Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

Eclipse12 posted:

Anyone else noticing lately that the same item will show up in shops on more than one floor? I'll see Jar of Flies or Starter Deck two or three floors in a row. Once I even rerolled the items in the room and it stayed there. It's not just on one run, either; it's somewhat regularly.

a shop item isnt removed from the shop pool until you actually pick it up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
God grinding out greed mode is such a pain in the rear end.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
Has anyone had a nightmarish eden start because of eden's blessing with bad synergies? I just had one where I started with technology and dunce. Despite getting incubus and BFF I re-rolled my run on a 6 room because I absolutely had to.

I remember some goon posted a seed where eden starts with 1 health and a black heart via evil match book, which spawned 3 troll bombs right as you begin. Surely there's worse possibilities with synergies, like a run where you start with quad shot monstro's lung or something.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

CaptainScraps posted:

Cheatengine is your friend.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

CaptainScraps posted:

Are you mixing and matching characters? I think it took me 15 play throughs to max it. I know if you play the same guy over and over the machine shits quicker.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

I finally got Mega Maw after building an infinite reroll (and infinite money) engine in Greed Mode.

One burst took 2/3 of Ultra Greed's health before it finally petered out. In hindsight I should have hugged one of those red flames to load up a second charge.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
I beat the guardian just now.

Judas' tongue gave me sacrificial dagger and abaddon at a cheap cost. Got to the womb with a full stock of hearts. Found tammy's head with car battery.

Still left with a single heart after killing it lives. gently caress that challenge forever.

Toothache
Apr 5, 2011

Platypus = God's beta testing animal
If you get yourself a great build in Greed Mode, and find the Missing Poster, getting The Lost's unlock is a breeze, I found. Lucked into Purity's high fire rate on the respawn, the fire rate was so huge it was overcoming Ultra Greed's damage reduction somewhat, with a bunch of damage ups on top, Guppy, the Glowing Crown, and an Algiz rune. Easiest Lost unlock I ever did manage. Still missing the Hush and Mega Satan unlocks, but I think I'll wait for the Missing Poster to achieve the same thing, or Holy Mantle (still need about 160 more coins). I don't mind taking my time over this, much less frustration overall.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

JoshVanValkenburg posted:

Are you mixing and matching characters? I think it took me 15 play throughs to max it. I know if you play the same guy over and over the machine shits quicker.

Yeah. I realized I was doing it wrong and started rolling with blank card and two of diamonds and filled it up pretty fast.

I thought I'd hate playing as the Lost but once he gets the holy mantle, it's actually pretty fun. You're a goddamned monster if you can get off the ground.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

CaptainScraps posted:

Yeah. I realized I was doing it wrong and started rolling with blank card and two of diamonds and filled it up pretty fast.

I thought I'd hate playing as the Lost but once he gets the holy mantle, it's actually pretty fun. You're a goddamned monster if you can get off the ground.

That's for true. In my last Lost run, I found a clean bedroom on Basement Two, plus I found a golden bomb on the same floor. Thankfully I had enough speed to do the Black Market glitch while in the Crawl Space. My Black Market ended up having a re-roll machine as well, which regenerates all 5 items every time you re-roll.

I was pretty much untouchable going into Caves 1.

Edit: My current Lost run I just got two clean bedrooms in a row, the second having a Black Market + Re-Roll machine without having me to bomb. My base damage is at 85.71 right now.

Kuros fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Feb 9, 2016

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

A church for one

Let no one say spiked treasure rooms never did anything for me. Crawl space contained little chad. The boss turned out to be chad, but I already had little chad so I got a proper item from the boss room instead. :woop:

Ever have a floor with no secret room? This might be the case:

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
I unlocked the keeper via cheat engine just to see how bad he was.

The answer:Very

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

EorayMel posted:

Yeah, Keeper is pretty much refined essence of :itwaspoo: and I don't know why I bothered completing him (It's because I'm cripplingly addicted to playing this dumb game).

Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT
Does anyone know how Greedbutt calculates your overall percentage? Does it add in both your overall score and your time or is it just the first one? I tried calculating it myself but I drew tired of punching in numbers and made an error somewhere along the way so I figured I'd just ask if anyone around here knows how it works exactly because I'm lazy as gently caress.

Bubble Bobby
Jan 28, 2005
So I've done everything but the 1001% achievement never showed up :( Is this a glitch? Anyway to fix it?

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Are you sure you've picked up every item at least once on a non-seeded run?

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Bug Bill Murray posted:

So I've done everything but the 1001% achievement never showed up :( Is this a glitch? Anyway to fix it?

You have to do the Blank Card+Sun Card thing to unlock a baby to get that achievement right?

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Tech X might be my favorite item. It's stupidly overpowered with almost any combination.

scourgeofthe7bees
Jun 21, 2008

EorayMel posted:

Counterpoint: the Keeper makes every run tense, and although it is frustrating at times, i am having a blast trying to get all his unlocks (only missing boss rush now... Stupid cursed eye on curse of the blind)

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

A church for one

MokBa posted:

Tech X might be my favorite item. It's stupidly overpowered with almost any combination.
I had mom's knife + brimstone + tech X once. Every time I fired I'd get:

1) Regular, full damage mom's knife
2) Tech X + brimstone circles of doom
3) Mom's knife + brimstone 'knife barrage'

Have 1000h in this game as of yesterday. :smithicide:

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
Has there been any news about the PS4 version of afterbirth ?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

scourgeofthe7bees posted:

Counterpoint: the Keeper makes every run tense, and although it is frustrating at times, i am having a blast trying to get all his unlocks (only missing boss rush now... Stupid cursed eye on curse of the blind)

Counter-counterpoint: the lost does that without being incredibly awful to actually play

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

I.N.R.I posted:

Has there been any news about the PS4 version of afterbirth ?

Nah

Bubble Bobby
Jan 28, 2005

voltcatfish posted:

You have to do the Blank Card+Sun Card thing to unlock a baby to get that achievement right?

this worked! thank you. I officially have no life now

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Counter-counterpoint: the lost does that without being incredibly awful to actually play

Something that I never thought I'd see written!

scourgeofthe7bees
Jun 21, 2008

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Y'all just sissies

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

ImpAtom posted:

Something that I never thought I'd see written!

The Lost, with HM, is perfect imo because you can be aggressive as hell in most rooms (you can play it safe if you're hit once) but there's still the possibility of you slipping up badly. Meanwhile, always being able to take devil deals generally means more time playing with off-optimal items (which you otherwise wouldn't pick up) which is a big part of the fun imo

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
I can pretty consistently win with The Lost now but I'm about to hit a -200 win streak trying to fill out The Keeper's hard marks.

gently caress The Keeper.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Argh gently caress Fire Mind, it's impossible to not blow yourself up because the explosive tear is always the one that hits right after the enemy teleports into you.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

The Keeper is poo poo because most of the enjoyment/ability to do well in this game comes from being fast, moving fast and having a fast fire rate. The Keeper is slow, shoots slow and thats means you are much more reliant on getting specific items to get to a "fun" or "good" stage.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Pwnstar posted:

The Keeper is poo poo because most of the enjoyment/ability to do well in this game comes from being fast, moving fast and having a fast fire rate. The Keeper is slow, shoots slow and thats means you are much more reliant on getting specific items to get to a "fun" or "good" stage.

Yeah this is how I feel. He starts so far in the hole with everything (luck, speed, fire rate) that he's just a pain in the rear end to start with and would be even if he could pick up soul hearts and make devil deals. And he's so far behind that it's near impossible to swing him into god mode even if you manage to make some devil deals or get some lucky items.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Just giving him three health instad of two would go a long way to make him serviceable. Way more of a buffer to work around his other downsides, and enabling some high-risk devil deals in a limited fashion. It would make playing him tense instead of excruciating.

But you know that the next expansion's equivalent of the Greed Machine will just give him Deep Pockets and Swallowed Penny as starting items, moving him up to current The Lost levels of difficulty, to make way for the new hardest character

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

HenryEx posted:

Just giving him three health instad of two would go a long way to make him serviceable. Way more of a buffer to work around his other downsides, and enabling some high-risk devil deals in a limited fashion. It would make playing him tense instead of excruciating.

But you know that the next expansion's equivalent of the Greed Machine will just give him Deep Pockets and Swallowed Penny as starting items, moving him up to current The Lost levels of difficulty, to make way for the new hardest character

Or maybe let him pay for devil deals in filthy, filthy lucre. Anything to make it so taking a devil deal doesn't just make him an even shittier version of The Lost.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I love binding of Isaac but I am so bad at it. I have many hours but it's just not something that I do well at.

I was up to -150 streak at one point.

Something I wish they would stop doing is nerfing over powered items. I don't understand why a game involving randomness needs great items to be lowered when so many lacklustre items exist. Surely it's part of the run to get a run where everything just works to balance out those that don't.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

VideoGames posted:

I love binding of Isaac but I am so bad at it. I have many hours but it's just not something that I do well at.

I feel your pain man, 70 hours in and I just got my tenth Moms Heart kill last night :cry:

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

VideoGames posted:

Something I wish they would stop doing is nerfing over powered items. I don't understand why a game involving randomness needs great items to be lowered when so many lacklustre items exist. Surely it's part of the run to get a run where everything just works to balance out those that don't.

Not that it was ever spectacular, but I used to really love Tech 2 during the flash game, and now it's one of the worst items in the game. It's so drat weak that it's essentially become a run killer.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

MokBa posted:

Not that it was ever spectacular, but I used to really love Tech 2 during the flash game, and now it's one of the worst items in the game. It's so drat weak that it's essentially become a run killer.

This is a depressingly common thing when it comes to video game balance. A certain thing is popular? Better nerf it until it's just plain detrimental to use!

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Hey, I'm to the point where I can streak easy with Isaac up to the super secret boss (don't get me wrong, this ain't a brag, my first final boss kill was after 50 losses or so WITH previous experience on the Flash game), but I started using The Lost and I'm dying because of sloppy mistakes before Mom. We all hit walls, hehe.

Also Edmond hates you, can't you see.

(Hard Mode is anti-fun, blergh)

TheJadedOne
Aug 13, 2004
The keeper is beyond unfun. I have gotten decent starting items only to be so slow I can't out run enemies beyond the 3rd floor and dying to that. If i cheat engine can I get the steam achievements as well? At least playing the original Lost I felt like I had a chance even if it was slim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

A church for one
I re-rolled a run and got thin odd mushroom, tech 2, and soy milk. My damage was comically bad.