Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flaskraven
Nov 20, 2012

I hope you get crushed to death by a fat guy trying to commit suicide by falling out of a window and when the paramedics answer the local bystander asking if you'll live, he just says "fat chance" and laughs.

The Ape of Naples posted:

Music Theater with Gino and ALW, etc.

Speaking of characters. Gino has been on for quite some time now and Gabrus has never done any other character. He's my favorite character though, some characters are just great despite being on a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

I haven't listened to this one yet but in general I've gotten tired of Zouks forcing Daly's improv in a specific direction and his go-to "repeat something crazy the character said with incredulity"

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

I really want a series of side podcasts. Nothing too involved just one and done episodes of Talkin' 'Tang, Music Theater with Gino and ALW, etc. I'm sure I'm forgetting some. Maybe not.

It would be awesome if b-b-b-bonus episodes took the form of the side podcasts. That'd feel really fresh, and wouldn't have to become a "thing" like UTU22M - which is amazing, but clearly ran Scott ragged. Or that has the potential of blowing up into guests bringing up side podcast ideas constantly.

Though I guess most of the time bonus eps are just emergency "we're being paid to help someone promote a movie coming out this Friday" kind of thing these days.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

Flaskraven posted:

Speaking of characters. Gino has been on for quite some time now and Gabrus has never done any other character. He's my favorite character though, some characters are just great despite being on a lot.

I think it helps that Gino doesn't have an absolutely insane backstory or character arc, and most of his crazy stories are about Gino's family, not himself

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
I'm tired of the Scott/zouk/daily dynamic they do the same thing every time. I still like them all though.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Puppy Galaxy posted:

I haven't listened to this one yet but in general I've gotten tired of Zouks forcing Daly's improv in a specific direction and his go-to "repeat something crazy the character said with incredulity"

It doesn't bother me but I guess I can understand that. To be fair, this last ep was kinda bland with Hot Dog (and I like Hot Dog). I probably could have used some craziness.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
Like I don't really like Nick kroll that much, personally, but the mailer daemon ep was really good because it made Scott and Jason do different stuff.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

There's a Gino-hosted episode of with special guest which is decent imo

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
I think the thing with Jason being on, and always invariably being the "main" guest, is that they enter the character segment already having this huge callback feedback loop that basically drowns out the character and sort of warps the initial premise in a weird way. That, and both of their weird obsession with character detail means we get a 5 minute long breakdown of the intricacies of selling sunglasses made to look like year numbers. Jason basically addresses that it's become boring after a point, but Scott just needs to know these things for some reason.

I like the idea of Scott and Jason basically having their own UTU2TM style show where they ostensibly talk about a specific subject, but basically just bullshit about nothing for two hours.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
I think Hot Dog is cool

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

SpacePig posted:

I think the thing with Jason being on, and always invariably being the "main" guest, is that they enter the character segment already having this huge callback feedback loop that basically drowns out the character and sort of warps the initial premise in a weird way. That, and both of their weird obsession with character detail means we get a 5 minute long breakdown of the intricacies of selling sunglasses made to look like year numbers. Jason basically addresses that it's become boring after a point, but Scott just needs to know these things for some reason.

I like the idea of Scott and Jason basically having their own UTU2TM style show where they ostensibly talk about a specific subject, but basically just bullshit about nothing for two hours.

The thing is bit this guys have with Daly is trying to paint him into a corner and put him on the spot. Like asking him to come up with limericks right there and then. Part of the reason things get crazy (for right or wrong) is the game they play with Daly. They just fire back whatever they can to try to get him off track.

manyak posted:

I think Hot Dog is cool

I do too. His Podcast Pilot was great.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:
Hot dog go to bathroom

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

Scott talked about this on a best of - Jason really likes attacking/provoking Andy Daly's characters, seizing on the more sinister details and pushing them to be crazier until they turn out to be suicidal murderers, Scott says he's just going along with it

Phoon fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Feb 9, 2016

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

It's funny the first couple of times but then you've got like 6 characters that all worship satan/are murderers for some reason

I love Andy Daly but it'd be nice if they could stop pushing him in that direction every time

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Help Im Alive posted:

It's funny the first couple of times but then you've got like 6 characters that all worship satan/are murderers for some reason

I love Andy Daly but it'd be nice if they could stop pushing him in that direction every time

Especially since Episode 300 seemed to be a pretty definitive conclusion to all of that. That was a pretty big drat bow on the whole "They all know each other and hang out in International Waters" thing.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
Yeah, I don't think any of Daly's characters really started out the way they are, but almost literally all of them were pushed into this weird satanic storyline by Jason. I kinda hope Daly pulls a PFT and basically retires that line of characters, as much as I love all of them, or just sort of erases the apparent canon of the cult somehow.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
I would also accept Daly just flouting improv rules and shutting down attempts at that direction in the future. "No, But" anything related to murder cults.

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

The thing is bit this guys have with Daly is trying to paint him into a corner and put him on the spot. Like asking him to come up with limericks right there and then. Part of the reason things get crazy (for right or wrong) is the game they play with Daly. They just fire back whatever they can to try to get him off track.

thats fine, i like when they force him to make limericks or bongo songs or dimelo plays or whatever and be creative, but just making him evil everytime feels like the least creative way to get him off track

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
I guess i just stop paying attention by the end most of the time, since i mostly just like Dalys characters because of their premises (a high school teacher who has bongos, a water skiing hot dog) and the first like 20 minutes of improv

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Help Im Alive posted:

yeah that's exactly my issue. I like Manzoukas in general but Daly is so good at teasing out details himself, he really doesn't need someone else to force him in that direction.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
The best part of the ADPPP is that he was the one that was in control of his characters. Having to sort of bend to the whims of the host, and having that host and his cohost trying to steer you in a direction you may not have intended, really stifles a character sometimes. Even PFT has pulled out a "No, but" before, I think Daly should use it a bit more readily.

Also, having someone improv a bongo song or a limerick when they're a bongo player or limerick writer is one thing. Having someone admit they're part of a satanic cult run by Cactus Tony or whatever, and basically forcing all of the characters into an over-arching canon is not something one would necessarily be expected to do. It was funny for awhile, but I think it need to end.

Also, I haven't finished this episode yet because I ran out of time on my lunch, but Scott and Jason were already taking over the segment pretty much completely before he even got to the part about the sunglasses. Just let the guy do his thing.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The only thing anyone needs to bring up when Andy Daly is guesting is international waters. Let him do the rest himself. Him getting a giggle whenever that subject is brought up is always wonderful.

I'm also having a brain freeze with regards to the hot dog ADPPP episode, so I'm going to have to look that up. I need to relisten to it soon anyway. It's a ****** podcast, if that didn't break the reviewing guidelines.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

JethroMcB posted:

I would also accept Daly just flouting improv rules and shutting down attempts at that direction in the future. "No, But" anything related to murder cults.

Weingert on #366 did this masterfully. "No, I misspoke. "
"You're getting a bit silly."

Then it turns out his name is Frank Frank and his mother is Lisa Frank.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

That ep was really funny for Scott trying to derail nonstop and Joe hanging on and shutting him down to get to his character - he's the son of Lisa Frank - and Scott doesn't know who Lisa Frank is.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

That episode a while back with Paul Brittain/Jimmy Pardo is also good for that

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Work Friend Keven posted:

Scott doesn't know who Lisa Frank is.

As a non-American, the name sounds familiar but not in a way I could pinpoint so I checked Wiki.

The companies Twitter account managed to get itself suspended, and the website is a holding page. Lisa needs to get her poo poo together.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

JethroMcB posted:

He did do that this time, they kept leading him down the suicide path and he kept "No But"-ing them.

I love Andy Daly and I love where Jason leads his characters, it's always funny to me. I'm sure it will get boring at some point, but so far Andy is still one of my favorite guests, in large part because of the crazy satanist/murder/suicide stuff.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe
I feel like just in case anybody is curious about that murderer that Andy Daly never got to riff on, well, I guess he's real.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

SpacePig posted:

Also, having someone improv a bongo song or a limerick when they're a bongo player or limerick writer is one thing.

Zouks and Scott pimped limerick writer onto Patrick McMahon. He started out as a storyteller who happened to be from Limerick.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Poopy Palpy posted:

Zouks and Scott pimped limerick writer onto Patrick McMahon. He started out as a storyteller who happened to be from Limerick.

The more I think about it the more I enjoy the concept of Scott and Jason essentially bullying Daly's character's backstory. No knock on Andy but if he didn't really want to go down certain paths he could try to move it in another direction.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

i feel it's important for me to chime in and say that i also have no idea who lisa frank is

Kings Of Calabria
Sep 10, 2013

cams posted:

i feel it's important for me to chime in and say that i also have no idea who lisa frank is

Are you American?

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

cams posted:

I think all the girls were into Lisa Frank stuff in like fourth grade? Its like a brand of sparkly stickers and folders and school supplies I think?

cams
Mar 28, 2003

yes i am american and i googled it and recognized the style. for a hundred million dollars i could not have pulled that name or known that style of thing was under the same brand.

ImPureAwesome posted:

I think all the girls were into Lisa Frank stuff in like fourth grade? Its like a brand of sparkly stickers and folders and school supplies I think?
that general point in time of "fourth grade" that we all share, yes.

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

cams posted:

that general point in time of "fourth grade" that we all share, yes.

Oh right. Like late 90s

Gejimayu
Mar 4, 2005
spaz
Been listening to a lot of clips lately, and I'm ready to make the plunge with this podcast. Sadly, I don't have hundreds of hours to plow through the show so I'm wondering where I should start. Are there quintessential episodes that I need to listen to or should I just go back a number or episodes or what?

Edit: I did read the OP, but from reading the last ten pages or so I feel like missing a ton of references that sound very awesome.

Gejimayu fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Feb 10, 2016

Kings Of Calabria
Sep 10, 2013

Gejimayu posted:

Been listening to a lot of clips lately, and I'm ready to make the plunge with this podcast. Sadly, I don't have hundreds of hours to plow through the show so I'm wondering where I should start. Are there quintessential episodes that I need to listen to or should I just go back a number or episodes or what?

Edit: I did read the OP, but from reading the last ten pages or so I feel like missing a ton of references that sound very awesome.

Get Overcast or another podcast app then crank that poo poo to 1.75x, and pick a few episodes based on how you feel about those particular comedians. The insider stuff is more fun than distracting, and you won't be over your head jumping in at episode 3xx. Like anything else ever published there are some purists that won't accept any change but that's rare enough.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Every year they do a rundown of the best episodes, and the clips they use are long enough to get a sense of the episode. They're probably a sweet way to get into the show. You could even just use the lists and listen to those episodes in their entirety.

Also look up the CBB wikia, it's pretty useful. If you find yourself drawn to certain characters, a lot of them have storylines of sort so you can listen to those episodes (ie every Marissa Wompler episode, who is always gold).

It might be overwhelming enough already, but I'd also recommend listening to The Andy Daly Podcast Pilot Program (I think I've got that in the right order, it's on Earwolf too, so easy to find) as 1. It's only like 8 episodes long, 2. Every episode is amazing and 3. The characters are the ones he's used on CBB but the shows are perfect introductions to them.

About a year or two ago my friend actually did go back to the beginning and listened to every single episode. I still don't know how he did it, but that's commitment.

Besson
Apr 20, 2006

To the sun's savage brightness he exposed the dark and secret surface of his retinas, so that by burning the memory of vengeance might be preserved, and never perish.
End of year podcasts are the ones to start with

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I don't think you need to worry about continuity. There's a lot of it, but it's always introduced by Scott because he's reminding everyone else in the room, as nobody else cares.

Besson posted:

End of year podcasts are the ones to start with

Despite Paul repeatedly ridiculing you or doubting your existence.

Kings Of Calabria posted:

Get Overcast or another podcast app then crank that poo poo to 1.75x, and pick a few episodes based on how you feel about those particular comedians. The insider stuff is more fun than distracting, and you won't be over your head jumping in at episode 3xx. Like anything else ever published there are some purists that won't accept any change but that's rare enough.

You don't really listen to shows at double speed do you?