Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
Hbomb, why is your house so loving blue?!?! And did you like The Force Awakens? It seems to me that a lot of people who liked the prequels hated it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mischalaniouse
Nov 7, 2009

*ribbit*
Errant Signal talks about the Kickstarted game about a family's battle against cancer, That Dragon, Cancer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INL3UFXC1JA

(good god, stay out of the comments)

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
What about the Prince of Persia movie? I've never played Sands of Time (I have it siting in my backlog), but I remember it being okay; not fantastic, but good as far as video game movies go. I thought it was neat that they got Jordan Mechner to write it.

I was going to suggest the Last Starfighter, but I checked, and that was a movie before it was a video game.

Augus posted:

Like the Hitman movie. That movie is just a generic action flick using Hitman branding, but if you play Blood Money it's anything but that. Hitman is about blending in, setting up traps, planning, pulling off a clean kill as if you were never there. A movie based on it would have to be more realistic suspense, not balls to the wall action, in order to capture the spirit of the game itself.
Of course, there's so much money in the business now that you'd be hard-pressed to find a game adaptation that won't just be a generic blockbuster.
I always thought that the opening scene of The Mechanic (the original 1972 version) was a more accurate representation of what it's like to play Hitman: Blood Money than anything I've seen of the actual Hitman films.

I think that highlights another problem with video game movies; a lot of video games draw from films. The original Mortal Kombat is comparable to Enter The Dragon, Silent Hill was heavily inspired by Jacob's Ladder, Resident Evil is inspired by George Romero's zombie films, and Max Payne (I forgot about the Max Payne film) was styled after John Woo films. It's kind of like a copy of a copy, in that you're watching an imitation of something that was taking inspiration from something else.

Moartoast
Jan 16, 2011

Another unfunny, threadshitting knob-end.

Mischalaniouse posted:

It's like clockwork, if the gears were covered in bile.

I'm happy he had something to contrast the juvenile cynicism of Beginners Guide with, he seems to have come to terms with the "oh no critics have bias" insecurities to some degree, and it's neat to see him give this game its dues in the face of an audience that's probably got a significant overlap with r/atheism-type jagoffs, even moreso if you count the people who've been hatewatching him since he called out how fuckin' terrible GTA V's toxic waste of a script was.

That said, dude still needs to work on his delivery of his writing. I don't know what it is, but as much as i liked his writing about his heartbreak at that scene, his delivery just came off real awkward and script-read-y.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Mraagvpeine posted:

Wait, are you serious?

I wish I was. Article about the accidents on the Resident Evil set.

Whatever you do, don't look up pictures of the stuntwoman who got hurt. They're out there. Degloving is not pretty.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Mr. Fowl posted:

Degloving

I could have lived a long, happy life without knowing that this was the name of an injury. :gonk:

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Mischalaniouse posted:

Errant Signal talks about the Kickstarted game about a family's battle against cancer, That Dragon, Cancer.

Too late, saying that made me look

Euphoria kills your ability to empathize with other human beings it seems.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Max Wilco posted:

I think that highlights another problem with video game movies; a lot of video games draw from films. The original Mortal Kombat is comparable to Enter The Dragon, Silent Hill was heavily inspired by Jacob's Ladder, Resident Evil is inspired by George Romero's zombie films, and Max Payne (I forgot about the Max Payne film) was styled after John Woo films. It's kind of like a copy of a copy, in that you're watching an imitation of something that was taking inspiration from something else.

Not that big of a problem, modern genre cinema is incestual on its own, with highest-grossing movie of all time being a competently made patchwork of sci-fi cliches and most successful movies of the last year being safe retreads.
It is just that the Hollywood rights hustle was less kind to video games than to superhero comics or YA novels.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Archer666 posted:

The Street Fighter anime movie is also pretty legit, as is the Yakuza movie.

Given that Yakuza is more or less "Hey, let's dump every single japanese gangster movie cliche and blip like a more serious eequivalent of Grand Theft Auto pre-San Andreas", It's no wonder!

Save for the part where it was made by Takeshi Miike.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

DStecks posted:

I will never not be annoyed by Bennett's massive blind spot in the shape of "But character's spoken language must be literally the language the actors are speaking!" I wonder if he gets pissed when he watches movies set in ancient Rome because he thinks the filmmakers didn't realize Romans spoke Latin.

When he's talking about anime, I can understand the issues stemming from language barriers, because it can be tricky when the original dialogue was intended to be spoken as if it were a Japanese speaker conversing with an english person. His Robot Carnival review made a good point about how one of the short films just doesn't work without the dual languages.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

When he's talking about anime, I can understand the issues stemming from language barriers, because it can be tricky when the original dialogue was intended to be spoken as if it were a Japanese speaker conversing with an english person. His Robot Carnival review made a good point about how one of the short films just doesn't work without the dual languages.

That's literally the one time ever he has a point in that regard, though. And it's just such a weird thing coming from a dub guy. It's really bad in his review of Fake, where he isn't able to wrap his head around the idea that an anime might be portraying characters speaking Japanese to mean they're speaking English, even if the characters are ethnically Japanese.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

How did they handle it in the last arc of the Black Lagoon anime? I never watched the dub that far.

CaligulaKangaroo
Jul 26, 2012

MAY YOUR HALLOWEEN BE AS STUPID AS MY LIFE IS

Mischalaniouse posted:

Really? How bad can they--

quote:

Given the history of humanity, which was characterized by very high infant mortality rates, I don't think there is anything special or commendable about "overcoming" such events.

I don't want to play video games anymore.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

Beefstew posted:

Hbomb, why is your house so loving blue?!?! And did you like The Force Awakens? It seems to me that a lot of people who liked the prequels hated it.

My pet theory is the landlady's son was way into Derek Jarman. I'm moving out at the end of the month - I'm gonna miss that room and also the cat.

I'm a bigtime prequel lover, but I thought Force Awakens was very good. It wasn't what I personally wanted in a star wars film, but that's okay. That said, alongside some little problems, the editing wasn't great, both in terms of the way scenes were cut together and also the general plot.

It seems clear that Rey's arc has been altered in editing or in reshoots in an attempt to shorten or streamline the film, making her development seem a little too spontaneous for some people. The Mary Sue criticisms are getting at this but they're still pretty overblown about it. Being suddenly good at the force and doing unexpected poo poo are a staple of star wars. (Han Solo destroys Boba Fett's jetpack, causing his death, and makes an incredibly-accurate blaster shot to save Lando, while blind.) But Rey's characterization (at least post her capture) does feel weak. It's still not bad, but we get such consistent and vivid looks into Luke's and Anakin's heads over the other films that it's disappointing we only really get her first scene and that little flashbacky bit to look into her thoughts.

Kylo Ren was a fantastically compelling character. It's fun watching (his idea of) his grandfather's ideals fall apart while upstarty womans with different ideas about what the force is and 'too much power' outsmart him and break his toys. The ending lightsaber fight falls flat for me because neither Finn nor Rey really have any 'response' to what Ren stands for or represents. The fight doesn't feel like a philosophical argument in fight-form, and more just a fight. I don't think that's happened before in star wars. Rey wins because she happens to be better at the force/fighting, and doesn't get to score the sort of ideological victory that you tend to get in science fiction.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

I think of what makes it seems like she doesn't really have an arc is that they wrote the movie knowing she is going to get at least two other movies to flesh all that out.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hbomberguy posted:

My pet theory is the landlady's son was way into Derek Jarman. I'm moving out at the end of the month - I'm gonna miss that room and also the cat.

I'm a bigtime prequel lover, but I thought Force Awakens was very good. It wasn't what I personally wanted in a star wars film, but that's okay. That said, alongside some little problems, the editing wasn't great, both in terms of the way scenes were cut together and also the general plot.

It seems clear that Rey's arc has been altered in editing or in reshoots in an attempt to shorten or streamline the film, making her development seem a little too spontaneous for some people. The Mary Sue criticisms are getting at this but they're still pretty overblown about it. Being suddenly good at the force and doing unexpected poo poo are a staple of star wars. (Han Solo destroys Boba Fett's jetpack, causing his death, and makes an incredibly-accurate blaster shot to save Lando, while blind.) But Rey's characterization (at least post her capture) does feel weak. It's still not bad, but we get such consistent and vivid looks into Luke's and Anakin's heads over the other films that it's disappointing we only really get her first scene and that little flashbacky bit to look into her thoughts.

Kylo Ren was a fantastically compelling character. It's fun watching (his idea of) his grandfather's ideals fall apart while upstarty womans with different ideas about what the force is and 'too much power' outsmart him and break his toys. The ending lightsaber fight falls flat for me because neither Finn nor Rey really have any 'response' to what Ren stands for or represents. The fight doesn't feel like a philosophical argument in fight-form, and more just a fight. I don't think that's happened before in star wars. Rey wins because she happens to be better at the force/fighting, and doesn't get to score the sort of ideological victory that you tend to get in science fiction.

Nice Jarman reffo

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Anyway, Moviebob (Yeah, I know) Put up a article for The Mary Sue: 2015: The Year South Park Finally Got Old

Old in the "Get off my lawn you drat kids" sense, which yeah.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Hbomberguy posted:

The fight doesn't feel like a philosophical argument in fight-form, and more just a fight. I don't think that's happened before in star wars.

Oh come on, really? Not a single time in the prequels?

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

Tae posted:

Well, the fight with Darth Maul was a philosophical argument where both the Jedi and the Sith argued in favor of over choreography and superficiality. Substance, which had no fighters to fight for it in Phantom Menace, lost be default.

Zephirum
Jan 7, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Alaois posted:

How did they handle it in the last arc of the Black Lagoon anime? I never watched the dub that far.

When Rock translated for Balalaika, Brad Swaile did Rock's lines in Japanese and I think the original Japanese lines were used for the Washimine Group. It was amusing to watch.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I think "philosophical argument in the form of a sword fight" is a bad way to put it. It's an external manifestation of the characters and their emotions for sure, but it's far from just being philosophical. There's a ton of stuff going on internally when Luke duels Vader for the first time, but philosophy isn't really the part that is stressed. More Vader's sense of power and control, him toying with Luke to gauge his strength, Luke being eager to prove himself in battle, all that stuff. I've only seen Force Awakens once so I'd need to rewatch it to get a better sense, but I think I got a sense of that from the ending duel.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I think people are too hard on Rey in general. She definitely has an arc in The Force Awakens, mainly revolving around her developing confidence in herself as an individual, rather than living for other people/droids/causes. That's a big part of the fight with Kylo Ren at the end. Also, that's my second-favorite fight in the entire series (behind the one at the end of Return of the Jedi). Not only is there sufficient emotional content there, but it doesn't go too overboard with the acrobatic and overly-choreographed crap from the prequels. And all three characters wield their sabers in unique and realistically clumsy ways, which is something that was absent from the indistinguishable martial dances from the prequels. Finn swung the saber like a typical blunt weapon, probably the way he was trained; Rey used it like her staff, performing jabs and extreme diagonal swings. And Kylo was... well, his crazy, gut-punching, psyched-up self. Honestly, I'm pleasantly surprised so many people love Kylo. When I first saw the film, I really liked his character, but I was sure the Internet and audiences at large would dismiss him because he's a dumb and angsty pretty boy. But luckily, just about everyone seems to picked up on both the somewhat-subtle and wildly overt mannerisms of his psychosis. I'm so glad they didn't go with cold, efficient, Nazi death lord as the main bad guy again, and instead focused more on a school shooter-type. He's awesome in how un-awesome he is.

Edit: Augus is right about the fights being manifestations of internal conflicts. The Force Awakens just happens to have ones more rooted in personal issues than broad ideological issues (like Luke trying to find an alternative to the comparably toxic orthodoxy of the Jedi in RotJ). TFA is a character movie, plain and simple. It naturally appropriates a lot of the same imagery and structure of A New Hope and The Empire Strikes Back (sometimes subversively), but it's fundamentally about finding identity in a world where it's prescribed. All three of the combatants have this problem, and all of them deal with it differently, hence the fight.

Beefstew fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Feb 11, 2016

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
If I had to fault Force Awakens, it wouldn't be on the characterization, but on the pacing and contextualization. On its own, it is paced quite well, but at the expense of really establishing what is going on and why. My personal example is comparing the Death Star Run to the Starkiller Base attack. The first is one of the most tightly edited and balanced scenes in the entire franchise, while the attack on Starkiller base felt pretty spontaneous and lacking that same attention to detail. There's really nothing wrong with the SB attack, but it is because it lacks that same establishing buildup (the pilots sounding off, S-Foils in attack position, the music swelling to breaking point) that it comes off a little flat.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

Almost all of my issues with TFA can be traced back to Starkiller Base. It just needlessly complicates the story and editing, to the point where it feels like it was just forced into the movie so the rebels could blow something up (probably because it was). It makes the ANH parallels a bit too on the nose, and our main character don't really have much involvement in its destruction. It's just kind of an extra set of scenes that, while still pretty fun, distract from the meat of the story.
I imagine that they originally just had Rey taken to some random First Order base or ship, then staged a rescue. I mean, if you really want some dogfighting in the movie, you could still work that in. Just say that the rebels need to provide air support or something to cover their escape. The superweapon and everyone's nonchalant reaction to it just complicates things and makes the FO's carnage seem flippant and lacking in any real impact. Though to be fair, nobody gave a poo poo when Alderaan blew up either. And I actually like the design of Starkiller Base as a weird mined-out, terraformed planet.
I suppose that without blowing up Starkiller Base, the entire plot would be kind of a downer, since almost everyone comes out worse off. Not to mention that lack of any major villain deaths in the movie. I guess they decided the heroes needed to make a significant blow against the bad guys, or else the ending would seem unsatisfying.

oldman
Dec 15, 2003
grumpy
I just don't enjoy JJ Abrams movies, so there.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

Beefstew posted:

It makes the ANH parallels a bit too on the nose

I would argue that it can't be too much, because it was kinda the point. Almost all of the callbacks to, references to, and subversions of the OT are there as part of a meta-narrative about the new and its relationship to the old. This concept is woven throughout the film in both obvious and subtle ways.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Does anyone call literal invincible Po who basically took out the starkiller by himself (which basically required a 270 tight rotation barrage) a gary stu? Because he is far more of the definition than Rey ever did.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Tae posted:

Does anyone call literal invincible Po who basically took out the starkiller by himself (which basically required a 270 tight rotation barrage) a gary stu? Because he is far more of the definition than Rey ever did.

But Po is a guy and furthermore

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

Tae posted:

I'd agree, he was really annoyingly perfect after his decent intro. Almost as annoying as the fact that the Resistance was using old surplus poo poo so they could be deniable for the Republic to support against the First Order and avoid open war. It made sense at first and felt like a callback to the U.S. support of the Afghanis against the USSR in the 80's. Except Snoke using Starkiller on populated worlds would be like the Soviets responding to that under the table support by nuking the U.S.

So where the gently caress was the Republic's entire fleet (which is now the most powerful force out there) during that final assault on Starkiller? Nowhere to be seen, because nobody can take away from Poe in a random X-Wing doing impossible poo poo and/or forcing Abrams to think of an internally consistent universe where the victory in RotJ accomplished anything but the enemy threat is still credible.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

DeusExMachinima posted:

I'd agree, he was really annoyingly perfect after his decent intro. Almost as annoying as the fact that the Resistance was using old surplus poo poo so they could be deniable for the Republic to support against the First Order and avoid open war. It made sense at first and felt like a callback to the U.S. support of the Afghanis against the USSR in the 80's. Except Snoke using Starkiller on populated worlds would be like the Soviets responding to that under the table support by nuking the U.S.

So where the gently caress was the Republic's entire fleet (which is now the most powerful force out there) during that final assault on Starkiller? Nowhere to be seen, because nobody can take away from Poe in a random X-Wing doing impossible poo poo and/or forcing Abrams to think of an internally consistent universe where the victory in RotJ accomplished anything but the enemy threat is still credible.

Maybe the Resistance WAS the Republic fleet, and Leia Organa had spent the past twenty years voting to cut military spending, so there's no ships.

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

DeusExMachinima posted:

Well the Republic's current capital was destroyed so there was no doubt some political backup that couldn't be reconciled by the time the Resistance had to act. Starkiller Base was already getting ready to attack the Resistance base, after all.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

The Republic fleet can be seen in orbit of the planet when it explodes.

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.

Tae posted:

Po who basically took out the starkiller by himself (which basically required a 270 tight rotation barrage)

OMG PO IS RELATED TO YOUNG ANAKIN

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.
Google. Yes.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Trojan Kaiju posted:

Well the Republic's current capital was destroyed so there was no doubt some political backup that couldn't be reconciled by the time the Resistance had to act. Starkiller Base was already getting ready to attack the Resistance base, after all.

Yeah, it was probably a matter of hours or days to get any real fleet backup, and even then they'd probably have just been big fat targets in the sky for the same reason as sending X-Wings at the Death Star. Don't forget the loving huge Star Destroyer they had in orbit that would've just had them contributing squat to the ground fight anyway.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
You know, I miss Music Movies. Is Paw doing anything these days?

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und

MonsieurChoc posted:

I miss Music Movies too :( I think they were a bit of a headache for him on Youtube, copyright wise. He does lets plays and streams, and he's also a parent of a very young child so that might take up a bit of his time.

KKall
Oct 15, 2012

MonsieurChoc posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=user?pawdugan

Also raising a child.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

On second thoughts there's a lot of stuff going on in the Awakens fight too, and in a sense the lack of a philosophical component is the philosophical component. We're seeing kids fight over a legacy none of them asked to be a part of. So like a lot of real wars, then.
Maz is all like 'the force says you need to be a jedi,' and Snoke's like, 'the force says you need to be a sith', and then the two of them fight. It's a pretty raw deal.

BigRed0427 posted:

I think of what makes it seems like she doesn't really have an arc is that they wrote the movie knowing she is going to get at least two other movies to flesh all that out.
I agree, but I also think it's not great writing. I'm one of those folks who thinks a film can't be redeemed purely by what another film adds to it, or in this case, might add to it.
Luke and Anakin get an arc in each individual film. On top of that, rather than having a smooth transition from each state to another, they change between the films too.

Tae posted:

I can't think of one. Whenever the lightsabers pop out for some old-fashioned jedi-on-verysimilartothejediineveryway swordyfights, there's always something being 'discussed'. The vaguest one is the one with Maul, which functions because Maul's purpose in the narrative is to be this shady character out for a vague 'revenge' we don't ever see. He's designed to raise the question of what he wants revenge against the Jedi for, and Qui Gon has no idea. Given how we never see any of his kind again in the films, it seems clear he stands for some race the Jedi genocided or didn't bother to protect, and he blames them for it.

Augus posted:

I think "philosophical argument in the form of a sword fight" is a bad way to put it. It's an external manifestation of the characters and their emotions for sure, but it's far from just being philosophical. There's a ton of stuff going on internally when Luke duels Vader for the first time, but philosophy isn't really the part that is stressed. More Vader's sense of power and control, him toying with Luke to gauge his strength, Luke being eager to prove himself in battle, all that stuff. I've only seen Force Awakens once so I'd need to rewatch it to get a better sense, but I think I got a sense of that from the ending duel.
The Empire fight is Luke struggling with the notion that the Jedi are wrong, personified through Vader.

I mean he's training in a swamp with Yoda and he realises his friends are in danger. Yoda says 'nah mate, stay here and be all buddhist and stuff, let their suffering and death slide off you bro. btw they're totally gonna die but that's okay. Find enlightenment by doing nothing, like I have for the last thirty years. Did I mention the Republic fell and became an Empire under my watch?'
Luke says 'thanks for the training but holy poo poo, no' and flies away to try and save his friends. He understands on some basic level that the Jedi probably failed and got destroyed for a reason, at this point, but doesn't really want to think about it.

Vader time! He tries to use his newfound powers against Vader, which I think of as like when someone in a debate busts out a new argument they heard from someone who they thought sounded smart, but don't really agree with. Vader recognises this and has all the counterpoints. He's like a robot Hitchens. None of Luke's lessons help him. So the philosophical struggle is that Luke is coming to discover he doesn't actually think the Jedi have all the answers, and he's seeing that by trying to use what he learned and discovering none of it works. Luke is a revolutionary at heart and can't abide the idea of buddhist-style rejection of reality. He actually wants to make things better.

But then, twist! So does Vader. He tells Luke he's his dad. What does this mean? Firstly, the Jedi are huge liars (worse, the kind that justify it with 'point of view' bullshit), but secondly, the reveal is that Vader was a Jedi who also gave up on all their crap in an attempt to find another way. Luke spends the first film and a half believing he's following in his heroic father's footsteps as a hero of the Jedi, and now he discovers that, for his father, being heroic means giving up on them and their bullshit. Vader offers a union where they merc the emperor and take over - implying they would change the parts of the Empire they each hate from the inside - but Luke's so distraught with the realisation that everything he knows is wrong that he tries to kill himself.

What causes him to change his mind, and hold on for dear life? Simple, he still wants to try and make things better, and maybe, just maybe, Vader has a point. When we next see Luke, he's dressed all in black and he's force choking people. Oh no, has he become evil? Nope, he's just using his powers to actually make things better. Revolution means killing oppressors and giving people the strength to fight back, and Luke realises that now. He fucks up a rich mob boss' entire operation and then has C3PO teach teddy bears the art of war.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

I remember hearing about that. That's really great for him! I wish him the best.

...I still miss music movies. :sweatdrop:

• Locked thread