Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Ceiling fan posted:

I heard part of a talk Justice Sotomayor gave a few years ago that explains this. She said that the preliminary voting process just after arguements involves no debate. Just a combined statement and vote done in order of seniority. So the junior Justices especially ask questions in a way to communicate their position and reasoning to their seniors ahead of the votes.

That is the dumbest thing I've heard all day and I know Trump supporters on Facebook

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akumu
Apr 24, 2003

Samurai Sanders posted:

This happened in Seattle too, if I remember right.

feds: You are doing these fifteen awful things. Fix them.
SPD: Some of those are hard to fix, can't we negotiate about this?
feds: Sorry, I must have misheard that, what did you loving say?

edit: I didn't clearly hear what happened after that though; I wasn't living in Seattle at the time.

See also Show Me A Hero, about the struggles of Yonkers, NY to comply with a court order about building public housing throughout the city, rather than concentrating and segregating all the poor black residents.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I keep reading things in print media along the lines of "the scientific community is in overwhelming consensus regarding climate change." I've only started reading research publication journals outside American Journal of Physics in the last year and feel like I've largely missed the boat on what precisely contributes to that consensus.

Are there any environmental subject matter experts in this thread, or in another thread that I'm missing? I'd love to (because I'm lazy) put together a short reading list of what you consider to be modern milestone publications in climate change. I realize that climate change as a research field is quite broad now, so even if you know of a well-known paper in a specific field, I'm interested in what you'd have me read.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Potato Salad posted:

I keep reading things in print media along the lines of "the scientific community is in overwhelming consensus regarding climate change." I've only started reading research publication journals outside American Journal of Physics in the last year and feel like I've largely missed the boat on what precisely contributes to that consensus.

Are there any environmental subject matter experts in this thread, or in another thread that I'm missing? I'd love to (because I'm lazy) put together a short reading list of what you consider to be modern milestone publications in climate change. I realize that climate change as a research field is quite broad now, so even if you know of a well-known paper in a specific field, I'm interested in what you'd have me read.

There's a climate change thread that has people that follow it more closely than I think most in here do. They might have a list somewhere in there. Not that it's not a USPOL topic or anything because it is, they just might know more.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

lol no. Anyone jumping in now is a fool.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

http://kut.org/post/tracking-down-austin-pac-behind-ann-kitchen-recall-petition

A shady super-PAC that's not following any of the disclosure or funding regulations in Texas is trying to recall an Austin city councilwoman for trying to regulate ridesharing services. They're hiring canvassers with scripts full of misinformation to collect signatures. Recently if you tried to get an Uber in Austin, it popped up a dialog saying this councilwoman is trying to take away your freedoms and that you should vote against her. Nobody seems to know who's funding the super-PAC and it's been caught blatantly lying about its donations. Hmm.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Samurai Sanders posted:

This happened in Seattle too, if I remember right.

feds: You are doing these fifteen awful things. Fix them.
SPD: Some of those are hard to fix, can't we negotiate about this?
feds: Sorry, I must have misheard that, what did you loving say?

edit: I didn't clearly hear what happened after that though; I wasn't living in Seattle at the time.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-missouri-ferguson-justice-idUSKCN0VJ2E6

Lol, feds aren't wasting any time

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Loretta Lynch has apparently had enough of Missouri's poo poo.

quote:

Justice Department suing Ferguson over deal, attorney general says

The U.S. Justice Department is filing a lawsuit against the city of Ferguson, Missouri, Attorney General Loretta Lynch said Wednesday. The lawsuit alleges a pattern and practice of unconstitutional police conduct in the city.

Federal authorities had no other choice but to file a lawsuit against the city after the Ferguson City Council voted to change the terms of a consent decree, Lynch said.

"We intend to aggressively prosecute this case," she told reporters, "and we intend to prevail."

"The residents of Ferguson have suffered the deprivation of their Constitutional rights, the rights guaranteed to all Americans, for decades. They have waited decades for justice," Lynch said. "They should not be forced to wait any longer."

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Potato Salad posted:

Honestly, I'd suggest the IPCC's AR5 WG1 report (Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, Assessment Report 5, Working Group 1 Report) as it is the summation of the global consensus and will cite all of the best research.

SixPabst
Oct 24, 2006

Notable shithead James O'Keefe is stirring up poo poo again by EXPOSING VOTER FRAUD in the NH primary. Like it means something. Or something.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Zeroisanumber posted:

Loretta Lynch is winning me over.

Luigi Thirty posted:

A shady super-PAC that's not following any of the disclosure or funding regulations in Texas is trying to recall an Austin city councilwoman for trying to regulate ridesharing services. They're hiring canvassers with scripts full of misinformation to collect signatures. Recently if you tried to get an Uber in Austin, it popped up a dialog saying this councilwoman is trying to take away your freedoms and that you should vote against her. Nobody seems to know who's funding the super-PAC and it's been caught blatantly lying about its donations. Hmm.

I'm sure Uber's hyper aggressive management has nothing to do with this.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

mintskoal posted:

Notable shithead James O'Keefe is stirring up poo poo again by EXPOSING VOTER FRAUD in the NH primary. Like it means something. Or something.

I think it's pretty badass that James O'Keefe is pro-Clinton.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
Why is James O'Keefe still alive

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

Logikv9 posted:

Why is James O'Keefe still alive

Because powerful people enjoy his poo poo, and he enjoys the attention of powerful people and the wailing and gnashing of liberals.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Watch out Bloomberg!

https://twitter.com/aseitzwald/status/697559444633358337

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

zoux posted:

I would consider myself to be an extremely high information voter who spends tons of time following politics at all levels and I still have no idea who the gently caress Jim Gilmore is.

He is the way Zoux. And the will.

EDIT: ^^^ This race is just full of egotists.

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

This is going to be the California Gubernatorial Recall of Presidential Elections, isn't it?

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

So his spokesman doesn't give a poo poo either.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Timby posted:

On this note, if anyone hasn't read The Nine and The Oath, Jeffrey Toobin's two books on the Supreme Court, they're pretty much required reading for anyone who wants to understand how the current Court's makeup operates.

Y'all need to cool it with the good book recommendations. I only just got to Agnew's turn to Law and Order rhetoric as VP in Nixonland.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Zeroisanumber posted:

This is the definition of poo poo Getting Real

You do NOT want to be in a lawsuit against the Feds

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

This is the definition of poo poo Getting Real

The town is too poor to implement the changes but not poor enough to withstand a lawsuit from the federal loving government. Yup, that seems to track.

Edit: the way I understand it, these idiots already went to the bargaining table with the feds, agreed on the changes and now want the fed back at the bargaining table. It's obviously a case that they want to delay this as long as possible but c'mon son.

RevKrule fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Feb 11, 2016

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Zeroisanumber posted:

what possessed the Ferguson police department to look at Lynch, look at the political situation right now, and think she was bluffing?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Trabisnikof posted:

Honestly, I'd suggest the IPCC's AR5 WG1 report (Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, Assessment Report 5, Working Group 1 Report) as it is the summation of the global consensus and will cite all of the best research.

The piece -- and I forget who posted it -- on suburban infrastructure expansion as something like a ponzi scheme through the last two generations was fascinating. The notion that a township or city doesn't justify expenditures based on whether or not X statue or Y park will generate enough tax revenue to maintain itself in the future is not difficult for me to accept purely on an anecdotal basis. What is a little more confusing is that solar and wind infrastructure aren't being built out large scale, even with ROI commonly coming down below 15 years in (admittedly biased) strategic energy research projects I support professionally. It was apparently justifiable to throw money at projects with no clear tax revenue returns in the future, but :getout: if you want to propose renewable energy that just shits electricity and pays itself back in less than a generation, maintenance and upgrades included?

Eminent domain exists for a reason.
:mad: Don't put windmills near my house. The property value will go down.
:raise: Cheaper energy is a good thing for you, businesses around here, and people are going to get used to windmills soon enough.
:mad: I have investments to protect! This is my nest egg.
:raise: This is for the survival of the species, :fuckoff:

Just throwing :homebrew: at energy infrastructure is a financial mistake I hope we get to make with [insert unicorn Democrat preliminary thread candidate here]. Our kids will thank us for any domestic surplus of energy we can provide them.

His Purple Majesty
Dec 12, 2008

Potato Salad posted:

The piece -- and I forget who posted it -- on suburban infrastructure expansion as something like a ponzi scheme through the last two generations was fascinating. The notion that a township or city doesn't justify expenditures based on whether or not X statue or Y park will generate enough tax revenue to maintain itself in the future is not difficult for me to accept purely on an anecdotal basis. What is a little more confusing is that solar and wind infrastructure aren't being built out large scale, even with ROI commonly coming down below 15 years in (admittedly biased) strategic energy research projects I support professionally. It was apparently justifiable to throw money at projects with no clear tax revenue returns in the future, but :getout: if you want to propose renewable energy that just shits electricity and pays itself back in less than a generation, maintenance and upgrades included?

Eminent domain exists for a reason.
:mad: Don't put windmills near my house. The property value will go down.
:raise: Cheaper energy is a good thing for you, businesses around here, and people are going to get used to windmills soon enough.
:mad: I have investments to protect! This is my nest egg.
:raise: This is for the survival of the species, :fuckoff:

Just throwing :homebrew: at energy infrastructure is a financial mistake I hope we get to make with [insert unicorn Democrat preliminary thread candidate here]. Our kids will thank us for any domestic surplus of energy we can provide them.

Your first mistake is thinking that the red half of our country wants competent leadership

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Did Bill Kristol write that?

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

Luigi Thirty posted:

That's a really smart move on Uber's part. Let people use a service on your app of their own accord and then go, "oh by the way if rear end in a top hat was king you couldn't do what you just decided to do." Reminds me of weird laws Uber went through getting into Vegas. If you're not outside the terminal at the airport when they show up they have to make another pass through the terminal pickup. Normal cars can wait for whoever of course. Taxis are allowed to stop and wait for customers of course.

And not even that can save them.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

unless you are Barry Bonds

:911:

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

DeusExMachinima posted:

That's a really smart move on Uber's part. Let people use a service on your app of their own accord and then go, "oh by the way if rear end in a top hat was king you couldn't do what you just decided to do." Reminds me of weird laws Uber went through getting into Vegas. If you're not outside the terminal at the airport when they show up they have to make another pass through the terminal pickup. Normal cars can wait for whoever of course. Taxis are allowed to stop and wait for customers of course.

"Them" being Uber, who blew through $700 million last quarter.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

computer parts posted:

That's chump change when you're worth more then the entire global livery economy.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

DeusExMachinima posted:

Yeah, setting up an illegal PAC and trying to force an "Austin vs. Californians" type recall election sounds really loving smart. :rolleyes:

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!
Fire with fire.^^^

computer parts posted:

Most tech companies we take for granted post losses more often than not. Eventually Uber and Lyft will come to equilibrium either way. Some locations they may not be profitable in and decide to cut out of eventually. They'll stay in areas in which they are profitable. Smaller companies like them with lower operating costs will take their place in those areas and that's great because competition is the greatest, despite what taxi unions might think. :)

Tobermory
Mar 31, 2011

In other Cleveland news, white people continue to be horrible:

quote:

PLEASE TAKE NOTICE that the City of Cleveland (“Creditor”), located at 601 Lakeside Avenue, Room 122, Cleveland, Ohio 44114, has a claim against the Estate of Tamir Rice in the amount of Five Hundred Dollars ($500.00), see Exhibit A, which is past due and owing for emergency medical services rendered as the decedent’s last dying expense under Ohio Revised Code §2117.25(A)(5). This notice constitutes a presentation of a creditor’s claim pursuant to Ohio Revised Code §2117.06.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

DeusExMachinima posted:

Fire with fire.^^^

Explain how operating an illegal super PAC is equivalent to a democratically-elected public official attempting to legislate.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Solkanar512 posted:

Yeah, setting up an illegal PAC and trying to force an "Austin vs. Californians" type recall election sounds really loving smart. :rolleyes:

"It's only illegal if you get caught"

With the realities of the the justice system we have in America being what they are I wouldn't exactly be holding my breath waiting for negative consequences for Uber. Only reason there's been any legal problems so far is because Uber's business model is messing with other people who have enough money to be heard.

edit:
Jesus gently caress, people are supposed to be horrified by the stories of state executions charging their families for the bullet not use that as a blueprint.

bird food bathtub fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Feb 11, 2016

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

Samurai Sanders posted:

what possessed the Ferguson police department to look at Lynch, look at the political situation right now, and think she was bluffing?

Yeah, the woman in charge of the agency currently tearing FIFA a new rear end in a top hat is certainly gonna meet her match in this dumbass police department. :rolleyes:

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

Sylink posted:

Being in Ohio, I will just add that Kasich is a piece of poo poo. He has not helped this state. The only plus is that he is just corrupt and not corrupt and religiously crazy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCDKQ8qDLDQ

mother jones posted:

Since Kasich entered office in 2011, he has enacted 16 anti-abortion measures. Some directly restrict abortion access, such as the 20-week late-term ban that he signed six months after entering office. Others limit the work of abortion providers. For example, in 2013 he signed the state's budget bill, which included one provision that prohibits state-funded rape crisis counselors from referring women to abortion services and another that stripped Planned Parenthood of an estimated $1.4 million in federal family-planning dollars. The measures have had drastic consequences for access to abortion and medical care for Ohio women: During Kasich's time in office, the number of abortion providers in the state has dropped from 16 to eight.

[...]

During his first term as governor, Kasich was outspoken in his anti-abortion rhetoric. In 2011, after signing the Late-Term Abortion Ban, a bill that required physicians to test the viability of an unborn child if the mother sought an abortion at 20 weeks or later in her pregnancy, Kasich released a statement saying, "Life is a gift from God and one way that we express our ongoing gratitude for it is by respecting it. This bill does that in a very fundamental way and I'm proud to have signed it into law." In October 2012, Kasich appointed Michael Gonidakis, the Ohio Right to Life President, to the state medical board.

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2015/07/wolf-sheeps-clothing-gov-kasichs-reproductive-rights-record

the nation posted:

At issue is a state law requiring clinics to have written transfer agreements with local hospitals. (Like the admitting-privileges requirements that have popped up in Alabama, Texas, and other states, the transfer agreement is a regulation meant to force abortion providers into shutting their doors.) In 2013, Ohio’s legislature banned public hospitals from entering into such agreements. Private hospitals, which are often Catholic institutions, have a track record of rejecting or ignoring clinics’ requests, according to the complaint.

http://www.thenation.com/article/john-kasich-is-no-moderate-when-it-comes-to-abortion-rights/

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Those very possibly could be printed automatically.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Gonna quote myself to ask a follow-up question:

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

NPR just played an interview yesterday with a guy who is a manager at GE manufacturing and trying to push the whole "work for us during college and we'll pay for you to get your degree."

Long story short, he talked about how he got his degree in mechanical engineering (I think) while working and married when he was young and how his son by contrast is graduating with a degree in Aquatics and Marine Sciences with >$30k in debt. On the one hand, he thought it was ridiculously hard for college graduates dealing with what is essentially a mortgage at their age, but on the other hand is against the idea of Sanders et al making college free because (in a clearly begrudging tone) "if you make students graduate debt free, they won't be incentivized to work as a hard so they'll slack off. Debt gives them incentive to work harder, so I dunno, I'm skeptical."

The interviewer and the manager also talked about how that kind of debt is dissuading people like his son from pursuing his dreams re: Aquatics and Marine Sciences due to trying to find work in a narrow field, so the dad is doing all he can to help by getting his son a job at the GE manufacturing plant they were conducting the interview at instead so he can get a good job (albeit not in his intended field) to pay off the debt.

Basically the American mindset and state of higher education in a microcosm: a dream deferred (or not pursued at all) due to prohibitive debt requirements, but the hard-wired assembly language cultural coding of the Protestant Work Ethic makes it impossible for people to even consider making college cheaper/free for fear of reducing our collective fascist dedication to workaholism, so we continuously shoot ourselves in the foot even harder.

(For what it's worth, I groaned heavily at my car radio.)

e: Although it's an improvement from the current situation by making a community college to 4-year college pipeline, we're essentially handicapping everyone from upper-middle class on down through the socioeconomic ladder by foisting immense debt obligations on teens/young adults who have most likely barely started to learn how to handle a basic credit card and limiting their "realistic" options to cheaper community colleges versus going to, say, a private/Ivy League school if their credentials qualified (yes, I know about Ivy funding with grants and work-study, that's a murkier area beyond what I'm driving at here).

This is in stark contrast to the Greatest/Boomer generations that had any school of any caliber either paid for by the GI Bill or literally able to be paid for in full by working a minimum wage job/painting houses during the summer. Germans with free/~250 Euro semester fees would flip a poo poo at our tuition fee requirements.

tl;dr America is forcing anyone below Upper Class to either mortgage their futures with college debt or resign themselves to spending their college years at a location which might be less engaging/suited for their abilities and personal preferences when they could otherwise enter based on merit. I think it's totally anti-democratic and anti-meritocratic to gate higher education (or healthcare or basically anything considered a public utility) based on wealth inequality.

Why do Americans seem to throw efficiency/pragmatism under the bus with public policy in place of "working hard for the sake of working hard"? It's probably a rhetorical question at this point, but is there a similar sentiment outside of America of punishing ourselves and others who don't seem to meet an arbitrary bar of what it means to have hard work ethic and stripping benefits for those deemed to have not paid their dues to society?

Countries like Norway tend to have a reputation of cold emotionless pragmatism in public policy decisions that seem the inverse of American attitudes.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Feb 11, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syjefroi
Oct 6, 2003

I'll play it first and tell you what it is later.

Oh my god that old lady, she went from a fan to heartbroken in an instant.

• Locked thread