Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Supraluminal posted:

It's 60 tons.

Worse than I remember. Ugh.

Nothing like a slightly (slightly) more armored medium with the movement profile of a heavy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.
What are the marks against it? It'll have 20 points less armor than the Jagermech, but otherwise they both go almost the same speed with the same tonnage free when using their maximum engine size. It'll also go faster with the minimum viable engine size of 250. I assume the lighter weight means slightly improved responsiveness when moving, and the model looks great- all of the weapons are high and close together, and the torso seems much smaller.

If the Rifleman has those long arms even without weapons in them, I assume it could also do well by putting large (pulse) lasers in the side torsos and using the arms as extended shields after firing.

Sard fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Feb 10, 2016

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

For faction play, is there any way to say "queue me up for whatever is fastest" because I either stare at the screen waiting for an alert or I look at these different attack/defense ratios on maps and wonder what they mean.

E: what does it mean when every slot is full of pilots but it says "transferring pilot and mechs" and the timer is counting up and not down? Ten minutes and counting of this and then what? Did a problem happen?

E2: Why is the friends list icon always, always flashing? I don't have any messages. I don't have any invites. There's literally nothing here. WHy is it always flashing "look at me! poo poo is happening! Look over here!"

Krinkle fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Feb 10, 2016

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Sard posted:

What are the marks against it? It'll have 20 points less armor than the Jagermech, but otherwise they both go almost the same speed with the same tonnage free when using their maximum engine size. It'll also go faster with the minimum viable engine size of 250. I assume the lighter weight means slightly improved responsiveness when moving, and the model looks great- all of the weapons are high and close together, and the torso seems much smaller.

If the Rifleman has those long arms even without weapons in them, I assume it could also do well by putting large (pulse) lasers in the side torsos and using the arms as extended shields after firing.

The reduced armor for a heavy is a Big Deal because heavies by definition aren't good pokey mechs since they're a lot slower than mediums/lights and need to use their armor to soak damage during a fight. Also reduced weapon tonnage limits your options more.

Incidentally heavies in general share the same movement profile, they only get faster or more responsive if you slap in a bigger engine. That was why the grasshopper was so spectacularly awful when it first came out - it had the assault movement profile instead of heavy and was even more sluggish.

Of course quirks could change everything and make the Rifleman amazing. But never rely too heavily on quirks because if the past year taught us anything it's that quirks change.

I don't want to be too negative so I'll give the Rifleman points for excellent hardpoint placement and a relatively thin torso (?). We'll see once the model is in game though.

Tim Pawlenty
Jun 3, 2006

Krinkle posted:

For faction play, is there any way to say "queue me up for whatever is fastest" because I either stare at the screen waiting for an alert or I look at these different attack/defense ratios on maps and wonder what they mean.

E: what does it mean when every slot is full of pilots but it says "transferring pilot and mechs" and the timer is counting up and not down? Ten minutes and counting of this and then what? Did a problem happen?

E2: Why is the friends list icon always, always flashing? I don't have any messages. I don't have any invites. There's literally nothing here. WHy is it always flashing "look at me! poo poo is happening! Look over here!"

I have no idea how often it's used right now but theoretically there should be a looking for group feature which would at least allow you to drop in a premade group instead of waiting to get tetris'd into a group forever before you even get a shot at a match.

Sputty
Mar 20, 2005

Sard posted:

5 tons means the difference between being able to effectively use ballistics or not. The rifleman will be probably have to be an energy boat and if it's an energy boat it'll need decent quirks to compete with existing mechs. Gauss and UAC/5 are both a bit too heavy for the 60 ton mechs.

The hitbox matters too and if it's not viable to use an XL it will be slow as gently caress or undergunned. If it has decent quirks and can run an XL then it'll be able to run triple LPL well. Max engine size is a bit small so it can't pull off the 3 LPL 95KPH of the quickdraw.

Sputty fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Feb 10, 2016

Pooncha
Feb 15, 2014

Making the impossible possumable

Krinkle posted:

If you're in a unit and you log in, it's flashing because of the unit's MotD or somesuch. It'd be nice if it only flashed if someone changed the MotD and remained dark otherwise.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

I just did a defense. It was on some pink treed forest world. Someone said "win by default?" I didn't understand and said "I hope we win" and five people all said "lol" and then I spawn in and the scouts all run to our gates and destroy them. They destroy alpha, beta, and gamma. Except they're enemy gates. We're defending, they destroyed our own gates, but they were their gates, and the gates were enemy gates and we won as soon as our own their gates went down. We all got 200,000 credits. I don't understand what happened.

Sputty
Mar 20, 2005

Krinkle posted:

I just did a defense. It was on some pink treed forest world. Someone said "win by default?" I didn't understand and said "I hope we win" and five people all said "lol" and then I spawn in and the scouts all run to our gates and destroy them. They destroy alpha, beta, and gamma. Except they're enemy gates. We're defending, they destroyed our own gates, but they were their gates, and the gates were enemy gates and we won as soon as our own their gates went down. We all got 200,000 credits. I don't understand what happened.

Ghost drop. You dropped with no opponents and got the win by default game where you have to run to an objective and waste time. You got a ghost drop on counterattack which means you're trying to take away a node that's already been successfully attacked.

You can't kill your own objectives. You can TK turrets, though. CW right now is probably really dead. Even during prime time it can be harder to find a match.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

Krinkle posted:

If you do defense, you can get a "counter attack" which puts you in the offense.
In the same vein, when attacking you can get a "Hold Territory" which makes you defend your base against the defender, who just got counter-attack on his own.

I think this happens if some sectors on a "blue" planet are already "red", and the defenders declare action against this sector the defense turns into offense (since that sector isnt currently yours and thus cannot be defended by you)

Edit: yeah and also ghost drop happens if no opposing team is formed. When defending, ghost drop has you kill 3 landing beacons. In attack or counter mode, its a base kill.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Community warfare is really more of a weekend / public holiday thing.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

DOMDOM posted:

you can put over 500dmg in any mech when its a roll stomp with no opposition

Entirely false. For you to get 500 in a pirates bane, it means your whole team died and you lived a magical fairy existence.

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
To prove that any mech can get 500 damage, I'm going to play some of the worst mechs. I'll get a Vindicator first because I literally never ever see them on the field.

I think in the 3-4 months I've been playing... I've seen one, once. There must be a reason and that reason must be because they suck.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"
I got like 600 damage in a 1 gauss 2 large laser orion, anyone can get high damage in bad robots.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
Is it may yet? I just want my stupid Kodiak.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Stringbean posted:

To prove that any mech can get 500 damage, I'm going to play some of the worst mechs. I'll get a Vindicator first because I literally never ever see them on the field.

I think in the 3-4 months I've been playing... I've seen one, once. There must be a reason and that reason must be because they suck.

I see you've become commoners' apprentice

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

Stringbean posted:

To prove that any mech can get 500 damage, I'm going to play some of the worst mechs.

This sounds like the premise of a mediocre Youtube series

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.

Kazvall posted:

Entirely false. For you to get 500 in a pirates bane, it means your whole team died and you lived a magical fairy existence.

It is perfectly reasonable to be able to get 500 damage in a PB in a normal game that isn't a face roll. You just have to pick your shots well and go after isolated or distracted heavy targets.

crowbb
Feb 25, 2013
Slippery Tilde

PoptartsNinja posted:

If you're playing the Steam version, hit F9 to get your exact coordinates and then F12 to get a screenshot. You can forward those on to PGI so they can (maybe) investigate.

It's what I did when I reported some weirdness I won't elaborate involving the way Marauders interact with Viridian Bog.

Does this usually happen on fences? In my experience, fences are the worst. If MWO had random 80-damage mines I'd rather walk on one of those than walk (or god-forbid jump) onto a fence.

Actually the last 2 times I can remember I was not on a fence. One time was in the middle of a plateau and I was entertaining myself by hopping across it with jump jets until I got rooted in place. The other time was on one of the city maps I had jumped down into a 4 way intersection and got stuck.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

crowbb posted:

Actually the last 2 times I can remember I was not on a fence. One time was in the middle of a plateau and I was entertaining myself by hopping across it with jump jets until I got rooted in place. The other time was on one of the city maps I had jumped down into a 4 way intersection and got stuck.

If you're dropping with friends, have your friend ram you until you unstick. It's worked for me on Crimson when i jump jetted onto a fence like an idiot.

A Curvy Goonette
Jul 3, 2007

"Anyone who enjoys MWO is a shitty player. You have to hate it in order to be pro like me."

I'm actually just very good at curb stomping randoms on a team. :ssh:

Stringbean posted:

Scared, idiot?

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
My last few matches I've got around 200 damage with the trial Stormcrow am I a bad

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

This is really fun

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

A Curvy Goonette posted:

Scared, idiot?

With 4 flamers you only need around 3 minutes of nonstop flamer usage to inflict 500 damage :v:

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Farecoal posted:

My last few matches I've got around 200 damage with the trial Stormcrow am I a bad

They're difficult to get used to. You feel like superman with all those guns, and you're just a medium. Once you start being as cautious as you should, you'll do like gangbusters.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

What sort of heat efficiency should I be aiming for? I've got 4 med lasers and a large on my stormcrow but I really want to shove some SRMs on there too.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

hemale in pain posted:

What sort of heat efficiency should I be aiming for? I've got 4 med lasers and a large pulse on my stormcrow but I really want to shove some SRMS on there too

that's pretty standard laservomit and can pump out a lot of damage.

I'd go one way or the other on a crow -- either all energy or almost all SRMs. you can do something like this for the Crow, from metamechs

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=183&l=1d9c0251e4085929bc6bace60fa09815a382ff36

or you can do spl plus SRMs

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=183&l=07d1608caa72b690c977d1462eef528e3d67d9bf

as for heat efficiency, anything between 1.3 to 1.5 is fine. certain builds can get away with 1.2 or so because of quirks or the way they tend to be played. if you're too much higher than 1.5 you could consider adding more weapons

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

hemale in pain posted:

What sort of heat efficiency should I be aiming for? I've got 4 med lasers and a large on my stormcrow but I really want to shove some SRMs on there too.

I roll around with 5x srm6 and just bukakke everything I see. Usually around 550 missiles is enough to last the whole match. Put a small pulse in the head for good measure.

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

veedubfreak posted:

I roll around with 5x srm6 and just bukakke everything I see. Usually around 550 missiles is enough to last the whole match. Put a small pulse in the head for good measure.

Pattonesque posted:

or you can do spl plus SRMs

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=183&l=07d1608caa72b690c977d1462eef528e3d67d9bf

as for heat efficiency, anything between 1.3 to 1.5 is fine. certain builds can get away with 1.2 or so because of quirks or the way they tend to be played. if you're too much higher than 1.5 you could consider adding more weapons

If you reverse it and trade out the other arm instead, you can arrange things like so: 5x cSmall Pulse 4x cSRM6A

It runs hotter, for sure, but an extra 2 small pulse (for a total of 4xcSRM6A + 5xcSPL) does consistently better for me than just 5xcSRM6A. It also has the benefit of being able to straight up one shot most mechs if you come up on them from behind; 78 damage to the rear CT will kill anything in a single volley except certain assaults with CT structure quirks, which is occasionally hilarious when you can do it to multiple mechs in a row before they catch on.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Olesh posted:

If you reverse it and trade out the other arm instead, you can arrange things like so: 5x cSmall Pulse 4x cSRM6A

It runs hotter, for sure, but an extra 2 small pulse (for a total of 4xcSRM6A + 5xcSPL) does consistently better for me than just 5xcSRM6A. It also has the benefit of being able to straight up one shot most mechs if you come up on them from behind; 78 damage to the rear CT will kill anything in a single volley except certain assaults with CT structure quirks, which is occasionally hilarious when you can do it to multiple mechs in a row before they catch on.

That looks like it might be hilarious but i'll be shutting down all day

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
Just had a CW game with 7 gargoyles on my team.
we won, cause they were premades.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Just had a CW game with 7 gargoyles on my team.
we won, cause they were premades.

everyone moving at the same speed and therefore engaging at the same time is a pretty powerful strategy, even if they all do use Mr. Gargles

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

hemale in pain posted:

That looks like it might be hilarious but i'll be shutting down all day

Press O to win fights, and pack a Cool Shot 9x9.

Your main weapons are the SRMs, and you can fire those basically forever until the cows come home - if you fire them on cooldown, your net heat generated will slowly go up. Since you can shoot all four without hitting ghost heat, you can torso twist freely in between shots using the stormcrow's hilariously good twist rate. So long as you aren't firing the SPLs at high heat, you won't go into dangerously high levels of overheat and you can back off the trigger when there's nothing immediately threatening you. In an emergency, you can pop your cool shot to give you an extra burst of SPL fire while giving you extra time with the missiles before going back into overheat territory, but it's usually not necessary unless you're in a protracted fight.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Olesh posted:

Press O to win fights, and pack a Cool Shot 9x9.

Your main weapons are the SRMs, and you can fire those basically forever until the cows come home - if you fire them on cooldown, your net heat generated will slowly go up. Since you can shoot all four without hitting ghost heat, you can torso twist freely in between shots using the stormcrow's hilariously good twist rate. So long as you aren't firing the SPLs at high heat, you won't go into dangerously high levels of overheat and you can back off the trigger when there's nothing immediately threatening you. In an emergency, you can pop your cool shot to give you an extra burst of SPL fire while giving you extra time with the missiles before going back into overheat territory, but it's usually not necessary unless you're in a protracted fight.

Might have to try that out. Right now I use 2 groups for the SRMs so that I don't get a heat penalty. Artemis or no? Currently not using it on the crow.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

veedubfreak posted:

Might have to try that out. Right now I use 2 groups for the SRMs so that I don't get a heat penalty. Artemis or no? Currently not using it on the crow.

always artemis if you can

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

veedubfreak posted:

Pattonesque posted:

always artemis if you can

Build for easy reference

Artemis is good. If you dropped artemis from the build and threw in more heatsinks and maybe an extra ton of ammo, you'd run cooler but the things you fight will live longer in my experience and you'll have less opportunity to take advantage of the better heat dissipation. You're basically trading worse missiles for the ability to throw in a few more SPL shots, which imho is not a good trade (yes, I know I suggested trading a launcher for 4 SPL, this isn't the same thing).

On the other hand, it might cater more to your playstyle so who knows? You've already got it kitted out without artemis, swap the one arm and give it a shot before you spend the money putting artemis on and buying new launchers.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

Stringbean posted:

GRF-3M comes with an XL engine installed, thus bumping its cbill cost up a bit. IIRC the basic build is 4x ASRM4, 2x MLas (you can probably fit MPLas instead). Keep an arm free, so you can twist. I sold it after I mastered it, but I kept my 2n which has about the same armament but with ECM

I wanted to get elite skills on a thing so I got the 2N griffin also. I put the 3m's particle cannon on it and ditched the rockets and flew up onto a building and was a huge useless piece of poo poo rattling the cockpits of people in the back. I did 140 damage all game. That's miserable. How do you play yours, same as the 3m build posted but with an ECM? All short range artemis missiles?

Is dual particle cannons a bad deal I mean I enjoyed getting those hits and it's got 40% more ppc speed so I don't know if there's a viable idea here. Maybe I want to shoot lightning bolts at jerks and then get overrun by scouts.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Drythe posted:

This is really fun

I don't think targeting computers work with lbx autocannons.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Olesh posted:

Build for easy reference

Artemis is good. If you dropped artemis from the build and threw in more heatsinks and maybe an extra ton of ammo, you'd run cooler but the things you fight will live longer in my experience and you'll have less opportunity to take advantage of the better heat dissipation. You're basically trading worse missiles for the ability to throw in a few more SPL shots, which imho is not a good trade (yes, I know I suggested trading a launcher for 4 SPL, this isn't the same thing).

On the other hand, it might cater more to your playstyle so who knows? You've already got it kitted out without artemis, swap the one arm and give it a shot before you spend the money putting artemis on and buying new launchers.

Tweaked a smidge, simply because I can protect my right side better than my left.
Cause, Why Not

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

Krinkle posted:

I wanted to get elite skills on a thing so I got the 2N griffin also. I put the 3m's particle cannon on it and ditched the rockets and flew up onto a building and was a huge useless piece of poo poo rattling the cockpits of people in the back. I did 140 damage all game. That's miserable. How do you play yours, same as the 3m build posted but with an ECM? All short range artemis missiles?

Is dual particle cannons a bad deal I mean I enjoyed getting those hits and it's got 40% more ppc speed so I don't know if there's a viable idea here. Maybe I want to shoot lightning bolts at jerks and then get overrun by scouts.
No, yes, yes, no you don't.

Metamechs

• Locked thread