Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
falcon2424
May 2, 2005

Talmonis posted:

They are not protesters. This needs to be driven home. They are an armed force that broke into a Federal facility and threatened force on anyone who tried to remove them.

Of course they're protestors.

They're people who took public action to demonstrate their objection to a thing. That's a protest.

It's a protest even if people are doing illegal stuff (see: Whiskey Rebellion, Boston Tea Party), or if we think the people protesting are huge, crazy assholes with a worthless cause (WBC)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Wait, is he trying to aggressively dissuade Ammon from calling him (since the FBI have his balls in a vice) or has he escaped from/forgotten about the vice and is complaining about a reporter's call?

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

SubponticatePoster posted:

I believe that's properly referred to as "a bag of cash" in most circles :v:

Confusion
Level: SovCit 4
Components: V, M (hard currency)
Range: Touch
Target: One humanoid of lawful/neutral alignment
Duration: 1 min/level + 5 min per $100,000 worth of gold
Saving Throw: Will negates
Spell Resistance: Yes

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
The text reportedly said "need commissary credit for snacks"

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer

falcon2424 posted:

Of course they're protestors.

They're people who took public action to demonstrate their objection to a thing. That's a protest.

It's a protest even if people are doing illegal stuff (see: Whiskey Rebellion, Boston Tea Party), or if we think the people protesting are huge, crazy assholes with a worthless cause (WBC)

Timothy McVeigh, protester

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

The presiding judge should get a custom made US flag with like, half a foot of fringe on all sides.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

Kilo147 posted:

The presiding judge should get a custom made US flag with like, half a foot of fringe on all sides.

Judge should get a flag that only has fringe on parts of it but they're hidden by the folds and occasionally he should touch the flag to expose the fringes. It would probably drive their SovCit brains bonkers.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Rick_Hunter posted:

Judge should get a flag that only has fringe on parts of it but they're hidden by the folds and occasionally he should touch the flag to expose the fringes. It would probably drive their SovCit brains bonkers.

Have no fringe on the flag, but hold the trial on a ship.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Actually try them under admiralty law.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Or just get an actual navy flag. Like the red and white one with don't tread on me.

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug

Discendo Vox posted:

GyroNinja
Nov 7, 2012

Discendo Vox posted:

Sentence them to walking the plank.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
I was thinking sentence them to <a quantity> of lashes with the cat o' nine tails, but that works too.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum
Seats, judges robe, bailiff's uniform, prosecution's suitcase all have gold fringes. Flags do not. All chairs are marked "joinder", "This court's authority" written across the ceiling.

Model ships on all tables.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Just have a bottle full of rum and plate of hardtack on the judge's desk.

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos
Confiscate their computers and electronic devices and search them. There's bound to be some form of pirated software or video somewhere. Charge them with piracy. I'm pretty sure the punishment for piracy in an admiralty court is death.

Abner Cadaver II
Apr 21, 2009

TONIGHT!

OAquinas posted:

Wait, is he trying to aggressively dissuade Ammon from calling him (since the FBI have his balls in a vice) or has he escaped from/forgotten about the vice and is complaining about a reporter's call?

The latter. He's still openly supporting the Bundys and occupation iirc.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

GyroNinja posted:

Look at this soft on crime democRAT.

They should sentence him to Scaphism.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

StandardVC10 posted:

I was thinking sentence them to <a quantity> of lashes with the cat o' nine tails, but that works too.

"I hereby sentence you to six years in bed with the captain's daughter."

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

falcon2424 posted:

Adding on to this, the procedure for looking at past comments matters.

If Santilli's comments broke the law, then there was plenty of time for a prosecutor to get a conviction. And then the bail denial is just based on past criminal history. And that's a fairly bright line.

Since that didn't happen, the judge is declaring that comments are "dangerous" according to some ad-hoc standard that might not actually match our laws around prohibited speech.

That's a really bad precedent, particularly when we're talking about denying bail to protestors.

If applied by a unsympathetic judge to a sympathetic protestor, it could look like: "Defendant Morello is accused of trespassing in conjunction with a a political protest. Prosecution argues that Defendant Morello has made violent statements including calls for his followers to 'Arm The Homeless'. Defendant Morello additionally purchased a device with the purported purpose of 'Killing Fascists', a group who, according to Morello's affiliates, includes the members of Fox News Network. Due to this history of specific threats, Morello is denied bail until trial. Trial is set to begin in 6 months."

There are obvious differences between a Santilli's situation and a that of a guitarist for Rage Against the Machine. But that's kind of the point. The ACLU can and should be pushing for a standard that's more explicit and nuanced than denying people bail because their past statements can be made to sound violent in a bail hearing.

No, that's not how any of this works, bail is not a right and it is up to the judge's judgement as long as he doesn't trip the 8th amendment. There is no bright line rule like you're making up here. These aren't magic words, if you could convince a judge that Morello's words did indicate a danger to the community then that judge would be absolutely right to deny bail.

And for the love of god how many times does this have to be posted before people stop repeating the ACLU's bullshit:

Discendo Vox posted:

It'd be fine- if it were accurate. The judge was explicit that past, hyperbolic threats (the Clinton one particularly) weren't why Santilli was being held, but rather specific statements about how he would kill federal officers who approached his door, coupled with his direct involvement in the occupation. ACLU likes to play fast and loose with facts to make their argument.

Discendo Vox posted:

The ACLU are attacking his indictment. The basis of his bail denial wasn't the random earlier threats, but his explicit threats against federal employees during the Malheur events - the judge was very clear about that.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

GyroNinja posted:

Only if it goes like this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNaQS3vDQc4&t=30s

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
An adjunct professor from George Mason U on the overview of the federal response to malheur:

http://theconversation.com/the-federal-response-in-malheur-and-far-right-extremism-54222

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Intel&Sebastian posted:

An adjunct professor from George Mason U on the overview of the federal response to malheur:

http://theconversation.com/the-federal-response-in-malheur-and-far-right-extremism-54222

People joke about Trump but if he or someone like him became president and decided "hey I want to round up the brown people and send them back to Mexico, I need your help" we'd have a Trumpstaffel full of far right assholes in no time.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

SocketWrench posted:

I DO NOT CONSENT
I DO NOT CONSENT
I DO NOT CONSENT

AAAAAHHHHHH!

HE'S TRYING TO TAZER MY BALLS
DON'T TAZE ME BRO

Lieutenant Cocker or whatever was still the best. He gave the guy plenty of patience and when that failed, he pulled the fuckin window out :black101:

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Intel&Sebastian posted:

He does point out the very obvious problem that these kind of right wing lunatics are fed into by Republican candidates who have grown more and more extremist, but very little about what could possibly be done to help stem the growing tide.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Kelsey Grammer :unsmith:

Shame about his attempts to start conserva-comedy network.

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May

Thump! posted:

Kelsey Grammer :unsmith:

Shame about his attempts to start conserva-comedy network.

Never forget about this piece of garbage when shaming any of a plethora of Hollywood conservatives, including Kelsey Grammer.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

NathanScottPhillips
Jul 23, 2009

Talmonis posted:

They are not protesters. This needs to be driven home. They are an armed force that broke into a Federal facility and threatened force on anyone who tried to remove them.
Contrary to popular liberal belief, the possession of firearms does not really add any extra legal ramifications to the situation outside of the felons who were present. Liberal protesters should try to carry guns, it would probably help their causes in most situations.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Kro-Bar posted:

Never forget about this piece of garbage when shaming any of a plethora of Hollywood conservatives, including Kelsey Grammer.

Leslie...

David Alan Grier...

:smith:

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer

NathanScottPhillips posted:

Contrary to popular liberal belief, the possession of firearms does not really add any extra legal ramifications to the situation outside of the felons who were present. Liberal protesters should try to carry guns, it would probably help their causes in most situations.

Not only is this a really dumb and dangerous opinion that everyone should laugh at, it's factually wrong:

"(b) Whoever, with intent that a firearm or other dangerous weapon be used in the commission of a crime, knowingly possesses or causes to be present such firearm or dangerous weapon in a Federal facility, or attempts to do so, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than 5 years, or both."

18 U.S.C. 930(b)

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

NathanScottPhillips posted:

Liberal protesters should try to carry guns, it would probably help their causes in most situations.

How?

GyroNinja
Nov 7, 2012

I mean, to be fair, if BLM protesters started packing, I'm sure we'd see a lot more Republicans reaching across the aisle to pass gun control legislation.

We'd probably have a lot of dead protesters though.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Well for one thing being shot by cops will mean that their grievances will be accurately portrayed in the media?

Or the media will make it a point to mention that the police force in the US is a bit too trigger happy?

Oh I know, the police just won't strait up bomb them?

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

A Winner is Jew posted:

Well for one thing being shot by cops will mean that their grievances will be accurately portrayed in the media?

Or the media will make it a point to mention that the police force in the US is a bit too trigger happy?

Oh I know, the police just won't strait up bomb them?

All that it'll end up doing is making the cops mow them down for 'fear of their lives', and the media will portray them as scary gang members.

If you want proof of that, check here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvW_zBvJlsA

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Geostomp posted:

He does point out the very obvious problem that these kind of right wing lunatics are fed into by Republican candidates who have grown more and more extremist, but very little about what could possibly be done to help stem the growing tide.

I'm not sure anything can be effective while the GOP keeps goosing them and the nation keeps doing poo poo that pisses them off. This whole thing and their current primaries should make it pretty clear that there's a large portion of our country that has a hate boner on and can't articulate why. They said "eh good enough" when a presidential candidate finally took the dog out of dogwhistle even though just about everything else about him is something they claim to hate.

Someone over there needs to self police, and not just when they get calls from the FBI telling them they're close to catching a charge.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

A Winner is Jew posted:

Unless you Were No Angel.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Ted Nugent called himself a war hero who fought in Fallujah in 04 on facebook today I guess....odd.

Wrong thread but I think ill leave it anyway.

I am not a book
Mar 9, 2013
:siren:poo poo GOING DOWN:siren:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOlrSain0lk

I am not a book
Mar 9, 2013

back story: FBI is talking to the terorists via a bullhorn, instructing them to leave. yallquaida are brandishing guns. fbi sniper in firetower

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I am not a book
Mar 9, 2013
someone(frylo ren?) is in a truck

• Locked thread