Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bates
Jun 15, 2006

Skinty McEdger posted:

Honestly anything that destroys the Sov Cit's belief in magic words is cool to me. Whether it be thinking that if you say "peaceful" enough times that the law will ignore that you're all open carrying and talking about shooting government officials, thinking that if you shout "I do not consent" enough times that you'll be allowed to commit crimes, that "traveling" makes you immune to the laws of the road or in this case "reporter" means that you can be absolved of all active crimes you're involved in.

MacNab did a piece on it and the rabbit hole goes way deeper than that, I can't readily imagine what my reaction would be if an incoherent lunatic waddled into my office and dumped a stack of blood-smeared poorly capitalized legal documents on my desk. Even if the stamps were properly endorsed at a 45 degree angle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

ChlamydiaJones posted:

That SovCit judge Douchette has some AMAZING friends on FB;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HiSNkIaJi_U&t=3s

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

A "justice" fetish

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

many johnnys posted:

A "justice" fetish

I heard about a guy once who was a jurisprudence fetishist. He got off on a technicality.

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

I heard about a guy once who was a jurisprudence fetishist. He got off on a technicality.

Haha I'm gonna use that one

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Anosmoman posted:

MacNab did a piece on it and the rabbit hole goes way deeper than that, I can't readily imagine what my reaction would be if an incoherent lunatic waddled into my office and dumped a stack of blood-smeared poorly capitalized legal documents on my desk. Even if the stamps were properly endorsed at a 45 degree angle.

the language is so flowery, I half expect it to end with "Beware my power, green lantern's light!"

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Someone asked what happened to the one black dude:

http://www.oregonlive.com/oregon-standoff/2016/02/former_malheur_refuge_occupier.html#incart_big-photo

Stealing land with a stolen gun.

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

2019. New York is in ruins. The global economy is spiralling. Cyborgs rule over poisoned wastes.

The only time that's left is
FUN TIME

Jarmak posted:

The ACLU isn't wrong because Santili is a scumbag, defending the constitutional rights of "undesirables" is important and admirable.

The ACLU is wrong because his case has no merit and involves them pushing a really hosed up interpretation of the first amendment.

With the rise in untrained citizen journalism, it's important to have it written down in black and white exactly where the line between journalism and conspiracy is. Pete Santilli was on the refuge, yes, but so were other reporters. He believed the occupiers were in the right, as any journalist will about their subjects at some point in their career. He said as much on air, but you'd be hard pressed to find a reputable newspaper without and opinion section. He shared his ideas with the occupiers, which might be shoddy journalism but no-one said he had to be competent.

All this does not change the truth, that Santilli was in it up to his wrist with his other hand on his cock. With a charge as nebulous as conspiracy, however, it is very important to know when a set of arguably legal actions becomes a crime.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Anosmoman posted:

I am somewhat ashamed to understand most of that, but I do have some questions.
Is "The Continental uNited States of America" a typo or is there meaning to it? Same with "eStates"
What's with "the SEE (SEA)"?

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

Murderion posted:

With the rise in untrained citizen journalism, it's important to have it written down in black and white exactly where the line between journalism and conspiracy is. Pete Santilli was on the refuge, yes, but so were other reporters. He believed the occupiers were in the right, as any journalist will about their subjects at some point in their career. He said as much on air, but you'd be hard pressed to find a reputable newspaper without and opinion section. He shared his ideas with the occupiers, which might be shoddy journalism but no-one said he had to be competent.

All this does not change the truth, that Santilli was in it up to his wrist with his other hand on his cock. With a charge as nebulous as conspiracy, however, it is very important to know when a set of arguably legal actions becomes a crime.

Well yelling at counter-protesters and leading groups of people to confront the FBI and other law enforcement is active participation. Whether it counts as being part of the occupation of the refuge is a little hazy but at the very least he wasn't a passive observer.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Anosmoman posted:

Well yelling at counter-protesters and leading groups of people to confront the FBI and other law enforcement is active participation. Whether it counts as being part of the occupation of the refuge is a little hazy but at the very least he wasn't a passive observer.

I think the idea is that the ACLU going to bat with him will set precedent for what he did that was over the line, and what wasn't. Obviously, yelling at federal agents to shoot him was over the line. Also obviously, simply having conversations with those on the Bundy Ranch wasn't.

The question is what in the in-between spaces was a crime.

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
Santilli was also doing things like calling dispatch to ask for a Constitutional Sheriff to protect him while he "negotiated with" the FBI. I'm not sure how often journalists do that.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

theflyingorc posted:

I think the idea is that the ACLU going to bat with him will set precedent for what he did that was over the line, and what wasn't. Obviously, yelling at federal agents to shoot him was over the line. Also obviously, simply having conversations with those on the Bundy Ranch wasn't.

The question is what in the in-between spaces was a crime.

And the way to look at it is the ACLU isn't so much going to bat for him as they are for other journalists who might find themselves in the grey zones in the future.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
It's fine that the ACLU wants to get a standard set but they have to know that if they were to somehow win then the next militia incident would just have a lot more "reporters" taking part and using the defense that they're preparing for Pete. Though they might simply tell him "hey you hosed up and got caught up in the moment, so take a plea deal if you're smart."

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

:golfclap:

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
I look forward to the day a YouTube channel and GoPro immunize criminal conduct.

Gonna start a YouTube channel about corrupt banks and then go occupy a bank vault. Just citizen journalism here -HEY. No, just take the cash, we can't carry the gold, JUST THE CASH, put it in a loving BAG - this is an important event Im just here to cover it in ways the mainstream media won't. Btw, just because I'm wearing this ski mask you can not make any inferences whatsoever about whether I am a participant. It's just clothing, it has nothing to do with my conduct.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
The reason the aclu is involved is that they are afraid that the courts will establish some overly restrictive rule on citizen journalists. I'm not sure they care much about whether santelli is convicted, but working on his side is the only way they can contribute to the case in a meaningful way.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Beowulfs_Ghost posted:

My guess is that line was right after the Bundys got arrested, and he's on camera calling the the rest of the people at the refuge and giving them advice on who to put in charge and what to do.

His defence of just being an embedded reporter who happens to agree whole heartedly only lasts until he's actually trying to tell the militia how to conduct itself.

Was there an earlier incident where he was clearly giving the leadership advice?

Oh, I'm pretty sure it was long before that with his instigating, organizing, and taking part in multiple "displays" along with the whole kidnapping thing

There's a really big difference between, say, press landing on D-Day and filming the advance vs Santilli's actions which would be that press man dropping his camera and picking up a rifle

SocketWrench fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Feb 10, 2016

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Yeah, despite the fact that the Fox Newsites hate them, the ACLU is not a liberal organization. They're devoted to protecting the first amendment, no matter what side of the political spectrum they come from. That means that occasionally they're going to do something that you don't agree with, politically.

As far as I'm concerned, good. That's their job. The first amendment is probably the most important and most radically noble part of the constitution, and it should be given a very wide berth and defended vigorously. We need both dissent and ridicule to function as a free society, it's vital.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

TheMadMilkman posted:

I like that Utah lets me do a straight party vote on the election machine. It makes throwing my vote away in Davis County that much easier.
I could do this but I like punching every button/hole and putting some effort into throwing my vote away :patriot:

ChlamydiaJones
Sep 27, 2002

My Estonian riding instructor told me; "Mine munni ahvi türa imeja", and I live by that every day!
Ramrod XTreme
Here are some words from a III%er

quote:

John Carter

There has been a great deal of advocacy in the patriot community for pressing our State Legislatures to invoke the Convention Of States process in order to amend the Constitution to, hopefully, further provide safeguards to our Liberty and to reduce or prevent the increasing over-reach by the Federal government.

Unfortunately, most of those who are advocating for the COS process simply do not understand how the process works. Yes, it is possible to gain enough votes by the various States in order to invoke the process; however, once the process is begun, the entire Constitution is up for change. Every word of the Constitution may be changed, and -- given the present political climate -- our Liberties can (and probably will) be removed on a wholesale level.

I am afraid that people are also dangerously mislead about the usefulness or probability of success with the COS process. While our founding fathers put it into the Constitution for the purpose of allowing HONORABLE REPRESENTATIVES to change or "tweek" the Constitution, the one thing you have to remember is this:

For the most part -- THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS AN HONORABLE REPRESENTATIVE ANYMORE.

The corruption evident in our present governments -- both State and Federal -- are far too pervasive; there are too many special interests who are intent on furthering their own agendas, and most of those agendas are intent upon the further enslavement of the American people.

No, unfortunately, there is absolutely no good that can come out of the COS process at this point -- it is too late, and it is a foregone conclusion that such a process will only cost liberty-loving Americans what small amount of freedom they have left.

The only thing that is going to successful change governance in America is a full-on revolution -- the entire present government infrastructure MUST be completely removed, dismantled, and re-instituted from scratch in the form originally instituted by our founding fathers.

There is no other hope for Liberty -- anything short of a fully Constitutional government infrastructure is slavery, plain and simple.

thanks Fox News.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

SubponticatePoster posted:

I could do this but I like punching every button/hole and putting some effort into throwing my vote away :patriot:

Much better to write in candidates

Dickbutt for prez 2016

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Go back to Mars if you hate America so much John Carter.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Stultus Maximus posted:

Is "The Continental uNited States of America" a typo or is there meaning to it? Same with "eStates"

According to MacNab, it's intentional. Apparently since the Holy Constitution had United with a lowercase letter, the states are all independent nations that just happen to work together. Keeping the word capitalized that way lets them acknowledge this "fact".

I assume that the SEE refers to the admarality courts denoted by the gold fringe on flags and that eStates has to do with one of their banking conspiracy or something.

So it's all the crazy Sov Cit spells they could think of.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Also they believe that if they write certain words correctly then it means that they are engaging in a contract. So lots of words get mispelt on purpose or inappropriate capitalisation.

It's Sov Citz Magik.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

SocketWrench posted:

Much better to write in candidates

Dickbutt for prez 2016
Dickbutt for every office, every election! Since a lot of the election people are elderly/retired (as they're the only ones with enough time on their hands) I'm picturing an old lady going "Richard Butt? Hmm, I don't see him on any of the lists."

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

ChlamydiaJones posted:

Here are some words from a III%er

thanks Fox News.

He's not wrong about special interests having a shitload of power over governments, especially state governments. See: Coal in WV, Art Pope in South(?) Carolina, pro sports gouging cities for new stadiums...etc.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Murderion posted:

That's not how precedent works, unless they're hoping for some friendly dicta establishing a more restrictive rule when they loss (which is ethically questionable). They're actually risking damaging the first amendment for picking such a god awful test case.

If this was really what they were concerned about they'd wait for a case that had merit to set precedent by winning.

ashpanash posted:

Yeah, despite the fact that the Fox Newsites hate them, the ACLU is not a liberal organization. They're devoted to protecting the first amendment, no matter what side of the political spectrum they come from. That means that occasionally they're going to do something that you don't agree with, politically.

As far as I'm concerned, good. That's their job. The first amendment is probably the most important and most radically noble part of the constitution, and it should be given a very wide berth and defended vigorously. We need both dissent and ridicule to function as a free society, it's vital.

Holy poo poo why is this concept so loving hard, no one is claiming the ACLU shouldn't intervene because Santili is a bad man. The ACLU shouldn't intervene because their case has zero merit, they are wrong because what they are claiming is literally just that: loving wrong.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Evil Fluffy posted:

He's not wrong about special interests having a shitload of power over governments, especially state governments. See: Coal in WV, Art Pope in South(?) Carolina, pro sports gouging cities for new stadiums...etc.

Yeah, but you know full well that those aren't the "special interests" that this dude is mad about.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Evil Fluffy posted:

It's fine that the ACLU wants to get a standard set but they have to know that if they were to somehow win then the next militia incident would just have a lot more "reporters" taking part and using the defense that they're preparing for Pete. Though they might simply tell him "hey you hosed up and got caught up in the moment, so take a plea deal if you're smart."

I'm pretty sure that Santilli is to proud (re:dumb) to plead out, and the government has an extraordinarily good case against him so the chances of him and the ACLU winning are minuscule. The thing to remember is that turning parts of his case into a first amendment issue because he claimed he was a journalist is actually a good thing, and one that does actually need to happen with the decline of professional journalists that actually have standards and know what lines not to cross and the rise of citizen journalists that have zero standards and zero training (especially with loving wind screens) for future cases, like the next time a Ferguson happens it would be super easy to point at the results of the Santilli case to prove that the cops were violating peoples civil libierties should those people with cell phones get detained or even charged with anything.

Jarmak posted:

That's not how precedent works, unless they're hoping for some friendly dicta establishing a more restrictive rule when they loss (which is ethically questionable). They're actually risking damaging the first amendment for picking such a god awful test case.

If this was really what they were concerned about they'd wait for a case that had merit to set precedent by winning.

Holy poo poo why is this concept so loving hard, no one is claiming the ACLU shouldn't intervene because Santili is a bad man. The ACLU shouldn't intervene because their case has zero merit, they are wrong because what they are claiming is literally just that: loving wrong.

Kind of disagree with you on this.

Most judges will rule on the side of the first amendment (and if they don't SCOTUS, even the Roberts court will), and they have a poo poo load of room to clearly define what is and what isn't acceptable the next time someone pulls the "I'm just a journalist" card even if the ACLU does go down hard (which they will).

A Winner is Jew fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Feb 10, 2016

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

A Winner is Jew posted:

I'm pretty sure that Santilli is to proud (re:dumb) to plead out, and the government has an extraordinarily good case against him so the chances of him and the ACLU winning are minuscule. The thing to remember is that turning parts of his case into a first amendment issue because he claimed he was a journalist is actually a good thing, and one that does actually need to happen with the decline of professional journalists that actually have standards and know what lines not to cross and the rise of citizen journalists that have zero standards and zero training (especially with loving wind screens) for future cases, like the next time a Ferguson happens it would be super easy to point at the results of the Santilli case to prove that the cops were violating peoples civil libierties should those people with cell phones get detained or even charged with anything.

Kind of disagree with you on this.

Most judges will rule on the side of the first amendment (and if they don't SCOTUS, even the Roberts court will), and they have a poo poo load of room to clearly define what is and what isn't acceptable the next time someone pulls the "I'm just a journalist" card even if the ACLU does go down hard (which they will).

Only if Santili wins

Trying a case because you want to lose in a certain way sounds highly unethical

Edit: like everyone involved should be disbarred unethical

Jarmak fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Feb 10, 2016

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Jarmak posted:

That's the real head-scratcher. Bad facts make bad law is a saying for a reason.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Stultus Maximus posted:

I can't decode it for you, but all of their cargo cult-y pseudo-lawspeak has a purpose. Usually you can assume that they're trying to separate what they think of as actual things from legal fictions. The psychology of it all is pretty fascinating and very, very comparable to the activities of cargo cults in Polynesia.

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

Evil Fluffy posted:

If they were to somehow win, then it would be because what Pete is doing is legal. Given the FBI's track record, they'll be able to pin down exactly why he is screwed.

Jarmak posted:

Only if Santili wins

Trying a case because you want to lose in a certain way sounds highly unethical

Edit: like everyone involved should be disbarred unethical

They're not playing team sports, they're seeing a possible first amendment issue and rushing to defend it, as they feel it is worth defending. They are going to do their best. And you think this is unethical?

Pete has been claiming that he was just a journalist since before the ACLU got involved, the fact that they are going to lose this case isn't any different than if some other chucklefuck ran with that defense.

many johnnys fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Feb 10, 2016

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Its kind of weird that they're defending his first amendment right to instantly declare himself a reporter and/ or second amendment right to bear arms with the intent to go against the government when that action is willingly depriving the people of Burns their ability to life, liberty and property/happiness, but sure, I'd like to watch them fail spectacularly in helping Peter get off the hook. And hopefully that won't bite the entire ACLU in the rear end when, if they fail to get any of them out of jail, the militia nut jobs plan to "peacefully protest" a ACLU building somewhere because they must be part of the eVIL federALL conSPIraCy.

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

quote:

anything short of a fully Constitutional government infrastructure is slavery, plain and simple.
FULL COMMUNISM CONSTITUTIONAL GOVERNMENT NOW

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
With any luck the first thing that happens in court is Santilli standing up, saying he doesn't require legal counsel to defend himself in a gold-fringe flagged admiralty court.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.
I'm sure it's not lost on them that Constitutional government would include slavery.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

I wonder if there's any SovCits out there that go more for the Articles of Confederation as opposed to the Constitution. Or am i expecting too much in thinking that the average SovCit would be familiar with all that?

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

citybeatnik posted:

Or am I expecting too much in thinking that the average SovCit would be familiar with all that?

They do not even remotely know what they're talking about a lot of the time, they just think that "I do not consent" and "I am travelling" and so on are magic spells that render the police helpless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

many johnnys posted:

If they were to somehow win, then it would be because what Pete is doing is legal. Given the FBI's track record, they'll be able to pin down exactly why he is screwed.

They're not playing team sports, they're seeing a possible first amendment issue and rushing to defend it, as they feel it is worth defending. They are going to do their best. And you think this is unethical?

Pete has been claiming that he was just a journalist since before the ACLU got involved, the fact that they are going to lose this case isn't any different than if some other chucklefuck ran with that defense.

Knowingly making bad faith arguments to a court in furtherance of action that you know isn't in your client's best interest because in losing you hope to advance an ulterior political goal is unethical on a multitude of levels.

Knowingly making a obviously meritless first amendment claim with the worse test case possible because you think that in losing the judge might provide a narrow enough reasoning that it could be useful precedent in other cases is retarded as all gently caress on a multitude of levels.

Seriously "the ACLU are being a bunch of idealistic idiots and are earnestly defending that Pete did nothing wrong" looks way better then this 11th dimensional chess people are suggesting. Turns out the ACLU does stupid poo poo some times.

• Locked thread