Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ChlamydiaJones
Sep 27, 2002

My Estonian riding instructor told me; "Mine munni ahvi türa imeja", and I live by that every day!
Ramrod XTreme
That SovCit judge Douchette has some AMAZING friends on FB;

quote:

Susan Walker
Bruce Doucette..u are friend forever.god bless.

go to fifteen min.of fame .my site.when they take down one page make another.

we can't make it in towns.two thousand eight.took our homes.now the land..

James n.walker murdered what they called standoff.no charges.justice dept.is a bunch of no nothing .no account.s.Wyatt Angelo county attorney Montrose .Colo threaten us self defense law.just like lavoy finicum.shot killed by delta county sheriff's officers. for what.?.CBI equal FBI.Steve Vaughn threaten to shoot me.he had not talked to me did not know me.threaten shoot me caused they murdered my brother.help me bring charges on them.Fred McKee sheriff Ryan byers Colo hyway paterol.be careful .he is out driving on Colo hyways with twelve gage shot gun.tom Harris.neverous break down I'm told.he knew he violated James n.walker s civil rights .no arrest no court eight amendment four the amendment second amendment and all started first amendment.he asked for the press.Dave Duncan posed as news reporter.he was cop .detective to be exact delta county sheriff office.Alan sittion who works for them delta county sheriff s officers.he already was caught in a perjury charge.Wyatt Angelo knew this.my family like lavoy.listen to hank Jr.George Jones .johmney cash.kitty wells.hank sr..just to name a few.gospel.Christians bible believing Christians.john Wesley.Charles welsely.my dad ted r.strong strong construction built the roads in Utah.ran DC 9 cat.r u listening america.real heart land folks.don't let them get away with ..release the Hammond's.write a new law.if u want to.real ease bundys.Pete santilki.has nothing to do with this.our people are fed up.they have go do something so drastic.to get the American people attention.wtf.get Colo get murdered charges on this FBI agent..or who ever he is.charges on the cops that murdered my brother.he shot no one either..god help us..today .and the people said amen.

write amen.write lawmakers.no crushing no threats.crushing.give them nothing to silence us with.amen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"
I'm going to write to my senator. The letter will simply say "No crushing."

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Obdicut posted:

Depending on the office you might get a reply regarding your senators efforts to quash internet videos where women step on small animals sexily.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Depending on the office you might get a reply regarding your senators efforts to quash internet videos where women step on small animals sexily.

Or a sext.

Pixelboy
Sep 13, 2005

Now, I know what you're thinking...

Obdicut posted:

"...amen."

Perfectly Safe
May 30, 2003

no danger here.
So, looks like ACLU Oregon has come down on the side of Pete Santilli:

http://www.opb.org/news/series/burns-oregon-standoff-bundy-militia-news-updates/aclu-oregon-pete-santilli-malheur-refuge-occupier-defense/

The ACLU's statement is here.

Can't say that I agree with them here - even if it were just a case of cheerleading (and I don't think that it is), Santilli was a full-on propagandist for the occupiers. The fact that journalists are somewhat protected ought to mean that people who are just pretending should be dealt with firmly.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

ChlamydiaJones posted:

That SovCit judge Douchette has some AMAZING friends on FB;

Is this a transcription of a telegram?

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Perfectly Safe posted:

Can't say that I agree with them here - even if it were just a case of cheerleading (and I don't think that it is), Santilli was a full-on propagandist for the occupiers. The fact that journalists are somewhat protected ought to mean that people who are just pretending should be dealt with firmly.

The most important thing, from my reading, is that he constantly threatened to shoot agents who would show up to his home - which they might, if he decided to pull a David Fry and bunker up when it came time for him to see trial - with his guns, which they found he had, illegally, at his home.

It's not about him being an rear end in a top hat, it's about him being a risk. The ACLU should fight for his innocence of the charges, not for his monitored release before trial. It's a better argument.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
"Support the people who are standing up!" - seated militant in 2/9/16 - Sean & Sandy speak

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Perfectly Safe posted:

So, looks like ACLU Oregon has come down on the side of Pete Santilli:

http://www.opb.org/news/series/burns-oregon-standoff-bundy-militia-news-updates/aclu-oregon-pete-santilli-malheur-refuge-occupier-defense/

The ACLU's statement is here.

It's a really bad argument, given his material involvement. Heck, in their own (massively selective, as is ACLU's style) article:

quote:

And when he urged others to join the protest he regularly told them to come unarmed.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Feb 10, 2016

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May
Wtf is wrong with the aclu of Oregon?

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Kro-Bar posted:

Nothing's wrong, it's a statement they probably should make regardless of the situation. Their principals don't involve nuance. And that's ultimately a good thing.

Notice how they don't go around taking over buildings, they just make press releases and arguments in courts? They do it the right way.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Kro-Bar posted:

I think they are right in their argument, it just doesn't apply to Santilli.

If was just some shock jock saying outrageous things while covering the stand off they would have a good point. But he's not.

eighty-four merc
Dec 22, 2010

In 2020, we're going to make the end of Fight Club real.
Yeah let's not forget Santilli literally livestreamed himself participating in a kidnapping.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

ACLU is just playing the long con. They're viewed as a turbo liberal Obama arm of the federal government so them coming in on the side of stinky Pete just means that he's going to get abandoned even harder than he already is by the movement

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

I think it's good that the ACLU is going to defend Santilli because free speech. It means he will get a good defense, and also he will probably still lose. The FBI will make the strongest case possible and win really good against the best defense he could get.

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Im glad the ACLU will defend people that most others won't even if I think some of the people they defend are terrible, id rather live in a world where they exist than a world without an organization like them.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

many johnnys posted:

I think it's good that the ACLU is going to defend Santilli because free speech. It means he will get a good defense, and also he will probably still lose. The FBI will make the strongest case possible and win really good against the best defense he could get.

The upside is Justice will probably be served in this case by not allowing weakness on either side.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
The ACLU is wrong as hell, but they're erring in the right direction.

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

RuanGacho posted:

The upside is Justice will probably be served in this case by not allowing weakness on either side.

Yeah, from what I understand of the FBI's win ratio, Santilli's odds don't look good no matter who defends him.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Kazak_Hstan posted:

The ACLU is wrong as hell, but they're erring in the right direction.

And in all honesty that's the ACLU's job.

I would much rather they try to win these cases when it's pretty obvious that they'll loose so that (a) precedence gets set to further journalist guidelines in future cases (which needs to happen with how that industry is going these days) and (b) they're not waiting around to try and win when it's obvious the government is actually in the wrong because it would be bad if they ended up loosing for pretty much everyone.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
The ACLU has represented NAMBLA before, and i'm not talking about the Marlon Brando lookalikes.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Jumpingmanjim posted:

The ACLU has represented NAMBLA before, and i'm not talking about the Marlon Brando lookalikes.

i find that more sad and hosed up then representing some rightie loon like Santilli

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i find that more sad and hosed up then representing some rightie loon like Santilli

Strangely enough that case was the one that made anything on the internet just as protected by the first amendment as if it were written in any other form of media, especially when it comes to sexuality.

I guess in a way, every time we post :goatsecx: we're actually supporting NAMBLA.

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

A Winner is Jew posted:

I guess in a way, every time we post :goatsecx: we're actually supporting NAMBLA.

The Manboy-Goatse Love Association :v:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

chitoryu12 posted:

Edit: The reason he dropped his hands, put them up, then dropped them again was probably just simple uneasiness. It takes a lot of balls (or REALLY severe mental deficiency) to just blindly start drawing a gun when you've got two cops aiming at your face. I think he was just nervous and reconsidered for a second before trying to go along with it.

Plus I'm guessing that in all of his murder fantasies, the police were standing right beside each other and directly in front of him rather than having one directly behind him.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Gorilla Salad posted:

Plus I'm guessing that in all of his murder fantasies, the police were standing right beside each other and directly in front of him rather than having one directly behind him.

Yeah those are the other fantasies he had

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Gorilla Salad posted:

Oh, so you read his book?

(yep, that's the exact scenario the grizzled Rancher faces before gunning them all down before their smokewagons could clear leather)

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

The ACLU is crazy and often wrong.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Ogmius815 posted:

The ACLU is crazy and often wrong.

Half the point of Justice is that it is extended even to people who don't deserve it.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Voyager I posted:

Half the point of Justice is that it is extended even to people who don't deserve it.

Sure, but the ACLU conception of justice is fetishistic and weird.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/MalheurDiary

quote:

"I’ll get some wood, Feck," I say. "You look all comfy." "Dude. Don't," says Nash stretching his beard taught to glare at me #Oregonstandoff

The fire’s going out in the burn barrel, which sits under a large hole hacked into the office ceiling. #Oregonstandoff #MalheurOccupation

I don’t know how long this standoff has been going on. Days, maybe, judging from the amount of sewage in Nash’s bucket. #Oregonstandoff

Feck’s cold blue eyes are fixed on the smoldering burn barrel in the center of the office. Nash and Bryan watch him closely. #Oregonstandoff

Now Feck, sitting in his spot by the paper shredder, staring blankly, has a much more realistic-looking piece in his holster #Oregonstandoff

We could hear the snap, snap of Feck shooting while in the bathroom and would find the little chartreuse beads in the toilet paper rolls.

Everyone always had carried guns except Feck and me. Ammon only allowed him airsoft pistols. #Oregonstandoff #MalheurOccupation

Nash has shifted the copier around so he can keep an eye on Feck. He glances at me and then back at Feck’s midsection. #Oregonstandoff

Nash is sitting pantsless atop a bucket of his own waste, shotgun on his lap, his beard stuck in the copier’s manual feed. #Oregonstandoff

Shaking off the cobwebs, I realize something’s up. Bryan’s in the chair to which he’s handcuffed, gun in the other hand. Back to the wall.

And the third, one of Ammon’s cowboys who refused to leave—the mostly-silent, creepy fucker they call “Feck.” #Oregonstandoff

One paramilitary named Bryan is handcuffed to an office chair. It happened during a private “meeting”, apparently. #Oregonstandoff

The nastiest of the mountain men, Nash, has his beard stuck in the copy machine. He refused cut it to save himself. He’s still stuck.

Rough few weeks. I emerge from a stupor brought on by hazelnut creamer poisoning to find everyone gone except for me and three others.

Ok. After some nudging, I'm back in character with the rest of the #Oregonstandoff #MalheurOccupation story.

kartikeya
Mar 17, 2009

A reminder that the ACLU once represented the KKK's right to march as well. They don't pick cases based on whether the individual(s) involved are horrible human beings or not, that's why they're so important. The ACLU taking this case on and losing will hopefully set precedent and guidelines for just where the line is that Pete Santilli gleefully danced across.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Also reminder: the ACLU defended Limbaugh when his drug addled self got caught with a massive supply of oxycontin.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Ogmius815 posted:

You're in complete agreement with these reactionaries.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Ogmius815 posted:

I am really curious what this means.

Beowulfs_Ghost
Nov 6, 2009

kartikeya posted:

The ACLU taking this case on and losing will hopefully set precedent and guidelines for just where the line is that Pete Santilli gleefully danced across.

My guess is that line was right after the Bundys got arrested, and he's on camera calling the the rest of the people at the refuge and giving them advice on who to put in charge and what to do.

His defence of just being an embedded reporter who happens to agree whole heartedly only lasts until he's actually trying to tell the militia how to conduct itself.

Was there an earlier incident where he was clearly giving the leadership advice?

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

OAquinas posted:

Oh, so you read his book?

(yep, that's the exact scenario the grizzled Rancher faces before gunning them all down before their smokewagons could clear leather)

Just another nail in the coffin for Tarpman's defenders, I guess.

As for the ACLU defending Santilli, I agree in principle and admit that he's far from the worst human scum they've defended, but it still seems strange to defend someone who was so blatantly trying to hide behind the label of "reporter " while being no different than the other loonies.

Geostomp fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Feb 10, 2016

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Honestly anything that destroys the Sov Cit's belief in magic words is cool to me. Whether it be thinking that if you say "peaceful" enough times that the law will ignore that you're all open carrying and talking about shooting government officials, thinking that if you shout "I do not consent" enough times that you'll be allowed to commit crimes, that "traveling" makes you immune to the laws of the road or in this case "reporter" means that you can be absolved of all active crimes you're involved in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

The ACLU isn't wrong because Santili is a scumbag, defending the constitutional rights of "undesirables" is important and admirable.

The ACLU is wrong because his case has no merit and involves them pushing a really hosed up interpretation of the first amendment.

• Locked thread