Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
With hindsight, the lesson is: when someone is buying up the market from 10% to 70% on zero news, them buying it up IS the news.

Interesting story about Intrade...in the run up to 2012, someone was putting up a bid of tens of thousands of shares on Trump winning the GOP nomination at stupidly high prices (relatively speaking). Made zero sense. There was very little rumbling about it. Donald Trump as the nominee? Ridiculous. Then come to find out a few months later that he almost joined, and had the whole launch planned out, only to change his mind. It was either him or a close associate bidding him up on Intrade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Necc0 posted:

God damnit. Carson don't you gently caress me too.

Carson isn't Carly. He splits the Cruz/evangelical vote so the establishment wants him IN as long as possible. The only question is when he runs out of money--he's burning cash at an incredible rate. I think he'll limp through South Carolina at the minimum. He made the next debate based on polling numbers, I believe, so he has a few more books to sell yet.

railroad terror
Jul 2, 2007

choo choo
Man, somebody won a lot of money on Carly. drat.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

i had a sell no order at $.89 that was next in line to be filled before the news. made a good bit selling nos earlier, though. only lost about 100, but could have lost a ton more.

jesus, gently caress you, carly.

railroad terror
Jul 2, 2007

choo choo
People getting mega spooked on Carson now, probably overreacting. Carson down to 81 cents to stay in the race past the 12th. I'm buying.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Arkane posted:

With hindsight, the lesson is: when someone is buying up the market from 10% to 70% on zero news, them buying it up IS the news.

Interesting story about Intrade...in the run up to 2012, someone was putting up a bid of tens of thousands of shares on Trump winning the GOP nomination at stupidly high prices (relatively speaking). Made zero sense. There was very little rumbling about it. Donald Trump as the nominee? Ridiculous. Then come to find out a few months later that he almost joined, and had the whole launch planned out, only to change his mind. It was either him or a close associate bidding him up on Intrade.

You'd think so, but having played the (linked) next to drop out market, people also make insane, baseless wagers on PredictIt pretty much every day. On several occasions Carly Yes was bought up all the way to 90c (this was weeks/months ago). Same for Carson and Rand. People would either overreact to media pieces or just straight up make wild $500 bets without understanding the system very well.

The trick is distinguishing between someone with actual news and the idiots, which requires a burdensome hyper-awareness of current events.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Think we're straight on Carson...

I accidentally received an email from his campaign (one of the names is similar to mine), and it has a full schedule for his BUS TOUR through South Carolina, with contact information for every stop. Plus he is in the debate. Why drop out before the debate?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Why won't predictit release my Trump nhyes winnings when they released my Trump anyprimaryyes winnings like 8 hours ago argh

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
Man, if only PredictIt still did dropouts based on WHO'S NEXT instead of just "will they", so many people would have bought Christie and gotten hosed when Carly's announcement was the first official one.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Arkane posted:

Think we're straight on Carson...

I accidentally received an email from his campaign (one of the names is similar to mine), and it has a full schedule for his BUS TOUR through South Carolina, with contact information for every stop. Plus he is in the debate. Why drop out before the debate?

Yeah, Carson NO is such a sure thing that I put basically all my money in it. It's like people forgot that he skipped NH specifically because SC is so much more friendly to him. He was never gonna do well in the Northeast.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Hah Fiorina dropped. So much for my predictions.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

I'm in on Carson Drop No as well. Ride together die together etc.

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.
trying to find shares <.85 but it seems like the market has caught up. got a bunch of buys in for .83 and .84 but I'm afraid that won't happen anytime today :/

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011
gently caress YOU CARLY

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.
also incredibly glad I threw that carly sell at .90 order out. marginal gains, people.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

IM DAY DAY IRL posted:

trying to find shares <.85 but it seems like the market has caught up. got a bunch of buys in for .83 and .84 but I'm afraid that won't happen anytime today :/

Anything below 93 is a good play unless you think you'll need that money in the next two days for some reason?

IM DAY DAY IRL posted:

also incredibly glad I threw that carly sell at .90 order out. marginal gains, people.

Yeah as far fetched as her dropping out was I somehow dodged that bullet as well (despite posting in here that her staying in for at least another few days was almost certain. woops!)

UnoriginalMind
Dec 22, 2007

I Love You
Anyone putting money into the Dem Nevada race? I know it was discussed a few pages ago, but I didn't hear about anyone buying in.

Regis Christ
Mar 27, 2010

"Get it? I'm old!"

Grimey Drawer
I LOVE YOU, CARLY!

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
What PredictIt giveth, PredictIt taketh away.

StevePerry
Sep 5, 2003

don't stop believin

UnoriginalMind posted:

Anyone putting money into the Dem Nevada race? I know it was discussed a few pages ago, but I didn't hear about anyone buying in.
I'm strong Bernie NO (~400 shares) based on the fact that he couldn't beat Hillary in Iowa using the same format and she won the state in 2008.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

IM DAY DAY IRL posted:

Yep I made major money after her announcement last night and dropped out of the market like Carly drops out of races.

UnoriginalMind
Dec 22, 2007

I Love You

Peachstapler posted:

I'm strong Bernie NO (~400 shares) based on the fact that he couldn't beat Hillary in Iowa using the same format and she won the state in 2008.

I had the same feeling. I'm interested to see what will develop. I think I'm going in on this.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

pathetic little tramp posted:

Man, if only PredictIt still did dropouts based on WHO'S NEXT instead of just "will they", so many people would have bought Christie and gotten hosed when Carly's announcement was the first official one.

oh my god this would have been an 'Event Horizon' level bloodbath

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

gently caress Scott Walker, still

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Peachstapler posted:

Market might freak out when the next Nevada polls come out, which are almost certain to be more favorable to Bernie than the current numbers. If you plan to buy and hold, you might want to wait to get in.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

tinstaach posted:

gently caress Scott Walker, still

I still have my WALKER.RNOM.NO shares that I bought last August for $.80 :allears:

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.
welp, already flipped my first round of Carsons. dropped another buy order, will check intermittently and hope to ride the wave all day :)

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

a cop posted:

I'm sorry to anyone who died :ohdear:

I just got owned

OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!
On the bright side, Kasich is rising in the states you'd expect him to do well in on Super Tuesday. Anyone else buy low on him and get in on the Kasichmentum?

StevePerry
Sep 5, 2003

don't stop believin

Vox Nihili posted:

Market might freak out when the next Nevada polls come out, which are almost certain to be more favorable to Bernie than the current numbers. If you plan to buy and hold, you might want to wait to get in.
Yeah I'll hold what I have and max out with the better numbers once new polling drops. I've been amassing SC/NV/Super Tuesday shares on long-standing low bids for quite a while so they're still good prices.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Vox Nihili posted:

You'd think so, but having played the (linked) next to drop out market, people also make insane, baseless wagers on PredictIt pretty much every day. On several occasions Carly Yes was bought up all the way to 90c (this was weeks/months ago). Same for Carson and Rand. People would either overreact to media pieces or just straight up make wild $500 bets without understanding the system very well.

The trick is distinguishing between someone with actual news and the idiots, which requires a burdensome hyper-awareness of current events.

I disagree man, basically every single trade is information. But I do agree that a single trade could be a mis-click or someone just making a reckless bet.

StevePerry
Sep 5, 2003

don't stop believin
Christie has informed his staff that it's over.

We need a public declaration Chris!

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
GOP Brokered is pretty nuts. Now at a 40% chance. I don't really want to short it given the time frames, but that seems high.

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.
5200 shares of Carson Dropout No at .92, 1c above my current avg value

looks like today's flipping is over for me

edit: make that 5800. if any of you want to make 8c/share over the next two days feel free to max out

IM DAY DAY IRL has issued a correction as of 22:52 on Feb 10, 2016

UnoriginalMind
Dec 22, 2007

I Love You

IM DAY DAY IRL posted:

5200 shares of Carson Dropout No at .92, 1c above my current avg value

looks like today's flipping is over for me

edit: make that 5800. if any of you want to make 8c/share over the next two days feel free to max out

Put the last of my funds into this. I know he's not going to bomb me like Fiorina...but the fear is REAL.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Arkane posted:

GOP Brokered is pretty nuts. Now at a 40% chance. I don't really want to short it given the time frames, but that seems high.

That's way high. I'd give it 10% charitably. There's going to be even more candidates dropping before Super Tuesday.

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

OrangeKing posted:

On the bright side, Kasich is rising in the states you'd expect him to do well in on Super Tuesday. Anyone else buy low on him and get in on the Kasichmentum?

Yes. I've never hit something so hard and just ran with it. At one point I owned 25% of the Kasich YES in VT, NH, & MN. I've since sold about 2/3 of my position. I made more money in the last 4 days than the last 5 months. Winning lottery tickets is fun. It's going to be hard to go back to grinding it out on safe stuff but necessary if I want to keep what PredictIt giveth.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

It's been real, everyone, but I need to focus on real life before this hobby turns into a habit.

Final score for bragging purposes:

(GO BERNIE)

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Glad I didn't touch Carly. Nothing about her makes any sense to me and I wasn't confident dumping a bunch of money into those NO shares.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Vox Nihili posted:

It's been real, everyone, but I need to focus on real life before this hobby turns into a habit.

Final score for bragging purposes:

(GO BERNIE)

Holy poo poo dude. That's unreal. Good job.

• Locked thread