Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

MrChupon posted:

Ok guys not PredictIt but the same difference. My sports bookie is offering Trump -580 on the NH primary tonight. So risk $58 to win $10, or risk $106 to win $20, etc.... I realize that's a heavy favorite, but it seems like a foregone conclusion looking at the polls?

Tell me why I shouldn't dump my entire (~2.5k) bankroll on it to win ~$400?

Based on that logic you should max out every credit card you have and write hot checks to bet even more. Bet $20K if you can. Or $100K Where else can you make that return in the next 6 hours?

The real answer is at some point it will stop being fun and a loss will go from annoying to something that will really set you back. I don't know if that's $100, $1000, or $20. Only you can answer that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

Zeta Taskforce posted:

Based on that logic you should max out every credit card you have and write hot checks to bet even more. Bet $20K if you can. Or $100K Where else can you make that return in the next 6 hours?

The real answer is at some point it will stop being fun and a loss will go from annoying to something that will really set you back. I don't know if that's $100, $1000, or $20. Only you can answer that

Fair enough. My sports gambling bankroll is indeed already 'fun money' but I get your point. I think I might be able to get $2,000 of satisfaction in watching Trump underperform in the the odd chance this doesn't come in. I'm going to think about it a little more. I'll post the pick so you can all make fun of me if I actually pull the trigger.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

OrangeKing posted:

Remember, you're not up against the general public: you're up against other people playing the same game you are. They just happen to be very bad at it.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

MrChupon posted:

Ok guys not PredictIt but the same difference. My sports bookie is offering Trump -580 on the NH primary tonight. So risk $58 to win $10, or risk $106 to win $20, etc.... I realize that's a heavy favorite, but it seems like a foregone conclusion looking at the polls?

These are better odds than PredictIt so... go for it?

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Gyges posted:

Lol at insider trading on an ongoing primary.

In theory, couldn't a lot of media and polling firm employees have the inside scoop on exit poll data that hasn't been released yet?

sharkbomb
Feb 9, 2005
I was wondering about that too - employees at polling firms would know the results before anyone and could play the shifts on PredictIt.

edit: not that it matters

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

MrChupon posted:

Diversify your "investments" or one unlucky outcome will clean you out. That said, it's probably a solid bet.

Oiled and Ready
Oct 11, 2004

He wished it could be as respectable and orthodox as spying. But somehow in his hands the traditional tools and attitudes were always employed toward mean ends: cloak for a laundry sack, dagger to peel potatoes, dossiers to fill up dead Sunday afternoons ...

railroad terror posted:

Oh god I did it again I bet on Trump to win

Also MSNBC early exit poll at 5. I expect an overrepresentation of Kasich (retirees)

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

it moved up to -600 before i pulled the trigger. And it looks like my bet singlehandedly moved it to -620. Anyway here you go, you can enjoy the laughs if this doesn't come in:

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

In for real (maybe) on Kasich 2nd No @ ~45c.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
The first exit poll is going to be Trump 28, Kasich 20, Rubio sub 10 - it's going to set the servers on fire.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Flavahbeast posted:

In theory, couldn't a lot of media and polling firm employees have the inside scoop on exit poll data that hasn't been released yet?

If it were later in the day, yes.

However most people are going to be voting after 4pm, because they do have to work. Exit polls done now are going to over represent retired and unemployed voters.

Vox Nihili posted:

In for real (maybe) on Kasich 2nd No @ ~45c.

I kind of wish I'd held off on some of my bets because the prices have really jazzed up since I made them. Should have waited to buy my various Bernie No bets until tonight, but now I'm only in it for a reasonable return instead of amazing return.

Listening to Hannity today, because I hate myself, and the way they're spinning Bernie winning NH as a Hillary catastrophe is hilarious.

Gyges has issued a correction as of 22:44 on Feb 9, 2016

StevePerry
Sep 5, 2003

don't stop believin
Countdown to server crash...

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
welp it broke

e: nm, looks like its fine now. Was spinning for a long time a couple mins ago.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Working fine for me.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Cruz 2nd place for 9c now, wow.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

pathetic little tramp posted:

The second place for Kasich market is skyrocketing. Someone in the comments said he suspected insider trading and I think everyone jumped on that boat.

I'm counting the votes before they even come in!

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Note: exit polls aren't going to be predictive right now because of the bias toward the highly engaged, unemployed, and smaller towns. But I want them anyway.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Someone mock up some fake exit polls showing Trump second and Cruz first then post them in all Trump markets.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

I wonder what would happen if the first polls show Kasich at 1 and Trump at 2, servers would probably go down all night

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Jewel Repetition posted:

Note: exit polls aren't going to be predictive right now because of the bias toward the highly engaged, unemployed, and smaller towns. But I want them anyway.

They're gonna confuse the hell outta people and then I'm gonna pounce!

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

rubio NO for second at $.76 seems pretty solid, no?

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Abel Wingnut posted:

No.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Abel Wingnut posted:

imo rubio 2nd is underpriced and kasich is absurdly overpriced, considering that there was so much bunching up in the polls around 2nd place

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Abel Wingnut posted:

Rubio Yes for 24c is much more solid.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Vox Nihili posted:

Rubio Yes for 24c is much more solid.

what's your reasoning? with the whole debate performance and the exit demographics saying that performance had some effect, i can't help but think he's on the downswing.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

I don't want to rule it out, so I can keep my perfect record, but Rubio not coming in second is less likely than they think.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
Well I'm in for 100 on Kasich NO for second place, let's see what happens.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
Yeah, this is one of those tricky spots, at least for me.

I think Kasich has a better chance for 2nd, but no way is it over 50%. So far, going for expected value/targeting undervalued stuff means that you wind up ahead in the end.

Served me well in Iowa at least. I guess check back in once I lose like $150 on NH.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

FWIW Nate gives Rubio a 25% shot at 2nd place as of this morning: http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/whats-at-stake-in-new-hampshires-republican-primary/

I bought a bunch of Rubio.No at .70 to hedge my Kasich NO stash. I really think someone in Kasich's campaign has been curating the 2nd place market, I was watching it all day: his shares were pretty stable at or just over .50, but whenever he went to an average of .49 it would only be for a moment before shooting back up. .50 YES for second place just doesn't seem like a rational bet to me

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

double post woops

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

kasich for second going nuts

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Kasich Noes about one block away from plummeting down to zero lol

Adar
Jul 27, 2001
I have several thousand in action on Rubio.2nd.No and think it's the safest bet short of Trump to win.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Remember, when Bernie wins Clinton bets are going to be fun as people over react to the loss.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001
1 minute after I type this, the breaking CNN headline is over half of the exit polled said the debate influenced their vote gg marco

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Gyges posted:

Remember, when Bernie wins Clinton bets are going to be fun as people over react to the loss.

There's basically already Berniemania on the markets. Bernie CO was at 75 cents earlier today!

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
So tempted to buy more Rubio no for 2nd.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Gyges posted:

So tempted to buy more Rubio no for 2nd.

It just swung 10 cents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Vox Nihili posted:

It just swung 10 cents.

I appears to be in a looping of 10 cent swing. Mid 60s to mid 70s and back.

• Locked thread