Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Total Confusion
Oct 9, 2004

tekz posted:

Apparently there was a major train collision?

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-35530538

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Omi-Polari posted:

As a dumb American can someone explain what's the deal with Austria. Is it just more nativist and right-wing? And it was unaligned in the Cold War? It is a strange place.
Imagine if Texas had become its own country in a peaceful process. Only instead of oil, they have ski mountain tourism. And instead of slavery, they had Hitler being born there.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Cingulate posted:

Imagine if Texas had become its own country in a peaceful process.

cough ww1 cough

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

blowfish posted:

cough ww1 cough
Ok, "imagine if Texas had become its own country before slavery had ended, so everyone has forgotten that war due to how awful everyone was during the following period of continued slavery still"

It's much longer though.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Why is the Austrian federal bird carrying around a hammer and sickle? Is it a communist bird?

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

blowfish posted:

cough ww1 cough

Actually the point where it became apparent that it would be the "kleindeutsche Lösung" (Germany without Austria) was the Austro-Prussian War of 1866.

waitwhatno posted:

Why is the Austrian federal bird carrying around a hammer and sickle? Is it a communist bird?

It has the same meaning as meaning as in the Communist coat of arms (industry and peasants) but it's not communist.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Jesus people, in my analogy, it's not about there having been a foundational war involving Germany and Austria in real history, it's that there is currently no bad blood between Germany and Austria over any such wars, whereas there's still plenty of bad blood in the south of the US over theirs.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
It may have been a bad analogy.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

botany posted:

It may have been a bad analogy.
Logically possible, empirically false

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Austria: Imagine Texas and the Little Germany Solution on the edge of a cliff

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
Remember when that grenade was found at a refuge shelter?

Looks like they found the perpetrators and they are not neo-nazis but from another private security firm and have a migration background.

http://www.spiegel.de/panorama/justiz/villingen-schwenningen-vier-verdaechtige-nach-handgranatenanschlag-festgenommen-a-1076544.html

I'm just glad that people on the left always wait until all the facts are known and don't judge prematurely. Oh wait.

GaussianCopula fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Feb 9, 2016

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

Omi-Polari posted:

As a dumb American can someone explain what's the deal with Austria. Is it just more nativist and right-wing? And it was unaligned in the Cold War? It is a strange place.

http://youtu.be/3r61EcyegBM

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

GaussianCopula posted:

I'm just glad that people on the left always wait until all the facts are known and don't judge prematurely. Oh wait.
If you're looking for a job, I could set up something in a cherry orchard.

quantum_squirrel
Aug 9, 2006

And because of the train wreck, Politischer Aschermittwoch is cancelled: http://www.br.de/nachrichten/aschermittwoch-csu-absage-100.html

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Every cloud has a silver lining.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
Has this really not been posted yet?

http://www.zeit.de/gesellschaft/zeitgeschehen/2016-02/wasungen-thueringen-erfurt-karneval-plage-balkan-express

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Heritage, not hate!

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

quote:

Der Präsident des Landesverbandes Thüringer Karnevalsvereine, Michael Danz, hält "die Grenze für ein bisschen überschritten". Er stört sich vor allem an dem Bild der Heuschreckenplage, die über den Balkan, die Fluchtroute der meisten Flüchtlinge, nach Deutschland kommt: "Wir werden uns das nun in aller Ruhe anschauen und mit der Zuggruppe sprechen, wie das gemeint ist."

Die auf meinem Kissen aufgedruckte Person ist in Wirklichkeit 500 Jahre alt und es ist nicht Pädophil sondern Ebebopiphil! (oder ähnlich)

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

RabbitWizard posted:

Die auf meinem Kissen aufgedruckte Person ist in Wirklichkeit 500 Jahre alt und es ist nicht Pädophil sondern Ebebopiphil! (oder ähnlich)

They could be doing meta humour like Charlie Hebdo. Considering they're Landeier from the Ostzone, that's not very likely though.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Of course they'd use the loving Tiger tank. "Oh no, we didn't mean anything by it. We just used the most iconic nazi tank because, uh... you know. Tradition."

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
The Zimmerit coating is a nice touch.

Oh, turns out Tiger #142 was historically in Tunisia.

Riso fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Feb 10, 2016

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Riso posted:

Oh, turns out Tiger #142 was historically in Tunisia.

:laffo:

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

http://m.spiegel.de/panorama/justiz/a-1076670.html

quote:

Drei Freizeitfaschos ohne feste Anbindung an die Neonaziszene? Drei Wutbürger mit Hass auf Flüchtlinge? Als "Wutbürger" bezeichnet sie zumindest Roman von Alvensleben, Pflichtverteidiger von Dennis L. Auf dem Flur vor Saal 127 sucht der Anwalt nach einer Erklärung, warum es so weit kommen konnte. Er meint die Hilflosigkeit, die Menschen überkommen kann, wenn Fremde in ihr Dorf ziehen, und "man nicht weiß, wie man damit umgehen will".

Lmao, just some harmless Wutbürger listening to Nordfront, getting blackout drunk, shouting about scheiss Neger and researching Molotov cocktails on the internet. Nothing to see here. Just concerned citizens, who felt helpless about some darkies moving into their village. They are not racist or right wing extremists and if some darky Germans from Africa had moved into that house they would have set their children's bedroom on fire just the same. Race realists. :allears:

Is there a name among lawyers for a defense like that? Kamikaze Verteidigung?

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

waitwhatno posted:

Lmao, just some harmless Wutbürger listening to Nordfront, getting blackout drunk, shouting about scheiss Neger and researching Molotov cocktails on the internet. Nothing to see here. Just concerned citizens, who felt helpless about some darkies moving into their village. They are not racist or right wing extremists and if some darky Germans from Africa had moved into that house they would have set their children's bedroom on fire just the same. Race realists. :allears:

Perhaps they looked overseas at the cases of "gay panic" defenses and figured they'd try for brown panic instead?

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

waitwhatno posted:

Ausländerpräsenznötigung.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Looks like the refugee crisis is solved ... George Clooney wants to talk to Merkel and support her.

http://www.spiegel.de/politik/deutschland/george-clooney-will-mit-merkel-ueber-fluechtlinge-reden-a-1076967.html

I guess you can pencil her in for a Nobel this year as well.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

a week later, interpol arrests merkel because they didn't use secure comms

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
--edit: Whoops, reading comprehension F-. Disregard.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Did you know that complementing someone on their language skills is actually a really cruel form of xenophobia?

Well, if you didn't you should read this article http://www.zeit.de/kultur/2015-12/german-language-problems-berlin-refugees-10nach8/komplettansicht

My highlight was this sentence

quote:

I can’t even imagine, given my set of privileges, what it must be like to arrive here as a refugee with no knowledge of German or English and try to navigate the bureaucracy.

making sure that no one can accuse this white person of not checking her privileges!

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

GaussianCopula posted:

Did you know that complementing someone on their language skills is actually a really cruel form of xenophobia?

Well, if you didn't you should read this article http://www.zeit.de/kultur/2015-12/german-language-problems-berlin-refugees-10nach8/komplettansicht

My highlight was this sentence

making sure that no one can accuse this white person of not checking her privileges!

Der Artikel ist sehr ke(c)k.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

GaussianCopula posted:

I don't know what's so hard to understand about the concept of underhanded comments and remarks. Speaking a language with an accent and other imperfections is not something people do by choice, and reminding people of it instead of replying to what they bring up is rude. "Cruel" is hyperbole in order to make her perfectly valid point look crazy.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

flavor posted:

I don't know what's so hard to understand about the concept of underhanded comments and remarks. Speaking a language with an accent and other imperfections is not something people do by choice, and reminding people of it instead of replying to what they bring up is rude. "Cruel" is hyperbole in order to make her perfectly valid point look crazy.

i don't know what any of the stuff in the article has to do with learning a language.

- when you ask for help in a shop, say "hallo" or "entschuldigung, wissen Sie wo ..."

- learn to take a compliment

- don't be friends with condescending assholes that talk dismissively about you in the third person, like you are not even there

i would say she has a pretty lovely attitude. but she is also kinda hot, so who am i to judge? :shittydog:

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe
http://www.wn.de/Muensterland/Kreis-Steinfurt/Westerkappeln/2271016-Youtube-Star-Julien-verurteilt-Volksverhetzung-statt-Videokunst

Youtube-Star Julien verurteilt - Volksverhetzung statt Videokunst

a few quotes:

quote:

„Vergasen sollte man die Mistviecher.“
Blogger „Julien“ über die Lokführer

quote:

„Es war witzig gemeint.“
„Julien“

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
Better than that, he offered to drive them to Auschwitz himself, while showing pictures of Holocaust victims.

He is a real joker, that one.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Gibt es da Urteilsgründe von?

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe

Randler posted:

Gibt es da Urteilsgründe von?

Die Verhandlung war Mittwoch. Ich glaube kaum, dass das Urteil schon abgesetzt ist.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

elwood posted:

Die Verhandlung war Mittwoch. Ich glaube kaum, dass das Urteil schon abgesetzt ist.

Typisch öffentlicher Dienst. :colbert:

Ich hoffe mal - wahrscheinlich wider aller Vernunft - , dass da nicht auf Urteilsgründe verzichtet wird. Denn vom Zeitungsartikel her halte ich das für eine schwer nachvollziehbare Entscheidung, selbst nach den laxen Maßstäben, die an die Volksverhetzung angelegt werden.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Do. 04.02. Antifa-Café: Sonderwirtschaftszone JVA
http://kafemarat.blogsport.de/2016/02/01/do-04-02-antifa-cafe-sonderwirtschaftszone-jva/

quote:

Die seit dem Mai 2014 existierende Gefangenen-Gewerkschaft/Bundesweite Organisation (GG/BO) hat die soziale Frage hinter Gittern aufgeworfen: kein Mindestlohn, keine Rentenversicherung, keine Entgeltfortzahlung im Krankheitsfall, kein Kündigungsschutz für inhaftierte Beschäftigte – und ein minimales Taschengeld für aktuell beschäftigungslose Gefangene. Diese vor-wilhelminischen Beschäftigungsverhältnisse, die in bundesdeutschen Haftanstalten überwiegend unter dem Diktat des Arbeitszwangs stattfinden, bilden ein speziellen Segment des Niedriglohnsektors. Diese entgarantierte Billilöhnerei hinter Gittern, Inhaftierte verdienen durchschnittlich € 1,50 pro Arbeitsstunde, ist zu skandalisieren, denn es ist aus Gewerkschaftssicht völlig unerheblich, ob prekäre Arbeitssituationen vor oder hinter den Knastmauern bestehen – sie gehören abgeschafft.

Diese „Sonderwirtschaftszone Knast“ nutzen faktisch alle Landesbehörden und diverse externe Unternehmen, um die menschliche Arbeitskraft in den JVA-Betriebe sozialabgabenfrei abzuschöpfen. Die Knastarbeit wurde in den vergangenen Jahrzehnten mehr und mehr betriebswirtschaftlich als verlängerte Werkbank konzeptioniert. Es wird offen damit geworben, dass über die Knastarbeit Ressourcen
und Kosten eingespart sowie Auftragsspitzen schnell und zügig abgearbeitet werden können. Firmen von außerhalb stünde zudem ein hochmotiviertes, knapp oberhalb der Gratismarke arbeitendes Arbeitskräftepotential jederzeit zur Verfügung usw. usf.
Mit der Gründung der GG/BO konnte die sprichwörtlich unter Verschluss gehaltene Arbeitswelt hinter Gittern in das Licht der interessierten Öffentlichkeit gezogen werden. Die Bedingungen der Knastarbeit sind hierzulande zu einem virulente Thema geworden – und die Zeiten, in denen Haftanstalten seitens der Gefangenen eine gewerkschaftsfreie Zone waren, sind vorbei – immerhin.

Auf der Veranstaltung werden GG/BO-Kollegen aus Berlin über die Entstehung und Entwicklung der basisnahen Gewerkschaftsinitiative, die authentisch aus dem Knast heraus erfolgte, berichten. Des Weiteren sollen die Probleme diskutiert werden, die mit dem rasanten GG/BO-Wachstum zusammenfallen, denn oft steht die GG/BO aufgrund personeller und organisatorischer Engpässe am Rande des Kollaps.
Die GG/BO wird im begonnenen neuen Jahr mehr denn je darauf angewiesen sein, dass weitere Unterstützer_innenkreise von Aktivist_innen aus (Basis-)Gewerkschaften, Menschenrechtsorganisationen, Anwält_innenvereinigungen und nicht zuletzt politischen Zusammenhängen entstehen, damit die GG/BO ihre beiden Standbeine drinnen und draußen stärken kann…

Die haben gutes und vor allem billiges Bier. Musik ist auch immer gut.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

waitwhatno posted:

i don't know what any of the stuff in the article has to do with learning a language.

Talking about a language being difficult to learn and how she's never going to perfect at it as well as that she has an accent is "stuff" that has got nothing to do with learning a language, sure.

waitwhatno posted:

- when you ask for help in a shop, say "hallo" or "entschuldigung, wissen Sie wo ..."

A description of going to store and asking "do you have XYZ?" in an article isn't necessarily a notarized transcript. In any event, even if she had said it exactly like that, it wouldn't have been impolite enough to justify the guy faking not understanding her question.

waitwhatno posted:

- learn to take a compliment

Learn to make a compliment that doesn't remind people of their shortcomings.

waitwhatno posted:

- don't be friends with condescending assholes that talk dismissively about you in the third person, like you are not even there

Yeah... vet your friends using a year-long process that guarantees that none of them will ever disappoint you.

waitwhatno posted:

i would say she has a pretty lovely attitude. but she is also kinda hot, so who am i to judge? :shittydog:

In your case I don't even know if you're hot...

The whole "attitude" I'm seeing is of speaking up about one's experiences.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
Ich wollte das eigentlich schon gestern beigetragen haben, aber anscheinend haben sich die Ereignisse im letzten Lügenpresse-Fall schon wieder rasant weiterentwickelt.

Artikel m.w.N.

2016 ist ein gutes Jahr für Journalistenhasser. Erst der ÖR-Typ, der offen zugab, dass man in den Anstalten bewusst regierungsnah berichtet und jetzt das hier. :allears: