig and decided "gently caress it" and put it in his pocket without bothering to put everything on properly?) and it got stuck or he fumbled.

Just cause he was wearing a holster doesn't mean he ever practiced drawing from it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Things called "peace", "utopia"

Also "freedom"

• Locked thread