Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

ProfessorCirno posted:

Stop responding to IZ posters already.

I knew we shouldn't have changed the name from "Traditional Games Discussion." That's when the rot set in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

ProfessorCirno posted:

The truth of the matter is that most people are not all that creative or ambitious.

Case in point: Sean K. Reynolds just hitting upon the idea that maybe allowing non-casters to do stuff on par with casters and thus making them not-useless at high levels might be a good idea.

quote:

This morning I had some just-woke-up thoughts about resolving issues with “this is what you can do with an Olympic- or Superhuman-level skill” as compared to what you can do with magic at the equivalent character level.

Basically, if you can learn the Fly spell at level 9, you’re able to fly at will, it just uses one of your daily readied feat slots. But if you’re 9th level and you’ve invested a lot of training in the Athletics skill for jumping, you should be able to do some really cool stuff with that… perhaps not quite as much as someone who’s readied Fly that day (skill training is a different resource than the number of available feats you can ready each day), but you still should be in the same ball park. I’m thinking of the Hulk, who has a phenomenal leaping superpower that is very much like flying (except he can’t turn in midair)… if you present the Hulk as a 9th level character (he’s not), he should be able to jump really high and fight flying opponents, even if he’s not using “magic” to do so.

Likewise, at 13th level you can learn the Short Teleport spell, which lets you concentrate for a minute to teleport up to 1,000 feet away to an “anchor” location you designated earlier. Compared to that, what is the character who has a great climb or tumbling skill able to do that’s still cool and relevant?

It almost makes me want to remove training skills as a separate system from the game, and just make skill advancement work like learning feats (including cronks/spells/stunts). And apply the CENOS (Competent, Exceptional, Notable, Olympic, Superhuman) rating to various tasks for each of the feats, whether the feat is a cronk, spell, or stunt.

If I did that, it would work like this: At 9th level you could take the Fly feat, which lets you fly, or you could take the Superhuman Leaping feat (a placeholder name), which lets you jump long distances as if you were flying in a straight line. Or at 13th level you could take the Short Teleport spell, which lets you teleport up to 1,000 feet away, or you could take the Flash Running feat (also placeholder/trademark violation name) that lets you run so fast you can phase through walls and appear at your intended destination.

(Yes, I like superheroes, and playing superhero RPGs has influenced my design ideas for Five Moons.)

I’m a bit too invested in the current playtest setup to rework all of that just yet, but I’d like to hear opinions on it.

This was posted two days ago.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
To be fair wasn't a 10th level fighter called a "Superhero" in AD&D?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
It's amazing that he still thinks non-casters should arbitrarily not be allowed to do things as well as casters.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Evil Mastermind posted:

Case in point: Sean K. Reynolds just hitting upon the idea that maybe allowing non-casters to do stuff on par with casters and thus making them not-useless at high levels might be a good idea.

If I remember right, he started making concessions to balance on his blog not long after he left the Pathfinder dev team. Funny how that works.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Yes, and in Chainmail superheroes had, among other things, a chance to instantly kill dragons flying overhead.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Evil Mastermind posted:

Has a "let me tell you why that thing you like is actually really bad" or "let me tell you why that thing you don't like is actually really good" ever actually swayed anyone?

I've often had my opinion on stuff changed by people who explain why the thing I like sucks. Yes, even people who are rude or abrasive about it. Like I'm pretty sure this is exactly how I started appreciating a lot of nerd things I do now like competitive play in video games, lots of design choices in board games, and even 4e in D&D.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Evil Mastermind posted:

Lemon Curdistan posted:

It's amazing that he still thinks non-casters should arbitrarily not be allowed to do things as well as casters.

I think this is less a lack of ambition issue and more what happens when you turn D&D into a pair of blinders. You get so used to D&D - or worse, in this case, one specific edition of D&D - that you lose sight and understanding of everything else around it. He even says he's been playing superhero games, and of course he's in a position to know about games outside of D&D, he was just so blinded by 3.x that he was unable to make any connections. I also wonder what superhero games he was playing - and how similar they are to d20. It's not like tabletop games are alone in this; Lots of video games end up with pointless mechanics because "that's what you have in video games," and if you wanna talk superhero movies, Avengers 2 had the entirely pointless and somewhat insulting Black Widow x Hulk romance subplot because "movies need a romance." 3.x was built on the idea of the rules enforcing some kinda "realism" to them. It's not surprising SKR took 16 years to finally realize that wasn't mandatory and that a giant space exists outside of his island. It's just pathetic. The fact that he's still unable to explain things outside of a 3.x context tells you how utter devoted he is (and how warped he was).

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Oba-Ma... Oba-Ma! Oba-Ma, aasha deh!

8th. That's not even name-level, and already the expectation is that the fighter is at a superheroic level of competence.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Evil Mastermind posted:

The best part is when he keeps qualifying the Jumping Hard Enough to Emulate Fly skill with "remember, you can only jump-fly in a straight line!"

It's also worth noting that level 1 Fighters were titled "Veterans", and were supposed to be the rough equivalents of Space Marines in a miniatures wargames, just with a "zoomed-in" scale since you're playing this after entering a dungeon.

There was a tonal shift between what it was supposed to be and what the mechanics made it feel like insofar as people think that the "level 1 weak-rear end shitfarmer that needs to earn their fun" was how it was supposed to play out all along.

gradenko_2000 fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Feb 9, 2016

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

ProfessorCirno posted:

It's just pathetic.

Well I'm proud of him for escaping at all.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

ProfessorCirno posted:

I think this is less a lack of ambition issue and more what happens when you turn D&D into a pair of blinders. You get so used to D&D - or worse, in this case, one specific edition of D&D - that you lose sight and understanding of everything else around it. He even says he's been playing superhero games, and of course he's in a position to know about games outside of D&D, he was just so blinded by 3.x that he was unable to make any connections. I also wonder what superhero games he was playing - and how similar they are to d20.

Yeah, something I observed when I reviewed Pathfinder was that almost all the design experience of the people involved was solely d20. I think SKR was one of the few original Pathfinder designers that actually had written for something else (Alternity). I'm well aware of how well the d20 blinders go on because I wrote a decent amount of d20 material, and even got recognized for it, but the way d20 design goes is that a lot of it basically formula. How a monster is designed, how a class or race are designed, all have fairly tight formulae of how they're done, and when you're inside the bubble you learn that balance is achieved just by following those formulae. Or, alternately, just making sure your material roughly matches the power level or challenge rating of other things at that number. You have to step outside of it and realize "huh, clerics are kind of bullshit, huh?" to get out of it, and I did eventually. But I remember the fights I would get in with my codesigners - like seriously angry feuds - and now I wonder what the gently caress I was thinking. I mean, obviously I was in the right, duh, but realizing how hosed the system I was working in makes it seem kind of comical.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Yeah, something I observed when I reviewed Pathfinder was that almost all the design experience of the people involved was solely d20. I think SKR was one of the few original Pathfinder designers that actually had written for something else (Alternity). I'm well aware of how well the d20 blinders go on because I wrote a decent amount of d20 material, and even got recognized for it, but the way d20 design goes is that a lot of it basically formula. How a monster is designed, how a class or race are designed, all have fairly tight formulae of how they're done, and when you're inside the bubble you learn that balance is achieved just by following those formulae. Or, alternately, just making sure your material roughly matches the power level or challenge rating of other things at that number. You have to step outside of it and realize "huh, clerics are kind of bullshit, huh?" to get out of it, and I did eventually. But I remember the fights I would get in with my codesigners - like seriously angry feuds - and now I wonder what the gently caress I was thinking. I mean, obviously I was in the right, duh, but realizing how hosed the system I was working in makes it seem kind of comical.

You don't, really. I actually had this awakening just after 3e hit, BECAUSE of 3e. I had been playing Living City for a while at that point, and had started out with a fighter, quickly learned that fighters were bad, and did what everybody else did. Dual class to a caster. Then, when Living Greyhawk started, naturally, fightmans are good now! So I played a fighter, took awesome feats... and then an orc critted me at level 3 with a greataxe and I died horribly with no chance of revival after having been scrounging all campaign (which we called Living Accountant for a very good reason) to buy any armor better than loving chainmail, while casters were doing awesome poo poo from level 1. I rerolled as a caster and never looked back. It's possible to break out of the bubble from the inside, but it requires that you actually want to be something that the designers hate.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I am just trying to figure out how even someone with Dungeons & Dragons blinders managed to forget the 3rd Edition Epic Level Handbook where these things already basically happened.

...or, you know, the 2nd Edition "Skills & Powers" handbook where I am pretty sure some of them also happened.

I have little doubt that is not even the earliest example.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

NinjaDebugger posted:

You don't, really. I actually had this awakening just after 3e hit, BECAUSE of 3e. I had been playing Living City for a while at that point, and had started out with a fighter, quickly learned that fighters were bad, and did what everybody else did. Dual class to a caster. Then, when Living Greyhawk started, naturally, fightmans are good now! So I played a fighter, took awesome feats... and then an orc critted me at level 3 with a greataxe and I died horribly with no chance of revival after having been scrounging all campaign (which we called Living Accountant for a very good reason) to buy any armor better than loving chainmail, while casters were doing awesome poo poo from level 1. I rerolled as a caster and never looked back. It's possible to break out of the bubble from the inside, but it requires that you actually want to be something that the designers hate.

A lot of people in the bubble weren't actually playing very much, lots of people who know "D&D-isms" have literally never played or played in a game back in college a decade ago where everyone was drinking every session anyway. I know way too many toilet readers who seemed to think that Monks were the most OP thing in 3.5/Pathfinder.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I judge (fantasy, at least) RPGs on how cool the Fighter-equivalent is. It's amazing how lame most games make them.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Countblanc posted:

A lot of people in the bubble weren't actually playing very much, lots of people who know "D&D-isms" have literally never played or played in a game back in college a decade ago where everyone was drinking every session anyway. I know way too many toilet readers who seemed to think that Monks were the most OP thing in 3.5/Pathfinder.

Yeah, right when 3E was brand new a bunch of folks tripped over themselves to decry the Monk as OP because it got so much stuff, holy poo poo it gets a d20 damage die, but these days you can pretty much easily tell who's actually familiar with the 3.X d20 system and who isn't because even diehard fans will acknowledge things like the various class tier rankings and how it's probably not a good idea to roll Monk in a party made up of Druids, Clerics, Summoners, and whatever else.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Dr. Quarex posted:

I am just trying to figure out how even someone with Dungeons & Dragons blinders managed to forget the 3rd Edition Epic Level Handbook where these things already basically happened.

He's really loving dumb.

Echophonic posted:

I judge (fantasy, at least) RPGs on how cool the Fighter-equivalent is. It's amazing how lame most games make them.

This is the Fighter Litmus Test. If the Fighter-equivalent can't do anything cool and powerful, odds are 99% that the system is a gigantic pile of poo poo.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Dr. Quarex posted:

To be fair I'm still trying to forget the Epic Level Handbook, myself.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

An epistemic bubble is a term for when you surround yourself by people who mirror your own opinions back to you until you believe that they are far more popular and accepted than they are. You can usually tell when this is happening because the person starts using meaningless quantifiers like "good" and "bad" to describe things.

The fact that you deny this and then go on to dismiss listening to other critical perspectives as "a CD thing" is dryly amusing.

you're right it's my irrational fear of the outside voices that makes me hate comic mens, you've really ripped me open raw here over comic book movies and epistemology

Countblanc posted:

When you look at it sideways monks appearing OP almost makes sense, like in theory being able to spider climb up walls, speak any language, roll large damage dice, make a bunch of attacks in a single turn all sound super crazy and dangerous

but then you realize that's because fighters get none of that poo poo and that makes the monk look great and exciting by comparison

Same thing happened with warlocks (CASTERS? That can cast magic missile all day!?) and soulknives (you mean I CAN'T strip the fighter naked and make him feebly punch rats for a session???)

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Echophonic posted:

This is a legit good idea and I subscribe to it myself.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

what the hell does "cronk" mean

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Bongo Bill posted:

It's probably a "new "idea that SKR came up with that was really figured out ilke five years ago by other games.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Bongo Bill posted:

I think it's rude to make fun of Sean Reynolds just because he can't spell crunk.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
The Infraggable Cronk

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Effectronica posted:

I think it's rude to make fun of Sean Reynolds just because he can't spell crunk.

I would party with Sean K

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!

Dr. Quarex posted:

Wasn't this the original source for I AM THE MOON?

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Oh I know. The problem is a large chunk of the hobby is committed to one system come hell or high water.

I mean, look at how bad Warhammer had to get before people started looking for alternatives. Crazy.

Weren't you the one who just earlier this very page argued Man of Steel was good because it was broadly popular?

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

blackmongoose posted:

Wasn't this the original source for I AM THE MOON?

That was the bard spell Glibness, which gave an absurd amount of bonus to bluff rolls. 10 more than the penalty for completely stupid and impossible claims. You get it at level 7.

Wrestlepig fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Feb 10, 2016

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Epic Level handbook had the DCs for 'impossible' things. So you could tell people that you were the moon and then toke up and float away on your own stank cloud.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Terrible Opinions posted:

Weren't you the one who just earlier this very page argued Man of Steel was good because it was broadly popular?

No, if you actually bothered to read back literally one page you'll see that I cited that in response to someone saying "who wants to see (that kind of Superman movie)" where it's perfectly relevant.

Nice try with the lame little gotcha attempt, tho.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Shut the gently caress up about superhero movies.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
http://www.tenkarstavern.com/2016/02/how-long-before-hasbro-buys-out.html?m=1

Interesting thought fodder but I think it is unlikely.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

With how Wizard's runs all their online and digital products, they probably believe it's some kind of a dark magic.

Hasbro doesn't even like RPG's enough to give D&D a regular, full sized dev team. I doubt they're going to buy a company just to cut out the middleman with a minor operational cost. This also assumes that the DriveThru people want to sell and I'm highly doubtful of that.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Nuns with Guns posted:

I would party with Sean K

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.
Hah, yeah, after steadily pulling support from the d&d side of their business for years, wizards is suddenly going to want to pay a lot of money to buy obs.

The entire point of dms guild is that they can make money without having to write or publish anything.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

moths posted:

Man of Steel was kind of hosed because Superman learns that it's ok to take life, and that's not really something anyone associates with the character. It's arguably an unfortunate really of our world, but for a super-human Superman there's always a better way.

Superman's appeal is that he's always going to do what's right and good, but in a Zach Snyder movie that's defined as climactic violence and brutally ending a dude with your bare hands.

That's not what he learns though, the whole movie is about him being torn between wanting to use his powers to help people and trying to keep them a secret because his father sacrificed himself rather than risk Clark's powers getting exposed, and then he runs into a dude whose whole thing is "i'm superman, but all i want to do with these powers is murder and enslave humanity" and he kinda loses his poo poo

BENGHAZI 2 fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Feb 10, 2016

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Lightning Lord posted:

Holy poo poo, the artist Wayne England just died.

The New 52 is pretty much over. Anyway, I'm talking about longterm trends. That "I'm a Marvel I'm a DC" crap is my nerd bugbear.

DCs nostalgia thing goes back to Green Lantern Rebirth, new 52 is a symptom not the cause

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Alien Rope Burn posted:

DC made a lot of its money on Watchmen and Dark Knight Returns and Batman. And the former two are basically just shockers that relied on being horrifying twists on the Silver Age of comics, and though you can appreciate them without a grounding in comics, they have their biggest impact if you know how the characters are being twisted around.

not....really? DKR is a response to DC's longstanding editorial policy that Batman can never age past 29, because once he's 30 he's an Adult and readers can't identify with him. really, the vast majority of miller's batman output (everything but Year One tbh) is about DC's unwillingness to allow characters to change and grow and evolve, and most of that majority is about how silly DC is to have shackled themselves to DKR without realizing the irony

motherfuckers this is what i do

come at me

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Hey y'all, if moving the discussion to the appropriate forum seems too much like "taking it to the clubhouse" maybe we could take it to the chat thread instead? Just sayin'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Literally The Worst posted:

motherfuckers this is what i do

come at me

No.

• Locked thread